Old 01-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've been keeping up with this thread, and it's sort of like listening to a Ford pep rally....I mean, really, why would any configuration of any brand of a 3/4 ton truck NOT be a good tow vehicle? Seriously?

I can only tell you this about Ford trucks....I looked at them and drove one before I bought my current GMC, and if you had as bad a back as I do, you wouldn't have a Ford.....the seats just killed me. Additionally, the Ford I drove was a 150 with the 5.4L gas engine, and it did not have as much get-up-and-go as the 4.6L Dodge I was replacing.

Don't feel I need a 3/4 ton or a Diesel to tow our trailer, so did not even look at them.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I can only tell you this about Ford trucks....I looked at them and drove one before I bought my current GMC, and if you had as bad a back as I do, you wouldn't have a Ford.....the seats just killed me.
Yup - our F-250 has a pretty stiff ride. Comes with the territory. The only vehicles that I ever had problems with were made by GM. I'll take a dependable truck (Ford) that rides like a truck (F-250/350) any day.

Quote:
Don't feel I need a 3/4 ton or a Diesel to tow our trailer, so did not even look at them.
You probably don't spend too much time towing in the Rockies either.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Yup - our F-250 has a pretty stiff ride. Comes with the territory. The only vehicles that I ever had problems with were made by GM. I'll take a dependable truck (Ford) that rides like a truck (F-250/350) any day.
Had absolutely nothing to do with the ride....my GMC rides like a truck, and very stable. It was the seats in the Ford that I couldn't stand.

Quote:
You probably don't spend too much time towing in the Rockies either.
Went to Alaska and back last summer with never a problem, and yes, there are quite a few mountains between Texas and Alaska, especially the route we took.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #60
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
I've been keeping up with this thread, and it's sort of like listening to a Ford pep rally.....
S,

It is because the the thread and title for the thread is Ford F250 .......

And any one is welcome to create a different thread about a specific different tow vehicle.

As long as this thread does not start down the road of ... this is bash about one brand versus another the thread will remain. Let's please keep it that way.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #61
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have read all of GMA's comments and have to say that I have my second F-250 diesel and never once have I experienced anything like he reports. My first F-250 was an '05 with the 6.0L PSD and I never had a moments problem with it. The only reason I traded was, like Steve, I have a bad back injury from about 20 years ago that was being aggravated by the stiff suspension and seats. I had the leather captain's chairs. They weren't uncomfortable, they just didn't fit my back and didn't adequately support the lower part of my back where it was injured. The irritation had become so bad that I had to undergo physical therapy in October 2007. In December 2007 I traded for a 2008 F-250 Lariat. Now, all of that wasn't due to the truck, but the hard ride was further irritating it because it was overly sensitive because I had re-injured it lifting the hitch head for my Airstream.

My wife has a 2007 Expedition with every conceivable option including heated and air conditioned leather 8-way power reclining front seats (yes, I did say air conditioned front seats). The leather captain's chairs in my '08 F-250 fit my back better and are more comfortable (to me) than the seats in my wife's $44,000 Expedition. So Steve I'm not too surprised that you didn't like the seats in the F-150, but you really did yourself a disservice by not at least trying the F-250.

I am delighted with everything except that I lost about 2--2-1/2 mpg's both towing and on my daily commute with the '08. The ride is light years better than the '05 and the handling is better, too. I will say this, though. I was surprised that the '05 had better towing torque. I attribute that to the pollution controls that were added to the 6.4L.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
**** , California
Unhappy 09 F350 is a exhaust nightmare

Wow... my co-part just came by with is new ford truck.. pu... Does anyone know what that fluid is that needs to go into the tank under the cab? Seems that the underside is covered with all kinds of exhaust plumbing for the Big D enigne. Bet that has to cost. wonder if they are going to put the same system on the F-250's He said that it was to meet the new upcoming emission laws out here in Calif... where we do things a little different than the rest of the country so it seems. What was even more funny ... when he slamed the hood down... the FORD blue oval fell off on the ground... LOL

We are not going to be getting a new ford truck this year... instead we are looking at the new dodges... with what is called the decel braking... the 6 that they have may not have as much power as the fords.. but cummings seems to be doing well in the industry and parts can be had just about any place in the world.

I have to agree that while we have been ford people for a lot of years... we never stopped looking at the other manufacturs. GM has some nice turcks... that according to their owners are the leaders in the business with the allison transmission and customer relations... Dodge on the other hand has quietly been turning out their trucks with out many problems ... so to say one is better than the other one has to define the paramiters. We watched a U tube tug off where they tied a ford to a dodge truck and pulled... the ford burped the trans... which we have known was the weak link in the system... but what did the guy prove... nothing. I don't recommend that you go strap two vehicles togeather and pull from the rear.. to prove who is stronger... lots of heated parts break then.

I know Chevy people who swear by theirs.. and ford people who say theirs is best... I have to agree the new 09 fords don't look like much has changed but under the skin you can see ford is always developing better products. Its just the cost that keeps going up for the new technology that gets more complex with each generation...

Each to their own and that is what makes the world go round... In the end if it gets you their to the rally and doesn't break, cost or drive you to the poor house... its a good horse ahhh (PU)
Old 01-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #63
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
**** , California
Buckstop Bumper used for other things too

Ahhh yes as several of you wrote to me at my home email... the bumper has the brush guard across the front as well as the warn M12 tucked inside...

The secondary reasion for getting it was indeed to put the stone guard across the front of the brush guard.... here I have a piece of heavy canvas that has eyelets in it so I can quickly fasten it across the front of the PU to keep the rocks, stones , gravel and mud from getting to the radiator or attacking (scratching the plastic) chrome grill

It lends itself well to this function when on un-improved roads.. when not needed it then folds up and stores in on top of the winch inside the bumper...

As one asked... what about the air for the radiator... well their is enough room from the brush guard to the front grill .. enough to let the air come in on the backside of the guard protector... thus it keeps the radiator nice and UN-plugged with mud, and other road killers when you are up in the great un-improved areas...

I guess we can put referances to other web sites here... but I will include this one as it shows the damage a deer did to one of the trucks.. and how they improved it so it doesn't do it again... Indeed the best investment besides the rear axle housing cover we have gotten for the truck.. (any truck )
BUCKSTOP Truckware - Heavy-Duty Front End Replacement Winch Bumpers for Ford, Dodge, Chevy Trucks and SUVs

BUCKSTOP Truckware - Heavy-Duty Winch Bumpers - Articles About

BUCKSTOP Truckware featured in Four Wheeler Magazine March 2004
Old 01-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
**** , California
Sorry not much you can do for the old windshield... its going to get pitted and cracked... but so long as they make replacements... good to go
Old 01-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Our F-250 6.0 L Diesel hauled an 11,000# fully loaded trailer from Los Angeles to Wisconsin at 70 mph even through Donner's Pass and Yellowstone without so much as a hick-up. I use Pro-series weight distribution SC. It is an older design but it works well. I also chipped the Ford with Edge Juice Platinum w/ Attitude Monitor. It has multiple settings and you can better monitor the the vitals on the pick-up. Also Ford has included a Tow/Haul switch which will utilize engine braking automatically and locks up the torque converter to prevent excessive shifting. I averaged 14 mpg @ 70 mph on a 2400 mile trip through the Great Divide. Ford's components are cheaper but the towing and hauling capabilities on the diesel are second to none. Good luck on your decision.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #66
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
My local dealer says the 0.0% for 72 months starts Friday, I would never go for 6 years normally, but 0.0% is free money. He vows invoice pricing + $1000 back, on the few 2008's he's got left. I've actually got a F150 and a Nissan Titan I would love to trade both in for this nice F250 4x4 Crew with the 6.4L PSD and lots of options they've got! I'm still shopping for my AS, but a few of our dream trips would be to Alaska, Yellowstone and other mountain areas.

I don't ever want to worry if the truck can get us in or out. The F150 is a 2001 and the Titan's differential is the size of a mason jar lid and known to be a weak point, neither are 4x4.

I guess I don't have a question or answer, just my first post on airforums!

Kevin
Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #67
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Welcome to the forums newroswell. You will enjoy the 2008 F-250. I sure enjoy mine. The diesel/V-10 is overkill for most Airstreams, but no one ever said they wished they'd bought a less powerful truck. My PSD drives like our 30' Safari isn't behind it and that's a nice feeling.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Ditto to Tom above. I have never regretted for a second the purchase of our F250. The thought of a lesser truck would not please me and diesel is getting back to a normal price. Today it was less than premium at the Shell station.

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #69

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey Steve..

Quote:
I can only tell you this about Ford trucks....I looked at them and drove one before I bought my current GMC, and if you had as bad a back as I do, you wouldn't have a Ford.....the seats just killed me.
Maybe your back hurts because of all the time you spend crawling around under your truck playin with your trailer hitch.

Sorry...Just couldn't help myself...

Which reminds me...How is the setscrew setup performing for you? PM me if you have an update.

Thanks,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
f250 is a great tow vehicle.i tow with a 2005 diesel excursion which is an f250 suv.my son in law tows with an f250 2005 diesel.both vehicles make a towing day effortless.his trailer is a 28 foot sob which doesnt track anywhere near as nice as an airstream tow,even though we both use the hensley arrow system.we usually go to fort wilderness once a year and with my setup i sometimes will drive straight thru,like i would without the trailer.i wouldnt attempt towing either of our trailers with 1/2 ton vehicles,unless we were going limited distances which we dont usually do.