Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #221

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
You bought a truck to tow a 10,000lbs GVWR 30'er with 3.55 gears and no tow mirrors (not max tow package)? I call Troll on this whole thing.
He stated that he has 3.73 gears. That plus the 6spd plus the excellent torque output of the 3.5 liter Ecoboost should probably be good enough for the towing, though I think if the max-tow mirrors are any good that's a missed opportunity. There's a lot of aftermarket support for mirrors, at least. The only iffy bits that remain are whether the difference in braking, wheelbase and spring rates in the jump from half ton to 3/4 are necessary for operation in the mountains at a stress level Earthcreeper finds acceptable.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #222
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthcreeper View Post
I sure appreciate all the input. We live in the mid-west and will occasionally be heading to the Rockies and traveling throughout them. We do like the higher country for camping. Would also hope to hit the Canadian Rockies. I fell pray to the hype about the towing power of the EcoBoost. Now that am I here at the door of buying a Classic 30 I am a bit unsure if I made the right decision. This particular truck is rated for 9700-pound towing capacity so the 8400-pound 30 is well within its ability. However, I am unable to find other brother's towing this sort of weight in an EcoBoost. I do not have the Heavy Duty Tow Trailer Package, however, after reading up on it the only thing I am aware I do not have from that package is the tow mirrors and an upgraded bumper, whatever that is. The other stuff is on the truck from the tow package or standard equipment. I had a Duramax before and it pulled my old 30 without blinking but this EcoBoost, I don't know. Anyone want to trade a Duramax for this 2011 Lariat 4x4 Crew EcoBoost?

POI....check the tire's you should have D rated LT's to help with payload.

Bob
Old 04-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #223
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Open this thread a while ago - and guess what I just purchased as my new daily driver?

Yea - luv me a Eco-Boost F-150... :-)
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #224
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Open this thread a while ago - and guess what I just purchased as my new daily driver?
It's about time! After all, you got me to buy one...

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #225
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
I also think that a 25' Airstream should be the limit for any half ton vehicle, but that's my opinion.

Agreed...

.................................................. .................................................. .....

.................................................. .................................................. ....
John,

Confused

Have you changed your mind on the abilities of the 1/2 ton EB, or is the EB a DD and not the TV.

Bob
Old 04-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #226
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
There is a thread running on RV.net that talks about the mileage that ecoboost drivers are getting now that the truck has been out a while. I have a Tundra with the 5.7 and the numbers are very similar to mine except for when running on the highway unloaded. I get between 17-19 while the report for the ecoboost is 18-20. That isn't enough of a difference to make me jump.

If mine was a daily driver the ecoboost makes a lot of sense and it does a good job of towing with the low end hp and torque. I agree with an earlier statement that a half ton should stick to a 25 or less trailer. Just a feeling.

Ford does offer up some beefier payloads on the 150s and that would be something to look into as a tv. I still would want to see how the ecoboost is going to hold up in the long run. I have read about shudder from drive lines and humidity problems with the turbo and the mileage when towing isn't any better than mine.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #227
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
I want to confirm something I read. Someone said that they get better mileage on their ecoBoost if they turn off "sway control" under settings on the F150. I can confirm it is true. my mileage has increased 2-3mpg in a none towing situation. It is always on so you need to turn it off each time you get in the truck. I was amazed as my mileage had been mostly 16.3 and now it hits 19. It has gone over 20 and I had never seen that before, period.
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #228
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
I want to confirm something I read. Someone said that they get better mileage on their ecoBoost if they turn off "sway control" under settings on the F150. I can confirm it is true. my mileage has increased 2-3mpg in a none towing situation. It is always on so you need to turn it off each time you get in the truck. I was amazed as my mileage had been mostly 16.3 and now it hits 19. It has gone over 20 and I had never seen that before, period.
That is interesting. I think sway control uses the ABS system to use the brakes on each wheel to prevent sway, but I wouldn't think it would be activated so often to make a difference in mileage. All recent model trucks have sway control, but I haven't heard of problems like this. On our truck, when a wheel slips, I can heard strange noises (ABS noise), but it only lasts seconds. Maybe Ford has a system different than other manufacturers.

Hopefully, someone can tell us more about how this could make such a difference in mileage.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #229
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
My old Titan is still dragging my Sovereign out to Yellowstone and back every year but now has 150,000 plus miles on it. Sooner or later, something is going to break big time (knock on wood) and then it will be decision time.

I will be looking really hard at the F 150 EB. Of course if Nissan really does drop a little Cummins in an updated Titan I'd have to look hard at that as well...

The sticker prices are pretty turbo-charged as well.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #230
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I was stunned when I read about turning off the sway control to get better mileage but it made sense sort of and was very skeptical until I tried it, I could not believe it. I am on my second Ecoboost and both had lousy mileage. The 22mph they talk about of course is for a 2w drive single cab with the 3.35 rear axle. Anyway, it clearly makes a difference. I just wish it was a feature I had to turn on to use rather than having to turn it off with every key cycle. Sort of annoying and I don't remember every time but.....
Old 04-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #231
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:

F150 EB-or-F250 6.2L

Size ain't everything. I'm having second thoughts on this 35' I recently purchased. Not much weight difference from a 28' in this brand, but "the right feeling" about a rig is the hardest thing to ascertain.

So will this be an every odd-year occurrence? ("JFScheck gets another new rig!!").

------------------------------------------------

An EB seems like a decent choice for a TV that also sees a lot of solo miles . . if one just has to have a pickup. That "payload convenience" comes with a high cost in FE and safety though.

I wonder if the sway control / FE problem just highlights how poor a choice a truck really is for a DD: the program works hard to keep a 1/2T nearer to a car in performance. As trucks roll over where cars spin out (road speed) it makes sense.

And as truck aero qualities are p-poor -- anything above 60-mph is literally, speeding (and safety statistics advocate highly against 65+) -- keeping the truck upright and between the lines is harder than it appears.

Given the propensity for drivers to choose distraction from their single task, I'd guess this makes it that much harder again.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
I also think that a 25' Airstream should be the limit for any half ton vehicle
Bob
Educated more, four years under the belt and if my T-Rex only had the payload of the F-150...

27FB has lighter tongue weight than my 25fb had, wheel base of F-150 nice match to 27FB...

And time on the road with both a 25fb and 30 Classic - I've changed...
Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #233
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
27FB has lighter tongue weight than my 25fb had, wheel base of F-150 nice match to 27FB...
Tongue weights as stated by the company are illusory. Add a few hundred pounds and you may be close to reality.

I agree pickups with 'mover are not all that great as sports cars, but our Tundra handles pretty well and holds the road well. Good tires help a lot. 83,000 miles and we haven't rolled over yet.

Gene

Old 04-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #234
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I agree with an earlier statement that a half ton should stick to a 25 or less trailer.
27FB has less tongue weight than a 25FB - weighs a few hundred pounds more and the Truck's wheel base is long enough for the less than two feet of length difference between the 27FB & 25FB. Don't forget tow vehicle wheel base which was on my mind when that statement was made, in particular to my Touareg.

Thus concluded - 27FB is actually a better fit than a 25FB....

My 25FB Classic that I towed all over with my TDI Touareg (in particular the Rockies) with great success (as long as I minded my Touareg and Trailer weight). My International is even lighter with a new tow vehicle that has almost 4 thousand pounds more capacity.

The folks that have been here a while most likely remember all the scale visits I was making when I had the Touareg - I quickly became quite familiar with how tongue weight increases in relation with load and placement of load within trailer. We also now know that propane is part of the weight measurement supplied by Airstream (remember that debate a few years back) and don't forget to add the weight of the ProPride or HaHa hitch when calculating tongue weight. ?

Looking at the tongue weights of Airstream trailers combined with GVWR, TV load and occupants, etc. paints a quick picture of good combinations of Trailer & Tow Vehicle.

I would have kept my fully loaded 2011 F-350 King Ranch Diesel with only 14k miles on it if I thought I needed it to tow my new 27FB. Reality is for me the F-150 EcoBoost is superior and a better fit for what I'm doing.

If I had kept the 30 or went to a 34 then the F-350 would still be around. The creature comforts of the F-150 over the F-350 make themselves quite apparent coupled with the "Diesel" like properties of the EcoBoost engine - a great package for how I use my travel trailer...
Old 04-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #235
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I agree pickups with 'mover are not all that great as sports cars
Typing too fast—"with 'mover" should be after "I agree". Two sides of brain not connected.

Gene

Old 04-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #236
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
John,

No argument here about towing your 27. Someone posted a long time ago about pulling a 27 with their Tundra. I responded at that time that I wouldn't hesitate since the weights are as you have said. I did get some flak over that since I have never towed a 27. A guy with a 3/4 ton wanted to take me to task.

I still think 25 is a good point at which you really need to think about your TV. Of course I am applying this to white box trailers as well. The weight and length of a 27 does not pose any problems when compared to the 25. Actually, I am starting to have a little 27FB envy to be honest.

Years ago when I towed a white box with my 4Runner there was a lot of talk about wheelbase lengths of TVs. When you pulled with your Toureg, did you get into any of these discussions?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #237
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The 27' FC weighs 365 lbs more and has 46 lbs less tongue weight than he 25'. I can't imagine anyone would notice this difference when towing one or the other, considering the truck and trailer together are over 11,000 lbs empty.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #238
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
The good thing about these discussions is hopefully others are recognizing the fact that one just should not hook up a trailer and take off down the road blindly, but that there is more to the equation for “safe towing practices” to include hitch weights, the impact of said weight upon the tow vehicle’s overall capacity, wheel base, engines, cooling….
Old 04-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #239
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I have been following some posts. I just purchased an AS 25 Classic. Stated dry weight is 6140, tongue weight is 870 dry, GVWR 8000. Hoping to pull this with my EcoBoost with a 3.55 rear axle, does not have Max Tow. F150 rated for 9600 towing and GVRW of 7200. Comments?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #240

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
I have been following some posts. I just purchased an AS 25 Classic. Stated dry weight is 6140, tongue weight is 870 dry, GVWR 8000. Hoping to pull this with my EcoBoost with a 3.55 rear axle, does not have Max Tow. F150 rated for 9600 towing and GVRW of 7200. Comments?
The only things Max Tow brings to the party (vs. the Tow Package) besides the 3.73 rear diff are the integrated brake controller (which is available as a stand-alone option with the regular tow package, I believe) and the extending mirrors. You'd probably notice a little difference pulling steep grades with the 3.73 vs. your 3.55, but in flatter terrain I wouldn't expect it to matter much.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote