Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #201
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Earth, would that be towing in the rockies exclusively or maybe 10% of the time? If you're going to cross the rockies every trip, I would suggest a truck with a diesel. Otherwise, you will probably be fine.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #202
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We have a gas engine and live in the Rockies. We have had no problems crossing passes at high speed. The engine is powerful enough to tow over high passes at 65 without any effort. We tow a 25' and I have no doubt a 27' or 28' would be no problem either.

I haven't studied the weight of the longer trailers, but there are even bigger gas engines than ours and they could be fine for a longer trailer. It has been stated many times by owners of modern gas trucks they have no problem crossing high passes. Diesel is not necessary for medium sized trailers and may not be necessary larger ones. Neither type engine is the answer for every application or altitude.

Whether the EcoBoost is the right gas engine for a 30' Classic is a question without much of an answer at present The truck is pretty new and you may not get any answers for your trailer. Concern has been expressed the 6 cyl. Ford may not last as long as V8's when towing a lot of weight, but it may take a few years to see how the engine performs at high mileage.

Ford and others make larger gas engines and heavier trucks that can easily tackle the high passes with most travel trailers.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #203
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthcreeper View Post
I am planning on towing a Classic 30 #8300 GVRW with an F150 EcoBoost, 3.73 rear end. Is there anyone doing that in the Rockies?
That's better gearing with a transmission with more gears itself than what we used in the 1960's and '70's pulling an 8k GVWR Silver Streak. WOT for long, long minutes behind a big block Chrysler or Cadillac up Raton or La Veta.

If I lived in the Rockies and was towing that regularly, then I might consider another TV. But the fact of turbocharging and pretty good solo mileage makes me think your choice will work out.

As a big truck driver we'd put on the emergency flashers at 35-mph during an ascent. Makes sense to power the TV or the tractor for all but these scenarios, as being slow is no sin.

As always, trailer disc brakes and a VPP hitch are worthwhile.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #204
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Concern has been expressed the 6 cyl. Ford may not last as long as V8's when towing a lot of weight...
Gene, I believe it is you that keeps expressing that concern, over and over and over, isn't it?

Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #205
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Gene, I believe it is you that keeps expressing that concern, over and over and over, isn't it?
Others have as well and some were in PM's to me.

Doesn't matter who said it, but whether it is a valid concern.

Gene
Old 01-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #206
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Who is sowing the seeds of doubt is very much relevant. The brand loyalists are as outspoken here as any forum. The Ford, GM, Dodge, and Toyota fan-boys usually show up in the other brand threads to spread their dislike sooner or later. No doubt they hit the Thanks button or send the PM's when they hear something they like, we've all got them in our inbox.

The ones that actually own this truck are reporting success.

Ford F-150 EcoBoost Sales Reach 100,000 Milestone - Truck Trend News
Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #207
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Who is sowing the seeds of doubt is very much relevant. The brand loyalists are as outspoken here as any forum.
It may be relevant for some purposes, but the concerns remain uncontested.

True that people defend their brand, but that doesn't make them wrong about anything simply because they like what they bought. Our non-Ford truck has not lived up to our expectations and I have posted that elsewhere, but still rates more reliable than all others.

When a thread gets long, I doubt most people read the whole thing when they discover it. Often it you can see it from the questions they ask, ones that were asked and answered scores of posts before. So in that case, it is helpful to repeat something.

I hope this technology works. It will encourage other manufacturers to increase mileage to compete. It saves fuel money. My non-Ford gets lousy mileage as do all V8 half tons. That has to improve. We are curious about what may be the best truck for us someday and therefore, follow this thread. Turbo and direct injection will be used by other truck manufacturers soon to keep up and kudos to Ford for being first.

Gene
Old 01-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #208
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
the concerns remain uncontested.
It has been put through brutal testing, in a pubic and transparent way. Watch the 3 part video. Your concerns are absolutely contested.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #209
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
As Mr. Marley said...."time will tell"

Bob
Old 01-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
F-150 Eco-Boost in my future?

Hi, I myself, am considering one of these trucks to replace my faithful Lincoln. [F-150 Eco-Boost] I, as a car guy from way back, [flathead days] have to realize that modern engines are getting smaller and smaller, yet size for size more powerful; Not to mention longer lasting. I was bouncing back and forth between the Eco-Boost and the 6.2 L engines. The larger V-8 will obviously gulp more fuel and will also lose a lot of ponies in high altitudes. [forced induction will lose little, or no power loss, in high altitudes] I want power for going places that we plan to go and still be able to afford to put gas in the tank. Those of you who have followed my travels, "Bob and Lee's random trip" know that we go where we want to, when we want to, and in what ever conditions the terrain and weather gives us. It seems to me that this type engine might be in every auto maker's future. I also think that a 25' Airstream should be the limit for any half ton vehicle, but that's my opinion.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #211
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
I also think that a 25' Airstream should be the limit for any half ton vehicle, but that's my opinion.
Agreed...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #212
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I have concerns too, but bought one anyway. As ROBERT CROSS posted, "time will tell".
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #213
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Once you go turbo direct injection, you won't want to go back!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #214
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
It has been put through brutal testing, in a pubic and transparent way. Watch the 3 part video. Your concerns are absolutely contested.
I believe the videos were prepared by Ford. Some Ford videos have been posted in this and other threads some time ago that either were the same or similar. They were all Ford ads in essence. Since one can assume bias, everything said in them is suspect.

CR tested the EcoBoost and had other reservations about it, but right now I can't remember what they were; it may have been Ford's general reliability scores and it wasn't about the long term expectations of the engine. I'm sure someone else will remember what CR said.

As others have said, "time will tell". We can revisit this in another year or two, and surely will.

Gene
Old 01-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #215
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
You mean the same Consumer Reports that ranked Coors the best tasting beer in the world?

You're going to have to find a more reliable source to convince me!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #216
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Bozeman , MT
As for the question about pulling a 30' in the rockies. I have a 28' Safari with slide that is about the same weight as the 30 classic. Gross is 9100 pounds, I think I have about 8500 when we leave town along with 1000 pounds in the bed of truck. Last summer Las Vegas to Yellowstone to Billings to Aspen to Grand Lake to Ridgeway, CO and back to Vegas. About 3200 miles no problem with power, gas mileage about 11.crew cab, loaded, 4x4 max tow, 157wb. But please read http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1065912-2011-shudder-at-5-kph-15.html before you buy a 157" WB with the two part drive shaft. Do some searching on f150 shudder. Ford has a problem and from what I've discovered no solution. Not ever truck has problem, but mine sure does. Ford is working on but it's been in 9 times to 4 different dealers and I'm about ready to call a lawyer. From what I can find this has been a problem since 2009 and only with a 157" WB. Does anyone with a 145" WB have the problem. I can recreate with about 500#'s in bed, but much worse with any trailer.
Streamer1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #217
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
You mean the same Consumer Reports that ranked Coors the best tasting beer in the world?

You're going to have to find a more reliable source to convince me!
Good point. I didn't know that Coors actually was beer, but thought it was the product of beer.

As for the shudder problem, if it is a 2 part drive shaft, has anyone looked at the carrier bearing and whether it is positioned properly or the bearings are going bad?

Gene
Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #218
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
In defense of Consumer Reports and all the god beer in the world, it was a review of "eight top-selling regular and light beers".

That says more about popular taste than anything else.

Gotta go pour an IPA........
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #219
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
I sure appreciate all the input. We live in the mid-west and will occasionally be heading to the Rockies and traveling throughout them. We do like the higher country for camping. Would also hope to hit the Canadian Rockies. I fell pray to the hype about the towing power of the EcoBoost. Now that am I here at the door of buying a Classic 30 I am a bit unsure if I made the right decision. This particular truck is rated for 9700-pound towing capacity so the 8400-pound 30 is well within its ability. However, I am unable to find other brother's towing this sort of weight in an EcoBoost. I do not have the Heavy Duty Tow Trailer Package, however, after reading up on it the only thing I am aware I do not have from that package is the tow mirrors and an upgraded bumper, whatever that is. The other stuff is on the truck from the tow package or standard equipment. I had a Duramax before and it pulled my old 30 without blinking but this EcoBoost, I don't know. Anyone want to trade a Duramax for this 2011 Lariat 4x4 Crew EcoBoost?
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #220
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
You bought a truck to tow a 10,000lbs GVWR 30'er with 3.55 gears and no tow mirrors (not max tow package)? I call Troll on this whole thing.