Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Jet engines are turbines, power plants use turbines, the modern turbo in today's trucks & cars used as designed (no chips, especially those that increase boost, mess with exhaust or aftermarket air filters, etc.) will outlast the repercipacating parts of any engine...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #62
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Glad to hear about the advances in turbo technology. Thanks for explaining it in simple terms. Will this mean I'll finally be able to get a flying car?

My next question, asked before, but not answered: the Ford gets pretty good mileage not towing, but it drops down a lot with a trailer. My Tundra gets about the same towing, but not so good not towing—there is much less of a drop in mileage when towing. The big drop in efficiency (would that be the proper word) with the Ford makes me wonder if the engine is at its limit towing and will wear out faster?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #63

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
My next question, asked before, but not answered: the Ford gets pretty good mileage not towing, but it drops down a lot with a trailer. My Tundra gets about the same towing, but not so good not towing—there is much less of a drop in mileage when towing. The big drop in efficiency (would that be the proper word) with the Ford makes me wonder if the engine is at its limit towing and will wear out faster?

Gene
First off, I think you're looking at the efficiency difference in the wrong direction. A big-displacement normally-aspirated engine operating near its maximum output should be operating pretty efficiently if it's well-designed. There's an amount of work that's required to move the metal through the air and up the hill, and doing that work requires fuel.

So, when you look at the EcoBoost getting a little better mileage than similar-output normally-aspirated engines while performing the same work, that should be the efficiency baseline. The EcoBoost offers you a bonus of being much MORE efficient when operating at less than its maximum output, because it doesn't require as much fuel-air mixture to be pumped through just to loaf along at cruising speeds without hauling a load and can dial back the boost pressure, while there's only a certain amount of efficiency to be gained by shutting off cylinders in a V8 since you're still dealing with the same mass and internal friction, which is why that hasn't proven to be a very popular solution in the market.

It is reasonable to expect that the EcoBoost might have a little shorter service life than a good NA V8 around 5-6 liters, especially if a large fraction of the operation of both engines is at rated output. However, with modern engines, you're probably looking at something on the order of 250,000 miles for the EcoBoost vs. 300,000 miles for the V8. That's all just conjecture on my part, of course, but most modern engines are capable of running well for a VERY long time if properly maintained; unless there's some sort of design flaw I expect the 3.5L EcoBoost to have a pretty good service life.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #64
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I'm unsure I really understand what you are saying about efficiency. But, my question wasn't about the superior gas mileage not towing (which is a good thing, of course), but if the Ford engine was being pushed while towing since the mileage drops dramatically compared to the Tundra. But maybe you answer it in your 3rd paragraph, but it seems to be conjecture, which is about all we have now anyway. I'm not keeping a truck for 250,000 miles anyway and I doubt this particular Ford engine is close to that yet.

Next question: Is the Ford built with oversized differential, brakes, driveline, transmission and the rest? I ask that because the Tundra appears to be more like a 3/4 ton except for the leaf springs. What I gather is that the Ford has much higher payload in a 1/2 ton but I may be reading it wrong because I am unfamiliar with the trim lines.

Gene
Old 07-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #65

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
My point about the bigger fuel-mileage delta between towing and not towing for the EcoBoost as compared to the delta between the same conditions on the Tundra is this: The reason there's a big delta is because there's a certain baseline energy expenditure required for doing the work of moving a large heavy truck plus a large trailer, so even the more-efficient EcoBoost engine returns low teens when doing significant towing... the EcoBoost can tailor its output to a broader range of load conditions, so it can offer drastically increased mileage when loads are lower, while the normally-aspirated Tundra engine (or any other big V8) can't, so you don't see as much improvement in those engines when they're just moving the truck.

Ford uses a very different transmission in the F250 than the F150... the current F250 gets the same transmission for gas engines as is used for the diesel. The F150 also uses the one transmission through the entire line, the 6R80 6-speed that's used from the 6.2L Raptor engine down to the normally-aspirated V6. I can't personally say how it compares to the V8 Tundra's 6-speed auto, but I wish I had one on my '07. If I recall correctly, 2WD Tundra transmissions have proved pretty reliable, but some people have had issues with the 4WD transmission. That's something I remember reading about on AIRForums rather than a general Toyota forum, though, so it may be specific to trucks that see a lot of towing. The newish Tundra was out of my price range when I was looking for my used TV earlier this year, so I didn't research it as deeply as I did the previous-gen F150s. (And I've researched the EcoBoost F150 a lot because I'm a turbo-geek and like to dream about the "next truck" even though that's years away.)

With max tow, the EcoBoost comes with the same differential that you'd get behind a bigger V8, and they have big disc brakes at all 4 corners. Braking performance is pretty similar between them according to Car and Driver, but they're not testing the braking with a trailer. I don't know anything specific about either differential, but I haven't heard lots of reports of significant trouble with either brand's recent diffs.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #66
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks again for trying to answer my questions. Our Tundra is not quite 4 and it will be a few years before we are in the market again. I expect significant changes in trucks because of fuel costs in then next few years and it may be fun to watch this develop.

In the '80's turbos were used because the manufacturers had to do something, anything, to boost mileage. It didn't work very well. We may see things improve in other ways, or at least I hope so. Not only do I want a flying car, I want an electric truck.

Gene
Old 07-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #67
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Montana to Minnesota

Here's my 2 cents.

Just pulled into the Minnesota TAC and been towing for three days from Montana. Left Wednesday and towing a 19' Bambi, only got around 11 mpg, but that is traveling 70-75 into a twenty mph headwind. Just came down from North Minnesota to the TAC rally in clear lake, on two lane roads at 60 mph, no wind and averaged 13.5 mpg.

It was hard to keep the truck at 70, as it kept creeping upwards. Too much power, didn't always remember we had a trailer behind . So very happy with this purchase.

As to the price, it was a very well outfitted supercrew XLT with towmax and lots of ammenities. $33,000.00 out of Billings Montana.

Close to 19mpg not towing, 75-80, er 75-75 by laws.

Only about 2,000 miles on the rig. So I am expecting it to be around 13 -14 average towing, and 19-20 non-towing, and the smoothest ride believable, with power untouched.

Drinking a beer in Clearlake, Minn, with the TAC group.

Greg
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #68
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Heads up if you are planning on towing heavy with the new F150; http://www.raptorforumz.com/showthread.php?t=14208

So far the majority of these failures are related to off-roading, but some speculation any heavy load on the rear end will contribute to this condition. The new Fords don't have a lot of history behind them yet...we'll see how this shakes out...let's hope it's isolated to the Raptor/off-road crowd.
IIRC; frame is the same across the 1/2 ton platform.

Anyone here have any problem with new F150 chassis?

Bill
Old 07-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I have heard nothing, lots of folks towing Airstreams, Car Carriers & Boats...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Folks, this is not news to me. Industry insiders know frames and their torsional and lateral rigidity. Do a web search and you will find one mfr worse than Ford and one much better. The fourth mfr., nobody even talks about. You'll have to look for yourself, as this will become heated fast!
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
OOPs, I will say one more thing. The frame issues out there have little to no bearing on towing capability or durability. It is related to heavy bed cargo loads and severe terrain, like off roading....but still......
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #72

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Heads up if you are planning on towing heavy with the new F150; http://www.raptorforumz.com/showthread.php?t=14208

So far the majority of these failures are related to off-roading, but some speculation any heavy load on the rear end will contribute to this condition. The new Fords don't have a lot of history behind them yet...we'll see how this shakes out...let's hope it's isolated to the Raptor/off-road crowd.
IIRC; frame is the same across the 1/2 ton platform.

Anyone here have any problem with new F150 chassis?

Bill
This seems to come from hammering the rear axle into the frame by driving too fast offroad (or I suppose on incredibly rough roads it would do the same thing.) Since I don't want to run in the Baja 1000 in my tow vehicle, it doesn't worry me.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:34 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Took a short road trip From News Orleans to Baton Rouge, on the way back I wanted to see what kind of mileage I was getting. Level ground at 60 27.4 sometimes 27.5. @ 65 25 to 25.3. I like this truck.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
........that's better than my "econo-box" Honda!!
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
........that's better than my "econo-box" Honda!!
Level ground, cruise control. Any change in grade in the upward direction knocks it down quick. No wind that day tail or head. My fuel bill with out the trailer hooked will be cut by more than half. Next I will try to draft an 18 wheeler.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #76
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Great truck

After a 1200 mile trip to TAC Minnesota, I am very glad I purchased this vehicle. Great performance in every aspect. No complaints. Only towing a 19' Bambi SE, but sometimes almost forgot there was a trailer behind. It has also been great around the farm, and around the state without towing.
Just my opinion, but sure glad I purchased this particular truck.

Greg
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #77
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Why is everyone's goal to get to the point where the trailer is no longer behind you. Seems a little counterintuitive.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #78
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Took a short road trip From News Orleans to Baton Rouge, on the way back I wanted to see what kind of mileage I was getting. Level ground at 60 27.4 sometimes 27.5. @ 65 25 to 25.3. I like this truck.

Is this truck a 4x4, or 4x2?

wondering if they have any plans of putting this in the Expedition...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:10 AM   #79
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
After a 1200 mile trip to TAC Minnesota, I am very glad I purchased this vehicle. Great performance in every aspect. No complaints. Only towing a 19' Bambi SE, but sometimes almost forgot there was a trailer behind. It has also been great around the farm, and around the state without towing.
Just my opinion, but sure glad I purchased this particular truck.

Greg
That's a good matchup for a 1/2 ton truck.

What was your towing speed, weight, and mpg for the trip?

Let's have some data to help some Folks out...there is lot's of interest in the eco-boost..we need real world data!?

The 1/2 ton EB w/payload package has great potential!

B
Old 07-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #80
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

Pretty much identical to my 7,400-lb 3/4T Dodge: 24-26 highway. 13-15 towing a '34. 20 around town. But I bet yours rides better, ha!

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote