Old 07-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #29
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
I guess this is what I was wondering about. If they were using stock OEM tires and they were very stable and durable in this high speed test why would the swap to a heavy duty LT tire be any better???
I agree. I wouldn't heavy dutify a 150 unless I absolutely had to. The stock type tires should be more than ample for its payload capacity. On my Tundra the P tires exceed the payload capacity by 3K pounds.

The most important is to match the truck to the load and intended use. These 150s are suitable for mid size trailers. Why give up their smooth ride if they're within the weight limits? I was blown away by how much smoother my Tundra pulled my trailer over buckboard freeways than my F250 w/ E rated tires. I can feel no loss in stability. Too much can just be too much.

I'm certain the Ecoboost would make a great tow vehicle for appropriate Airstream trailer. I love my Tundra but wish these mfgs would have a program to rent the tow vehicles and let us do a tow test. Perhaps my choice would have been the Ford.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Boulder , Colorado
We are about to buy a 27FB and are trying to figure out which TV to buy. We will have a motorcycle and lift in the 8' bed, which will add 800lbs. Love the promo about the Ford 150 Ecoboost and have looked at all the charts for a supercab w/ 8' bed and 163" wheelbase. On paper it would work. We have RV'd for many years, but are new to towing. We are not sure how much excess capacity is necessary for a prudent margin of error, and on the other hand, we do not want to go with overkill and an F350 w/ turbodiesel. Bottom line: Do ya'll think the 150 Ecoboost would do the job?

Fantastic forum w/ tons of relevant info for us newbies to AS.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
The weight of your motorcycle combined with the tongue weight of your Airstream leaves no room for much anything else - I would jump up to a F250 or 2500...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
OEM tires seem to be sometimes, not always, a lower grade than those sold at tire shops, even though they have the same name. Manufacturers of trucks buy what they can get cheap in some cases. Tire companies will sell cheap hoping we will buy the same tire when the OEM's wear out. I think more expensive trim line vehicles will get better tires in some cases. Sometimes the same trim line will come with different tires depending on what they had at the factory that day. It can be difficult to be sure what they are doing at any one time, but the dealer can find out what a specific vehicle has on it. Dealers trade vehicles among themselves all the time so a customer can get what they want.

I have bargained for better tires sometimes, though I don't always—depends on how negotiations are going. If the dealer and I are rolling around on the floor strangling each other, that may be the time to ask about tires between gasps for air. It hasn't come to that yet, though I once got a sales manager so mad he turned red and walked out—a sign of weakness; when he came back he had composed himself, brought the invoice and then we got along fine. I got some of his hold back and Michelins too. I don't advise strangling the sales manager, however, no matter how good an idea it seems. The next time we bought a truck from him, he offered so much for our old truck I traded it (selling it yourself usually brings more); he was a broken man. I love negotiating.

Gene
Old 07-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #33
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
I've had such variable results from OEM tires. I typically get very good life from tires because of easy driving. My truck tires have often lasted 75K + miles. I've had some OEM tires literally melt, a set of Goodyears on my 1500 Chevy lasted 25,000 miles. This has happened on other new vehicles too,. But the Goodyears on my subsequent 1500 Ford pickup were at 70,000 when I sold it. It will be interesting to see how the Michelins do on the Tundra.

One thing I've had great luck with is the tire balance on OEM tires. Almost all of them have been just silky. I'm just a balance freak and won't mess with something balanced so nicely. I'm the guy returning to the shop for rebalances till they get it right.

Agree you got to watch the payload capacity of the half tons. Thats where they usually run out of gas. If you can live within it great.. I do think Ford has a payload package..
Old 07-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #34
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
The weight of your motorcycle combined with the tongue weight of your Airstream leaves no room for much anything else - I would jump up to a F250 or 2500...
YEP!!

Or walk along side....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Las Vegas and Big Sky , Nevada / Montana
Just a quick update. Bought my Ecoboost Lariat Crew Cab 157 WB, the first of April, 3100 miles on truck, only about 500 miles so far towing a 28' with slide, trailer about 8250# depending on how much stuff she thinks she can't live without. Truck has about over 1000-1200# in the bed with a cap. From Vegas to Salt lake, with a side trip to Brian Head (9400' with 13% grade), the Ford is doing much better than the old 08 Tundra I replaced. Tundra would get about 9.8 on same trip, worked really hard on the Brian Head hill, and Ecoboost is at 11.1. I drive at about 65-70, run 87 oct below 5000 and 85 oct over 5000, usually mix every other tank with either 85 or 88 oct when in mountains.. Will get about 20mpg at 65mph without load, but drops to about 17mpg at 75mph. Was hoping to get more like 12 when pulling, but going up a 13% grade was really impressed.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcbuilder View Post
Just a quick update. Bought my Ecoboost Lariat Crew Cab 157 WB, the first of April, 3100 miles on truck, only about 500 miles so far towing a 28' with slide, trailer about 8250# depending on how much stuff she thinks she can't live without. Truck has about over 1000-1200# in the bed with a cap. From Vegas to Salt lake, with a side trip to Brian Head (9400' with 13% grade), the Ford is doing much better than the old 08 Tundra I replaced. Tundra would get about 9.8 on same trip, worked really hard on the Brian Head hill, and Ecoboost is at 11.1. I drive at about 65-70, run 87 oct below 5000 and 85 oct over 5000, usually mix every other tank with either 85 or 88 oct when in mountains.. Will get about 20mpg at 65mph without load, but drops to about 17mpg at 75mph. Was hoping to get more like 12 when pulling, but going up a 13% grade was really impressed.
tlcbuilder, great report and music to my ears as I want the F150 Ecoboost. I assume you got the 'max trailer package', but I wonder if you got the 'heavy duty payload package' as well? If so, does it still ride more comfortably than the 250? Many on this forum feel that for payload in the bed, that the 250 is necessary. I'm thinking more along your lines, but am still gathering info.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Towing capacity and payload are two dif things. I had to sell my half ton because with two vespas and chairs in the bed, us in the cab, and the hitch weight all added together I was over the payload. However I was well under the towing rating. jim
Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Towing capacity and payload are two dif things. I had to sell my half ton because with two vespas and chairs in the bed, us in the cab, and the hitch weight all added together I was over the payload. However I was well under the towing rating. jim
Understood. The F150 Ecoboost w/ the max trailer pkg, and heavy duty paylod pkg has a payload capacity of 2,670lbs and a tow capacity of 11.300lbs. The bike, lift, tongue wt (before equalizer), and both of us is still < 2,000lbs. I just wonder if the heavy duty payload pkg makes for a rough ride.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #39
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
There's a guy on rv.net "skipnchar" (or close) who has the ecoboost max trailer, and max payload. He posts frequently about his truck. Perhaps you could join over there and run that by him..
Old 07-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Drove the Ecoboost today
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I have a 2011 F350 King Ranch Crew Cab short box with 19" rims - absolutely no complaints about my ride (comparing this to my Cayenne S with air springs or Touareg with steel springs and I have many "german" cars so used to "firm suspensions"...).

I would think the EcoBoost F-150 heavy duty payload package would ride just as fine as long as your not looking for that old American 70's era "Luxury Floaty Feeling". Thank Goodness us Americans converted to more of a "German Touring" suspension in years of late....
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Motzen,
Get the ecoboost. I have supercab with 8 foot box and hd payload package and max tow.
You won't even know the bike is in the back and the trailer will pull just fine.
I have a 400 lb commercial cap on mine and tow a 31 foot airstream. Just went from Toronto to Pennsylvania and it towed in sixth and dropped to fifth on the hills. Now those aren't mountains but those are both overdrive.
I didn't even need to put it in towhaul mode.
They say to do that if the tranny is hunting for gears and shifting a lot.
Also the fuel economy when not towing is great.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote