Old 05-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #351
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Glad you aren't offended, Jim.

Maybe Ford's are accurate. My truck and SUV aren't and if I recall correctly, owners of other brands have reported inaccurate mileage numbers from their trucks when they compare at gas stations.

And, why are their 2 EB threads? Shouldn't they be combined? They've kinda run their course by now, and I suppose that's why they are wandering from topic to topic. When someone has a problem or has topped 100,000 miles, I suppose there would be some news.

Gene

Old 05-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #352
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
My Ford Ecoboost is the first vehicle with a real time fuel consumption read-out. A new toy to an engineer...

I've been tracking mileage closely. The consumption meter on the truck matches very well the read-out at the pump. The maximum error to date is 2.7% All readings are low - the truck understates the amount of gasoline used - or all the pumps are calibrated on the high side. That is - they deliver less fuel then the meter reads.

I do note - one of the gas stations that I frequent (closest to my house) is the most consistently off.

Obviously it's in the gas stations favour to overstate the amount of gas, and it's better for Ford if the truck computer understates...(fewer complaints).

I've been running with premium fuel for towing over the past few trips - will switch to regular to see if it makes a different - either for the mileage, or any feeling of power loss.

On my previous rig (Toyota Sienna pulling an SOB) it was cheaper and easier to tow with premium.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #353
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Try using ethanol free gas for better mileage and longevity. There are apps/web sites that will show where the stations are located Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #354
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Try using ethanol free gas for better mileage and longevity. There are apps/web sites that will show where the stations are located Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Hi, more than I expected, but there are six gas stations in the entire state of California. This would not work well.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #355
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I was not aware that the Echo Boost would tolerate ethanol. I have read that some mix regular with premium when towing and back to regular when not towing. On the verge of ordering F-150 so I am following these and other posts daily. Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #356
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
My odometer reads a little high—about 2.5 % for a long time, but less than 1% now that the tires are getting close to worn out. That's not enough to account for a 1-2 mpg difference. Other vehicles had the same variance. There seems to be no good reason these things shouldn't be accurate with all the computer whizbang stuff, so I can't explain it except the manufacturer wants me to think I'm getting better mileage than I am.

Gene
Gene,

Measure your tire height, that's the critical measurement, the DIC will already be programmed for gear ratio. Check with Toyota and see if the PCM can be re-set.

Our's was set at 29" from the factory, the actual measurement was 31" because of a tire upgrade option that the selling dealer did before delivery.
I was able to recal with my FlashPac Tuner that I use for tune-ups and SES light diagnosis.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #357
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
At least in Canada, Shell Gold (premium) fuel is ethanol free. This is what I have been using. Somewhere over the last few months the gas stations would have switched to summer gas which improves mileage.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #358
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Used to be GM only had recals for factory options, but last time I looked at the Tech2, I was surprised to see quite a few available by height measurement. I recaled my van with aftermarket oversized tires a couple months ago.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #359
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Maybe Ford's are accurate. My truck and SUV aren't and if I recall correctly, owners of other brands have reported inaccurate mileage numbers from their trucks when they compare at gas stations.
My non ecoboost Ford onboard mpg calc is about 1.3-1.5 (high) or so from my pump calculations but it is not the newer type- I don't believe

All this discussion is healthy! I joined the F150forum about the same time as this one and have been following the ecoboost owners' comments for the past two years "real mileage" any "issues" etc. I took the ecoboost challenge last weekend and all I can say is WOW. I would like to get one. My summary? The ecoboost is a replacement for BIG V8 power (when needed) with economy of a V6 in normal driving. According to many forum owners, it does not get better mileage towing than the regular Ford V8. So there it is- so far. There are few problems- water in intake is solved.

When Ford drops the weight in the 2015 model and adds more gears, they will effectively have one of the best mpg trucks if not the best. They are already claiming 20% better mpg in "regular" driving over the current model. Consider 300lbs less than competition (min) plus more gearing. Note too the low RPM for torque (2500); Silverado 5.3L 3.42 rear owners claim about 14/21 according to their brag or rag entries online- all normal for pickups but the torque peak requires nearly twice the rpm with a curb weight of about 5100 lbs for 2014 models. That torque is towing bliss.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #360
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I normally run ethanol blended gas in my 2012 F150 Ecoboost. I only know of one station on the coast that sells non-ethanol blend and it is not close to my stomping grounds. I have filled up a couple of times while on the road with non-ethanol blended premium gas and have not been able to notice any improvement in performance or mileage towing or not. Therefore I am currently only using regular. Engine runs smooth and strong with no noticeable stumbling or power lags of any sort. My Mazda Miata turbo on the other hand runs nasty with anything but high octane. It gets 30MPG so I don’t mind spending the extra pennies for premium.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #361
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hi
We just returned from a 3 week trip from Western Washington to Utah and back. We have a 2012 Ecoboost with the Max tow package and a 2012 FB25.
I weighed once during the trip and gross weight for both was 12,680 lbs.
I usually drive under 60 to maxamize fuel economy. I have noticed wind has a big effect on mpg and this trip there seemed to be more head winds then usual.
The data here is from 5 times I filled with gas and we were not unhooked from the trailer.
5 fill ups, mpg figured manually.
1566.9 miles
128.6 gal
12.2 mpg
The on board trip computer for these fill ups showed a difference from +.3 to -.1 mpg from the manual calculations
The same data from a California trip last fall showed 12.6 mpg if I remember correctly.
We really like our Ecoboost but it only has 12,000 miles on it and time will tell if it holds up.
Phil
Old 05-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #362
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, when I replaced the OEM tires (LR C) with LR E Michelins, I gained at least 1" because of the much deeper tread depth. That's when my computer mileage went up a lot and it has been slowly declining ever since toward reality. Tweaking the computer means paying a dealer for something I can compensate for mentally.

One of the good things about the Ford EB is that it is a direct challenge to every other truck company to do something to improve mileage. Chevy has responded, but (sad to say), Toyota doesn't seem to care. They had great hopes for Tundra sales when the truck came out, but the Great Recession intervened and sales topped around 100,000/year instead of the hoped for 200,000. I think sales are gradually getting over 100,000, but if they don't deal with mileage, an aggressive grille isn't going to help much. It does look better than the dorky front end on ours, but mostly I am behind the grille and don't care much what it looks like.

Gene
Old 05-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #363
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
My odometer reads a little high—about 2.5 % for a long time, but less than 1% now that the tires are getting close to worn out. That's not enough to account for a 1-2 mpg difference. Other vehicles had the same variance. There seems to be no good reason these things shouldn't be accurate with all the computer whizbang stuff, so I can't explain it except the manufacturer wants me to think I'm getting better mileage than I am.

Gene
Gene,

One possibility for the difference between what the mpg readout is saying and the real world gas pump might be programming. The engine's computer knows exactly how much fuel is getting used, but it may not know or care about the truck's mpg readout. All the computer cares about is getting the right amount fuel to the engine for the current load. Sure it uses vehicle speed as one of it's inputs, but that doesn't mean that it thinks in terms of mpg, nor does that mean that the number that is getting returned to the driver is the most accurate number. I cannot tell you how the computer is measuring the amount of fuel, but I would hazard a guess that it is measuring more of a rate of fuel flow per period of time rather than per distance traveled. So at least part of the difference might be due to the program or programming of the device (secondary computer) that takes the engine computer's data and converts it to mpg.

Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #364
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I don't know why people say changing the tire size should make a difference since the computer uses the same numbers for mileage and the odometer (unless they are using a GPS for miles with their calculations).

I have read complaints from people with Fords, Dodges, GMs and Toyotas that their computers were off for mileage though.

I have a Chevy and my computer is very accurate. On a 2594.7 mile trip (mostly towing) my computer said 10.4 MPG and the math said 10.29 MPG with 2 fill-ups being off, that's close enough for me.