Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #281
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Hey, F-150 and 1500 owners - open the door jam and read your max payload capacity. On my F-150 EcoBoost it was 1209lbs. So much for Fords tow guide and it's use. Expensive lesson.

That being said, if you can live with the max capacity, the 2013 F-150 Crew Cab with the new Sony Synch Nav/Stereo, ride, handling, seats and that wonderful EcoBoost engine are great!

Yea - expensive lesson indeed, and that's all I'm gonna say....
The max payload capacity of the F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost is 2400-2600 lb (depending on 4WD/2WD.) Clearly that's not the configuration you purchased. Spending that kind of money, one should tell the salesworm what one needs, not let it sell you something.
__________________

__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #282
Rivet Master
 
richinny's Avatar
 
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Hey, F-150 and 1500 owners - open the door jam and read your max payload capacity. On my F-150 EcoBoost it was 1209lbs. So much for Fords tow guide and it's use. Expensive lesson.

That being said, if you can live with the max capacity, the 2013 F-150 Crew Cab with the new Sony Synch Nav/Stereo, ride, handling, seats and that wonderful EcoBoost engine are great!

Yea - expensive lesson indeed, and that's all I'm gonna say....
john, the full story is available. the guides are out there to calculate the final numbers. my estimated weight was only 50 lbs. under the delivered weight (5450 empty) i do envy your heated and cooked seats though.
__________________

__________________
Ricky
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #283
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The max payload capacity of the F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost is 2400-2600 lb (depending on 4WD/2WD.) Clearly that's not the configuration you purchased. Spending that kind of money, one should tell the salesworm what one needs, not let it sell you something.
I missed the edit window. I want to be clear about my somewhat tart response. I'm not a fan of most car salespeople. Any of them who sells someone a truck as a towing rig because it's "on the lot" rather than helping them find the right one for their needs should be selling something else. Unless you're buying a vehicle from a salesperson you actually know and trust, you should assume they are NOT your friend and do your research before writing your check.
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #284
Rivet Master
 
kscherzi's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,137
Images: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post

So - let's be gratuitous and say your max payload is 1330lbs...

Subtract 840 for tongue
490 pounds
Subtract 200 for topper
290 pounds
One driver with clothes on 210 pounds
80 pounds till max
And one passenger with clothes 130 pounds
BOOM - 50 pounds over max capacity....

Your Max capacity can be found on drivers side door jam - bet ya it's more like 1209lbs...

And that's assuming you have both axels used under their max capacity and you are not exceeding you OEM rims or tires...
Max payload includes a 150lbs credit for the driver and a full tank of gas, so you are still under capacity by 100lbs.
__________________
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #285
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I missed the edit window. I want to be clear about my somewhat tart response. I'm not a fan of most car salespeople. Any of them who sells someone a truck as a towing rig because it's "on the lot" rather than helping them find the right one for their needs should be selling something else. Unless you're buying a vehicle from a salesperson you actually know and trust, you should assume they are NOT your friend and do your research before writing your check.
I have a little dealer experience....

Find a dealer with a LOT of white on the lot...


Usually indicates they have a good commercial business. The staff usually has more knowledge on all things truck...bring the Service Mgr/Adviser into the discussion.

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #286
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Rion, if you can find a link to the referenced post it would be helpful to review. The tongue weight of the FC 25 FB is 837 and the 25 SS is 835, I towed a 25 SS with my EB and was never close to overloaded. I tow a 28 and still not overloaded. The 28 is has a Tongue weight of 976 mine Sherline scale tell me mine is at 840 with a Hensley in place. I keep my tanks M/T most of the time. I have not made it to a Cat Scale, I think that I need to do check out the trailer at a Cat Scale to be sure I am not living in a dream world.

Jim
Jim,
I'll see if I can find that post. It might take a while though. However, all this talk about the capability of the F150EB to handle a 25' AS may become a mute point when the 2015s come out. Apparently, Ford is going to increase the power of the EB engine with EBv2, but at the same time switch to a unibody design if this article is to be believed with a tow rating of only 7,500 lbs. Yikes!

Ford F-150 Going Unibody For 2015 - Truck Trend News

Cheers,
Rion
__________________
GinMame (Rion & Nobuko DuVall)
AIR# 58703
TAC CA-24
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #287
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinMame View Post
Jim,
I'll see if I can find that post. It might take a while though. However, all this talk about the capability of the F150EB to handle a 25' AS may become a mute point when the 2015s come out. Apparently, Ford is going to increase the power of the EB engine with EBv2, but at the same time switch to a unibody design if this article is to be believed with a tow rating of only 7,500 lbs. Yikes!

Ford F-150 Going Unibody For 2015 - Truck Trend News

Cheers,
Rion
Do take note of the date that story was "published." It pays to take things announced on 1 April with a grain of salt.
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #288
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Rion,

I've never weighed the tongue. To figure out what we could do with this setup, I used a bunch of guesses and weighed many items on a bathroom scale when we bought the trailer.

I took whatever Airstream said was the tongue weight, added for spare tire and propane and then some more because Airstream underreports some times. I figured out just about how much we would take in the trailer, weighing clothes, food, etc., and then adding several hundred pounds to see we would come up pretty far below gross wt. for the trailer. A history of backpacking helps you think light when traveling.

I figured the payload by taking the Toyota numbers, subtracting options (tonneau, running boards), our weight and weights of stuff we take and tongue wt. adjusted for wt. distributing hitch. We came very close to payload.

Everything looked fine. This was more than 5 years ago, so I can't remember all the figuring, but I was satisfied. There are no scales within 50 or more miles of where we live (I looked—the last one closed years ago), and by the time we are on the road, I want to get somewhere and not look for a scale. So I've relied on the estimates, guesses, and things weighed. My experience with 6 Toyotas is they are overbuilt, so being right up against payload doesn't bother me. If you get within payload and use a weight distributing hitch properly, you should be fine on the axles.

I know many say you have to go to a scale, but there's plenty of information available (some by weighing what you take) and you can figure it without leaving your house. Put as much weight as possible between the truck axles and balance from right to left in both vehicles.

Gene
Gene,

Thanks for the information. Your experience seem to echo what other Tundra owners have told me about the capabilities of the truck. At least until about 2016 when Toyota unveils their unibody version with a V6 turbo diesel or hybrid power train.

Cheers,
Rion
__________________
GinMame (Rion & Nobuko DuVall)
AIR# 58703
TAC CA-24
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #289
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Do take note of the date that story was "published." It pays to take things announced on 1 April with a grain of salt.
True, but it makes sense. Truck makers need to get their CAFE ratings up and for their part, I'm sure that they would love to force buyers that need to tow into oil burning 3/4 ton trucks as it would increase profits over the life of the vehicles. I know that there have been rumors about Chevy going unibody on the nextgen after the 2014 models and perhaps bringing a V6 Duramax to the game. If one considers the 2014 remake of the Tundra, Toyota isn't changing very much, but I'm sure that if I were a fly on the wall of one of their design center's conference rooms that I would hear the word unibody tossed around along with smaller engines as a way to increase fuel economy.

What is going to happen, who knows, and for me that is the fun part. Fortunately, I like the F250 Powerstroke and 2500HD Duramax. Unibody or not, I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over it.

Cheers,
Rion
__________________
GinMame (Rion & Nobuko DuVall)
AIR# 58703
TAC CA-24
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #290
Rivet Master
 
JFScheck's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,474
Images: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Max payload includes a 150lbs credit for the driver and a full tank of gas, so you are still under capacity by 100lbs.
Does not - read the Ford owners manual - they are very clear about this - even with pictures of a trailers tongue, peeps (include driver) and cargo and two very clear examples, all using the drivers weight in calculations. That max capacity number as found in the door jam only includes full tank of gas...

Also - for F-150's - max useable load varies from vehicle to vehicle but none exceeded 1330 pounds on the lot, that includes a truck with heavy duty towing package which does nothing for weight capacity.

Unless you have max payload, then You are most likely over weight in any manufacturers F-150 or 1500...

I just lost over three thousand dollars the hard way learning this lesson (oh yea, and 800 bucks on a ARE topper that was ordered and I paid restocking fee) in my one week of ownership. Just glad I didn't even attempt to hook up my new 27FB. My fault as I used the Ford towing guide and their posted weights via axle capacity, GVWR, etc.

Only till I read that one page in the owners manual and found that sticker in the door jam with those examples (really Ford - four men and golf clubs using a F-150 to go golfing?) that it struck me what the actual truth was, as painful and embarrassing as it was and posting this is. Talking to some legal friends of mine who are GC at an insurance company (good sized) - you have any accident and you are a pound over your max capacity you will be held legally neglect by "Johnny Law" as well as will not not have your claim processed.

I know no one wants to hear this - but I'm just trying to help pass along the facts and am glad for once I read the owners manual.

Still hard to believe - my TDI Touareg had more max payload then any 2013 F-150 in the DC area.

Boy, the lesson's I continue to learn about Airstreams and towing just when I thought I was ahead of the curve - and so smug about it...

Anyways - enough beating this dead horse, done with this thread...
__________________
John "JFScheck" Scheck
2015 Roadtrek CS Adventurous XL
2015 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 XL Chassis with Mercedes BlueTec V6 Diesel
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #291
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Does not - read the Ford owners manual - they are very clear about this - even with pictures of a trailers tongue, peeps (include driver) and cargo and two very clear examples, all using the drivers weight in calculations. That max capacity number as found in the door jam only includes full tank of gas...

Also - for F-150's - max useable load varies from vehicle to vehicle but none exceeded 1330 pounds on the lot, that includes a truck with heavy duty towing package which does nothing for weight capacity.

Unless you have max payload, then You are most likely over weight in any manufacturers F-150 or 1500...

I just lost over three thousand dollars the hard way learning this lesson (oh yea, and 800 bucks on a ARE topper that was ordered and I paid restocking fee) in my one week of ownership. Just glad I didn't even attempt to hook up my new 27FB. My fault as I used the Ford towing guide and their posted weights via axle capacity, GVWR, etc.

Only till I read that one page in the owners manual and found that sticker in the door jam with those examples (really Ford - four men and golf clubs using a F-150 to go golfing?) that it struck me what the actual truth was, as painful and embarrassing as it was and posting this is. Talking to some legal friends of mine who are GC at an insurance company (good sized) - you have any accident and you are a pound over your max capacity you will be held legally neglect by "Johnny Law" as well as will not not have your claim processed.

I know no one wants to hear this - but I'm just trying to help pass along the facts and am glad for once I read the owners manual.

Still hard to believe - my TDI Touareg had more max payload then any 2013 F-150 in the DC area.

Boy, the lesson's I continue to learn about Airstreams and towing just when I thought I was ahead of the curve - and so smug about it...

Anyways - enough beating this dead horse, done with this thread...
Mine states" The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 708 kg 0r 1561 lbs." I have the standard tow package and 3.55 rear end. I would like to see a bit more but I am within safety limits. DC dealers are really ordering the really base trucks. Mine is a 2011. Mine is a trimmed out Lariat package and is 2011. I originally pulled a 25 now a 28, I don't load the truck or the trailer heavy, but if you carry a lot of toys or have a large family I see how you could run into a issue.
__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #292
Rivet Master
 
rodsterinfl's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,432
Images: 8
Door Sticker Ecoboost, VW and F150

Quote:
Still hard to believe - my TDI Touareg had more max payload then any 2013 F-150 in the DC area.
VW and Touareg
Extremely hard to believe. The stats on a 2013 TDI payload are hard to find but are rated at 1155 lbs. maximum with a towing capacity of 7700 lbs. maximum. My trailer, unloaded with full LP has a tongue weight of 960 lbs. as per CAT scales. That would leave 195 lbs for me and stuff in the Touareg. Many sources do not list the payload rating as it is an SUV; however, the cargo capacity is the same. I am somewhat OCD (obsessive compulsive) in my shopping behavior. I have trouble parting with money if I am not sure of getting the best I can afford. At the time, I owned a 2010 VW TDI Sportwagen I looked at the Touareg for a TV. It is a beautiful and capable vehicle but has a shorter wheelbase and light payload like most SUV offerings that are not full sized.

Here is a payload rating source:

Specifications - 2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux - Yahoo! Autos

Ford, towing and in general
The Ford towing guide is a good source but any buyer has to confirm that the F150 they are buying has certain packages that meet the need. They make a slew of them. First off, a towing package should be a requirement for any Airstream tow vehicle shopper- no question. Study the marone sticker. If buying used, pull it down from the Ford website online for free. The codes tell which axle diameter the truck has, rear, packages, etc. That is the way to verify the truck and match it to the towing guide data. My truck door sticker is as shown in the posted pic. I have a regular payload truck with tow pkg BUT the data indicates that my truck had a build upgrade from 6800 to 6900 lbs. GVW for whatever reason. It has few options. My towing capacity is 8100 lbs. These are specific to my truck- current model style 4.6L 3V 3.55 rear. There are many configurations that go well beyond my ratings. There are some areas of confusion within any particular data like, for example, the 4.6 liter engine. Ford made TWO DIFFERENT iterations of that engine and they are quite different. Often people confuse my engine with the low powered 4.6 liter base engine and wonder how I can tow yet the larger 5.4 liter of the same vintage was only 28 hp more and 70 ft lbs better in torque than my engine. The 4.6L base? 72hp less and 98 ft lbs lower. In reality, the biggest difference is tow capacity and how fast you can go up a hill but, that is why they make gears!

Ecoboost
The ecoboost is a great example of meeting a goal- big engine power from a smaller engine with slight crusing speed mpg improvement. The 4.6 3V SFE achieved nearly the same mileage as the base eco but lacked the big engine grunt as a smaller engine and lower torque and 3.15 rear. The eco primary gain of power without penalty was achieved. They also seem to be able to be driven at a faster speed at better mpg than the 4.6L 3V. Do they require premium fuel while towing? Some say yes. I also heard that the next iteration of the F150 will be focused on mpg. The scary word is that it was reported that a spokesperson stated that most people are not concerned with heavy towing or payloads. My thought is that they will not go less than what Chevy will release this year in their new model capabilities. You are right though as all manufacturers will start pushing the tow crowd to bigger trucks towing over 7500 or so pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-20.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	184319  
__________________
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #293
Lost in America
 
mojo's Avatar
 
2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Also - for F-150's - max useable load varies from vehicle to vehicle but none exceeded 1330 pounds on the lot, that includes a truck with heavy duty towing package which does nothing for weight capacity.
My Ecoboost with max tow has weight capacity of 1755lbs.
__________________
This is the strangest life I've ever known - J. Morrison

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #294
Rivet Master
 
1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 939
My F150 supercab with 8 foot box and HD payload package and Max tow has a payload capacity of 2740 or 2760 lb. Can't remember the exact amount.
If you don't believe me say so and I'll go outside and check.
Al
__________________

__________________
Al and Jean

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford F150 3.5L Eco Boost tlcbuilder Tow Vehicles 601 05-19-2014 09:05 PM
Can a Ford Flex tow an Airstream Nigel Tow Vehicles 204 12-01-2013 07:47 PM
Questions - Ordering 2011 F150 Ecoboost KerryFO Tow Vehicles 46 11-03-2011 06:32 PM
ordering our next TV - 2011 F150 EcoBoost jm2 Tow Vehicles 20 03-31-2011 06:29 PM
Ford hitch 2.5" to 2" adapter hhendrix Hitches, Couplers & Balls 15 03-28-2011 09:32 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.