Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,840
So far the mileage figures vary considerably. It seems like they drop a lot when towing and if 11.5 (post #6) is what you get with a 6,000 lb. trailer, that's about the same as our Tundra. The non-towing mileage is substantially higher though. Does this mean the Ecoboost is straining when towing? With the smaller gas tank (same as the Tundra) that mileage figure means gas every 200-250 miles.

Our truck has a ways to go yet, but we are interested in how this works out. I would expect GM will be out with something like this soon. The Tundra is due for an updated model too.

Gene
__________________

__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
So far the mileage figures vary considerably. It seems like they drop a lot when towing and if 11.5 (post #6) is what you get with a 6,000 lb. trailer, that's about the same as our Tundra. The non-towing mileage is substantially higher though. Does this mean the Ecoboost is straining when towing? With the smaller gas tank (same as the Tundra) that mileage figure means gas every 200-250 miles.

Our truck has a ways to go yet, but we are interested in how this works out. I would expect GM will be out with something like this soon. The Tundra is due for an updated model too.

Gene
Have you seen the NASCAR tow?
YouTube - ‪2011 Ford F-150 Ecoboost Torture Test - 24 Hours of NASCAR Track Testing‬‏

I would have to think that Ford forgot to mention the team of engineers and techs who were maintaing the engine for these commercials. I also wonder if more than one engine was pulled and the commercial was about the best or the survivor. I now own one so time will tell.
__________________

__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
JFScheck's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,474
Images: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I'm assuming that in terms of pulling power, most, if not all AS TT owners could use the F150 EcoBoost V6 if they chose to.
Unless your like me who now that he has a bed in the back of his tow vehicle likes to load it up!
__________________
John "JFScheck" Scheck
2015 Roadtrek CS Adventurous XL
2015 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 XL Chassis with Mercedes BlueTec V6 Diesel
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master
 
MarkR's Avatar
 
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 725
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Last Friday I was returning from an out of town trip in my 2001 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat Oxford White with 120K on it, I called the wife and told her the truck was losing power and I was concerned that I may not be able to pull our 25' Safari to evacuate in case of a Hurricane. Her reply was go buy any new truck you want it is fathers day . . .

Jim

Wow . . .

Do you think you can ask your wife if I can get one too?

Ford has "put a spell on me" and I'm in some kind of F150 EcoBoost trance . . . I keep trying to tell myself that, "my truck is paid for, it can pull the trailer just fine . . . "
__________________

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
***
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
mutcth's Avatar

 
2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
The truck in going to Ford tomorrow to add the Ford brake controller
Jim, can the dealer install the integrated brake controller, complete with tying it into the dashboard display? I'm curious because GM says in no uncertain terms that a dealer can't install their integrated controller post-factory...

Tom
__________________
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master
 
Road Ruler's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,364
Images: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Wondering about the tires on the truck and trailer when used in this high speed test.

Probably not LT tires on the truck and probably not ST tires on the trailer.
__________________
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #21
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Jim, can the dealer install the integrated brake controller, complete with tying it into the dashboard display? I'm curious because GM says in no uncertain terms that a dealer can't install their integrated controller post-factory...

Tom
I don't know if a Ford dealer *WILL* install their IBC as a dealer option, but it can be done. According to various F150 websites, it's a plug-and-play operation if you have an F150 for which the IBC is an available option. The harness is back there and the software will recognize it once you plug it in.

This is hearsay, however... my '07 didn't have the option so I have a P3 controlling my trailer brakes.
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I don't know if a Ford dealer *WILL* install their IBC as a dealer option, but it can be done. According to various F150 websites, it's a plug-and-play operation if you have an F150 for which the IBC is an available option. The harness is back there and the software will recognize it once you plug it in.

This is hearsay, however... my '07 didn't have the option so I have a P3 controlling my trailer brakes.
Yes, I had mine installed Monday. They had the truck for the day. I haven't hooked the trailer to the truck yet but when you activate the manual brake switch the computer tells you that a trailer is not connected. I have seen the Ford controllers on ebay. You do have to have the Ford tow package option.

Jim
__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Wow . . .

Do you think you can ask your wife if I can get one too?

Ford has "put a spell on me" and I'm in some kind of F150 EcoBoost trance . . . I keep trying to tell myself that, "my truck is paid for, it can pull the trailer just fine . . . "

Donna said you can get one.
__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #24
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Wondering about the tires on the truck and trailer when used in this high speed test.

Probably not LT tires on the truck and probably not ST tires on the trailer.
Your are correct, I think it was one of the best advertising campaigns for a new model truck launch ever, who doesn't trust Mike Rowe. I would like to know more of the details such as the tire issue you stated and if more than one engine was pulled. It worked on me, I have been driving the truck for 2 weeks today and still on my first tank of gas, I would have filled the old F-150 up by now and been on empty again. Power to spare and the Sync System works great. I don't have the nav screen display but I did use the turn by turn directions feature in the Sync System worked flawlessly.

Jim
__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #25
Incorrigible
 
Ike T's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 559
I am not sure they used anything other than an OEM-level truck tire. The trailer tires are never directly shown, but there is a clear shot of the tread of the tires somewhere around 50 seconds. Looks like they are Goodyear Wranglers SR-A.

Stock equipment on a 2011 F-150 CrewCab appears to be an 108S or 108T speed-rating tire, which should be acceptable for the speeds shown in this video.

I agree that Mike Rowe is a huge upgrade from Dennis-what's-his-name in terms of advertising impact. Mike's like the guy next door with no worries and all the toys.

Just some thoughts out loud this morning.
__________________
Tim

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master
 
pappy19's Avatar
 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,418
Most good tire shops including the Ford dealer, will swap out your factory tires for a different set and for not too much difference. I would highly recommend an "E" rated (old 10 ply rating) tire as the F-150's probably come with "C" rated.

Pap
__________________
2008 F-250 4X4 Lariat V-10
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #27
Rivet Master
 
Road Ruler's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,364
Images: 39
Quote:
Most good tire shops including the Ford dealer, will swap out your factory tires for a different set and for not too much difference. I would highly recommend an "E" rated (old 10 ply rating) tire as the F-150's probably come with "C" rated.
I guess this is what I was wondering about. If they were using stock OEM tires and they were very stable and durable in this high speed test why would the swap to a heavy duty LT tire be any better???
__________________
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #28
Chief Chili Cook
 
newroswell's Avatar
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 738
I'm pretty sure the truck has Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's also. Worst tires I've ever owned on my Titan. I wonder how many sets they went through.

Wrangler SR-A | Goodyear Tires
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wrangler-sra.png
Views:	124
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	133834  
__________________

__________________
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford F150 3.5L Eco Boost tlcbuilder Tow Vehicles 601 05-19-2014 09:05 PM
Can a Ford Flex tow an Airstream Nigel Tow Vehicles 204 12-01-2013 07:47 PM
Questions - Ordering 2011 F150 Ecoboost KerryFO Tow Vehicles 46 11-03-2011 06:32 PM
ordering our next TV - 2011 F150 EcoBoost jm2 Tow Vehicles 20 03-31-2011 06:29 PM
Ford hitch 2.5" to 2" adapter hhendrix Hitches, Couplers & Balls 15 03-28-2011 09:32 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.