Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #361
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hi
We just returned from a 3 week trip from Western Washington to Utah and back. We have a 2012 Ecoboost with the Max tow package and a 2012 FB25.
I weighed once during the trip and gross weight for both was 12,680 lbs.
I usually drive under 60 to maxamize fuel economy. I have noticed wind has a big effect on mpg and this trip there seemed to be more head winds then usual.
The data here is from 5 times I filled with gas and we were not unhooked from the trailer.
5 fill ups, mpg figured manually.
1566.9 miles
128.6 gal
12.2 mpg
The on board trip computer for these fill ups showed a difference from +.3 to -.1 mpg from the manual calculations
The same data from a California trip last fall showed 12.6 mpg if I remember correctly.
We really like our Ecoboost but it only has 12,000 miles on it and time will tell if it holds up.
Phil
Scaler113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #362
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, when I replaced the OEM tires (LR C) with LR E Michelins, I gained at least 1" because of the much deeper tread depth. That's when my computer mileage went up a lot and it has been slowly declining ever since toward reality. Tweaking the computer means paying a dealer for something I can compensate for mentally.

One of the good things about the Ford EB is that it is a direct challenge to every other truck company to do something to improve mileage. Chevy has responded, but (sad to say), Toyota doesn't seem to care. They had great hopes for Tundra sales when the truck came out, but the Great Recession intervened and sales topped around 100,000/year instead of the hoped for 200,000. I think sales are gradually getting over 100,000, but if they don't deal with mileage, an aggressive grille isn't going to help much. It does look better than the dorky front end on ours, but mostly I am behind the grille and don't care much what it looks like.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #363
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
My odometer reads a little high—about 2.5 % for a long time, but less than 1% now that the tires are getting close to worn out. That's not enough to account for a 1-2 mpg difference. Other vehicles had the same variance. There seems to be no good reason these things shouldn't be accurate with all the computer whizbang stuff, so I can't explain it except the manufacturer wants me to think I'm getting better mileage than I am.

Gene
Gene,

One possibility for the difference between what the mpg readout is saying and the real world gas pump might be programming. The engine's computer knows exactly how much fuel is getting used, but it may not know or care about the truck's mpg readout. All the computer cares about is getting the right amount fuel to the engine for the current load. Sure it uses vehicle speed as one of it's inputs, but that doesn't mean that it thinks in terms of mpg, nor does that mean that the number that is getting returned to the driver is the most accurate number. I cannot tell you how the computer is measuring the amount of fuel, but I would hazard a guess that it is measuring more of a rate of fuel flow per period of time rather than per distance traveled. So at least part of the difference might be due to the program or programming of the device (secondary computer) that takes the engine computer's data and converts it to mpg.

Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #364
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I don't know why people say changing the tire size should make a difference since the computer uses the same numbers for mileage and the odometer (unless they are using a GPS for miles with their calculations).

I have read complaints from people with Fords, Dodges, GMs and Toyotas that their computers were off for mileage though.

I have a Chevy and my computer is very accurate. On a 2594.7 mile trip (mostly towing) my computer said 10.4 MPG and the math said 10.29 MPG with 2 fill-ups being off, that's close enough for me.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #365
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"I don't know why people say changing the tire size should make a difference since the computer uses the same numbers for mileage and the odometer (unless they are using a GPS for miles with their calculations)."

Because it duz.....think about it.

Bob
Old 05-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #366
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Different tire size means different tire circumference, which would mean different distance traveled per revolution of the tire.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #367
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
I don't know why people say changing the tire size should make a difference since the computer uses the same numbers for mileage and the odometer (unless they are using a GPS for miles with their calculations).
For the sake of this argument assume that the amount of fuel the TV consumes is strictly a function of the actual distance traveled (not what the odometer / computer says - but actual distance). Say 1 gallon of fuel to travel from Town A to Town B. Say Town A and Town B are 1 mile apart.

The TV calculates distance by the number of rotations of the tires. If everything is calibrated correctly then the odometer will measure the correct distance from Town A to Town B and the mileage will be correct. (1 mpg)

If however the owner decides to put on tires that have twice the circumference - then the TV will think the distance from Town A to Town B is now half of what is really is - the number of tire rotations is half that of the smaller tires. (0.5 miles)

Given in this example that the TV uses the same amount of fuel regardless of the tires - the computer will think that the mileage with the larger tires is half that with the smaller tires. Same amount of fuel used...but only half the distance measured. (0.5 mpg)

Hope this helps...
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #368
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
If however the owner decides to put on tires that have twice the circumference - then the TV will think the distance from Town A to Town B is now half of what is really is - the number of tire rotations is half that of the smaller tires. (0.5 miles)

Given in this example that the TV uses the same amount of fuel regardless of the tires - the computer will think that the mileage with the larger tires is half that with the smaller tires. Same amount of fuel used...but only half the distance measured. (0.5 mpg)

Hope this helps...

Ah, but it doesn't do that....the odometer knows that x amount of drive shaft rotations means a certain amount of distance is traveled. If you change the tire size, you change that amount of distance, so the odometer becomes in error, and then so is the mileage, but you really don't know that for sure because all calculations are done against the odometer reading, which is now wrong.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #369
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I have a SuperChips FlashPaq tuner that I use to tune the TV for heavy towing and back to 87 octane gas when not towing. It has a setting for tire circumference to correct the speedometer if you change from OEM tires. No mental gymnastics required.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #370
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
EcoBoost issue

Agency’s Inquiry Covers 400,000 Ford Pickups
By CHRISTOPHER JENSEN
Published: May 26, 2013
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
GOOGLE+
SAVE
PRINT
REPRINTS
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Sunday that it was investigating consumer complaints about “sharp reductions” in acceleration on 2011 to 2013 Ford F-150 pickups that are equipped with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 engine.

The action — called a preliminary evaluation — covers about 400,000 of the F-150 pickups, the safety agency said. A Ford spokesman Michael Levine wrote in an e-mail, however, that number was too high and should be “over 325,000.”

The F-150 is one of the automakers most popular, lucrative and thus important vehicles. And the twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V-6 is one of Ford’s main engines, used to power not just the F-150 but sport utility vehicles like the Explorer, crossovers like the Flex and cars including the Taurus.

Ford is aware of the investigation and will cooperate with the safety agency, a spokeswoman Kelli Felker wrote in an e-mail.

The safety agency decided to investigate after receiving 95 complaints from F-150 owners saying they experienced unexpectedly power loss during hard accelerations. About a third of those complaints said the problem occurred in damp or rainy conditions. There were no reports of accidents.

“Attempting to pass a vehicle accelerating from 55 miles per hour and truck either stutters or stalls,” one owner wrote the agency in February 2012. “This almost caused a head-on collision. I am scared to pull out in traffic or pass anyone.”

The safety agency said Ford had sent three technical service bulletins to dealers telling them how to cope with “intermittent/stumble misfire on acceleration” in humid or damp conditions.

The EcoBoost is a family of engines in different sizes. Ford has widely touted the EcoBoost’s turbocharging and direct-injection technology as providing excellent power as well as fuel economy.

The investigation covers only the 3.5 liter V-6, which made its debut in the F-150 for the 2011 model year. In 2012, about 43 percent of the F-150s were equipped with the optional 3.5 liter EcoBoost, Mr. Levine, the Ford spokesman, wrote in an e-mail.

In the safety agency’s preliminary evaluation, if investigators find additional reason for concern, the inquiry would be upgraded to an engineering analysis.

A preliminary evaluation does not typically result in a recall. That’s more likely — but not certain — with an engineering analysis.

Recalls happen most quickly when automakers are convinced there is a safety problem. It has sometimes taken the agency a year to complete a preliminary evaluation and another year for an engineering analysis.

Last July Ford recalled about 11,500 of its 2013 Escape crossovers because of a fire hazard with its 1.6 liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #371
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
For the sake of this argument assume that the amount of fuel the TV consumes is strictly a function of the actual distance traveled (not what the odometer / computer says - but actual distance). Say 1 gallon of fuel to travel from Town A to Town B. Say Town A and Town B are 1 mile apart.

The TV calculates distance by the number of rotations of the tires. If everything is calibrated correctly then the odometer will measure the correct distance from Town A to Town B and the mileage will be correct. (1 mpg)

Hope this helps...
But given that example when you use the odometer to calculate the fuel used compared to the pump you will be using the same mileage number,

I know the mileage will be off, what I said was the mileage should be off the same amount for the computer MPG calculation and the gas pump calculation since you are using the same source for mileage driven.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #372
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
"I don't know why people say changing the tire size should make a difference since the computer uses the same numbers for mileage and the odometer (unless they are using a GPS for miles with their calculations)."

Because it duz.....think about it.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Different tire size means different tire circumference, which would mean different distance traveled per revolution of the tire.
I'm talking the difference between computer and calculated not actual mileage.....think about it.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #373
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
But given that example when you use the odometer to calculate the fuel used compared to the pump you will be using the same mileage number,

I know the mileage will be off, what I said was the mileage should be off the same amount for the computer MPG calculation and the gas pump calculation since you are using the same source for mileage driven.
Looks like I misinterpreted your original statement.

Yes, you are correct. Assuming the TV calculated fuel consumption is identical to a pump reading - and you use the same odometer reading for both calculations, then the results will be the same. That is, either in error if the tires are mismatched to the odometer, or correct if the tire size is matched.

Garbage in - garbage out.

A change in tire size will have no impact on the vehicles calculation of fuel consumption.
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #374
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
"A change in tire size will have no impact on the vehicles calculation of fuel consumption."

But it will and does have an effect on the DIC calculation, that is precisely why the tire height is programmable on GM vehicles.

You won't get an accurate readout, mpg, speedo or odo, if the PCM is set for 29" tires and your running 31". Been there done it.

Bob
Old 05-27-2013, 11:57 PM   #375
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, changing tire sizes, brands, and tread patterns can cause your actual fuel mileage to increase or decrease; Usually the latter.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #376
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
"A change in tire size will have no impact on the vehicles calculation of fuel consumption."

But it will and does have an effect on the DIC calculation, that is precisely why the tire height is programmable on GM vehicles.

You won't get an accurate readout, mpg, speedo or odo, if the PCM is set for 29" tires and your running 31". Been there done it.

Bob
Yes, But you are assuming the driver is using the odo for the calculation and not their GPS or something else. I get customers telling me everyting (odo, mileage, etc.) is a lie because their GPS says so.

Also, the only certified accurate speedo (and thus, odo ) are law enforcement vehicles. All the rest are + or - 5% or so.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #377
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Also, the only certified accurate speedo (and thus, odo ) are law enforcement vehicles. All the rest are + or - 5% or so.
I know that's right, but I'm not too sure about the law enforcement speedo, or even their speedometers.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #378
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
True that! In reality they read 20mph slow. Otherwise they wouldn't blow by me on the interstate, with no particular place to get to, while talking on their cell!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #379
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Rich, It's been my observation they drive like that because they can, like many others that occupy positions within the organizations that are supposed to serve "we the people".
Old 05-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #380
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Yes, But you are assuming the driver is using the odo for the calculation and not their GPS or something else. I get customers telling me everyting (odo, mileage, etc.) is a lie because their GPS says so.

NIMC....

I'll try and take a photo of my TomTom and speedo at the same time, last time I checked they were right on.
Next time we're trip'n I'll use the TT for MPG cal, just to see if there is an appreciable difference.

I know how inaccurate the speedo's can be, I wrote more than a few RO's asking us to check them because customers got a ticket and swore they weren't speed'n. And 'ya know what...they were,, because the speedo's read LOW.

Bob