Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #181
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Start with a D...ends with an L...
Good try Bill. The context is gas engines.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #182

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I think it remains to be seen whether or not the 3.5L EcoBoost will be a short-life engine. Its output is about right for a powerful half-ton, and the magic will be in dissipating heat and the durability of the various castings and forgings. I'm not likely to buy another truck for 4 years or so, if the early EcoBoosts that have been used as real trucks are doing well then it'll certainly be on my list. If I'd been in the new market vs. used early this year, I would have evaluated it. I would certainly have considered an extended warranty on it, and I never consider that on a new vehicle, but this year both of the "middle" F150 engines were new so I might have bought used or another brand even if I had lots of money.

If I had new-truck money in the budget in the spring, I might well have ended up with a Tundra, but I think the used-market prices on Tundras are a bit too high, and there were very slim pickings of 2007s in the used market, and 2008 prices were higher than I liked on most all the used trucks (I bought an '07, as you can see in my sig.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #183

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Gene
Another option that the Big 3 have ignored, and no other brands are bringing to our shores, is a SMALL diesel engine. Even our 3/4 ton trucks could do with a much lower-displacement engine with modern diesel technology, but with the numbers battle between the manufacturers it hasn't made sense to design a practical diesel around 300 hp/450 lb-ft at perhaps 4 liters in a 6-cyl or even a counterbalanced long-stroke 4-cyl configuration. Especially with the current crop of high-ratio-spread 6-speed autos that can stand up to torque, this would be a realistic range for most uses.

That engine could be light enough to be practical in a big half-ton, and could be the low-end diesel for the 250/2500 trucks, and the 800-lb-ft behemoths could be the reason for people with serious towing needs to step up to the 350/3500 lines. It would likely get better fuel mileage than the current big-cube diesels and provide more towing power than 90% of the market needs, but it's hard to sell practicality. Jim Bob goes out and buys a 450-lb-ft diesel to pull his 7000-lb boat and all his buddies laugh at his "girlie truck with a 4-cyl" rather than admit to themselves that they could do everything they need with that truck and get 20% better mileage.

I've gone WAY off the original topic though.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #184
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Why don't we just build our own.....good start!

Bob
Old 09-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #185
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
DKB', a small diesel is one approach, but has the same same cost comparisons the larger ones have with gas.

Bob's natural gas engine suggestion would be good if we could find the stuff readily. I saw a pump at a truck stop near SLC last week and that's about the only place you'll see them—in and near big cities.

No doubt the EcoBoost may turn out fine, or not—time is necessary, or someone willing to tow 100,000 miles/year and let us know how that worked out. I won't be buying another truck any time soon either with the state of the economy and stock market, but even if I'd like to, until gas mileage is improved, it makes little sense to buy a new truck now.

I hope someone is designing my ideal truck ("I'd want more payload in a half ton (maybe a 5/8 ton) with softer ride than a 3/4 ton, lots of torque, great gas mileage, low price, reliability, great brakes, full tow package, bullet proof engine and rest of drive train plus excellent brakes. For those with heavier trailers, a 3/4 ton model."). Let us know what is is like and when it will be available.

Gene
Old 09-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #186
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If I were going to make a wild guess, I'd guess the fact that the F150 is one of the top-selling vehicles in the US, the F150 is thirsty, lots of people are out of work and can't afford their payment and/or fuel bill, and lots of people who own pickups in the US don't have any actual practical need for a truck would all tend to increase the number of them that turn up on used lots when incomes drop and fuel prices rise.
Could be any number of things. These were all 2011 EBs TRADED in for new competitive make trucks at the same new car dealer????? This is what baffles me.
Could be:
People who trade every year and just like to switch around brands;
Believed (erroneously) that the V6 EB was the complete answer to big block V8s and under bought for their needs. These were in big time farm country;
Maybe circumstances changed and they needed 3/4 tons.

ETC, Etc.

May be a completely strange flukey coincidence and has nothing to do with the performance of EBs. Just really strange to see a slug of them like that, all at the same time.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #187

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
@dznfog: that is a very different statement than the one to which I initially responded. We've gone from lots of recent F150s on used lots (plural) to a group of 2011 EcoBoosts traded in to one new dealer.

(edited, changed "them" to "2011 EcoBoosts")

Old 09-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #188
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
@dznfog: that is a very different statement than the one to which I initially responded. We've gone from lots of recent F150s on used lots (plural) to a group of 2011 EcoBoosts traded in to one new dealer.

(edited, changed "them" to "2011 EcoBoosts")
My bad, should've been more clear in the first post. I figgered since it was an EB thread, it was assumed. Sorry.

EDIT: The plural statement refers to seeing some at other new car dealer's used car lots, but not in any unusual numbers. You always see onesies and twosies in any car or truck line. I only focus on the new car dealer's used car lots for one to two year old inventory. The independents can procure from so many wholesale sources, it would be hard to draw any conclusions. New car dealers one or two year old used inventory mostly come from trades (within franchised brand or cross mfr trades), or from mfr auctions (closed to independents and cross mfr dealers) where only the like franchised new car dealers can purchase. These units are typically "program cars", or rental company returns, or mfr finance company repos and off leases.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #189
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
The F150 is the largest selling vehicle in North America. It's second only to the Toyota Corolla as the best selling vehicle in history. That may have something to do with it.

I actually got to look at one of the EB's up close a few days ago. First thing that came mind was that this rascal is HUGE. Seemed to be a very large vehicle. If you can 20mpg in that thing, I'm impressed.

By the way, I own 4 Fords and nothing else. Wish I could afford to trade in my '98 F150 (that tows my 'Stream quite nicely) for something newer.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #190
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Jim,

I own 1 Ford, 1 Chevrolet, 1 Buick, and refuse to drive anything else....almost.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Bob
Old 09-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #191
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
What is that '50-something restoration you have? One cool ride, Bob. Did you do the resto? Probably a really stupid question now that I think about it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #192
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Gene
Yes...let's just dismiss that elephant in the corner...!

(After all she smokes...and smells bad?! And good Lord..she just hates the cold weather...)
Old 09-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #193
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
What is that '50-something restoration you have? One cool ride, Bob. Did you do the resto? Probably a really stupid question now that I think about it.

Jim
1953 Ford Victoria

No Jim, I didn't do the restoration, it's never been restored, 100% original.
It was Sandra's Grandmother's, car bought new in 1953.
We have been the custodians since 1976.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GRANDMA AND HER NEW FORD ca FALL 1956.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	140863   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07633.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	523.8 KB
ID:	140864  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01565.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	140865  
Old 09-24-2011, 06:45 AM   #194
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
1953 Ford Victoria

No Jim, I didn't do the restoration, it's never been restored, 100% original.
It was Sandra's Grandmother's, car bought new in 1953.
We have been the custodians since 1976.
Hi Robert...in the "small world" category.

I recently stopped at the local Dairy Queen with my wife to look at a very nice old Ford...hoping it was a '54...which was my first car. Turns out it was a '53 Ford Victoria...just like yours but with colors reversed. Story gets more similar since the owner had a picture of he and his brother (also along for the ride) in front of his dad's '53 Victoria...when they were about 8-10 years old.

This owner had to search for years to find a nice one...not his dad's actual car.

Still wish it were a '54. Mine was a 2 dr Crestline (I think?)...w/6cyl and overdrive. Of course us '54 guys got overhead valves...a "modern" invention!

Thanks for the pictures...TomR

P.S. I should add...amazing car in original condition...those Fords were very inclined to rust TomR
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #195
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Tom,

After getting the car in 1976, while doing the first real "detail" it probably ever had, I noticed that the rear ash trays were filled with Double Bubble, Tootsie Roll wrapper's and Lolly Pop sticks.
When I told Sandy what I had found she insisted I leave them there.

Why?
Well it turn's out that she and her siblings were responsible for stuffing them in there 20 years earlier . Gram would toss them back whenever the little rascals got rowdy.

Still there 35 years later, and folks love the story at the Car Shows.

AS's are great.....but "Bertha" is still our First Love.

Bob
Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #196
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'd want more payload in a half ton (maybe a 5/8 ton) with softer ride than a 3/4 ton, lots of torque, great gas mileage, low price, reliability, . . full tow package, bullet proof . . drive train[,] plus excellent brakes. For those with heavier trailers, a 3/4 ton model.

This is a good description of the generic default TV on RV boards. Doesn't mean, though, that it isn't assumption-riddled.

The insistence on brand-new is the "real" problem expressed. There's no getting around the fact that drivetrain complexity has increased, and that it will continue. Which makes TV choice by type more important than brand (or spec). A sedan to pull an A/S covers many if not most as well or better for the occasional traveler (versus many full-timers).

Plenty of used trucks are available for those wanting one -- with known problems & fixes -- and can be made to meet the above mark with solid aftermarket suppliers wares as appropriate. The description above matches my own truck, just short of adding an air suspension rear.

Depreciation + finance charges kill any idea of "economy"; moot for those who trade frequently. I'd re-shuffle the deck given this consideration.

The Eco-Boost will likely work out fine for those who actually need a truck and already are uncomfortable when a vehicle reaches, say, 100k-miles (or warranty end).

I might be prone to choose a vehicle based as much on the local servicing dealer reputation as much as by brand. "Love the truck, hate the service" kicks my tail much harder than the miniscule fuel mileage differences (assuming again the TV is actually well-chosen) between my version of "competing choices". Which tends to be more emotional than not (justifications), thus the following:

Some simple tools are available to sort the wheat from the chaff: CPM calculators (cents-per-mile) delineating costs over a planned time & miles schedule. The easiest to use (and read the definitions) is the Edmunds True Cost to Own page. Make comparisons of vehicle types, not just brand-to-brand. First know how long, and how far one will take a TV.

Use a 40% deduction for average towing mpg from highway mpg to alter the calculator on your own spreadsheet (if wanted). This figure (no lower than 30%) is consistent from 1971 TL reviews to 2010 TL reviews. (One can do better -- with the understanding that it is not vehicles that get poor mileage, but drivers that do. And can improve).

One will find that fuel mileage matters only when depreciation and finance charges are removed (and the depreciation curve has lessened). This assumes a far longer time & miles than the TCO calculator gives. Once fixed expenses are reduced, then "problems" of reliability, fuel mileage, component life, etc, take on the meaning we give them.

In other words, pay cash for a 3-year old TV that is at least one year past major design changes. And then figure fuel at $6/gl. Run these assumptions using the repair numbers increasing 10% annually past the Edmunds TCO ending (and check depreciation on KBB). Do the analysis and one will find that "fuel economy" finally achieves significance for worsening fuel prices. Even steady ones. But not before.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:35 AM   #197
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Wow, my first cars was a 1954 Ford Two Door Crestiline - Flat Head V8. Bought it used when I was asked to leave college and before I went into the service. Paid $125.00 for it, light blue fantastic condition. Gave it to my girlfriend when i went into the service and then told her to sell it and buy a more dependable car so she could drive from NY to Mississippi so we could get married.

Your posts and pictures brought back some great memories, wish I still had that car.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #198
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Gave it to my girlfriend when i went into the service and then told her to sell it and buy a more dependable car so she could drive from NY to Mississippi so we could get married.

Your posts and pictures brought back some great memories, wish I still had that car.
Sounds like the girlfriend didn't work out.

Gene
Old 10-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Nope the girlfriend worked out just fine, 43 years. Plus 16 four wheel vehicles and 14 motorcycles. Four camping units and now while staying in campgrounds etc for the past 20 years we pick up our recently purchased used AS in early November.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #200
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
I am planning on towing a Classic 30 #8300 GVRW with an F150 EcoBoost, 3.73 rear end. Is there anyone doing that in the Rockies?
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote