Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #61
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
We are just home from a 2300 mile trip pulling our 25' Classic, which included several days pulling thru the Smokies. The conditions of the roads we used were excellent, except for my home state of IL, and we mostly maintained a speed of 65 mph. F150 FX4 SCREW w/3.73 averaged 11.3 mpg, 87 octane 10% alcohol. The turbo's really show there stuff on the uphill sections and the tow/haul mode downshifts the transmission to totally eliminate braking on the descents. We absolutely love this truck, will buy a 2015 and will have the payload package. An additional note, the ProPride hitch is worth every penny invested, provides a rock solid, safe towing experience in every condition.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:45 AM   #62
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Payload is the biggest disadvantage to the ecoboost. Unless you get it with HD Payload which the configuration isn't ideal, you might as well just get a F-250. And those "tow ratings" are heavily skewed.

I have read threads here and threads on other forums and the towing MPG are about the same as guys with v8's. The only upside I see is the turbo's are better performers when it comes to delivering torque thru the whole power band and perform better at altitude than naturally aspirated engines. And sure you might get better MPG not towing, but a lot of folks on the Ford forums have pointed out that's not realistic either because the truck tends to be "fun" to drive. Most are averaging 18mpg city.

Still, the ecoboost is an attractive option for some, especially if towing a smaller trailer.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #63
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I short changed myself with the payload capacity so be certain to go with HD payload package. As stated earlier with the tongue weight a cap and loaded up it does not take much to be overloaded. The 2015 models will be made of aluminum thus saving 700lbs on the TV. Go with the 3.5 Echoboost. Great engine with good fuel economy when not towing. Nothing out there gets good milage when towing. Also Ford comes with the best Navigation system I have ever had.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
Well stated Mikekey. IN addition, when I looked at the ProRide Hitch that RBS is using the weight of that heavy hitch coupled to the 870 pound empty trailer hitch weight of the 2006 25 Classic it easily took me to the maximum capacity of the Class-V hitch Ford installs on this Eco Boost. It has a max rating of 1,050 pounds as I recall. Now, If I start to add the weight of propane, awnings, a little water for traveling and misc the tongue weight of the 25 Classic goes up notably and anything in the truck bed that is loaded past the axel and toward the hitch side again raises the weight further. At this point, the trailer hitch has exceeded it mfg safety spec capacity and then there is the payload issue of the F150 we haven't even talked about. For the heavier tongue weight trailers and the ProRide Hitch it seemed to me the F-250 takes all the guesswork out of the safety issues that we are all concerned with. With the lighter weight AS the EcoBoost is a real winner, the bigger ones, not so much.
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #65
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Great point Earthcreeper, overloading your factory installed hitch can be a recipe for disaster. I actually know someone whose hitch actually broke off the vehicle from this.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #66
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I don't know what you folks are bringing with you in the beds of your trucks or how many people are included, but I'm towing 7200 lbs of trailer, plus gear, and have logged over 45,000 miles now with two adults and have not experienced any problems with payload, hitch weight or total GVW. Just towed across the Mojave desert at 110° up the Needles grade and then up the Pacific Coast Highway to Carmel. No problems. If a 3/4 ton makes you happy, go start a thread and tell the world.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #67
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
You're most likely overloaded and clueless to the fact.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #68

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekey View Post
Or perhaps mojo doesn't carry the kitchen sink from home. He specifically said he hadn't had problems with GVW, so one might as easily assume he's weighed the rig as assume he's "clueless" and over gross.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #69
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Opinions are like as.....never mind, you wouldn't understand.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Payload is the biggest disadvantage to the ecoboost. Unless you get it with HD Payload which the configuration isn't ideal, you might as well just get a F-250. And those "tow ratings" are heavily skewed.

Still, the ecoboost is an attractive option for some, especially if towing a smaller trailer.
On the Ford Build and Price website, a 2014 Lariat Crewcab 4x4 w/ecoboost can be had with a 2,000 lb payload. If you spec a Lariat with the HD Payload package it goes up to 2,310 lbs.

My 27FB international serenity tongue weight is 900 lbs. This is actual weight using a tongue weighing scale, and weighed with full propane and loaded for camping. The maximum F-150 tongue load is 1,130 lbs. My Equal-i-zer hitch might weigh in at 130 lbs, so this plus the 900 lbs native weight still leaves the trailer safely under the maximum.

So unless one plans to haul a pallet of cement bags in the truck bed camping with their Airstream I can't see why a F-150 wouldn't be more than adequate for the job at hand, even for larger Airstreams.

kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:58 PM   #71
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
My 2013 Echoboost has a payload of 1100lbs. Pulling my 25' Cloud I am 400lbs. over on the drive axle. However my TV bed is full. Also I have 4 AGM batteries on the Cloud. Looking to go take a serious look at the 2015's and get the payload right.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #72
3202 Ellie

1975 Argosy 24
milan , Michigan
Sorry to be a downer but talk to two mechanics at my dealership they thought the 5.0 was a better choice I bought the 5.0 and tow with it 24' argosy double did drive the ego boost but I keep my trucks as long as possible and worried about up keep cost later on an all the stress on the smaller engine.
boliversr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by boliversr View Post
Sorry to be a downer but talk to two mechanics at my dealership they thought the 5.0 was a better choice I bought the 5.0 and tow with it 24' argosy double did drive the ego boost but I keep my trucks as long as possible and worried about up keep cost later on an all the stress on the smaller engine.
Oh....Oh, duck! (I can appreciate your thought process)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Yakima , Washington
We pull our 27FB classic with a 2013 Lariat EB with no problems. We bought the truck in Nov. of 2013 and now have 12500 miles on it. We pull about 20K per year so have gone through a few trucks. We have Max tow and extended mirrors. Works great and have had zero problems. I don't know about other trucks, we have stayed with Ford since mid 90's. We find this truck comfortable and easy to drive. We have the 5.5 bed to fit into the garage. A good hitch makes a big difference of course.

Good luck,
Mike
Mike-Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Echoboost is a great tow vehicle...

We have had our 2012 Platinum, 4X4 Echoboost since June 2012, and average 7.5K miles in summer towing. Current mileage is 51K. We tow a 25' FB FlyingCloud to/from/all around MT & TX. If you keep the MPH below 67, you can get into the low 20+mpg pretty consistently without towing, and 12-13mpg towing....but get to 70+mph and you drop to 17mpg empty and 10mpg towing. We love the torque and when towing, you hardly know anything behind you! We just picked up a new 25 FC, with BlueOx 1000# hitch; great combination. Truck drives like a dream and super comfortable/quite, etc..great sound system also! (this is our 3rd 25' and 3rd tow vehicle...last 2 were new Tahoe's, so do have a little experience)

I am interested in looking at the 2015, but also interested in seeing some more user stats on the new RAM turbo-diesel 6 cylinder from Fiat, with 8-speed mentioned in another thread. I read that a guy pulled a 30' AS all over some park, up/down hills, and averaged 15-17 mpg towing with 27-28mpg when not towing....any one else have news on that one? (I know this thread is Echoboost.)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
...again, MikeKey has it right. Exceeding payload, hitch or tongue weight issues are not chronic problems you would constantly experience cruising down the road 45,000 across the desert when everything is la-tee-dah. The hap-hazard thumbing your nose at specs cause the safety crisis when the specs are challenged by perhaps an accident, a blown tire, a need to brake or stop quickly or even the fact this has gone on for 45,000 miles it may have considerably weakened the system which can and will break. These and many many more situations stress everything that has a capacity/safety rating. I guess a person can think it is OK to exceed these specs and boast about it until someone dies or gets hurt due to this sort of negligence. Just like Toyota, the Eco-Boost can tow an enormous amount of trailer weight but that is not the question nor is it the import stuff. Safe travels and travel responsibly! If it doesn't matter to you, let it matter for the rest of us on the road.
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #77
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I didn't realize I'd offend so many by being able to do math and tell the difference between payload capacity and towing capacity.

It should be noted, someone who tows on weekends has different needs from a full-timer.

And the fact remains, people order different options. This results in a wide range of payload capacities.

For us before I started leaning toward Dodge (wife still like the Ford) the trucks we liked with the OPTIONS we liked (Crewcab, 5.6ft bed, leather interior, sync system, 4x4 and for her sunroof) keep bouncing between 1200lbs payload and 1480lbs payload. You know a Platinumm SLT, FX4 all vary in payload rating. When you're buying used, like us, this means spending a lot of time looking over each vehicle and it's door sticker and researching in forums like this.

I don't need to carry the KITCHEN SINK to overload the vehicle. We've been overlanding for the past 5 yrs of marriage, and camping out of an SUV with rooftop tent. So I know about packing what I need. I also consider myself a little bit of a minimilist.

But from various posts, others keep saying that the hitch weight of the trailers we're looking at are in reality between 850 - 1000lbs. (27ft International CCD FB) If we just go safe route and say 950lbs hitch.

1480lbs - I think we looked at one with no sunroof and the 17inch rims that had this.

1480-950lbs= 530lbs - 20lbs to get my weight to match Fords 150lb driver.

510 - my wife + daughter & car seat = 300lbs.

Now I have 300lbs of payload left over.

I want to carry a generator, two 5 gallon Nato fuel cans, and my 135 piece craftsman tool box, and some recovery gear. Defm not the kitchen sink. I hope that fits in 300lbs.

Can I do it? Probably. But what happens is my hitch weighs 1000lbs? Empty the Airstream? How much breathing room is good enough? I know there are folks towing giant 31ft Airstreams with mini-vans, so.... does payload matter?

Please forgive me, I'm not trying to bash anyone's decision. I am just trying to communicate that Payload capacity and being safe is a concern for some of us. I also do not want a larger truck personally.

I know that I can get a 6ft bed and cloth seats, no sunroof and 17 inch rims and skip FX4 package and get 1800lbs payload. But I want my leather seats. I don't want a 6ft bed on a crew cab because that's as big as a quad cab with an 8ft bed. It's just HUGE! We're going to be full timers. We have a 6mo old, for me I care about the numbers.

Everyone's tastes are different, and if you aren't ordering new, this means you're going to be spending time fusing over the numbers. Which I am currently doing.

Sorry if my math offends anyone. Not my intentions. Before these forums, I thought I was just going to go out and buy a truck based on a few likes and be done. I had no idea about the differences of Payload Capacity and Towing Capacity. Now I do, thanks to all the great folks here, I can make a more informed decision.

:P

For me personally, I am still interested in the Ecoboost, but the ones that I want with the options we like seem to be too low in the payload department, and that worries me.

So if anyone else has one spec'd out with nice options and payload that works with above numbers, please share your specs so I can search for this setup.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthcreeper View Post
Bob, the Tow Sway Control is "always on" (even when not using the Tow/Haul feature) anytime the truck is started. My guess is that this feature works the brakes and in doing so improves towing safety. When not towing I feel as though it does not need to be on and for me it is an amazing improvement in mileage when off. I have to turn it "off" each time I start the vehicle. It is a little effort with a nice $aving$ in fuel expense.
Earthcreeper- I agree with you on turning off the Sway Control when towing with AS. I was told by the service manager at my dealer and also by an AS technician when I bought my new one last month, to be sure and turn the Sway Control off since it would work against the tow hitch sway system. Works for me and like I said, we don't overload, we do cover a lot of highway and different terrains in our travels. I don't even know the AS is behind most of the time...happy Echoboost camper!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Payload of Echoboost vs other F150's

Quote:
I didn't realize I'd offend so many by being able to do math and tell the difference between payload capacity and towing capacity.

It should be noted, someone who tows on weekends has different needs from a full-timer.

And the fact remains, people order different options. This results in a wide range of payload capacities.

For us before I started leaning toward Dodge (wife still like the Ford) the trucks we liked with the OPTIONS we liked (Crewcab, 5.6ft bed, leather interior, sync system, 4x4 and for her sunroof) keep bouncing between 1200lbs payload and 1480lbs payload. You know a Platinumm SLT, FX4 all vary in payload rating. When you're buying used, like us, this means spending a lot of time looking over each vehicle and it's door sticker and researching in forums like this.

I don't need to carry the KITCHEN SINK to overload the vehicle. We've been overlanding for the past 5 yrs of marriage, and camping out of an SUV with rooftop tent. So I know about packing what I need. I also consider myself a little bit of a minimilist.

But from various posts, others keep saying that the hitch weight of the trailers we're looking at are in reality between 850 - 1000lbs. (27ft International CCD FB) If we just go safe route and say 950lbs hitch.

1480lbs - I think we looked at one with no sunroof and the 17inch rims that had this.

1480-950lbs= 530lbs - 20lbs to get my weight to match Fords 150lb driver.

510 - my wife + daughter & car seat = 300lbs.

Now I have 300lbs of payload left over.

I want to carry a generator, two 5 gallon Nato fuel cans, and my 135 piece craftsman tool box, and some recovery gear. Defm not the kitchen sink. I hope that fits in 300lbs.

Can I do it? Probably. But what happens is my hitch weighs 1000lbs? Empty the Airstream? How much breathing room is good enough? I know there are folks towing giant 31ft Airstreams with mini-vans, so.... does payload matter?

Please forgive me, I'm not trying to bash anyone's decision. I am just trying to communicate that Payload capacity and being safe is a concern for some of us. I also do not want a larger truck personally.

I know that I can get a 6ft bed and cloth seats, no sunroof and 17 inch rims and skip FX4 package and get 1800lbs payload. But I want my leather seats. I don't want a 6ft bed on a crew cab because that's as big as a quad cab with an 8ft bed. It's just HUGE! We're going to be full timers. We have a 6mo old, for me I care about the numbers.

Everyone's tastes are different, and if you aren't ordering new, this means you're going to be spending time fusing over the numbers. Which I am currently doing.

Sorry if my math offends anyone. Not my intentions. Before these forums, I thought I was just going to go out and buy a truck based on a few likes and be done. I had no idea about the differences of Payload Capacity and Towing Capacity. Now I do, thanks to all the great folks here, I can make a more informed decision.

:P

For me personally, I am still interested in the Ecoboost, but the ones that I want with the options we like seem to be too low in the payload department, and that worries me.

So if anyone else has one spec'd out with nice options and payload that works with above numbers, please share your specs so I can search for this setup.
I am certainly not an expert in this area, but I will share our experience over past 8 years, 3 tow vehicles, 3 AS's and a Casita. We love our 2012 F150 SuperCab, Platinum series Echoboost (all the "bells/whistles", for you both) (plus it comes with a 36 Gal fuel tank!) We have a new 25' FC; our second 25' AS with this same tow vehicle. No issues and not concerned. We use a new BlueOx "load leveling" anti-sway-control hitch, with 1000# bars; this helps equalize the "load sharing" on the vehicle and trailer. We have the Platinum with 4X4; not FX or Off Road models... I believe they both ride rougher, my experience driving all 3. I have the .355 rear end which with the 6 speed gets me reasonable mileage and performance, even with the 25'. I really think you'll be fine if you don't overload your bed...that may be your issue. Consider heavier springs perhaps if you go that route? Below are the specs you were mentioning...I think payload is quite good for this combination of 25 thru 28' and this F150... You should be able to find a used 1-2 year old lease return for mid-high $20's...IMHO. There is a max load tow package, but typically you need to special order with .373 rear end.

Wheelbase
Engine
GVWR Max. Payload

SuperCab 4x4
145"
3.7L V6
SuperCab 4x4
145"
5.0L V8
SuperCab 4x4
145"
3.5L EcoBoost V6
SuperCab 4x4
145"
3.5L EcoBoost V6
7700*
2000*
SuperCab 4x4
145"
6.2L V8
SuperCrew 4x4
145"
3.5L EcoBoost V6
7200†
1300†
SuperCrew 4x4
145"
3.5L EcoBoost V6
SuperCrew 4x4
145"
3.5L EcoBoost V6
7650*
1900*
*Requires Max. Trailer Tow Package
**SVT Raptor
†Limited
‡Heavy Duty Payload Package Required
Old 06-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #80
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Mikekey,
You may be able to find a used 2011 F-150 Supercrew 4X4 (145") EB in the Lariat (not Larriat Limited) package that has:
3.73 rear end
GCWR of 17,100
Max trailer 11,300
Payload 1761
Max truck weight 7700
That package has leather seats and Max trailer tow package with 17 inch wheels, plus the leather you are looking for.
I have the same truck only it has the 6.2 gasser. I pull a 1999 34 FT Excella wide body (with a Hensley hitch) that weights 9650 including a tongue weight of 1100.
Totally loaded for camping I have 150 lbs left on trucks 7700 lb GVW. This includes wife, full fuel tank of 36 gals, generator, kayaks, grill & propane tank among other things.
Total for truck and trailer is 16,120 well inside the 17100 GCWR,
BTW, a F-150 does not have a Class V hitch available that I can find from the factory or after market. It does have a Class IV that has a 1200 TW with weight distribution.
The only issue I have with this set up is the 4050 LB rear axle capacity. I can exceed that in a heartbeat and do have to watch my loading. Last time thru the scales I had it 30 lbs over so just moved a tool box back to the trailer.
We are very happy with this truck plus it will fit in the garage.
Good luck in your search. Some of us are not clueless especially MOJO