Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #15

We should also include in this discussion the final drive gear ratio... in many cases even with a bigger motor, if the final drive is too low (say 3.55), you'll get much worse tow performance than if you have a higher ratio (say 4.10) - forgive because I dont exactly remember the ratio on the Ford rears...

I once had a F-150 with a lower rear (1994) for my 22 ft Safari, and it did OK on flat roads... but even with downshifting, hills or inclines posed some challenges -and some higher temps on the transmission. I live in NJ, but still decided that a 3/4 ton pickup (from Chevy, a 6.5 turbo diesel) would serve me, the trailer and all the gear I was carrying a whole lot easier and alot less stressfully. On the road itself, the chassis on the Ford did great with a stock setup, and as long as I wasn't pushing it, it was fine.

Check your weights, (calculate the weight of your trailer and your stuff), see where it falls... and dont forget to include the final drive ratio in the equation.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
F-150 or F250?

Hi, I was thinking, into the future, that if my Lincoln ever wears out that I might buy a good used F-250 V-10 gasser. But now that Ford plans on having a new, larger, gas engine for the 2010? F-150. [6.2 L V-8] I might plan on that instead of the F-250 for 2012 give or take a year. For now the 5.4 L 32 valve V-8 Lincoln does just fine.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I was thinking, into the future, that if my Lincoln ever wears out that I might buy a good used F-250 V-10 gasser. But now that Ford plans on having a new, larger, gas engine for the 2010? F-150. [6.2 L V-8] I might plan on that instead of the F-250 for 2012 give or take a year. For now the 5.4 L 32 valve V-8 Lincoln does just fine.

With more than 24k miles towing a 28 mostly in the western regions of this country I find this drive train combo to be incredible. This last trip included a complete coastal tour on 1 or 101 and lots of turns and hills. Having a console shifter is very valuable in downshiftng and saving the brakes. I run her hard and it never even stumbles once. Just checked the oil after 5 k miles of abuse and right on full. Ford has done me right.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Keep in mind, it is not just whether the engine will pull the trailer but other factors as well. Things to consider are: is the transmission strong enough to hold up to the amount of towing you plan on doing; are the brakes adequate; is the chassis strong enough to handle the stress of the transfer of weight with the weight distribution system; is the cooling system adequate to handle the load of the trailer and air conditioner on grade during the summer; is the differential gears adequate to handle the load of the trailer on grade; is there a transmission cooler and is it adequate for the type of towing you plan to do; is the alternator adequate for the electrical load you will have; how often do you plan to tow each year and how far; and how long do you plan to keep the truck--will you keep the truck for 8-10 years or will it be someone else's problem in 4 years? If you plan to make one 1,000 mile trip and maybe one or two weekend trips per year then a half-ton truck is plenty, but if you plan on using the truck to tow with as often as we do (monthly on average) and make 4-6 1,000 mile trips per year (like we did last year) and plan to keep the truck for 8-10 years like I usually do, then it probably makes sense to go with the heavy duty truck.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Keep in mind, it is not just whether the engine will pull the trailer but other factors as well. Things to consider are: is the transmission strong enough to hold up to the amount of towing you plan on doing; are the brakes adequate; is the chassis strong enough to handle the stress of the transfer of weight with the weight distribution system; is the cooling system adequate to handle the load of the trailer and air conditioner on grade during the summer; is the differential gears adequate to handle the load of the trailer on grade; is there a transmission cooler and is it adequate for the type of towing you plan to do; is the alternator adequate for the electrical load you will have; how often do you plan to tow each year and how far; and how long do you plan to keep the truck--will you keep the truck for 8-10 years or will it be someone else's problem in 4 years? If you plan to make one 1,000 mile trip and maybe one or two weekend trips per year then a half-ton truck is plenty, but if you plan on using the truck to tow with as often as we do (monthly on average) and make 4-6 1,000 mile trips per year (like we did last year) and plan to keep the truck for 8-10 years like I usually do, then it probably makes sense to go with the heavy duty truck.
Minnie's Mate is correct. If you tow like I do a few trips a year in flat land then a F150 will do fine. Since I saw MM last I dropped about $2500.00 into my F150. New tires, new brakes and rotors, new shocks, everything flushed and adjusted. The truck has 96K on her and I am going for 150K. The cost of F250 brakes and shocks are going to cost more but will more than likely last longer. I had several reasons I decided not to trade, one is have a 14 year old son soon to be 15 who will start driving soon and it will be in a truck for the first few years. The second is I plan to do a lot more traveling in the future when the wife retires which is when I will move to the F250.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Mt. Pleasant , South Carolina
We have a 2005 5.4 supercrew that we use to pull our 1988 34' limited. It is plenty strong for the job so I think pulling a 23 or 25 footer would be absolutely no problem. Only time I have ever felt slightly uncomfortable was going down the mountains out of Asheville, NC where the grade gets a little too vertical for me. Good luck.