Old 09-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, I'm glad to see that, as usual, EVERYthing that CR says about a vehicle that their engineers test (long term) is WRONG. They sure waste a ton of money buying all those other cars and trucks (yes, buy, at retail, just like regular folks do), when heck, they can't even test a toaster.

Also, given that in CR's recent test the 2009 F-150 only got 14 mpg overall on regular fuel, it's surprising that the Excursion, with the 17-18 mpg that ALLANSD gets, was discontinued in the 2005 production year.

You just never know, do you?

Old 09-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Every iteration Ford has done to the diesel engine to comply with Ralph's requirements has resulted in lower gas mileage per production year.

When I first got my Excursion I was driving home from Del. and called a friend to tell him I was getting 22 mpg on route 95. He laughed and suggested I switch the readout from Metric to English measurements.

Man there for a while thought I was way ahead of the game. I do get just around 13 towing the 34 on the Interstates.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
The 2WD version of the Excursion has a car-like ride
Hummm, compared to a Model T maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
@CR also failed to note that the steering (sans the turning radius) actually is better for towing, I am not sure that I would want a steering system that was overly sensitive- great for a bimmer, not for a tow vehicle.
Actually one of the best technologies you will find in a vehicle is "accurate, precise steering" in a solo vehicle or especially a TV. Try it and you will understand.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Well, I'm glad to see that, as usual, EVERYthing that CR says about a vehicle that their engineers test (long term) is WRONG. They sure waste a ton of money buying all those other cars and trucks (yes, buy, at retail, just like regular folks do), when heck, they can't even test a toaster.

I got the impression from the OP that he wanted to hear the experiences from those of us who actually own Excursions and tow Airstreams.
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I don't comment on things I do not have experience with.

My signature supports my comments.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
humboldt , Iowa
We continue to be very happy with our 2000 V-10 Ford Excursion. It has been pulling our 34 foot AS trailer comfortably since purchasing it. It currently has 139,000 miles on it. It has pulled our trailer in all but one of the lower 48 states. It gets about 10 mpg with trailer; highway miles 14 without trailer. We added a K&E air filter. We have never needed to change the plugs. We will continue to use our Ford Excursion as long as we can.
tintent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Those of us who have them love them. Mine is a 2000 diesel 4x4 with 190,000 miles purchased new.
I have replaced ball joints twice, shocks twice, hubs once (expensive, next time I will go with Warn after markets), sway bars once and upgraded the brakes (slotted rotors and racing pads). Most of the things that are spun by the serpentine belt have been replaced. The engine and transmission are going strong and have received only fluid and filter changes. Ford did recall the cam sensors. For a while, my Ex gobbled them like popcorn.
Unless you need to tow or haul lots of things/ and or people with good fuel economy an Excursion is not for you because the ride is what you would expect with leaf springs and live axles on all four wheels. Granted a Suburban 1500 rides better but tows a lot worse. It is the "Soccer Mom Mobile". Have you priced a Suburban 2500? One years' depreciation on it would fund the total repairs on my Ex.
An Ex is not a big city car. Parking places are not big enough and some garages are not high enough. It will not fit in a standard garage.
Consumer Reports should stick to dishwashers.
No one has mentioned the seats. They look comfortable but are lamers. After market seats are reasonable and fit on the stock tracks.
I think the wandering and ride control problems are due to a worn out front end. Everything on mine is new along with Rancho shocks. Gone is that big knot between my shoulder blades after a three hour drive.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
No one has mentioned the seats. They look comfortable but are lamers. After market seats are reasonable and fit on the stock tracks.
Interesting you mentioned the seats. Lots of people replace the expensive rear captains seat with a bench because the captains are so uncomfortable.

You mention after market seats. Do you have any info on these as I would replace the drivers seat in a heart beat.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
You mention after market seats. Do you have any info on these as I would replace the drivers seat in a heart beat.
It's my understanding that any "premium" bucket seat from a 2000 or so onward superduty is a bolt in. This would include the "Harley Davidson, the "King Ranch". You could possibly pick up a set out of a junk yard.

I find the front buckets quite comfortable for long hauls.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have a back that gets sore and stiff in most seats. My stock Excursion limited seats have been very good for me, even on drives up to 10-12 hours.
I am a fan of this big old beast, and feel it's a great bargain in the used car market now. I have 13 years retail auto experience, and have test driven and appraised many suv's.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #25
Rivet Master

After market seats are available at DiscountRVfurniture.com. They have a large selection, reasonable prices and good customer service.
We purchased a dinette for our 25 Safari from them. The price was good and the quality was more than I expected.
My beef with the Ex seats is that I get no support but maybe I have worn them out with 10+ years with my 220 pound hiney in the saddle.
My Ex gets 17-18 solo and 11-13 towing, honest. Mileage dropped about 1 mpg with ultra low sulphur fuel. Key to good fuel economy is keeping rpms under 2000. The advantage with the diesel is that the engine has so much torque it will tow easily in overdrive, keeping the rpms low.
CR should try towing my Safari with their "Best Buys" and check rated vehicles and see how well their pet vehicles do. Their testing criteria does not match my needs.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
CR also failed to note that the steering (sans the turning radius) actually is better for towing, I am not sure that I would want a steering system that was overly sensitive- great for a bimmer, not for a tow vehicle.

Dead wrong. Nothing worse for any kind of driving than poor/deadened steering. My truck has IFS with rack & pinion steering; one of the reasons I chose it was for it's greater sensitivity.

Excursions in South Texas are now relegated to tote-the-note lots. The sheer number of them down here is impressive, even for Texas. But their condition and their new (third or fourth) owners are not; they've been to the auction lot more than once as their trade-in value appears to be nominal at best.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
We enjoy our 2000 V10 when towing our 27' AS. When we were seeking out a TV for a camper we were looking for a truck or 3/4 ton SUV from the big three with either the biggest gas engine or a diesel. We bought ours in Jan 2009 when gas prices were falling but everyone was still very anti-big vehicle so I got it for $6500 in VA with 106k miles. I had to immediately drop $1000 into getting the front end vacuum hubs to work again (PO never used 4x4!) and I had a lovely spark plug blow-out issue last Feb which cost me another $1000. Sounds like a lot, but considering I do not have a monthly payment to a bank for it, to me it sounds very reasonable for what it does with regards to towing the AS all over the place.

I really wanted a diesel, but regardless of brand I was looking at min 150k miles and at least $10k. The Excursions ended up being even cheaper than pickup trucks (in the used market). Not that I could have afforded it then nor am I going to go through the hassle of selling and buying newer, but getting an Ex. with the 5 speed automatic (MY03.5 and later, I think) would be good. The spark plug issue was alleviated in MY05.5 with the introduction of the 3 valve engine but that's right when the Ex. was discontinued. I don't think any Ex's were ever built with the 3V gasser.

Howie's got about the best setup...6.0L diesel and 5 speed trans. If you've got the dough, shoot for that.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Jason, I believe the 3V heads were introduced in 2004, and the Exc's last year was the 2005 models...if memory serves...

When ours wears out (if ever), I'm going to look for a decked out 2005 V-10, 4x4 model and continue on down the road...!

Trade in value being nominal was mentioned above - hey, that's in our favor when looking for a great towing vehicle for our AS's...saving BIG bucks when buying a used Exc could save you enough money over a 'new' SUV to buy a great used AS as well!

Ray