Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Excursion diesel Or V10 ????

[QUOTE=big_john;811578]Looks like we are going to buy the "third car" for "recreational" purposes and the FORD EXCURSION DIESEL 4X4 is the winner.

If you need to know about the excursion or Ex as we call it, come to this site which is all Excursion owners
(Excursion - King of SUVs - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums)

You can find them with less milage than mid 150 to 250 but you will have to do some searching. The 7.3 is the stronger of the diesel engines and anyone who knows diesel engines will tell that the 7.3 was and is still called the bullet proof engine. Mods to it just made it even a better engine and many will tell you that die hard GM & Dodge owners was glad to see Ford discontinue this engine because of its durability. The 6.0 when it first came out in 2004 did have its problems but was worked out by the 2005 year. You do have to be real careful because many of the excursions when ordered was produced as a dailey driver and not set up for towing purposes and therefore came with the reg tow package.
I have a 2005 Eddie Bauer Edition 4X4 6.0 with the HD tow package, 5spd auto, only change to mine prior to purchase is the computer programs, the previous owner saved me the expence of taking it and having the manufacturers program removed and a special program written to maximise performance, towing, daily driving. It was taken to the max limit for no engine mods, I very rarely even use the tow haul feature because of the computer mod, those times I do use it is only for the engine brake it has and only comes on when the tow haul button is engaged.
I can pull my 31 without any sway hitch and the Ex does not even know it is there, now with my 34 which weighs 2500lbs more and has a much heavier tongue weight i am adding the Ride Rite Load air bags by Firestone because I do not want to change the leif springs or ad overloads and loose my good ride I have when using as a daily driver.
Let me tell you that once you get or drive one you will very rairly want to drive anything else. Oh one other thing that you should be aware of is some Excursions have a wondering problem as you will see on the above site, mine has a slight wonder but nothing I am not use to from driving older pickups. It can be corrected through some mods such as steering gear box change, suspension mods, etc.
If you are going to get one I would look for a 2005 which is the last year made, 4X4, tow haul feature, eddie bauer edition (which is the top of the line), make sure it is set up for towing.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote