Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
lookingin

Currently Looking...
Golden , Colorado
Ford Edge/FC 19cb

we are buying a FC 19cb this summer 3800lbs dry weight. We are in the process of an upgrade on our 2016 Ford Edge sport to add a Class III hitch, weight distribution, transmission cooler as we could not get a tow package when we bought the car. Our Edge has about 300hp/350ft lbs torque, V-6, 6 speed AWD.

The new Ford Edge (very similar in specs) now comes with a tow package and has a dry weight tow limit of 3500lbs. Our plan is to carefully try out our 2016 Edge with the mods before we go out and buy a $50k TV.

comments/suggestions
lookingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:29 AM   #2
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
OK, I'll bite, and I'll probably regret it. Why is this always the first post? I'll try to be gentle.

First of all, no, the Edge won't do it. "Upgrades" like a trans cooler won't change the capability of the platform. 3500 lbs towing capacity from the factory (probably less with awd), no frame, etc. It is just not an appropriate towing vehicle based on specs.

Second, if you're buying a $65k trailer, why would you scrimp on the tow vehicle? Lots of deals out there, larger frame-based SUVs, most half tons, etc. will tow that coach with ease. You don't have to run out and buy a $65k diesel 3/4 ton truck, but you need an upgrade......

Third, that 19cb has a GVWR of 4500 lbs, which you will approach one day, so please buy an appropriate tow vehicle for that weight, with a brand name, properly installed and adjusted weight distribution/sway control hitch system.

Fourth, please browse the myriad of threads in the Tow Vehicle and Hitch forums on this site. Ignore the fights over which anything is the absolute best, and learn from the long-term experience of many Airstreamers on here.....

Welcome to the obsession, and I wish you all the best with your pursuits.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum, lookingin !

Echoing the last comment, it may be time to get a real tow vehicle, perhaps one large enough to handle the next [larger] Airstream too!

You do know that this is an addiction, right?

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:18 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Why not contact an Airstream towing/hitch expert at Can-Am RV and get a professional opinion? Often a receiver reinforcement can make a huge difference in TV capability.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
What Adventure said, contact Can-Am. We have an FC20 that we tow with my Tacoma. My wife has an Edge which I've driven enough to believe would make as good or better a tow vehicle than the Tacoma. And the Tacoma works great with the FC20 which is considerable heavier than the FC19.

Compared to the Tacoma the Edge has more horsepower, better handling, lower center of gravity, a shorter rear overhang, and I wouldn't doubt the brakes are better. All good things in a tow vehicle. Unfortunately, like yours, it doesn't even have a hitch. I'd bet good money that Can-Am has added and modified hitches on numerous Edges and will be able to tell you exactly what you need to do.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Isn’t Can-Am located in Canada?

Hard to imagine that the cost/benefit dynamic favors such a long drive from RI or CO, plus the consumption of time and energy IMO. Not to mention the risks inherent in all long haul trips.

Get the right tool for the job, and the next job, and be done with it right now IMO.

Peter
Old 02-13-2019, 06:28 AM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Isn’t Can-Am located in Canada?

Hard to imagine that the cost/benefit dynamic favors such a long drive from RI or CO, plus the consumption of time and energy IMO. Not to mention the risks inherent in all long haul trips.

Get the right tool for the job, and the next job, and be done with it right now IMO.

Peter
Although many people drive to Can-Am from around North America that is not always necessary in this modern age of telephones and internet communication. The link I provided was for an online inquiry form about tow vehicle suitability. Consultations don't need to be in person and advice and design improvements can be taken to a local supplier. Andy Thompson and his team often share what might be considered proprietary information for the benefit of the Airstreaming community. My suggestion remains - go to an expert rather than soliciting advice from an internet forum.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I owned a 19’, and the tongue weight was over 800 lb. be careful.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:58 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The edge will tow the 19' trailer. Is it optimum? Not at all. If the trailer does weigh 3500lbs (and in the 19's it's easy to max out the NCC given it's a single axle), and the tow vehicle is rated at 3500, you also need to deduct passenger(s) and cargo from that 3500, so say you are really at 3000lbs tow capacity. That will still move the Bambi and probably stop it too, HOWEVER.....if you plan to do any hilly or mountain towing, I would wholeheartedly recommend you get a tow vehicle with at least at 5000lb tow capacity. My first Airstream was a 19' Bambi, so outside of my current 25er, I do have some 19' exp. I did all the modifications, and beef ups on my TV when I moved to a 25' and I can tell you first hand physics don't change, regardless of what you do.

I've read the go see Can-Am and personally, I completely disapprove of such methods used by this company to skirt around the issue when talking about a larger trailer with a tiny car/suv/minivan/crossover. Do some move with such a setup? Maybe. Safely? That is really open to discussion given the laws of physics don't change with added hitch reinforcement or coolers. In this case however, given then close matching, I would not disagree that if you insist on towing with an Edge, adding some reinforcement and some heavy duty cooling would NOT be a bad idea at all.

So the Reader's Digest of this is basically can it? Yes. Should it? If you stay on the flat land, and in this case, if insistent, I would see Can Am and get heavy duty cooling and reinforcement if possible, but my suggestion is to get something that can tow 5000lbs.

One note, which is a very common tale for a first time Airstreamers is to think VERY carefully on your tow vehicle decision. I, like may on this forum, started with a 19 because it was cute, it was an easy tow and we bought a tow vehicle to match. Then the bug grew and we all got slightly bigger or bigger rigs, many time exceeding the tow capacity of the purpose built or purchased initial tow vehicle. If you have any clue, even a slight hint that at some point you might want a 20' or larger, the Edge, no matter what you do to it, it will not be enough to move much more than a 19 footer and I use the word move intentionally instead of tow.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well said!

Peter
Old 02-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #11
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
When evaluating the suitability of a potential tow vehicle, I would pay relatively more attention to those who have towed with the vehicle in question, than those who simply call it not a real tow vehicle. And a lot more attention to those who have set up this particular model of vehicle for towing.

I have driven an Edge, but not towed with it. I would have no issues with considering it for a lighter weight trailer such as the one under consideration.

Andy at Can Am thought quite a bit of it. His article, with comments on towing a 27' AS with a 3.5 Ecoboost Edge, is here: https://www.canamrv.ca/blog/post/hit...ned-style-434/

There is also a comparison of three tow setups, with the Edge towing a 34AS. https://www.canamrv.ca/blog/post/hit...s-hills-power/

Ford only offers a maximum 3500 lb hitch on this model (and a 2000 lb hitch on some models of the Edge) so isn't able to rate it any higher than that. That has very little to do with the capability of the platform. It has a strong powertrain (shared with the F150), a useful storage area, good visibility, low centre of gravity, and a very short rear overhang. That last one is critical IMO. I would look at the axle ratings as part of the investigation. They matter. Tow ratings, not so much, since you are not planning on using the OE hitch receiver which is too light and thus a limiting factor.

Those that say that the vehicle can't do it based on the spec's should consider upgrading the components that limit those specs. That is exactly what Ford themselves do when they add a transmission cooler and Class II hitch and take it from 2000 lbs to 3500 lbs tow capacity.

OP, it sounds like you have the 2.7 Ecoboost with that power rating. If so, I don't think that Ford offered a transmission cooler for that specific engine model. But they likely did for that model in an F150, where the tow rating is much higher. May be an option compared to an aftermarket transmission cooler.

Call Andy at Can Am.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #12
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...eam-76419.html

A long thread, lots of info. Andy chimes in on the suitability of the Flex for towing. Note that the thread is from before the 2.7 Ecoboost was released.

Note the comments about how the Edge, Flex, and Explorer are built on the same platform. The Explorer has more rear overhang than the Edge, and a shorter wheelbase than the Flex, yet it has the highest tow rating of the three, as shipped from the manufacturer. Pointing out that the receiver may have more to do with the rating than the platform.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #13
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Apologies for mixing the Flex and Edge links. Both vehicles are built on the same platform, with the same specs, so I used them interchangeably, but shouldn't have in the interests of clarity.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
When evaluating the suitability of a potential tow vehicle, I would pay relatively more attention to those who have towed with the vehicle in question, than those who simply call it not a real tow vehicle. And a lot more attention to those who have set up this particular model of vehicle for towing.

I have driven an Edge, but not towed with it. I would have no issues with considering it for a lighter weight trailer such as the one under consideration.

Andy at Can Am thought quite a bit of it. His article, with comments on towing a 27' AS with a 3.5 Ecoboost Edge, is here: https://www.canamrv.ca/blog/post/hit...ned-style-434/

There is also a comparison of three tow setups, with the Edge towing a 34AS. https://www.canamrv.ca/blog/post/hit...s-hills-power/

Ford only offers a maximum 3500 lb hitch on this model (and a 2000 lb hitch on some models of the Edge) so isn't able to rate it any higher than that. That has very little to do with the capability of the platform. It has a strong powertrain (shared with the F150), a useful storage area, good visibility, low centre of gravity, and a very short rear overhang. That last one is critical IMO. I would look at the axle ratings as part of the investigation. They matter. Tow ratings, not so much, since you are not planning on using the OE hitch receiver which is too light and thus a limiting factor.

Those that say that the vehicle can't do it based on the spec's should consider upgrading the components that limit those specs. That is exactly what Ford themselves do when they add a transmission cooler and Class II hitch and take it from 2000 lbs to 3500 lbs tow capacity.

OP, it sounds like you have the 2.7 Ecoboost with that power rating. If so, I don't think that Ford offered a transmission cooler for that specific engine model. But they likely did for that model in an F150, where the tow rating is much higher. May be an option compared to an aftermarket transmission cooler.

Call Andy at Can Am.

Jeff
The Edge is more closely related to the Taurus/Explorer platform- FWD unibody. The F150 is RWD and body on frame. The only thing they have in common is the blue oval and an engine block.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:00 PM   #15
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
The Edge is more closely related to the Taurus/Explorer platform- FWD unibody. The F150 is RWD and body on frame. The only thing they have in common is the blue oval and an engine block.
I think a transmission cooler designed for a similar 6 speed, with the same 2.7 Ecoboost engine specs (hp, torque) and designed for tow ratings north of 8000 lbs, is worth investigating as a custom fit item, before going to an aftermarket transmission cooler. But there is always the aftermarket.

Manufacturers like to share parts across platforms, even if the platform is different. Keeps the product development and part validation costs down.

Of course, GM may also offer a cooler for that transmission, since it was a joint venture shared product. But then you wouldn't have the blue oval in common
Old 02-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #16
lookingin

Currently Looking...
Golden , Colorado
Tow Vehicle Considerations

Many thanks to all of forum contributors for the assistance in helping us make a safe choice for towing.

We have decided that we will be proceeding with a systematic approach with our current vehicle - Ford Edge Sport. We will look at the individual components collectively and make improvements where we feel necessary. Initially this will include a Class III Hitch, weight distribution/anti sway system, Transmission cooler, of course brake system on the RV. We also have some nice options for weight reduction which we will incorporate as well.

Although we don’t completely disapprove of initial tow ratings and how they are derived, we feel that these ratings appear too “arbitrary” and seem to be in support of a marketing model for auto sales rather than taking a more pragmatic approach to towing logistics.

In the end, it is always driver choices and decisions while driving that is the most critical factor.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingin View Post
. . .
In the end, it is always driver choices and decisions while driving that is the most critical factor.
Actually, in the end, it is the lawyers who have the final word. [IMO]

You might want to consult an attorney to ask whether exceeding the manufacturer's tow/tongue weight etc. limits would void the vehicle's warranty, and also expose you to excessive liability in the event of an accident, due to your insurance company refusing coverage.

You should also ask any shop which installs after-market excess weight hitches etc. if they will guaranty [in writing] to reimburse you if the vehicle warranty, or insurance coverage, is not honored, due to their hitch modifications being pegged as a cause of any injuries or property damage.

"Eyes wide open" that's all.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- After quantifying the above risks, a good question might then be whether a real tow vehicle, fully capable of towing your AS and maybe the next larger one, might in the end actually be cheaper that the proposed modifications to your Edge [including all risk factors].
Old 02-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingin View Post
Many thanks to all of forum contributors for the assistance in helping us make a safe choice for towing.

We have decided that we will be proceeding with a systematic approach with our current vehicle - Ford Edge Sport. We will look at the individual components collectively and make improvements where we feel necessary. Initially this will include a Class III Hitch, weight distribution/anti sway system, Transmission cooler, of course brake system on the RV. We also have some nice options for weight reduction which we will incorporate as well.

Although we don’t completely disapprove of initial tow ratings and how they are derived, we feel that these ratings appear too “arbitrary” and seem to be in support of a marketing model for auto sales rather than taking a more pragmatic approach to towing logistics.

You may be OK, but if you make a poor decision and decide to swerve for a deer, for instance, you may find the Edge leaves you needing more control than it can give.

I won’t get into all the gloom and doom about lawyers and insurance refusing to pay, but as someone who responds to accidents I can say if your vehicle looks too small to tow, it may get more attention than you would like from responders.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:40 PM   #19
lookingin

Currently Looking...
Golden , Colorado
Update

Here I will provide a follow up on our Edge Sport TV - comfort and performance. We received our new 2020 Caravel 19cb and have had an opportunity to take it out on three trips both across the Continental divide on I-70 through Colorado.

TV updates included a class III hitch, a Fastway anti-sway/weight distribution, (6k Gtw, 600 TT) 4:6 mix for coolant:water ratio. We spent a few hours dialing in the weight distribution system. I replaced the cluttered stock radiator grill with a simple honey comb grill. Installed a real-time engine diagnostics tool and Echo brake controller for the RV brakes, all leveraging Bluetooth and our phones.

We were pulling with about 10% of our 27-gallon water capacity and hauled two light mountain bikes on our SUV using a top-mounted Yakima rack. The RV had 500 lbs tongue weight and around 4k lbs for our 19’ trailer including what was in it. Our SUV cargo limit is 1k lbs and we were close to that at about 935 lbs which included passengers, tongue load, and cargo.

Downhill braking performance was quite good in that the steepest grades such as from the Eisenhower tunnel down to Breckenridge only called for a few sections where I was required to use the brakes. The 6-speed transmission using the paddle shifter seems to have some logic that holds the gears appropriately when going downhill. When using this approach this might bring the RPM’s up to around 3k - 3.5k.

No engine fault conditions or warnings during any of the trips or otherwise noted for that matter. The most recent trip I kept the radiator temp reading up on my mobile – the high temp was similar to driving in town without the trailer 200f to 212 – no lights warnings or overheating. During ascents I did notice temps oscillated more which was likely from the radiator opening and closing more frequently.

We found the Edge side mirrors fairly adequate, but most helpful was the rear camera (not backup camera) during lane changes.

On our last trip on the return leg we set the gas mileage tracking to arrive at two averages. One was traveling mostly through Utah from Capitol Reef to Grand Junction, the other was over the passes from Grand Junction (Elevation 5000’) to Denver (Elevation 5200’). We used the Ford digital odometer to take the readings with a manual check as well. The Utah mileage averaged 18.5 mpg. In Colorado over the passes we averaged 17.5 mpg which included about an hour traffic delay. My target speeds were 50 – 60 mph, a little higher in the desert using cruise control.

As for the ride and comfort – really fantastic, very smooth, we noticed very little buffeting while passing or being passed. On one occasion in the Eisenhower tunnel a big rig passed us and we felt a small shake but none otherwise in the open stretches. If the road got uneven you could notice the load but nothing dramatic.

Power and climbing were also very good. I lost momentum more than a few times on steep uphill sections approaching loaded big rigs. I could pull right around them with good acceleration at 2/3 full throttle. I never felt that I needed to push the vehicle really very hard. So far, for this size load, we are overall very happy with our SUV TV. Although many of you, with your comments had to go and get my hopes up too high for a new loaded Ford 150 Lariat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aspen.png
Views:	75
Size:	572.8 KB
ID:	355483   Click image for larger version

Name:	MPG.png
Views:	63
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	355484