Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #41
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just curious if those with towing issues if you were in tow haul mode? It appears for example that in tow haul mode in over drive (6th gear) the RPM are about 500 higher then when not in tow haul mode. The point being that when using tow haul mode the engine and tranny are not searching for the proper gear and RPM's.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
in my trying to case i was in tow/haul trying to enter a highway from a rest stop. my first thought was that the transmission was not in the correct gear. i selected manual shift and it made no difference.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Never new

Howdy I know Ya'll hate me BUT I never buy a new truck or SUV I alway buy low milage ( Under 10,000 miles) used.Never do I buy what is new to the road only what is old tech and proven.Got my 2000 Ford Excursion in 2001 with 8000 mile on it.It has the V10 that had more thread about what was wrong with them on line.I now after 13 years have 75000 miles on it and have only had to replace the Firestone tire with good old Michelins.Outside of oil changes all that I have done is replace the fan belt.(guess now its called by another name)
On my wifes SUV we have never done a thing but oil changes
Love the OLD Fords.
Photo Two old cars both bought use, both have been no problem.I saved lots of $$$ and had NO payment.
PS My Squarestream was used also.Hope Y'll have Good Sam roadside assistance
THERE ARE THREE KINDS OF COWBOYS:THE ONES THAT LEARN BY READING.THE FEW WHO LEARN BY OBSERVATION.THE REST OF THEM HAVE TO PEE ON THE ELECTRIC FENCE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	part room 018.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	507.2 KB
ID:	190606  
Old 07-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
All kinds of snobs in this world.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Just curious if those with towing issues if you were in tow haul mode? It appears for example that in tow haul mode in over drive (6th gear) the RPM are about 500 higher then when not in tow haul mode. The point being that when using tow haul mode the engine and tranny are not searching for the proper gear and RPM's.
No, not in tow/haul mode. And my issues were not just while towing. Loss of power happened three times. Two while towing / one solo.
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
No, not in tow/haul mode. And my issues were not just while towing. Loss of power happened three times. Two while towing / one solo.
You could of put it in neutral and floored it until something happend.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
My theory is the more crap, the more crap fails, especially new crap, like turbo's on gassers. The diesels still have problems with even more and newer crap every year. My old V-10 Ford gasser is the best gas engine ever made for towing, IMHO. It is still evident, since most all Class C RV's are still using the V-10 and is the champ engine of all time for RV gas engines on the road today, since 1999.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #48
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I agree with pappy....but when it is time to upgrade and you want to go new one must go with what is out there.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
My theory is the more crap, the more crap fails, especially new crap, like turbo's on gassers. The diesels still have problems with even more and newer crap every year. My old V-10 Ford gasser is the best gas engine ever made for towing, IMHO. It is still evident, since most all Class C RV's are still using the V-10 and is the champ engine of all time for RV gas engines on the road today, since 1999.
I have to disagree in general. Engines of today are far more complicated than engines of 30+ years ago - yet they are significantly more reliable.

Yes there are blips along the way, and examples of technology that was not that successful. And I certainly will not question anybody who is wanting to take a wait and see approach to a new piece of kit.

But this is how designs improve. The good stuff lives on and the bad stuff gets thrown by the wayside.

Turbos are here to stay. It allows higher performance from a smaller engine. The car companies are forced into hitting emissions targets for their vehicles, but still have to deliver performance.
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
sussex , New Jersey
Just got off the phone with my Ford dealer and he stated the alleged fix has not been successful . He recommended "getting in to it" every 30 minutes or so if in those wet humid conditions. Said Ford would notify if they make some sort of recall.
bmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bmark, sounds to me like your dealer is confused. You might wish to talk to another service department.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i just got a call from my area district dealer rep.

she told me just what the dealer said, "no code/no repair". she said that the dealer tried to replicate the problem without success. i asked how that was when it was warm and dry and the trailer was not with the truck. i WAS offered the opportunity for ME to drive my truck and trailer around until it happens again and come right into the dealer. i told her even if this was a logical solution, my truck and trailer are too big to fit in their lot. it sounded a lot like i was being told to "go play in traffic". so, i'm just going to have my attorney send a letter to ford and the dealer putting them on notice. if nothing goes wrong then great but if something hits the fan, they can be the deep pocket. i'm giving ford an "F".
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post

Turbos are here to stay. It allows higher performance from a smaller engine. The car companies are forced into hitting emissions targets for their vehicles, but still have to deliver performance.
Well, Ford and GM and a lot of the others have been saying that turbos are "here to stay" since the late 1970's. And yet, the majority of vehicles sold even now are NA.
Let's face it, a turbo is a precision little device that is asked to perform under very difficult conditions. To expect them to be spectacularly reliable across the fleet for long mileage intervals is asking a lot.

Personally, I avoid them whenever possible........the Ford PS TD sitting down by the barn, notwithstanding.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I do not understand why people are being jerked around by their dealerships. When I took mine in I told them the issue, gave them the number of the update and they flashed my computer, no further questions asked. I have had no repeates of the engine stumble.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I do not understand why people are being jerked around by their dealerships. When I took mine in I told them the issue, gave them the number of the update and they flashed my computer, no further questions asked. I have had no repeates of the engine stumble.
Michael,
I think it is as you have stated elsewhere: not all dealers are equal. As a for instance, here in my fair city, many of the dealers have few ( or none ) techs that can properly work on powerstrokes. But we do have very large "truck oriented" dealership that is well equipped to fix these trucks.
If someone is having a hard time getting their dealers attention on these ecoboost F150's, I would suggest trying to find a dealer in your area that is a high volume F series seller. The odds of them being well versed in fixing them is, IMO, better.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
It's always risky to buy an early edition of any vehicle, especially with new (newer) technology.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
It's always risky to buy an early edition of any vehicle, especially with new (newer) technology.
True enough. But Ford has been messing around with turbos on their vehicles since the late 1970's. If they have not worked it out yet ( they haven't ), then I'm not holding my breath on it.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
I began reading about the engine shudder problem with eco boost engines shortly after my purchase and I did experience the problem one time. I took it back to the dealer and told them of the problem and the specific TSB to fix the problem. They ordered the parts and fixed the problem a few weeks later. No problems since. Not sure why some people are having a hard time getting a dealership to make the repairs. The torque curve on this engine is amazing!
Ramble On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
You got it right the V10 is the Champ for towing.
When I got mine 13 years ago there where so many thread on the inter net with so many problems about the V10 I was thinking it was like cowboy coffee not safe to drink or owen.But it has done its job well towing in the hills and on the flat.Love it.
BUT the EPA would not like the MPG in this day and age.
Even smartass snobs like me know ranchers,family business owners and smart consumers can make better decisions about the future than the government can.
YOU MAY THINK THE GRASS IS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE.BUT IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO WATER YOUR OWN GRASS IT WOULD BE JUST AS GREEN.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble On View Post
I began reading about the engine shudder problem with eco boost engines shortly after my purchase and I did experience the problem one time. I took it back to the dealer and told them of the problem and the specific TSB to fix the problem. They ordered the parts and fixed the problem a few weeks later. No problems since. Not sure why some people are having a hard time getting a dealership to make the repairs. The torque curve on this engine is amazing!
And don't get me wrong, I am not saying that boosted motors don't make torque. And one can certainly argue that it is possible to design the system where you can get reasonable fuel mileage when under low boost cruise, and yet still have great torque when you stand on the pedal. The powerstroke does all of that ( well, sort of, as for the off boost economy ), but I just think anyone buying a vehicle with a turbocharger on it should do so with their eyes wide open ( and potentially their wallet too, if they are planning to keep it beyond the warranty period ).
They work well, when they are working. Everybody I know that has a F150 ecoboost likes the power.