Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I'm going to guess that T.I. built the switch to Fords Spec.

I'm also going to guess that Ford designed it so there was 12v to the system at all times.

I'm not going to try to guess why they still do this with the years of fires and recalls they have had.

Jim is right, this is not about Ford vs GM vs Chrysler, etc. All of the brands have their own set of problems.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #42
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
You do understand that from what I've read, the fire could happen anytime power is supplied to the switch. Though I understand that when your in the car it's noticable, but who wants to have a fire while towing a few tons behind them? I'd be inclined to simply leave it deactivated until the proper fix is in place.
Considering that my 1995 F-150 made it with over 182K miles before the fuse was installed without a fire and the wife's Expedition (the one I reconnected the cruise control on) had over 120K miles on it at the time, the chances of a speeding ticket over those two three day weekend trips were WAY more than the chances of a fire from the switch.

BTW, this was before we got the Airstream. I tow it with my F-250 and, yes, I do use the cruise control when I tow it.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
No word from FORD yet...

Our mechanic disconnected the cruise control wires as indicated by you guys. It had been in his garage for a day and it was HOT!! Thanks guys!!

The Ford dealer is still clueless he says he can't do anything until he gets written orders from the mother company...outrageous!

It's a shame that such a big company falls for such a trivial little switch/wire.
This is our third recall with this truck in 4 years! Never buying a Ford again!

Our 98 Honda Civic, has 140,000 and besides a little wear and tear maintenance still works like a jewel. Never a problem! As does our friend's Camry... Now, we need a new baby friendly station wagon/compact car and are very uncertain on what to get.

Consumer report's does not reccomend any domestic cars in it's top star rating for baby safety (side impact included). That makes you wonder...Volvo, Audi, Saab, BMW, Subaru are all up there but our Ford is nowhere to be seen on the list.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #44
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
A word about Consumer Reports. I “quit” this organization about 10 years ago, specifically because of the automobile rating system. At the time, the way they rated cars was by a voluntary reporting system from their members (and only their members). Basically, they would send questionnaires to the members and ask them “what went wrong with your new car in the first year ownership”. Completely non-scientific. It was basically a system of “check this box” and it only applied to the first year of ownership. And it only applied to those folks that bothered to answer. We never received any of these questionnaires in all the years we were members. Makes you wonder what their error rates and controls are. Bias can be inserted in oh-so-many ways when there is no control over the “control” group. It may be different these days, but they’ve seen the last of my hard earned dollars.

Just my 2 kopeks.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:51 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I know this is a old thread but there is a fix for that at the Ford dealer. I hear.
When I found out that all it takes is to unplug the wires from the switch thats what I did a year ago, rather than take a chance on losing my 94 F150.I have never gotten an appointment to have it repaired.
The cruise just don't work big deal.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
[quote=KIMILI]

It's a shame that such a big company falls for such a trivial little switch/wire.
This is our third recall with this truck in 4 years! Never buying a Ford again!

Our 98 Honda Civic, has 140,000 and besides a little wear and tear maintenance still works like a jewel. Never a problem!

I've heard this for over forty years now, "Never buying a Ford again," and I hope you don't. Please take your 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 Ltr diesel straight to the scrap yard and have it crushed; And please send pictures of your fantastic Honda Civic towing you Airstream trailer.

If this is too harsh, Moderators, you have my permission to delete this post.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:27 AM   #47
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You know, I've had two Honda's in my family. I had one and my wife had one. Put over a 100K's on mine before I sold it to buy my F-150. Had very few problems with it and at the time would have bought another except I needed a truck. Bought my wife a new Honda in 1988 when we got married. Kept it for 11 years until she totaled it in a slight accident (no one hurt, thank God). Put over 120K's on hers. She loved the car. But we had numerous problems with hers. She still loved the car and we planned to keep it another year before buying her an Expedition. After a week in her new Expedition after the accident, she said she would never go back to a small sedan again because she loved being able to see over other cars.

Point is, even Hondas can have problems and as much as we love them at the time we can find new loves that make us move on and leave them behind.

I now drive an F-250 as my daily driver and tow vehicle. My wife is on her second Expedition and it was her choice. We had discussed a Lexus RX-400H and I really thought that was what she was going to buy, but she decided after the test drive she didn't like it. She looked at the Volvo SUV and decided she didn't like it either.

While her Expedition Limited has more equipment and cost more than either of the two import mid-sized SUV brands she looked at, we think the extra cost and size make it well worth having another Expedition. What will she, or I, get next? Who knows? I'm thinking either a Volvo S-80 or Lexus LS-460 and keep the F-250 for towing. Or I may just upgrade to one of the new generation F-250 6.4L diesels. But I'm willing to buy another Ford product, or any other for that matter.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
I dropped my 2001 Ford Ranger off at the dealer last Weds to have the rear brakes replaced in preparation for an upcoming road trip and when I got home in my mailbox was my Recall Notice from Ford about the cruise control wiring/fire issue.

To be honest, I had never heard of this issue before. Maybe I am living a sheltered life or something, but the info that my truck could have spontaneously combusted while parked in my garage (which is attached to my house) was a total surprise. Anyway, I called up the Ford dealer since the truck was still there and he agreed mine was under the recall and they installed the "pigtail" fuse link which supposedly takes care of it.

But maybe I will park out in the driveway for awhile anyway.

regards, Dave.
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
KIMILI
Thats the biggest load of crap I have hear yet. That dealer has been notified at least a year ago of the recall. I got a letter from Ford at least that long ago. A friend took his '96 in they just unhooked the plug as I told U before.
When u made the appointment at the Ford dealer and took it in that was supposed to put u on a notify list so u could take it back when the circuit mods came from Ford. I choose to unplug mine because I never use the cruise anyway.
Dont let these people put u off. Call or e-mail Ford
Good Luck
Roger
Old 08-22-2007, 07:34 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Dave
I guess I live a shelter life also I didnt know the recall extended to Rangers also.I thought it was just for F150's. I trust no vehicle parked in an attached garage.
The BestTo U
Roger
Old 08-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
...too much anger from some...

Called both Ford and two other dealers again today. Our vin is not on the list...yet

Seems that Ford is rolling this recall in various phases not to overwhelm the dealers. Our dealer has an average of 20 recall vehicles a day he's been taking more calls in than ever. He suggested I call back in September and don't worry about itOur cruise control is disconnected at this point so we'll wait. Every state may be different. It's a lot of vehicles being recalled.

Good luck to all you other Ford owners
Old 08-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
This latest huge recall (according to Washington Post) is supposed to affect:

98-02 Ford Ranger
99-01 Ford Explorer
03-04 Ford F-150 Lightning
95-02 Ford F53 Motorhomes
99-01 Mercury Mountaineer
01-02 Ford Explorer Sport and Sport Trac
92-93 E150-E350 Vans
97-02 E150-E350 Vans
93 F-Series Pickups
93 Ford Bronco
92-97 Lincoln Town Car
92-97 Crown Victoria
92-97 Mercury Grand Marquis
93-98 Lincoln Mark VIII
93-95 Taurus SHO
94 Mercury Capri

so that's a lot of vehicles so I can see why dealers might be overwhelmed.

regards, Dave
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I guess I'm just lucky.

My Ranger was a great truck and never a problem. So when it was time I got an F150. Lots of miles and never a problem or repair required. So when it was time I got an F250 PSD. So far no problems or repirs required. All the while the Crown Vic and Mercury Maruader just continued to run and run with no problems recalls or repairs.

Oddly I was always a Chevy guy until I bought that Ranger.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote