Old 08-04-2007, 09:50 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
ford exploder fire

and this is what it looks like when the fire gets going....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Ford Exploder 014.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	42491  

Old 08-04-2007, 09:50 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cowpokes
We were fortunate that the fire occurred during the daytime and we took quick action to prevent collateral damage to the A/S and nearby barn.

Others were not so lucky as there have been fatalities when the fires happened to vehicles in garages attached to homes.
Yea, I heard about those, but I am glad that all turned out well (in a matter of speaking) in your case, compared to what could have happened.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasafari
and this is what it looks like when the fire gets going....
That your truck?
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 08-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
nope, the DW's daily driver. It was at the dealer for some warranty work on the tranny when it sort of got hot......
Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasafari
nope, the DW's daily driver. It was at the dealer for some warranty work on the tranny when it sort of got hot......
Puts a whole new meaning to a cooked trans! Shoulda had a better trans cooler!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:14 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
if you look closely the trans cooler, radiator and ac condenser all melted. The fire was not transmission related, started suspiciously near the master cylinder.....
Old 08-04-2007, 11:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
To defend and condemn Ford

Hi, the problem is the criuse control "de-activation switch" [mounted on the master cylinder] that develops an internal leak, short, then fire. The first recall was to replace this switch and wire connector. [the original problem]The second recall was to replace the connector with one with an inline fuse. This is to protect the vehicle in the case that the switch leaks, causes high resistance, and then blows the fuse, thus preventing fire.
If you have fear of this happening to you, the best and easiest thing to do is to unplug the de-activation switch on the master cylinder. I personally, for the life of me, don't understand why Ford has to have power to this at all times; You only need power to this when in use.
And finally, as a Ford dealer employee, I / we have no information on what the third recall will entail. My guess is that Ford will fix the remaining vehicles with a fused connector / pigtail.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:29 PM   #22
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cowpokes
Read all the details in our post #42 on the previous thread about the defective cruise-control switch recall
which is exactly why yet another thread on this issue wasn't needed.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...all-17027.html

this string of posts should just be tacked on to the thread stef started last summer....

that would be the most useful thing for those that NEED to know about the recall details.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Using the cruise control doesn't cause the fire. As I understand it there is a pressure switch on the master cylinder that turns off the cruise control when the brakes are pressed. Stepping on the brakes increases the fluid pressure against a thin diaphragm in the switch. If that diaphragm ruptures, brake fluid will contact the electrical connection in the switch, causing a short, which causes the fire. The wiring in the switch is 'hot' all the time, even when the ignition is off. That is why it can happen even while the car is parked (and it has happened to cars parked in the garage, causing damage to the garage and house as well).

Happened to my neighbor, he was luck and caught it before it burned down the warehouse the truck was parked in. Totaled the truck, he now has a brand new Toyota in his driveway. I have two fires waiting to happen parked in my driveway.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #24
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, the problem is the criuse control "de-activation switch" [mounted on the master cylinder] that develops an internal leak, short, then fire. The first recall was to replace this switch and wire connector. [the original problem]The second recall was to replace the connector with one with an inline fuse. This is to protect the vehicle in the case that the switch leaks, causes high resistance, and then blows the fuse, thus preventing fire.
If you have fear of this happening to you, the best and easiest thing to do is to unplug the de-activation switch on the master cylinder. I personally, for the life of me, don't understand why Ford has to have power to this at all times; You only need power to this when in use.
And finally, as a Ford dealer employee, I / we have no information on what the third recall will entail. My guess is that Ford will fix the remaining vehicles with a fused connector / pigtail.
What value fuse do you think appropriate? Something which will accept the normal loads of the circuit but will blow before it will get too hot. 2 amp?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
which is exactly why yet another thread on this issue wasn't needed.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...all-17027.html

this string of posts should just be tacked on to the thread stef started last summer....

that would be the most useful thing for those that NEED to know about the recall details.

cheers
2air'

OMG The thread police caught me. This was a new turn of recalls that Ford finally admitted was and still is a big issue with these vehicles. I felt it was important enough to warrent it's own thread. If the MODS feel it should be combined then have at it. Just wanted to keep those interested up to date on the latest developments.

Now - back on topic. I went out to look at mine - 2002 F250 - that according to all the published data is not in the recall lists, and it is the same exact model sensor on the recall vehicles. It is now disconnected and awaiting a look by the dealer.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Another news item on this subject....

Ford recalling millions of vehicles because of faulty switches - CNN.com

New BAD news.....
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:04 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here was the story that I read a while back (that CNN now posted recently) about the man that lost his wife where he claimed the truck started the fire:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/15/ford.recall/index.html
Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 AM   #28
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Though I'm not a Ford fan, I sure hope this doens't put them over the edge. Things are bad all around the domestic camps nowadays, but Ford, unlike GM and Diamler/Chrysler feels the pain easier than the other two, though that is not saying all that much.

You wonder how much red ink one company can endure?
As much red ink as we will buy for them. Ford Mfg has been a loser for a loooong time. The saving grace for Ford is their financing, Ford Motor Credit Corp is the breadwinner.
Having been involved in a lawsuit with Ford, professional witnesses and public information stock figures, demonstrates that Ford MFG is losing money everyday in a huge way. But FMMC is making 2.2 million dollars EVERY day.

I think my opinion of Ford is also public information on this thread. No fires in my driveway EVER!