Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2005, 08:05 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Ford Cruise Control Recall

Did anyone else see this

Ford Cruise Control Fires

Apparently they have recalled some but not all of the vehicles with this same switch design. My '95 E150 has the same switch, with a hot wire even with the key out. It's no guarentee that it will burst into flames, but I'm not comfortable with it sitting parked next to the trailer (or towing it down the road like that), so I disconnected it until they can convince me otherwise. Not like I'll miss having cruise control, I never use it.

Still, it's shameful that Ford would have a known problem and not promptly recall all the vehicles with the same switch, instead picking and choosing, and letting other vehicles catch fire and deny responsibility.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
St James City , Florida
Did we Pass?
tinman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:11 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Dang, youre fast! I put the message up with test in it to begin with because I was having trouble starting a post. It finally worked! So I guess you pass

Old 06-16-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Those darn fords

I checked and no I don't have a Ford F-150 I have a 1999 Ford F-250 but the Ford Recall never affected my truck apparently. I am a happy camper and working on my airstream is my latest job, (although I do go to a regular job 40 hours on any airstream week)....isn't time really related to airstream weeks? I find that so many people on this site have so darn, (not the real expletive I had in mind), much time to play they don't really talk about too much else other than airstreams so I figure any time I have is really airstream time. I also wish there was more technical advice on some issues here.
bdlwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:28 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Ask away, and any technical questions you have will probably be addressed.

Keep in mind that even if the recall didn't effect you, your truck probably has the same switch as those that have been recalled. That's the part that makes me so mad - now you have to figure out if it's a hazard or not and if you want to do something about it, or wait for a future recall to apply to you.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

The recall was mostly limited to 2000 & 2001 Expeditions and some SuperCrews. I know, our Expy was one of them.

The problem isn't so much the switch itself as a harness connector outside the firewall. IIRC, it is possible for brake fluid to drip from the master cylinder onto the improperly sealed connector, thus corroding the contacts and potentially shorting it out, thus potentially starting a spontaneous fire.
Ferroequine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:33 PM   #7
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Actually, there is another major Ford recall coming down the pipe. It will involve 03, 04 and 05 SuperDuties with the 6.0 Diesel engine.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:07 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
As I understand it's the connector on top of the switch, or the switch itself located at the front end of the master cylinder, which shorts and fries. Here's another discussion about it on an F150 forum:

Ford Cruise Control Switch Recall

Old 06-17-2005, 06:19 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Pork, you gotta give us a cookie here... I mean to post that and run.....

As for what you said Steph about how it's bad that they have a known issue and don't address it.....you can thank the bean counters for that. All auto makers do it (though I would have liked to have said it's just a Ford thing) according to one of my buddies that works out in auto city....so take this at face value.

I'm told when an issue is found, the bean counters weigh what it would cost to fix it vs. any or the worst possible lawsuit costs they could be hit for if this became an issue. Sometimes the bean counters are right and other times not as right. Take GMs "outside" the frame box gas tank on the truck line. At any rate as long as it's cheaper to get sued and pay a sum less than what it would take to fix an issue then the issue stays as is, unless NHTSA (or whatever it's letters are) forces them to recall.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:51 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I'm told when an issue is found, the bean counters weigh what it would cost to fix it vs. any or the worst possible lawsuit costs they could be hit for if this became an issue. Sometimes the bean counters are right and other times not as right. Take GMs "outside" the frame box gas tank on the truck line. At any rate as long as it's cheaper to get sued and pay a sum less than what it would take to fix an issue then the issue stays as is, unless NHTSA (or whatever it's letters are) forces them to recall.
Sad but true...
Ferroequine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:42 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Remember the Pinto, and its exploding gas tank??? Same thing.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:24 PM   #12
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Thumbs down Flaming Fords ... one hot vehicle!

"It is a matter of more than public record, a matter of MILLIONS and MILLIONS of Chilton manuals, Haynes manuals, Ford service manuals, etc., that "reveal" Ford has been using a brake fluid pressure triggered cruise control shut off. Thousands of service techicians across the U.S., Canada, and Mexico know the extent to which this style switch is used.

This has not been done in some dark corner. Ford has used this switch with little to no problem for twelve years. Furthermore, I would like to see some record of how many cruise control shut-offs from GM, DCX, etc., have failed, leading to unexpected acceleration when the brakes are released."

I stumbled across the above response comment after reading the CNN article that Stephanie brought to our attention. With their advanced engineering I feel confident that $$ & politics allowed the part to make it into production.

Although, 559 complaints out of 16,000,000 (sixteen million) - well ...
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 04:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Did anyone else see this

Ford Cruise Control Fires

Still, it's shameful that Ford would have a known problem and not promptly recall all the vehicles with the same switch, instead picking and choosing, and letting other vehicles catch fire and deny responsibility.
Normal mode of operatation. Ford at one time stated "Its cheaper for us to pay the lawsuits then repair the problem".

That was about the pinto.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 06:37 PM   #14
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Red face They are all the same ...

59toaster,

A very accurate statement, although don't even begin to infer that Ford is the only culprit in compromise of safety for profit. All the high volume manufacturers of consumer products are the same. Even the toy makers.

Although, since I happen to be closer to Ford information I will offer you an article about the Pinto. As follows:

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/fortu...184-14,00.html
NORM #3305

... if you're handy ...
Old 06-19-2005, 10:29 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
I think my dissapointment is not only in Ford (and other companies that do the same) but even more in our government agencies that are supposed to protect consumers and let the companies get away with making these deals. I am not one of those people who thinks the government should fix everything for us, but this is one area where they can provide a real service, and I think they bargan and make deals to protect companies, protect jobs, and sell out the consumers in the process.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Do you think this would apply to my 1995 ? With the front disk rotors that are too thin to keep from warping ?
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:41 AM   #17
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rotor warp ...

C Johnson,

A very common problem. You have to go a loooong way to find a dealer that will get approval to re-fit new brakes under the original or ESP extended warranty.

I've owned 4 Excursions & one F-250 since 2000 ... each one had this rotor warp problem.

The one possible correction I have heard of is to utilize the proper tightening sequence and insure that each lug is brought up tight then sequenced to 165 ft pounds of torque.

As you are aware, most tire stores do not even think of a tightening sequence. Just a pit stop for them.

Don't know if this will help, but I suppose its worth a try.

Otherwise when you go for replacements you may want to go the Cryogenic route. See: http://www.frozenrotors.com/

Good luck!
NORM #3305

... if you're handy ...
Old 06-20-2005, 06:24 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Do you think this would apply to my 1995 ? With the front disk rotors that are too thin to keep from warping ?
It may apply to your 1995, but don't expect any recall notices for it, you will most likely have to get it taken care of yourself.
The warped front rotor problem has been around for a very long time. That, and the rotor wear problem have been covered on other threads pretty extensively, but the Reader's Digest version is: Ford used smaller rotors than they should have, made from cheaper, softer steel in them, to make the rotors lighter and cheaper.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:02 AM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
I hadn't heard about the rotor problem. The rotors on my 95 Mustang warped at 60k, and the 95 E150 is starting to show signs of it also. Good job there, Ford...

Old 06-20-2005, 09:09 AM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Have you driven a Ford.......lately!

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if it weren't for my Ford, my tools would rust.

In all seriousness, every vehicle has some issues from all manufacs, it's just that I can't pass up a good Ford hit when the opp presents itself.

GM had the Corvair and the side saddle gas tanks...Ford had the Pinto, the Firestone issue that was never really fully understood how the Explorer, above all others had higher failure rates, this brake issue....while I'm not even gonna get into the Dodge cause I don't consider them a domestic anymore, let alone a real competitor to GM and Ford (kind of like the Ralph Nader in political circles), particularly in the transmission department. Folks know how I feel about Fords, but I'd buy a Ford before a Dodge....sorry Mopar fans, the 60s are over.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote