Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
Angry Ford brake controller issues

Last week we hooked up Bambi to go away for the weekend and our 2010 F150 with an integrated brake controller , on the dash it read NO TRAILER CONNECTED , all the trailer lights worked , as well as the brakes . Off we went while driving w e a chime and message TRAILER DISCONNECTED . The truck went to the dealer yesterday and they said it needed a new controller and replaced it under warranty . Hooked up today and we still got NO TRAILER CONNECTED . Anyone else with this type of problem ? , Thanks Kipper
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Find a place where you can hook up another trailer to your truck to test it, if it works, chances are it's your trailer and it could be a short in the wiring. If it still doesn't work, take the truck back to the dealer. You can also hook up your trailer to another truck to test it

This happened to me and Ford and Airstream were pointing fingers at each other. Hooked up my trailer to my neighbors truck and still no connection. Took the trailer to the dealer, told them what I did...they spent some time on it and found two shorts in the brake wiring.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Does your trailer have disc brakes or is your truck set for hydraulic over electric vice just electric brakes?
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
What CA Streamer said.

A 2010 Ford F-150 with a tow package brake controller should recognize and activated a 2006 Airstream's brake system if all the wiring systems were correct. Does another tow vehicle properly activate your Bambi's electric brakes? If so, it can only be the Ford's brake system problem.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
I had similar issue with brake. Wound up being a contact issue so I cleaned them with contact cleaner and that cleared up the issue.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
kipper,

iirc, there is a 30 amp (??) fuse that must be installed in order for any brake controller to be properly powered in that vehicle.

I know this because I had to install that fuse on on our last 3 F150s.

I'll look at my 2011 manual in the morning for the spec & location; I believe that both model years are electrically pretty much the same.

if your F150 was factory ordered with the Trailer Tow Package and the Integrated Brake Controller, they should have handed you the fuse in a little plastic bag when you took delivery.

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
kipper,

iirc, there is a 30 amp (??) fuse that must be installed in order for any brake controller to be properly powered in that vehicle.

I'll look at my 2011 manual in the morning for the spec & location; I believe that both model years are electrically pretty much the same.

if your F150 was factory ordered with the Trailer Tow Package and the Integrated Brake Controller, they should have handed you the fuse in a little plastic bag when you took delivery.

best,
It is a fuse and a relay on my 2010 F-150 that had to be installed.....
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
there is a power block housing fuses and relays in the engine compartment, on top of the radiator. the location numbers are mapped on the underside of the cover.
  • Fuse/Relay location #9 should have a relay - p/n AL3T-15A416-AA
  • Fuse/Relay locations #17 and #21 should each have a 30A fuse
hope that this helps!

best,

Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
another question that might be worth asking would be -

"did it ever work before, or is the first time you've hitched up this truck to this trailer?"

Old 04-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Kipper,
If your trailer has hydraulic brakes, that could be the problem. The Ford brake controller (at least on my F250) will only work on electric brakes. I had to install an after market brake controller and have Ford disconnect the factory controller. Hope that helps.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
kipper,

That was what we discovered after hanging around scratching our heads in the cold rainy weather until my frame guy said we should check the fuse. 2007 Ford Freestar, first time it ever had a trailer.

Anyway, fuse? No fuse. Put in fuse, drive away.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
The F150 fuse and relay noted are both for the circuit to supply high current to charge the trailer battery. Has nothing to do with the brake controller. I towed 2500 miles without the fuse/relay and had no problems or messages from the integrated brake controller. Suggest you focus on trailer shorts or dirty connection at the plug. The suggestion to swap trailers or tow vehicles is good and may determine where to point the finger.

Don
Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Hi kipper,

We had the same "no trailer connected" message - the fault was water in the 7-way harness plug to socket connector. That's the connector behind the 7-way socket on our 2008 F350 tow vehicle.

John in the UK
WK57ABF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I have to ass-u-me that you have no trlr brakes and that the dealer tested the new controller as good, after-all that's part of the repair, if so the problems most likely in the trailer wiring.
Inspect the 7-way first, something that should have been done during diagnosis at the dealer.

Bob
Old 04-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
The F150 fuse and relay noted are both for the circuit to supply high current to charge the trailer battery. Has nothing to do with the brake controller. I towed 2500 miles without the fuse/relay and had no problems or messages from the integrated brake controller. Suggest you focus on trailer shorts or dirty connection at the plug. The suggestion to swap trailers or tow vehicles is good and may determine where to point the finger.

Don
i agree

they are for powering the charging circuit to the trailer batteries only.

some say to leave out when not needed-- as if left in the 7way connecter has 12+volts that are not being used, but can cause the 7way to corrode with moisture.

another don
alclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Hatboro , Pennsylvania
The other night I plugged the truck into another trailer , and it worked fine , so it's the Airstream . Kipper
Old 04-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Hatboro , Pennsylvania
Today I replaced the 7 way connecter off the trailer , and appears 0to work (for now ) thanks for your help . Kipper
Old 09-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I posted my story on another thread regarding brake away cable length but this is a good spot to mention it as well.

I visited the Top of Georgia Airstream Park in Helen, GA this month. On my way from there to Cleveland, Ga and homeward my 2015 F150 brake controller started smoking. The electrical burn smell was strong. Then, the trailer locked the brakes along the downhill mountain blvd. Scary.

We checked the brake away and the trailer circuits since the truck said trailer wiring fault- duh. The Airstream was fine. It stopped and released the brakes as expected with the breakaway. So, we made it to the Ford dealer in Cleveland, GA. Who tested the truck on their trailer and watched the OEM BCM sizzle and die. They replaced it and I got home to FL.

Now, researching the situation I discovered an interesting detail of fact. First, they have been having many failures in late models. They have redesigned the new body style (2015 and newer) now SIX TIMES. The latest iteration is part number JL3Z19H332AA. I found out that they replaced mine with a superseded part. There is a reason they keep redesigning them. Anywho, I got so disgusted I registered it with NHSTA and called Ford and traded the truck- hey, the last part was not just for that but...

It is, in my opinion, dangerous. The trailer can stop the truck but I was only doing about 40mph at most. Imagine highway speed and people behind you! The F150 forum is a buzz over the issue. Some state it is the poster's trailer, NADA. Could be but too many burn ups. Others say the impedance on the sensor is too narrowly set- huh. Whatever, lots of reasons. I hope the last iteration is made correctly.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
. ....Others say the impedance on the sensor is too narrowly set- huh. ......
Hi

In this day and age it's a good bet Ford is doing something like a PWM or switching regulator to generate the variable voltage to the brakes. One of the key parameters in designing a circuit like that is the inductance of the load. Presumably they test them over some range of inductance they consider reasonable. Get that range wrong and the testing isn't quite so valid ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I posted my story on another thread regarding brake away cable length but this is a good spot to mention it as well.

I visited the Top of Georgia Airstream Park in Helen, GA this month. On my way from there to Cleveland, Ga and homeward my 2015 F150 brake controller started smoking. The electrical burn smell was strong. Then, the trailer locked the brakes along the downhill mountain blvd. Scary.

We checked the brake away and the trailer circuits since the truck said trailer wiring fault- duh. The Airstream was fine. It stopped and released the brakes as expected with the breakaway. So, we made it to the Ford dealer in Cleveland, GA. Who tested the truck on their trailer and watched the OEM BCM sizzle and die. They replaced it and I got home to FL.

Now, researching the situation I discovered an interesting detail of fact. First, they have been having many failures in late models. They have redesigned the new body style (2015 and newer) now SIX TIMES. The latest iteration is part number JL3Z19H332AA. I found out that they replaced mine with a superseded part. There is a reason they keep redesigning them. Anywho, I got so disgusted I registered it with NHSTA and called Ford and traded the truck- hey, the last part was not just for that but...

It is, in my opinion, dangerous. The trailer can stop the truck but I was only doing about 40mph at most. Imagine highway speed and people behind you! The F150 forum is a buzz over the issue. Some state it is the poster's trailer, NADA. Could be but too many burn ups. Others say the impedance on the sensor is too narrowly set- huh. Whatever, lots of reasons. I hope the last iteration is made correctly.

I am correcting my earlier post due to perhaps smart word interpretation by my device. The sentence stating they have changed the body style should read they have redesigned the brake controller unit six times.