Old 04-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Wilmington , DE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
The F150 fuse and relay noted are both for the circuit to supply high current to charge the trailer battery. Has nothing to do with the brake controller. I towed 2500 miles without the fuse/relay and had no problems or messages from the integrated brake controller. Suggest you focus on trailer shorts or dirty connection at the plug. The suggestion to swap trailers or tow vehicles is good and may determine where to point the finger.

Don
i agree

they are for powering the charging circuit to the trailer batteries only.

some say to leave out when not needed-- as if left in the 7way connecter has 12+volts that are not being used, but can cause the 7way to corrode with moisture.

another don

Old 04-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
The other night I plugged the truck into another trailer , and it worked fine , so it's the Airstream . Kipper

kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
Today I replaced the 7 way connecter off the trailer , and appears 0to work (for now ) thanks for your help . Kipper
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I posted my story on another thread regarding brake away cable length but this is a good spot to mention it as well.

I visited the Top of Georgia Airstream Park in Helen, GA this month. On my way from there to Cleveland, Ga and homeward my 2015 F150 brake controller started smoking. The electrical burn smell was strong. Then, the trailer locked the brakes along the downhill mountain blvd. Scary.

We checked the brake away and the trailer circuits since the truck said trailer wiring fault- duh. The Airstream was fine. It stopped and released the brakes as expected with the breakaway. So, we made it to the Ford dealer in Cleveland, GA. Who tested the truck on their trailer and watched the OEM BCM sizzle and die. They replaced it and I got home to FL.

Now, researching the situation I discovered an interesting detail of fact. First, they have been having many failures in late models. They have redesigned the new body style (2015 and newer) now SIX TIMES. The latest iteration is part number JL3Z19H332AA. I found out that they replaced mine with a superseded part. There is a reason they keep redesigning them. Anywho, I got so disgusted I registered it with NHSTA and called Ford and traded the truck- hey, the last part was not just for that but...

It is, in my opinion, dangerous. The trailer can stop the truck but I was only doing about 40mph at most. Imagine highway speed and people behind you! The F150 forum is a buzz over the issue. Some state it is the poster's trailer, NADA. Could be but too many burn ups. Others say the impedance on the sensor is too narrowly set- huh. Whatever, lots of reasons. I hope the last iteration is made correctly.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
. ....Others say the impedance on the sensor is too narrowly set- huh. ......
Hi

In this day and age it's a good bet Ford is doing something like a PWM or switching regulator to generate the variable voltage to the brakes. One of the key parameters in designing a circuit like that is the inductance of the load. Presumably they test them over some range of inductance they consider reasonable. Get that range wrong and the testing isn't quite so valid ....

Bob
Old 10-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I posted my story on another thread regarding brake away cable length but this is a good spot to mention it as well.

I visited the Top of Georgia Airstream Park in Helen, GA this month. On my way from there to Cleveland, Ga and homeward my 2015 F150 brake controller started smoking. The electrical burn smell was strong. Then, the trailer locked the brakes along the downhill mountain blvd. Scary.

We checked the brake away and the trailer circuits since the truck said trailer wiring fault- duh. The Airstream was fine. It stopped and released the brakes as expected with the breakaway. So, we made it to the Ford dealer in Cleveland, GA. Who tested the truck on their trailer and watched the OEM BCM sizzle and die. They replaced it and I got home to FL.

Now, researching the situation I discovered an interesting detail of fact. First, they have been having many failures in late models. They have redesigned the new body style (2015 and newer) now SIX TIMES. The latest iteration is part number JL3Z19H332AA. I found out that they replaced mine with a superseded part. There is a reason they keep redesigning them. Anywho, I got so disgusted I registered it with NHSTA and called Ford and traded the truck- hey, the last part was not just for that but...

It is, in my opinion, dangerous. The trailer can stop the truck but I was only doing about 40mph at most. Imagine highway speed and people behind you! The F150 forum is a buzz over the issue. Some state it is the poster's trailer, NADA. Could be but too many burn ups. Others say the impedance on the sensor is too narrowly set- huh. Whatever, lots of reasons. I hope the last iteration is made correctly.

I am correcting my earlier post due to perhaps smart word interpretation by my device. The sentence stating they have changed the body style should read they have redesigned the brake controller unit six times.