Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
 
ArtStream's Avatar
 
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,002
Images: 65
Blog Entries: 1
Ford AC Question

It looks like the clutch on the AC compressor is slinging oil? I can see it on the underside if the hood.

It only happens when the AC is on. If i wipe it off and don't turn on the AC, clean.

Anything, anyone?
The way my luck is running lately I'm a little skittish

Michael
__________________

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
vswingfield's Avatar
 
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,773
Images: 32
Rivet (not Marvel) Mystery Oil

Hi Michael,

Iím concerned too. I donít recall ever seeing a clutch with oil. In every AC system Iíve worked on, the only oil was in the compressor. I looked at my F150, and nothing looks especially different, but itís way down under the engine and the view is not very good. I think you should have that checked out as soon as possible.
__________________

__________________
Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 667
Images: 11
Ford AC question

Sounds like the front seal is going bad.
Sorry.
In the olden days we used to replace those seals.
Not any more.
Now they replace the whole compressor.
Tip:
Run the compressor at least 20 minutes a week. It keeps the seals oiled and they seem to last longer.
Beginner
__________________
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
 
ArtStream's Avatar
 
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,002
Images: 65
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks Vaughn,

I've been stuck here in Las Cruces for TV repairs, and no sooner do I leave a week inside the Ford's dealers bay that within 2 hours I notice another unrelated issue.

I spent most of this year in a Ford repair bay somewhere in the country.

I'll be back in the repair bay 2maro
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
 
ArtStream's Avatar
 
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,002
Images: 65
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
Sounds like the front seal is going bad.
Sorry.
In the olden days we used to replace those seals.
Not any more.
Now they replace the whole compressor.
Tip:
Run the compressor at least 20 minutes a week. It keeps the seals oiled and they seem to last longer.
Beginner
Thanks B!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
vswingfield's Avatar
 
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,773
Images: 32
Rivet On Another Topic

Michael

I was just thinking about you yesterday. Gallery 1 in the University of Arkansas at Little Rockís (UALR) Fine Arts Building has an excellent display of Albrecht DŁrer and Rembrandt prints through March 16th. It is incredible that I can view these works with no admission other than walking to the next building to the one I work in. Wish you could see it.
__________________
Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
 
ArtStream's Avatar
 
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,002
Images: 65
Blog Entries: 1
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Michael

I was just thinking about you yesterday. Gallery 1 in the University of Arkansas at Little Rockís (UALR) Fine Arts Building has an excellent display of Albrecht DŁrer and Rembrandt prints through March 16th. It is incredible that I can view these works with no admission other than walking to the next building to the one I work in. Wish you could see it.
Gee, Durer, Rembrandt and me all in the same sentence

Thanks

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
 
ArtStream's Avatar
 
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,002
Images: 65
Blog Entries: 1
Ahh, I mean paragraph!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
vswingfield's Avatar
 
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,773
Images: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream
Gee, Durer, Rembrandt and me all in the same sentence

Thanks

Michael
I have thought about sneaking in and hanging my Cairo print that I got in Branson. Would look good, not to mention add a little color.
__________________
Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
E Pluribus Aluminus
 
Jaxon's Avatar
 
2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,214
Images: 10
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
I have thought about sneaking in and hanging my Cairo print that I got in Branson. Would look good, not to mention add a little color.
Be careful, Vaughn. With all the theft of priceless artworks going on, that Cairo original by Depraida would be a gonner for sure!
__________________
Bill & Kim
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,192
I just scanned through this thread, and thought I'd reaffirm it is the front seal in the compressor. If the sir still blows cold, you might as well keep running it until it stops being cold, just save your pennies for that day.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
 
ArtStream's Avatar
 
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,002
Images: 65
Blog Entries: 1
Can you hear me NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I just scanned through this thread, and thought I'd reaffirm it is the front seal in the compressor. If the sir still blows cold, you might as well keep running it until it stops being cold, just save your pennies for that day.
Will the clutch shear off and take out the fan and radiator and some hoses for good measure. Will it take place on Native Indian land miles away from anywhere with no cell service, on the labor day weekend.

Come on Terry, U know me better than that

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #13
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream
Will the clutch shear off and take out the fan and radiator and some hoses for good measure. Will it take place on Native Indian land miles away from anywhere with no cell service, on the labor day weekend.

Come on Terry, U know me better than that

Michael
I know that what will happen is the refrigerant will leak out, and the compressor will turn itself off due to lack of pressure, long before that happens. And even if it doesn't, and the compressor locks up, all yo have to do is switch the a/c off, and keep driving. The compressor will not turn if there is no electricity applied to it.
Of course, Murphy loves you almost as much as he loves me, so if there was a chance it could happen, it would happen to you...
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
NevadaGeo's Avatar
 
1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,305
My A/C was leaking the oil out a hole in the flexible metal tubing on top of the engine, dirtied up around the tubing, hood too. Hope you have something simple like that.
__________________

__________________
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Expedition as a TV Relentless Tow Vehicles 22 07-02-2007 03:44 PM
Airstream and Ford Happycampers Airstream "In the News" 0 05-11-2007 12:36 PM
Ford -- golddigger Off Topic Forum 5 01-31-2007 08:14 PM
1979 Ford F100 Towing Question Douglas Carr Tow Vehicles 0 09-12-2004 09:34 PM
Ford Windstar Gordon Watt Tow Vehicles 61 08-23-2002 09:33 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.