Old 02-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

fuel price issues might keep some out of the diesels but i'm really glad i didn't get a gasser.

RITA...Have not seen a post since you started this thread a month ago.. but whatever it is worth, to the 2's point... diesel may appear to hit the wallet at the pump a little more than the gasser but if you buy the V10 (which is the only other option for power and torque under the Ford badge canít speak to other brands since Iíve never owned)... you'll fill up more and spend more in the long run on the gasser.. Both have all of the rock star power youíll ever need or want so the choice in the end is yours.

I tow with an '05 PSD and it's great... what can I say....I'm hooked....and looking forward to the feedback on the new í08 6.4L PSD....

Once you go diesel you never go back.....

BTW this thread is about towing..

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob
I was talking to a salesperson about the 2008's. He said they may be in as soon as several weeks/month!
If I remember correctly, the fuel tank for the regular bed version is a 30 gallon tank, and a 38 gallon tank for the long bed. A couple of questions:

1. Do people who have the long bed find it manueverable? Parkable?

2. Are there after market fuel tanks that can be added safely - and without sacrificing I don't even know what.

3. Is this ultra low sulfur fuel readily available - like in truck stops?
We have a 2005 F250 PSD Crew cab, long beb, FX4 (4X4):

1. It is a long truck and although it takes some getting use to, it turns and manuevers well with the updated front suspension which was introduced in 2005. The long bed is the only way to get the larger 38 gallon fuel tank.

2. There are several aftermarket fuel tanks that are certified. These include tanks that replace original but larger as well a tanks that fit in the front of the bed and give additional capacity.

3. Ultra low sulfer diesel is available in most states, in California and many other states it is all you can get at any pump. Somewhere there is a thread on the subject.

The new 2008 trucks are already arriving here in California and in my humble opinion, other than the new dash layout, I prefer the 2007 model. As far as the new 6.4 diesel, time will tell. Take a hard look at the 2007, I will bet the deals will get real good on them when more of the 2008 models hit the lots.

John

Old 02-07-2007, 08:43 AM   #31
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
A 2008 XL F-450 caught the corner of my eye this morning at the local Ford dealer on my way to work. It is an attractive front end. I didn't have time to look it over, though. I think the lower headlights are going to be a benefit to oncoming drivers.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #32
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Rita, if you are still looking, here is a nice little number. If you wait awhile, it may drop into the lower 30s. I bought from this place and saved alot of money. Let someone else pay for that 1st year depreciation.

eBay Motors: Chevrolet : Silverado 2500 (item 180082855291 end time Feb-15-07 14:17:59 PST)
Old 02-07-2007, 11:20 AM   #33
_

. , .
post 26...

suggests

rita has purchased a truck.

2007 4x4 psd, xlt package.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #34
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Opps, that will teach me to only read the 1st and last pages of a thread
Old 03-25-2007, 05:44 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
I test drove two F250 diesels today.

The first was a 2006 with King Ranch interior and 33k miles. Dealer asking $40k. I liked it, though the interior didn't "flow" like the new one.

The second was a 2008 with Lariat interior. MSRP $49k.

Unfortunately (for my wallet), I liked many of the design features on the newer model. But I didn't make a final purchase decision. These are both expensive trucks.

Would anyone consider an '08 F150 as a TV? They are now supposed to be rated at >10,000 pounds. I like the diesels, but whoa -- the F250 is a whole lotta truck.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:48 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Sean,
I tow an '86 Sovereign 25' with a '01 2500hd, 8.1 litre gas engine and Allison 5 speed transmission. Your Classic is heavier so my answer to the '08 Ford F150 would be that you would not be happy with it.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:06 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
my answer to the '08 Ford F150 would be that you would not be happy with it.
In that case, diesel it is. I guess the question will be to buy used or new. I will probably pick up a used one just to sidestep the initial depreciation.

Last weekend we went to Florida, towing the Airstream with my brother-in-law's '08 F150. I thought it did okay -- averaged 9.3 MPG and seemed to have decent acceleration power. There were never any problems related to sway. That said, I have no frame of reference, as it's the only TV I've tried...and I'm sure an F250 diesel would handle the Classic with even greater ease. During my test drives yesterday, I was really impressed with diesel power once the turbos kick in!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:32 PM   #38
_

. , .
hi sean and welcome to the forums...

that 08 should be available at 44k$ depending on options like sunroof and navigation....

the 06 should be available at mid 30s...technically it is a 2 year old model...

obviously you need to negotiate and find a few others for comparison.

either would be great with your trailer...

while the 06 is a solid truck you won't have a complete warranty, if that matters...

however the engine/turbos and so on are 100k covered.

i've very satisfied with the 05 lariat psd and the 06 is virtually the same truck.

while the 150 is close on basic specs, folks here that have had both are happier with more beef, towing mirrors, tow command/brake controller and so on..

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #39
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Michael
That said, I have no frame of reference, as it's the only TV I've tried...
And that my friend, is the distinction. You should read the post of my experience.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...tml#post313803

Bill
Old 03-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
And that my friend, is the distinction. You should read the post of my experience.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...tml#post313803

Bill
Bill,
I remember that thread and your comments are right on the money. My trip from AZ. to TN. pulling a 31' length '77 Excella 500 empty with a '92 Z71 1/2 ton 4X4 with 350 V8 and 5 speed manual trans was a white knuckling experience. My eyes were glued to the rear view mirror in anticipation of truckers who passed me and sucked the Excella toward their lane. Yes, I was using a weight distribution hitch, Reese, with 1000 lb. bars. Steep hills were murder going up but rather pleasant going down. Glad I didn't have to make any emergency stops. While I made a couple short trips lightly loaded with that configuration, it only makes me wonder what it would have been like if I really loaded her up. I cringe at the thought. The vehicle in my signature cured all of these problems. I later purchased the 25' Sovereign and it has been a dream behind my TV.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:17 AM   #41
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Those of us that have had the (unfortunate) experience of towing 25' or more with a 1/2 ton vehicle and then moving to a 3/4 ton have the benefit of experience.
Hopefuly, some folks who read these boards can benefit from what we learned.
It is not safe, and it certainly is not enjoyable trying to tow a large camper with an inadequate vehicle. I like to hook up and go! I don't need to be stressed out and exhausted when I arrive because I was struggling with my tow combo. It is NOT about racing up/down hills. It IS about keeping your family, and others on the road, safe.
With a bit of research you can find several instances of folks who eneded up in a ditch trying to tow with the wrong vehicle.
As someone else said earlier; "buy your vehicle for towing, not for commuting". There is a lot of wisdom in this...
Old 04-07-2007, 01:17 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Bill won me over with his safety argument.

Today I bought a new 2007 Ford F250 6.0L Diesel. It's got Lariat trim, TorqShift tranny, TowCommand, and a few other bells & whistles. I wasn't planning on buying new, but Ford is offering some nice incentives on the '07 model (since the '08 trucks are now on the lot). This worked out great for me, since I really wanted an 07 -- I like buying models that have had all of their "teething issues" sorted out, rather than one early in a production run.

I am happy with the deal, and especially pleased to have a "whole lotta truck" that should handle our Airstream with ease. Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and experience. I am now officially ready to start Airstreaming!