Old 01-10-2007, 07:48 AM   #15
Craftsman

Here are a few things about F series pick-ups worth knowing:

1.during he last 25 years the F-series has been the only nameplate in the entire automotive industry to sell more than 800,000 units a year in the U.S.

2. in 1995 the F-series surpassed the Volswagen beetle as the best selling vehicle of all time.

3.In 1998 ford F-series trucks out sold their nearest competitor by 683 367 units for a total of 2,233,465 trucks world wide.

4. In December of 2006 Ford sold 70,580 pick-ups. that was down 14% from the following year.

5. Up until this year Ford f series was the best selling car or truck for the 17th consecutive year.Truck sales were down for all three U.S. truck and SUV manufactures in 2006.

I could go on but you get the point. The Ford F-series trucks historically have out sold both Dodge and GM . As for the desiel, I love mine and the leather seats too. Except for start up mine is pretty quiet.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:10 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Chevy 8.1

Hi, Rita, I know just what you are going through, as we just went through the same thing.

We have a 1999 28' Excella Classic. We have a 2005 Surburban 2500 8.1 3.73 and it is perfect for towing. It tows the AS effortlessly. That said, we just bought an 05 Avalanche 2500 8.1 3.73 because we want the bed of the Avalanche to carry a generator.

The 8.1 is not made in the 2007 Suburban or Avalanche, but we were able to find low milage used.

We are quite pleased with our 3/4 ton GM gas TV.

Pat

Old 01-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Rita,
I looked at Dodge and Ford. I did not consider GM. I just do not like the company. I chose the Ford. One reason. I liked the way the interior looked and felt. I was more comfortable in the Ford. I now have my second F-250. My first was gas, my second is Diesel. I love it! Go with the Ford.....

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #18
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
The Tow command works but you have finer control with the prodigy. You can set the Gain and boost on the prodigy. The tow command only has a gain.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:41 AM   #19
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
I did as he requested, and found out that I was looking for wrong vehicle. My need was not only for towing, but for short runs every day one mile from and to work and some local boat towing.
This scratched the Duramax Diesel off my list, and Duramax was what I wanted all along. Broken hearted I started looking at gas trucks. Diesels are work trucks and not all around transportation vehicles. Most of times, in my type of use the diesel would not get a chance to warm up. Diesels can run all day non stop but short runs are a different story.
I think the over 60% of Europeans who drive diesels would disagree. However, it is not good for any engine, gas or diesel, to drive such short distances that the manifolds and exhaust system do not get hot enough to burn off the condensation created by internal combustion.This is not particular to diesel engines, although diesels do warm up a little slower than gas engines. The common rail design used in Euro passenger cars is the same as we get in pick me up trucks here.
For anyone that has a short commute (as I do-only 5 miles!) it makes a lot more sense to ride the bike than to start up any engine. Save the truck for tow duty.

I am pro 3/4 ton, but not really pro gas or diesel (that is your choice).And you do need 3/4 ton for that camper.
Just wanted to clarify about driving short distances.

Bill
Old 01-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Here are a few things about F series pick-ups worth knowing:

1.during he last 25 years the F-series has been the only nameplate in the entire automotive industry to sell more than 800,000 units a year in the U.S.

2. in 1995 the F-series surpassed the Volswagen beetle as the best selling vehicle of all time.

3.In 1998 ford F-series trucks out sold their nearest competitor by 683 367 units for a total of 2,233,465 trucks world wide.

4. In December of 2006 Ford sold 70,580 pick-ups. that was down 14% from the following year.

5. Up until this year Ford f series was the best selling car or truck for the 17th consecutive year.Truck sales were down for all three U.S. truck and SUV manufactures in 2006.

I could go on but you get the point. The Ford F-series trucks historically have out sold both Dodge and GM . As for the desiel, I love mine and the leather seats too. Except for start up mine is pretty quiet.
Not trying to start a war hear , but statistics can be a little misleading . Ford uses the F-series nameplate all the way up to F-750 , not exactly a PU . GM uses Chevy and GMC , basically the same truck , but those numbers don't get combined in the stats . Dodge stopped making anything bigger than a 350 years ago . I wonder what the real numbers are , apples to apples .
Old 01-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
My two cents worth. Get the GM/Chevy Duramax. Hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. Pulls my AS on cruise at 65 mph with no shifting, and great mileage, compared to gasoline rigs. Interior comfort is great. As to being overkill for the rig your towing, having the tow package and heavy duty equipment means less work for the vehicle. Keeping the work load reasonably well under the specs of the TV makes since to me.
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #22
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
Not trying to start a war hear , but statistics can be a little misleading . Ford uses the F-series nameplate all the way up to F-750 , not exactly a PU . GM uses Chevy and GMC , basically the same truck , but those numbers don't get combined in the stats . Dodge stopped making anything bigger than a 350 years ago . I wonder what the real numbers are , apples to apples .
Automotive News (an Industry magazine) that shows all sales and production results for all manufacturers, would show GM coimbined results (Chevy+GMC) to be roughly equal to F series results annually. Results flip/flop year to year but are typically within 100k units of each other. Most folks don't consider this when quoting sales figures. It is correct to state that the "F series is the largest selling nameplate" because of the fact that GM division are listed under seperate "nameplates".

Bill
Old 01-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Rita,
Others will post in greater detail, you will get many Ford vs GM vs Dodge opinions. Ignore all of them and buy a GM. Just kidding. I do have a preference, but it is an individual choice you need to make after doing your research.
Dave
Rita - I told you you'd get the GM/Ford/Dodge thing.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #24
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernviews
would it be a good investment? I would like it to tow for many years.
hi rita

no modern common vehicle is a 'good investment'...

they all depreciate.

the diesels will generally last longer and especially as a tow rig...

up keep isn't more expensive. just different. no spark plugs, more oil and filters.

on the ford side it gets confusing. 2008 trucks (available soon) require ulsd. this is the new 6.4 liter.

we are all going to be on ulsd soon but not yet. going to mexico? who knows...get the 07 or 06.

very few 2007s were made. these use the same drivetrain as 2006 and 05.

for the most part these last 3 years of the 6.0 liter powerstroke have the bugs removed.

there are some GREAT deals on 06s and 07s...

i've very happy with my 05 psd...approaching 40k miles and 38k towing.

fuel price issues might keep some out of the diesels but i'm really glad i didn't get a gasser.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #25
Craftsman

I'll bet whatever you decide on, Ford , Chevy, GM or Dodge you'll be happy with the diesel. They are all nice trucks. It really comes down to personal preference. I traded in a 2001 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/ the 8.1L. It was great, loved the engine. Only got about 10mpg but it was a nice . The Suburban seems to have a slightly nicer interior than the Ford. I just needed a pick-up bed for work and all things considered for me it was the Ford PSD. Love thoses 20" wheels and tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	30658  
Old 01-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Thanks everyone for your input. I was won over to the diesel side---a 2007 Ford 4x4 diesel with the XLT sport package and tow command. Little sad I didn't get the Lariat, like the info panel it has, but the lower price, and pressure from the salesman, pushed me to the XLT. Glad to have the decision done with, so I can move on to learning about towing and things Airstream.

Rita
Old 01-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
The Tow command works but you have finer control with the prodigy. You can set the Gain and boost on the prodigy. The tow command only has a gain.
Actually, if I understand what you mean by boost, you do have boost with the tow command. There are two "lever" looking devices on the brake control adjustment/readout screen. One is fixed and the other slides. When you slide the movable one toward the fixed (squeeze them together), it temporarily increases the braking power to the trailer. IIRC, the tow command is manufactured for Ford by the makers of the Prodigy. One big advantage is that your tow command works off your master cylinder pressure and is more proportional to the pressure you apply to your truck brakes rather than an on/off signal or getting stronger the longer you apply the brakes.

Also, when your ABS activates, the signal to your trailer brake pulses. This is not true ABS on your trailer, but it simulates it and helps prevent the trailer brakes from locking up in an emergency braking situation.

And last but not least, welcome to the forums. Information here is free flowing and free for the asking. Now, you just need to get hooked up with the right Forum Rally Group to start meeting us.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
2008 F250/350/450

I just had my oil changed in our diesel 6.0L Excursion at our Ford dealership, and I was talking to a salesperson about the 2008's. He said they may be in as soon as several weeks/month! As an Excursion devotee, I was really disappointed when they stopped making them. It is a perfect family towing machine - seats for kids, DVD player etc., and with a standard 45 gallon fuel tank I can go a long way without refueling. But I have never been a "truck" guy. That may change.

Apparently, the new 6.4L diesel is supposed to be super quiet (of course Dodge really led the way in this regard). The 6.4L runs on the Ultra-Low-Sulfur diesel (only). The side mirrors extend out with a button (and retract in towards the vehicle). AND it has some real creature comforts/family accomodations with things like a DVD system. Anyway, looks VERY interesting.

If I remember correctly, the fuel tank for the regular bed version is a 30 gallon tank, and a 38 gallon tank for the long bed. A couple of questions:

1. Do people who have the long bed find it manueverable? Parkable?

2. Are there after market fuel tanks that can be added safely - and without sacrificing I don't even know what.

3. Is this ultra low sulfur fuel readily available - like in truck stops?

2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote