Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Hit a bump or bridge impact

Have not seen one yet that when you hit a pothole or bridge joint or speed bump the front wheel shakes slightly right left then settles down. At any speed our 19 does this. May be a defective steering shock.

It’s all over the net but dealerships play dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfeury View Post
my 2019 has no issues as of yet....
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
laguna beach , California
I have a 2018 F350 long bed crew cab 4x4, 3rd f350. When I purchase, the first thing I do is replace rims/tires, shocks and steering stabilizer shocks with bilstein 5100’s. Tends to fix vibration issues with front end.
sparkymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Seminole , Florida
I have a 2016 F250 with Michelins. I had Centramatics on it. I had all kind of wobble. and slight tire cupping on the front. They rebalanced the tires with no help. Took the Centramatics off> All problems went away.
GandW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
I’m experiencing this with our 19 at higher speeds in particular. The vehicle steering wheel vibrates, the mirrors shake but it doesn’t seem to be threatening, only frustrating for a brand new vehicle. I have an appointment with the dealership on Monday which will probably end in an “I can’t see the issue”.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #25
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Good luck finding root cause I can’t advise but if my scanning skills are working only one poster specified 4WD or 2WD.

Those are different suspensions.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clearlake , California
Years ago I had a vibration that drove me crazy. Eventually went to a tire shop that could true the tires, which is like a big lathe that slices off the tread to make the tire perfectly round. Problem solved.
napabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:46 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT66 View Post
Anyone with a late model Ford Diesel F250 notice a slight vibration in the steering wheel at highway speed? This is NOT the widely reported "death wobble" issue. My apologies if this issue has been addressed on another thread but I did do several searches and could only find the death wobble previously mentioned.

In July 2018 I purchased a new 2018 F250. Shortly after taking delivery and the first time I got on a highway, starting about 65 mph, I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel. So I took it in for service, 8 times so far -

Service History
  • Balanced the tires (Michelin LT 275/65 R20)
  • Replaced all 4 tires (original tires were out of round due to sitting on a lot in Phoenix over the summer)
  • Alignment
  • Replaced dampening arm
  • Another alignment
  • Another alignment (alignment machine was out of alignment during the previous alignment, dealer reported this to me asked me to come back in)
  • Replaced dampening arm
  • Replaced two more tires that were some how out of spec. This resolved most of the vibration but I still feel a very slight vibration when on glass smooth highway and lightly touch the wheel. You can feel it but not really see it.

Fortunately all this work was done under warranty.

Now I am not sure if what I feel is just normal diesel vibration, my imagination or if there is still an unresolved issue. Prior to this truck I had a 2013 diesel F250 and did not notice what I am sensing now. Although the tires on the 2013 ran at much lower pressure, 35 psi vs. 65-70 psi.

I am thinking about going to another dealer but there is only one in my town and the next closest is 50 miles away. So I am asking if anyone is having or has had a similar experience and if it was resolved and how?

Or if this is just normal for late model diesel F250s with Michelin LT 275/65 R20 tires and I should just get over it?

The issue you describe is the LANE KEEPER alarm. It is on the top row of the center dash; it is annoying, just turn it off and you will enjoy your truck

\
smmckean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:42 PM   #28

HARTFORD , WI
Same exact issue

Hey!
Oh my God I didn't think anyone has had what I have. 2018 f250 56000 miles. It started with a heavy wobble and they replaced everything you listed but at 70mph the harmonic wobble stayed. It's been in the shop since Nov and they've been replacing a new part every week but it's still there. Just today after they replaced the front axle knuckles they started to look at the lane departure system.
Have you got yours fixed yet?
Bloomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 06:28 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
2023 27' International
Osprey , Florida
Our 2022 F250 Diesel had a noticeable steering wheel vibration when we left the dealer lot in north Florida. At the time, I was thinking it was an out of balance tire / wheel.

The drive home was over hundred and fifty miles -- mostly at highway speed. By the time we got home the vibration had completely disappeared.

My guess is the truck sat on the dealer lot long enough to flatten the Michelin AT tires. Driving seemed to correct the problem.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:19 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyForth View Post
Our 2022 F250 Diesel had a noticeable steering wheel vibration when we left the dealer lot in north Florida. At the time, I was thinking it was an out of balance tire / wheel.

The drive home was over hundred and fifty miles -- mostly at highway speed. By the time we got home the vibration had completely disappeared.

My guess is the truck sat on the dealer lot long enough to flatten the Michelin AT tires. Driving seemed to correct the problem.

That can be part of it, for sure. I have 147K miles now on mine, and from time to time, I will get a "slight" vibration--not consistent--as described. It does to away after awhile...similar to one of the tires being out of balance, but it goes away. I asked Ford about the "death wobble" few times, and was told my F250 is fine, what I am experiencing is not the death wobble.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:06 PM   #31

2023 30' Flying Cloud
Sycamore , Illinois
I had very similar symptoms with my 2018 F-350. Then hit a pothole that made the truck move sideways about 3 ft and the steering wheel simultaneously shook uncontrollably. Up till that happened I had thought that the little vibrations that others have been describing were symptoms of other issues. But, bottom line, it was the Death Wobble caused by the steering stabilizer. Had that replaced under warranty and All of the vibrations that I had felt are gone and the truck drives like a totally different vehicle now.

My $.02 on this subject.
767Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:34 PM   #32

HARTFORD , WI
RT66.
I'd really appreciate if you could share with me what fixed your f250. My truck has been in the shop for over 5 months with the same harmonic shaking that comes and goes over 70mph. They've replaced the same parts as your truck but no luck. I escalated to Fords customer branch today.
If you could please share what they found wing on your truck I'd owe you a beer somewhere when we meet camping.
Bloomy is offline   Reply With Quote