Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Ford 2017 f250 4x4 experience.

Let me start off by saying it was a raining all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday in south Texas where I was hunting. Saturday morning pouring rain and I shoot a 7 point...no biggie. The guy I am with gets his 4wd golf cart to get my deer. Well we are leaving and it gets stuck bad in the mud. So we winch it out, and since it is a electric 4x4 cart he melted the battery post on one of the batteries. So we walk to get his tractor and I drive (Steer actually) the broken cart and he is pulling me and the cart. Pouring rain the whole time. The ruts we were making was crazy.

I decide for the evening hunt to go by myself, not really going to shoot but mainly to watch. I am sitting in the blind watching it rain, then let up then pour....and some piggys show up. Keep in mind this is a friends place and I am sitting in his personal tower blind. I decide to shoot one of the pigs. I line up my 7mm mag and Boom, he is (DRT) dead right there about 80-90 and yes a complete perfect head shot. (I have a video of it on instagram..it's awesome)...so not thinking before I shoot,,,it sets in how am I going to get the pig out of this area and it's getting dark soon. I have to get the dead pig away from feeder first of all because my friend plans on hunting there Sunday morning. I get to the pig and drag him about 80-90 yards back towards the blind, he probably weighs 100lb. It was very difficult but the slippery mud was a help and a hurt, I couldn't get good footing but the mud did help the pig slide a little easier. It was a biotch to say the least. Now I have to get the pig, no way I can drag the pig 1/4 of a mile. What am I gonna do,..as the rain is pouring...I know, I'm gonna take my new clean 2017 Superduty 4x4. So I walk back to where she is parked and say we can do this ( again, I am alone...I am not crazy my truck and I awe a we.) The whole time my mind is thinking how heavy that engine is knowing I am gonna get buried. So alone(see above) I crank her up (push button) and me and Megatron go into the rainy wilderness of mud and forestry....I know a little dramatic, but want to keep you guys interested.
First a little about the terrain....the first part of the road is a cut hey field,...so I I can get decent traction at that point. The pig and blind area is in a low area...so down hill from the hay area. The oak trees are near the trails leading down the grade to the bacon. As I slowly, in 4x4 high start this perilous part of the journey I look at the road and can see what looks like a river flowing down the ruts specifically there for a path in between the trees. Every time I hit the brakes because of the deep ruts and incline I slam into the front rut and boom get knocked in a different direction, but still manageable. I am fully aware that these ruts I am making are got going to be easier going back,....and on top of that i will be heading uphill. Finally making it to the pig I get out and drag him one more time up on top of a large raised hill on the side of the rutted road so my tailgate will be high enough so I can muscle her into the bed. Keep in mind, I did not want to field dress the pig near his feeder or blind out of respect even though piggy was a heavy SOB....again getting the pig loaded is a story for another day...:-blah

Now for the journey back. Before I begin I call my buddy who lives an hour away and talk to him about my options if I get stuck. His first comment is "leave the pig, don't go down there you won't make it" Well I tell him I am by his blind and he says "Your kidding!" I said no let's get back on task...what are my options? I know what you guys are thinking,. Just use the tractor, right? Well that's what I said....he said he locked the barn. Dang! Well I told him worse case I will sleep in the truck and I won't call him no matter what. He has small kids and let's say his wife would be pissed...that's again another story...:-blah

So pig in truck, I'm half way turned around, remember I had to drag that pig up on top of the hill next to the road (loose term used) to get him loaded in the bed. Believe it or not that tailgate step was VERY helpful to say the least.

Got my mind around this...1/4 tank of gas enough to get me till morning listening to radio, heater to stay warm, pig for a sushi snack if needed...kidding. So I crank her up (button) and look forward to my right, wrong direction for me but there is some grass, brush and a flat area to get a "running start" to my pathway to a hot shower and a warm bed. Here we (me, Megatron, piggy in back)...piggyback....lol sorry....as I aim for the grassy area the tires are already spinning slowly giving her diesel, weight from piggy in bed does not help,..damnit! I make it to the grassy spot and begin my turn towards the uphill muddy hell tracks......then boom I slide towards the rut track wall. And then it happened....I stopped!! In the mud! My front bumper is towards the raised side on my right, I cannnot go forward. So I back up, no go! Then I say this calls for 4x4 Low! Put her in neutral and flip the switch....while I am reading "in progress' dash screen...my brain is wondering what's taking so long,...I'm sinking in this quicksand as this process is happening.....not really but the stress is there. After the adjustment, I put Megatron in reverse and I move maybe 3 feet, then nothing,...so naturally forward again...then back and she shot out like a slow turtle crossing the road. The mud was flying in all directions like fireworks on the Fourth of July. I get my aim back for the uphill muddy river road and no stopping this time,...or so I thought. I am gassing her, or dieseling her up the ravine making good headway. I get to the part where the four wheeler earlier gets stuck and I have the pedal literally to the metal, actually carpet...but to the floor...I feel like I am in a muddy tractor pull literally. I am actually enjoying this moment and terrified at the same time. I am steering left but going right due to the ruts and the way this mind of its own road wants me to go. I am picturing me slamming into a tree once it bites, if it bites....I have to actually guess on when she will catch so I don't over steer and whap. Then the horror stories of aluminum repairs start popping in my head as I can't even see out of the front windshield from all of the mud and rain. Then it happened again, oh no! ...wheels spinning...have the pedal to the "carpet" she stops going up the incline. What to do? ......(pig sushi it is) but I have more faith in Megatron....I put her in reverse and want to take another run at the hill. So I floor it in reverse and again the turtle reference, and move about 6 feet down hill. This time I have to skirt a tree on the right to do this right. Here we go,....floor/carpet up hill.....bouncing, redlining, steering wheel almost breaking my wrist at one point,...well not really..but it was crazy....barley missing a tree and powering through the rut while redlining the whole time in 4x4 low. Finally made it to the cut hey field and I knew at that point I was home free. The feeling was like when I was young and made a homemade ramp to jump with my mongoose bicycle and the board didn't break and I actually made it with out a scratch. It was jubilation all over again.

So all in all this Megatron 4x4 is full of off road awesomeness.

Enjoy it when you can, can't wait to go back.......well once it dries up a bit...:-drink
Once home..

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Great hunting trip story! Glad you made it out ok...now, how much did it cost in quarters to wash all that mud off your new truck? The inside must have looked almost as bad as the outside. Been there done that only not near that nice of a 4x4. I know what those new Ford's cost...my wife would have shot me in the head like you did that pig! Get you a Polaris Ranger for these duties. Save that truck to haul the Airstream. Mix some deer with that pig...makes some great sausage.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:16 AM   #3
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Great hunting trip story! Glad you made it out ok...now, how much did it cost in quarters to wash all that mud off your new truck? The inside must have looked almost as bad as the outside. Been there done that only not near that nice of a 4x4. I know what those new Ford's cost...my wife would have shot me in the head like you did that pig! Get you a Polaris Ranger for these duties. Save that truck to haul the Airstream. Mix some deer with that pig...makes some great sausage.

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 12-05-2016, 06:29 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Blue Beacon in San Antonio.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Great story. Had a very similar experience in my new at the time 2015 Ram 2500. 4 low is a beast in this new trucks. I drove my stock truck out un-assisted from a spot that had previously eaten an F250 with lift and tires, but it was an older model.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Great story and all the time I'm hearing the guys from Car Talk, Tom and Ray telling this one and trying not to loose it.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
that's not dirty
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Let me start off by saying it was a raining all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday in south Texas where I was hunting. Saturday morning pouring rain and I shoot a 7 point...no biggie. The guy I am with gets his 4wd golf cart to get my deer. Well we are leaving and it gets stuck bad in the mud. So we winch it out, and since it is a electric 4x4 cart he melted the battery post on one of the batteries. So we walk to get his tractor and I drive (Steer actually) the broken cart and he is pulling me and the cart. Pouring rain the whole time. The ruts we were making was crazy.

I decide for the evening hunt to go by myself, not really going to shoot but mainly to watch. I am sitting in the blind watching it rain, then let up then pour....and some piggys show up. Keep in mind this is a friends place and I am sitting in his personal tower blind. I decide to shoot one of the pigs. I line up my 7mm mag and Boom, he is (DRT) dead right there about 80-90 and yes a complete perfect head shot. (I have a video of it on instagram..it's awesome)...so not thinking before I shoot,,,it sets in how am I going to get the pig out of this area and it's getting dark soon. I have to get the dead pig away from feeder first of all because my friend plans on hunting there Sunday morning. I get to the pig and drag him about 80-90 yards back towards the blind, he probably weighs 100lb. It was very difficult but the slippery mud was a help and a hurt, I couldn't get good footing but the mud did help the pig slide a little easier. It was a biotch to say the least. Now I have to get the pig, no way I can drag the pig 1/4 of a mile. What am I gonna do,..as the rain is pouring...I know, I'm gonna take my new clean 2017 Superduty 4x4. So I walk back to where she is parked and say we can do this ( again, I am alone...I am not crazy my truck and I awe a we.) The whole time my mind is thinking how heavy that engine is knowing I am gonna get buried. So alone(see above) I crank her up (push button) and me and Megatron go into the rainy wilderness of mud and forestry....I know a little dramatic, but want to keep you guys interested.
First a little about the terrain....the first part of the road is a cut hey field,...so I I can get decent traction at that point. The pig and blind area is in a low area...so down hill from the hay area. The oak trees are near the trails leading down the grade to the bacon. As I slowly, in 4x4 high start this perilous part of the journey I look at the road and can see what looks like a river flowing down the ruts specifically there for a path in between the trees. Every time I hit the brakes because of the deep ruts and incline I slam into the front rut and boom get knocked in a different direction, but still manageable. I am fully aware that these ruts I am making are got going to be easier going back,....and on top of that i will be heading uphill. Finally making it to the pig I get out and drag him one more time up on top of a large raised hill on the side of the rutted road so my tailgate will be high enough so I can muscle her into the bed. Keep in mind, I did not want to field dress the pig near his feeder or blind out of respect even though piggy was a heavy SOB....again getting the pig loaded is a story for another day...:-blah

Now for the journey back. Before I begin I call my buddy who lives an hour away and talk to him about my options if I get stuck. His first comment is "leave the pig, don't go down there you won't make it" Well I tell him I am by his blind and he says "Your kidding!" I said no let's get back on task...what are my options? I know what you guys are thinking,. Just use the tractor, right? Well that's what I said....he said he locked the barn. Dang! Well I told him worse case I will sleep in the truck and I won't call him no matter what. He has small kids and let's say his wife would be pissed...that's again another story...:-blah

So pig in truck, I'm half way turned around, remember I had to drag that pig up on top of the hill next to the road (loose term used) to get him loaded in the bed. Believe it or not that tailgate step was VERY helpful to say the least.

Got my mind around this...1/4 tank of gas enough to get me till morning listening to radio, heater to stay warm, pig for a sushi snack if needed...kidding. So I crank her up (button) and look forward to my right, wrong direction for me but there is some grass, brush and a flat area to get a "running start" to my pathway to a hot shower and a warm bed. Here we (me, Megatron, piggy in back)...piggyback....lol sorry....as I aim for the grassy area the tires are already spinning slowly giving her diesel, weight from piggy in bed does not help,..damnit! I make it to the grassy spot and begin my turn towards the uphill muddy hell tracks......then boom I slide towards the rut track wall. And then it happened....I stopped!! In the mud! My front bumper is towards the raised side on my right, I cannnot go forward. So I back up, no go! Then I say this calls for 4x4 Low! Put her in neutral and flip the switch....while I am reading "in progress' dash screen...my brain is wondering what's taking so long,...I'm sinking in this quicksand as this process is happening.....not really but the stress is there. After the adjustment, I put Megatron in reverse and I move maybe 3 feet, then nothing,...so naturally forward again...then back and she shot out like a slow turtle crossing the road. The mud was flying in all directions like fireworks on the Fourth of July. I get my aim back for the uphill muddy river road and no stopping this time,...or so I thought. I am gassing her, or dieseling her up the ravine making good headway. I get to the part where the four wheeler earlier gets stuck and I have the pedal literally to the metal, actually carpet...but to the floor...I feel like I am in a muddy tractor pull literally. I am actually enjoying this moment and terrified at the same time. I am steering left but going right due to the ruts and the way this mind of its own road wants me to go. I am picturing me slamming into a tree once it bites, if it bites....I have to actually guess on when she will catch so I don't over steer and whap. Then the horror stories of aluminum repairs start popping in my head as I can't even see out of the front windshield from all of the mud and rain. Then it happened again, oh no! ...wheels spinning...have the pedal to the "carpet" she stops going up the incline. What to do? ......(pig sushi it is) but I have more faith in Megatron....I put her in reverse and want to take another run at the hill. So I floor it in reverse and again the turtle reference, and move about 6 feet down hill. This time I have to skirt a tree on the right to do this right. Here we go,....floor/carpet up hill.....bouncing, redlining, steering wheel almost breaking my wrist at one point,...well not really..but it was crazy....barley missing a tree and powering through the rut while redlining the whole time in 4x4 low. Finally made it to the cut hey field and I knew at that point I was home free. The feeling was like when I was young and made a homemade ramp to jump with my mongoose bicycle and the board didn't break and I actually made it with out a scratch. It was jubilation all over again.

So all in all this Megatron 4x4 is full of off road awesomeness.

Enjoy it when you can, can't wait to go back.......well once it dries up a bit...:-drink
Once home..

Looks like you could use a set of Mudflaps.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Got "Mickey Thompsons" on those wheels?
guessing not!

Trailer Trash......"
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #10
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
that's not dirty
I did drive 40 miles to town in the rain, a lot washed off.

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 12-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Great story. Thanks for sharing. I am not being sarcastic when I suggest you might want to think about doing some magazine articles.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Must be good tires on you truck, they saved your bacon.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Looks like you could use a set of Mudflaps.
Rock Tamers for sure-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #14

2014 22' FB Sport
Tucson , Arizona
THats Hunting!!!!!!...sitting in a blind over a feeder waiting for a critter to stop by for
some chow?????? WOW. I guess it all depends on what you call hunting....
Old Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Different states, different rules.

Here in SC they even use dogs to hunt deer with, an old tradition.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Dealers always wonder why I bring a creeper and a flashlight when looking at a used 4x4...this is why.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
THats Hunting!!!!!!...sitting in a blind over a feeder waiting for a critter to stop by for

You come on down to the South Texas brush country. You'll be lost in fifty yards.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #18
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Great first post.
Welcome!

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 12-05-2016, 10:53 PM   #19
Classy Roscoe

Just another day in South Texas mud puddle. Fantastic tail! That pilot circle in the middle of the drivers seat will flaten out in spring.��
When you start hunting ferral hogs with a knife, then we will have to see about intervention. ��.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:

Would the story been better for you had he been out there with war paint on his body, a piece of loin cloth and a bow and arrow ?
He is telling us a story about a 2017 modern truck with all the latest gadgets one can think of. Besides he did do a bit of suffering sitting in the blind in the the cold rain and than having to drag the pig out of the mud and washing the mud of the truck.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote