Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Goffstown , New Hampshire
Smile Follow up on f150 and Safari 27' 2008

Well, pickup day came today. Pouring rain & windy. By the time we left the dealership it was dark. So, probably almost worst case conditions for the drive home (except for snow/ice).
Well, I'm very happy to report the tow was very nice. The dealer installed a Reese dual cam WD hitch (1200 lb tongue). He also installed a brake controller. Once it was dialed in the brakes were smooth, almost like the trailer didn't brake at all.
My f150 is an '09 with 3.55 gears, 5.4L 4x4. I used tow/haul mode all the way home (mostly highway). It worked great. Minimal loss of power (OK the trailer is empty, but I'm still very happy with the tow).
Then came the dreaded driveway backup. See:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ics-56632.html
Well, after about 5 minutes, she was up. The only damage is some minimal scraping on the surface of the driveway. I knew it was going to be close. Unfortunately it was closer than I thought. The scapes are about 1/4" deep and a foot long... I'll take care of them tomorrow.
So, I may need to unhitch the sway bars before backing up (the dealer said with the dual cam I didn't need to, as they won't be damaged), or get some type of drop hitch.
Any suggestions?
In any event, so far very happy with the f150 and towing, and extremely happy with the camper and the fact it's home and safe.
Thanks all.
Bob
Bobdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
I would really like to hear how you like it in 6 months. I currently tow with a 3/4 ton GMC and would really like to tow with a 1/2 ton Ford if it will do the job. My needs are modest..just be able to make the Alaska highway without difficulty.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Glad to hear that it's working out for you. Please keep us posted.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hello Bob,

Glad to hear that initial impressions on the TV are good. Keep us updated if you would. You may be able to minimize the tail drag by dropping the spring bars. If that doesn't work you could go to a dropped shank. We use one just to access our driveway since we have a steep approach from the curb. Our 25' just makes without any adjustment, but the 31' will drag unless we drop the front down a few inches.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Hey Kevin. By 'spring bars' do you mean 'sway bars'? I was thinking that maybe unhitching those just before backing up will do the trick.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdes View Post
Hey Kevin. By 'spring bars' do you mean 'sway bars'? I was thinking that maybe unhitching those just before backing up will do the trick.
Hey Bob,

Here's a diagram from the Reese Installation doc showning the parts by name. The spring bars are your weight distribution feature. If you lower the snap-up brackets and drop the spring bars the ride height will usually drop depending on the tongue weight and TV spring ratings. I drop mine when we need a bit more tail clearance on the trailer. I would remove them before backing rather than letting them hang in place to avoid any clearance problems.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reese Dual Cam.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	91576  

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 11-28-2009, 05:38 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Kevin, that makes sense.
Do you need to raise the hitch before dropping the bars? That's the procedure the dealer reviewed with me. Just checking if that is needed, as it does take some time to do (and I'll be in the street doing it).
Old 11-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdes View Post
Thanks Kevin, that makes sense.
Do you need to raise the hitch before dropping the bars? That's the procedure the dealer reviewed with me. Just checking if that is needed, as it does take some time to do (and I'll be in the street doing it).
Yes I raise the tongue using the jack to take some of the tension of the snap up assembly. You could do it without raising things but it's usually safer to raise things first. I understand about being in the road. I put on my flashers and take a few minutes to disconnect things. I'm fortunate that my road isn't very busy so I just get the occasional walker stopping to ask questions.

William C. Swinney

Old 11-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Sounds like a great start......

Hope those 1/4" scrapes are on the driveway.....
Old 11-29-2009, 05:50 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Yes, the scrapes are on the driveway... the trailer is fine. There's some 'skid plate' type things that seem made to take the hit if you bottom out.