Old 08-04-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
Arrow First time poster, seeks opinion......

Just starting my search for a trailer. I have a tow vehicle, that has been somewhat beefed up and modified. After looking thru some of the other posts here, I am aware that GVWR is very important in determining what the maximum size/weight trailer I should purchase. Lot's of $ spent over last few years to rebuild and mod this truck, so really dont want to trade it off. I have '82 Chevy, Reguler cab, 127" wheel base, 2 wheel drive, 3/4 ton, 6.2L "J" code diesel, SM465 Tranny(4 speed with low "creeper" gear), Dana 70 Dually rear end, with 3.73 and Detroit locker, coil overload shocks. Mechanicals, and brakes all rebuilt, and very healthy. The original GVWR is 8600 lbs. Truck currently weighs just under 5,500 lbs dry. The max I have towed before is in the 5,800 lb. range (U-haul car trailer with 1/2 ton pickup aboard), with no troubles. Opinions, as to what my maximum weight, length I might be comfortable with? Thanks in advance for your help. Tony

Yachtcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master
IMHO your vehicle is capable of towing any Airstream trailer made past, present, and most likely future also........................................

Just adding my 2 worth

John G
1975 31ft Sovereign International
........Rear Bath Double Bed Model
Tow Vehicle:1999 GMC Serria SLE Classic 1500 5.7Ltr
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:36 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
In my opinion, you should purchase a trailer that has a dry weight between 5000 and 6000 lbs maximum. The weekest link to your tow vehicle will be its engine, which is somewhat anemic for a diesel. On flat land you would be fine towing a heavier trailer, but on hilly terrain, it will be slow going. Generally speaking , maximum lengths at this weight are 30' or 31' Airstreams manufactured prior to the mid '80s and 25' or 27' Airstreams manufactured after that. I would also recommend both an equalizing hitch and anti-sway bars if you're considering towing the longer trailers with that wheelbase.

Welcome to the forum Tony.

"Its always something" - Gilda Radner
"Well then.....nevermind..............bitch" - Rosana Rosana Dana
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 01:17 PM   #4
Thumbs up Thanks both for your input.

I tend to agree. The engine leaves a bit to be desired. That gives me the nudge I needed to finally go get that turbo kit, or maybe propane injection. I'll do a little more research on that. Thanks again. Tony
Yachtcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:39 PM   #5
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin

i would say you can tow anything up to a 31 footer, above that, get your turbo.

you certainly have the chassis to haul any airstream.

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote