Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wethersfield , Connecticut
First Oil change before towing?

Hello everyone. So I have exhausted myself reading about if I really need to have 1st oil change done before I tow. I recently bought a new 2013 Silverado 2500HD with a 6.0 gas engine and have about 1,200 miles on it. I am planning on picking up the Airstream we bought on Monday and someone mentioned to me that I should have the engine oil changed before I tow. I called up the dealer and they said that it was not necessary and that there is not any break in oil used in the truck. I see some information on this forum and also on the web going both ways as far as if it is needed or not so I wanted to pose the question here and see if this is really needed in modern trucks.

i would be towing it about 350 miles home.

Thank you all.
Thomas_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Absolutely unneeded... change it at the recommended interval. That engine will be loafing pulling your trailer.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I always change oil after the first 1000. Might be old school, but just in case the block wasn't spanky clean after assembly, I want to be sure. Also there are a lot of micro metal particles created by the seating of the rings, etc. Most are caught by the filter, but some may be too small to be caught by it.

I'd change it whether towing or not....then use the oil life monitor from here on out.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Change it, you'll have peace of mind. It doesn't cost that much and then you'll never second guess yourself.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
X3

Another old schooler....first at 1500mi.

Our schedule... 6k intervals with Amsoil 5-30 Signature Series synthetic.
Go with a name brand "full" synthetic.

Bob
Old 02-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
If you're going to run synthetic, make sure to use a factory-approved one.

When I bought my Jetta TDI which runs synthetic from the factory, they told me to run 10K miles on the first and every change.

Our 1996 Powerstroke has 3k to 5k intervals on oil changes; that's what it's always gotten. It now has 185k miles, and has had one water pump, one power steering hose and a leaking fuel sensor ($30).

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What Bart said....With your Chevy, a Dexos spec oil 5w-30 is required. Look for the little green Dexos label. Mobil 1 5w-30 is the most common, and what I use.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I always change oil after the first 1000. Might be old school, but just in case the block wasn't spanky clean after assembly, I want to be sure. Also there are a lot of micro metal particles created by the seating of the rings, etc. Most are caught by the filter, but some may be too small to be caught by it.

I'd change it whether towing or not....then use the oil life monitor from here on out.
The oil filter element traps particles measured in the micron range. 25 microns is a thousandth of an inch, as is the typical clearance between moving parts in an engine.

An oil filter that meets ISO 4548-12 will filter out all particles over 15 microns, over 85% of particles smaller than 15 microns, and about 70% of particles smaller than 7 microns.

Your oil filter will trap any particles that could damage your engine, so chaniging the oil sooner than manufactuer's recommendations is a waste of money.

A simple oil analysis test that you can do at home, to see if your oil needs changing ahead of schedule, which I found in a back issue of Machinery Lubrication magazine, a trade magazine I subscribe to because of my job: Take a drop of oil, and place it on a small piece of glass. A microscope slide is good. Lay another piece of glass on top. Press the two pieces together in your hands, and rotate the two pieces of glass , one clockwaise, the other counterclockwise. Wash off the oil, and look at the glass closely. If you see circular scratches in the glass, then you've got particles big enough to justify an oil change. Many companies pay laboratories big bucks for them to do exactly the same oil analysis once a quarter.

Also, if your engine ever overheats, change the oil right away; excess heat causes some of the volatile compounds in the oil to turn to a type of varnish that can do long-term damage to moving parts if the oil isn't replaced right away.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hi Thomas,

Congrats on the new tow vehicle and Airstream. Manufacturing processes and oil technology has changed dramatically in recent years. The once "standard" of changing your pile the first 500 to 1,000 miles is not recommended as routine much anymore.

I would follow the dealer recommendation, and the owner's manual unless there is some compelling reason to trust the word of someone else.

Wishing you the best,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yes the oil filter will trap most junk in the oil but many times they go into bypass when the engine is cold or if the filter is full. Also all the unfiltered oil goes through the oil pump and can damage it. I think it is a good idea to change oil in any new engine before 1000 miles just to get the crap out of the oil from the break in process. Yes even new engines need to break in although the amount of junk from the break in process is less. I have taken engines apart that had eaten a bit of metal and it damaged the oil pump and some of it got to the crank bearings. Oil filters are not 100%. The manufacture does not have a financial interest in making your engine last as long as possible. If you are one of those people who can afford to buy a new truck every few years, it does not matter how you treat is. It will be the next guy's problem. There is all kinds of junk in a new engine.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I think it is a good idea to change oil in any new engine before 1000 miles just to get the crap out of the oil from the break in process.
Have you ever had a problem from NOT changing the oil after just 1000 miles? If so, I can understand your opinion.

I haven't had a problem like that, and as a mechanical engineer I deal with engines all the time, not just in my vehicles but also at various civil works projects I'm responsible for. Oil analysis always tells the tale. No particles showing up in the scratch test means that the filter is still working exactly as it should and there's no problem with junk in the oil, because all of the junk is still trapped in the filter where it's supposed to be.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

I am of the waste of $$ school.
The internal parts of your motor are likely to last 250,000+ miles regardless of the first oil change.
Most likely that will be 15+ years out, long after you have traded your truck.
Save your $$ for the many things that do wear out over the years like power windows, power steering pumps, suspension, ect.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, in the distant past I have seen issues. Albeit rarely. Mostly with sand cast Iron components.
Not as big an issue with Cast aluminum, due to lost foam casting practices.

The issue with the filter is this. During break-in of freshly machined surfaces there is a higher amount of shedding of metal particles. They are indeed mostly trapped by the filter...and I doubt there is enough to even come close to causing a bypass valve to open (except in very cold temps maybe). But as those sharp particles sit embedded in the filter material they vibrate or move around under oil pressure and flow, they can cut their way through the filter medium. This takes some time, but with many applications of the OLM, you may go 7500 - as much as 12,000 miles before the Change oil light comes on. That may be enough time for these particles to work their way through the filter medium.

That's why I like to get the bulk of the break-in particles out at about 1000 miles.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
The issue with the filter is this. During break-in of freshly machined surfaces there is a higher amount of shedding of metal particles. They are indeed mostly trapped by the filter...and I doubt there is enough to even come close to causing a bypass valve to open (except in very cold temps maybe). But as those sharp particles sit embedded in the filter material they vibrate or move around under oil pressure and flow, they can cut their way through the filter medium. This takes some time, but with many applications of the OLM, you may go 7500 - as much as 12,000 miles before the Change oil light comes on. That may be enough time for these particles to work their way through the filter medium.
Okay. Makes sense. Dumb question time… Why not just change the filter early and top off the oil to replace what was lost in the filter change? Accomplishes the same thing, cheaper and with less waste oil to discard.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You could....I think this is one of those, "if it makes you feel good, do it" issues. What are the odds that the innerds aren't clean with more modern casting methods and component cleaning methods???? Dunno. What I do know is, if you change your own oil, use a real clean drain pan for your first change. You will note "color swirls" in the drain pan. It look almost like you dropped some drops of paint in the oil and swished it around a bit. This is extremely small metal particles.....I mean extremely small. So small they stay in suspension for a long time. It is presumably (I never saw a reason to send in for analysis) all sorts of metals, since there are all kinds in the engine.
Does this hurt the engine? Dunno, but I prefer to get them out. This presence of metallic coloration shouldn't bother you....unless you see it later in the life of the engine, after break-in.
Again, personal preference????? I'm anal retentive about this stuff...all my engines get a change after a brief time, even my small yard engines.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Assuming you are picking up from Colonia AS, you should be ok with or w/o oil change. It's all flat roads between Wethersfield CT and Lakewood NJ and you will be about 1500 miles total before towing anyway. Change your oil before you set out for a full camping trip ( loaded travel trailer ) later in Spring or Summer. That was the advice I took from my GMC tech when I picked up my new Denali 2500 HD few months ago prior to hauling my 2006 30 Classic to Lakewood for brake line re-call. My other advice is to make sure that you drive the truck around more locally before Monday so as to further brake in the brakes and rear axle, make sure that your brake controller is compatible with your 25 Ft. 2013 Flying Cloud and take it easy passing through Cross Bronx Expressway section of I-95 in NY( numerous huge pot holes due to snow plough / road salt activities) As a matter of preference, I will suggest you jump on I-87 (Major Deegan) as soon as you cross GWB -to 287 N - to I-95N and I-91N. You don't need bent axles despite your free warranty repairs. Good luck, best wishes at walk through with the fantastic crew at Colonia and happy streaming.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
....depending on the placement of the oil filter. I would NOT want to be there if the oil filter is low enough in the engine where it'll begin to drain 5-6 quarts of oil while I'm trying to thread on/secure a replacement filter. VERY messy and the environmentalists would eat you alive! Then, too, there's the "issue" of draining the oil while it's still warm (rather than hot). Don't ask me why I know this....
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
....depending on the placement of the oil filter.....
The only vehicle I recall oil filter in the pan leak all over the place problem with was the....

Take out the filter & you got a 5" hole in the pan....woooosh it's empty.

Orig Vdub too, but not so much....

Bob
Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, break-in oil and poorly machined engine parts, compared to todays standards, required an early oil change. I would not do it with any modern engine. Just do the recommended services. Old cars had a break-in procedure, new cars are, turn the key, and go.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
I'm old school, but why all the speculation. For $25.00 you get your engine oil changed and be done with it. Now then I spent my whole career as a trouble shooter for one of the Big 3. I've seen literally millions of engines being built, and if you don't think s--t happens on the assy. line you are sadly mistaken. Odds are nothing is wrong and you'll never know, but then again it will only happen once before you become a believer... Spending $40,000 on a vehicle and not spend $30.00 for an early oil change just doesn't make sense. I know for a fact my Ford dealer gives the first oil change free. One I took advantage of when we bought of 2012 Flex.
Barry
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote