Old 03-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
finally - replacement Tow Vehicle

a few of you should be happy to read that I have finally found a replacement for my, somewhat undersized TV (Nissan Xterra), and should be traveling in a more safe manner soon! After a couple months of looking, traveling through three counties, encountering some true SCAMS and unethical sales reps, I found my truck: 2000 Yukon XL, 5.3 vortex, 2wheel drive, with 108K miles (one local owner) for just barely over $7000. Actually, I have 5 days to *reconsider* if I find something amiss, 2000 mile and 60 days warranty on major issues.... It has my barn style rear doors, bench second row seat but, not the leather. Though it has a sunroof. I'll be bringing Patti home tomorrow.
I had found a private seller with about the exact same vehicle last week - and although I knew the maintenance history and was confident of it's mechanical integrety, he just wasn't read to sell. The negotiations were going nowhere fast and I tired of all the BS. So, I went for this one, sold at a dealership.... fingers are crossed.
Thanks so much for all of you who spent the time offering me support, encouragement and the much needed technical advice. I really do appreciate it all.

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Congrats! Sounds like a good find. You could always have leather installed after the fact if you want - or you might be able to find intact leather seats in a junkyard.

mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada

I dropped Patti off at the GMC dealer and they completed a thorough inspection. Said it is a clean truck!!!! New water pump, serpentine belt, front brakes and oil/trans fluids. No body work or evidence of wreck, no recalls, 40% material on rear brakes, good tires (though not their brand of choice).

Next week I'll have the head/tail lamp covers buffed to remove the clouding - like the outside of the plastic is etched from sun exposure??? And they'll also repaint the glovebox cover.

Making arrangements to get a new brake controller. Have the Tekonsha Voyager in the Xterra. Not overly happy with it so I plan to get the Prodigy.

Now I'll look for seat covers. I really don't like the velour cloth. Thiking about these Cabela's -- Coverking Spacer Mesh Seat Covers Though I'd like some with separate headrest covers.

Though I'll have to give some thought about the leather .... don't know if I want the expense of upholstery or the project of replacement.

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
I sure hope it doesn't need new axles!! JOKE--- it sounds like you found a good one. jim
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote