Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2006, 11:27 AM   #21
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Carol, A great looking combination. The new Suburbans are really nice looking and I love the towing mirrors and back-up camera. In my 2001 Suburban the Prodigy was a direct plug-in and I mounted it just under the edge of the dash to the right of the steering wheel. Easy to adjust and easy to see. Now you won't be trading that in in the next six months for something larger, will you? Sorry, just kidding. :-)
Oh yeah-same here. I have had 3 GM trucks since 2001-all have been using the same Prodigy unit. Plug and (pray) play-no problems at all. Installed all of them near my right knee. Out of the way, yet easy to access if needed quickly. The Prodigy also get high praise from me-highly recommended.
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:57 AM   #22
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
More technical details- -continued from my post #9:

The 6.0L engine is standard on the ¾ ton model. I chose the 2WD model with a 3.73 rear-end ratio. Unfortunately the “Active Fuel Management” system, which deactivates four of the eight cylinders, is not available on the 6.0L engine. That would be nice to have, but would it work well in Tow Mode?

With a 39-gallon tank, you can figure out how much it will cost to fill up. However, I never paid more than $75, because most gas stations pumps are programmed to limit credit card sales to $75. I recall 30 years ago (prior to the Y2K problem) when the gas pumps couldn’t be set above 99 cents per gallon. How long will it be before they have to add another place holder following $ 9.99 9/10 per gallon?

My mpg was under ideal almost flat interstate roads conditions. Who know what the head wind or tail winds were? Or the altitude, atmosphere pressure or temperature, or driving on mountain roads. Or what it will be after 10K miles with synthetic oil.

I’m still thinking of a neater or more elegant way to remount my Prodigy brake controller. It works fine where it is now, but perhaps there is a non-obtrusive fixture or fasteners that would enable me to mount it horizontally on the dashboard or in the console such that it will accommodate easy plug-in and removal of the unit.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:54 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Carol: John HD and I met for the first time about 2 weeks ago in Madison. Nice to meet a forum member in person. I borrowed the name from the musical group called Hooked on Classics.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Westfalia I bet it will take me much longer than you to back up but it just has to be better than in and out in and out, since I hitch up alone often times. I am glad to hear it really is a benefit and not just a bit of gadgetry to entice.
LOL, I still I go pretty slow; don't want to damage the Precious.

Just for giggles, here is a video of the rearview camera in action on my car. I'm sure the 'Burb hookup will be much the same!!

http://avalonsystems.net/touareg/BackupCam.mp4

Again, congrats. The new Chevy/GMC interiors and exteriors look very nice!
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:12 PM   #25
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Congratulations Carol!!

What a sweet tow vehicle--that camera is to die for!! So glad it came together for your vacation!
Can't beat all the great advice here about tvs, engines, etc...
We noticed a huge improvement when we went from a 1/2 to a 3/4 especially in the mountains!

Can't wait to see photos/read about your journeys here on the forum!

Best wishes!
Old 08-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #26
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Close to home

Today, I attended our informal Thursday lunch with about 10 of our unit. One couple just rolled in from Salem. He had been boasting for a long time how well his "Hemi" Dodge 1/2 ton pulled his 90s 31-foot Excella.

Well, on this trip, they had a load of truck problems including a blown computer. Along the way, they discovered that their 1/2 ton rear axle is very much overloaded with that trailer on.

As soon as they get over the fuel cost of the Salem, they will be out shopping for a 3/4 ton diesel.

Their cost for 6000 miles with the 1/2 ton gasser was equal to what another friend paid for 8000 miles of towing a heavier Airstream with his Dodge diesel.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:29 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Link

Yes I agree on the suburban / AS combination for towing the suburban is very comfortable, we opted for the 8.1 liter with autoride and 3.73 rear end. tow mpg is consistant 11 mpg. ,but non tow is only 13-14 mpg. We pretty much just use for towing. Can't wait to hear your tow mpg. Darrell
Darrell Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
What a lot of gizmos to play with and learn! This is our first exposure to XM radio, it seems pretty neat. I like the weather feature too, though we didn't see many cities and we wondered if that changes when you are in different areas. I guess we might as well try all the OnStar goodies. I haven't even begun to look the papers over yet. After I do I will make that initial contact. We need new cell phones and were thinking of going with Verizon, the saleman said we can add the car onto our family plan and share the minutes. So you push a button and speak your number and it's all hands free, when a call comes in the radio mutes automatically. Gosh. I spent much of today identifying symbols on buttons all over everywhere. Tomorrow I will climb in and start pushing the seats around.

It drives like a dream, where I am used to bouncing it glided over unevenness like a hovercraft. Nicely insulated from outside noise and the sound system sounds lovely.(oh that was classical--tomorrow we'll crank it up when Mr. Wheel Interested is at work.)

The mirrors are huge! I think I can see for miles(behind me!) I was mesmerized by the full view. It was like a giant vertical wide screen. They do stick out though, hope I don't shear them off somewhere. They fold, of course.

John sorry to hear of your friend's Hemi troubles but it looks as if he will be enjoying many benefits of his upgrade. I hear you about diesel economy and power (right?) I don't know why my hubby stays clear of it. I have read they are much quieter now. I do know that when we view and shoot pictures out the window often times an oncoming diesel will spook the wildlife though.

Leo, Thanks I'll take the good luck. Now you know it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind.

Steph, I love the camera and it also doubles with navigation so we won't have to chase the Garmin across the dashboard anymore. The mountains are where we long to go, glad to hear the switch makes so much difference.

Westfalia, I love the video! Did you speed that up? I love the end frame. You make it look so easy and I do believe you'd win the time trials!

Rich you and John watch out, I just read Milwaukee is America's drunkest city. I guess Madison is renown for restaurants per capita. Wisconsin also has good roads and great camping. You two enjoy, just not too much!

JStanley, my husband wondered too how useful that deactivation might be while towing. He wondered if hills would affect it adversely not sensing the load downhill then having to head back up. Wish the 6 had it though. I came across stations en route to oregon where the limit was $50.00 I had never come across that before and told the clerk she was out of gas. And what's up with not being allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon? The kid smeared the bugs around on my windshield and then left the tank 1/3 empty!
What will synthetic oil do or why did you choose it?Our Prodigy is hooked up but not attached now. Could you self stick velcro yours?

Bill I just got the Prodigy on the trip home from Oregon and so far I think it's terrific, easy and coupled with the disk brakes on the AS it has really shortened my stopping distance and quickly. I did turn the boost off, that 12% braking to start had me chugging as I came to a stop on the off ramps and in the city, but with it being so easy to adjust I will drive the faster highways with it on boost 1. Is that what any of you do?

Craftsman have your new Airstream yet? No I don't think we'll trade soon, I think we are pretty well set on equipment now.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:45 AM   #29
Craftsman

Carol, Our build date is the middle of September with delivery the first of October. I recently bought a new Ford F350 crew cab, trading in the 2001 Suburban 2500 4x4 with the 8.1 L engine. I love the new Ford but there were things about the Suburban that I really liked too. I think that I would have bought another Suburban if they had offered the diesel and duramax combination.The Ford is probably better for me as the I need the bed for work and the inside back of my Suburban was getting a little rough from loading tools. Really looking forward to the new Airstream.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:39 AM   #30
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Hi Carol, yes I set the Prodigy on boost level I.Just mount it near your right knee-you'll forget all about it in a week.
We love XM radio also. I am not fond of paying for a lot of services (we never paid for On-Star, never even used it durring hte free period!) but I am a big blues fan, and you can't get that on the radio in New England, so we do pay for the XM radio. My son enjoys XM kids also. This is one service we use and don't mind paying for. As far as On-Star, to be honest, we have cell phones, AAA auto service, and I am always well prepared with tools, etc so I just don't have the need.
Love the new tow mirrors also-big improvement.

On synthetics; I run Mobil1 in all my vehicles after break-in. You should also change your tranny over at the first fluid change ( one towing season, or ~25k miles, which ever is first). The added protection, extended service intervals will pay for themselves. Boiled tranny fluid is the best way to ruin a tranny. Synthetics stand up to heat better than dino oil. When we got our first Suby with the DIC i grilled the service tech, and GM tech hot line about whether or not the computer can differentiate between syn or dino and I was told "yes-the computer is very sophisticated, samples the oil for viscosity and cleanliness. Follow the computer for oil change intervals wheter using syn or dino". I get about 7k-8k miles from the DIC durring tow season using Mobil 1. I don't know about dino oil because I switched out right away.Can't say if there are any long term benefits, or fuel savings but I feel better running syn fluids. My 97 GMC has 130k miles and runs as well as the day I drove it out of the show room (love that small block 350-it my opinion, much torquier than the 5.3l).
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks for the maintainence info Leo and Bill. I know Bradley will try to put some good miles on it before vacation then he already told the dealer he is skipping the free oil change, told him that it is his time to bond with the vehicle and see just what is up underneath (strange pairing of words ). I will be directing him to your comments this evening. I appreciate all related information. This forum and its members rock!

Jack your new set-up will be just in time to catch some color for fall, such a beautiful time of year, my favorite. I wonder how I will like my first Chevy. Heck I like almost everything with wheels.

XM will be neat, I like being able to pick a genre and often reception on the radio is poor and selection sparce. We'll try the OnStar just because we get it free for a year, I think on Bradleys last truck he never even initialized it.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:55 PM   #32
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
carol

possibly the best thing you can do for your new truck is to change the rear differential oil at 500 miles.

the 14 bolt rear end in these trucks is virtually bullet proof with almost no maintinance.

if you replace the rear differential oil at 500 miles you will most likely never have problems with it.

it comes from the factory with synthetic oil, replace with the same.

john
Old 08-25-2006, 07:22 PM   #33
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
John hd: Interesting recommendation.

I don’t doubt your knowledge and experience but inquiring minds might want to know why it is that: “the best thing to you can do for your new truck is to change the rear differential oil at 500 miles.” ???
If you also say: “the 14 bolt rear end in these trucks is virtually bullet proof with almost no maintinance.”
Is it also true or high probability that if you do not change the oil: “you will most likely never have problems with it.”
It that 500 mile fluid change practice recommended for all truck (& SUV) rear end-gear ratios? Or just for that 4.10 ratio?

The Owner’s Manual for the new ‘07 2500 Suburban does not mention changing the Rear Axle fluid (p.488). However it does say to change the transmission fluid and filter after 50,000 miles (severe service) and 100,000 miles after normal service.

We know that in general automotive materials, fluids and technologies have changed over the years. For new owners of expensive ’07 Suburbans this might be an important maintenance issue down the road. Therefore to be safe and not sorry, I would like to validate that recommendation. I can verify the “official” routine maintenance schedule with my Chevy Dealer’s master mechanic, but official verification is not the same as empirically valid life-cycle data.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:51 PM   #34
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi JStanley--The reason john hd recommends changing your rear end fluid after 500 miles is to flush out any chips or burs that may be in the rear end, from gears. This is a good safety precaution>--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:22 AM   #35
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S
Hi JStanley--The reason john hd recommends changing your rear end fluid after 500 miles is to flush out any chips or burs that may be in the rear end, from gears. This is a good safety precaution>--Frank S
jstanley,

frank has it exactly right. i have the same drivetrain carol has in my '00 silverado. my owner's manual suggests this in the towing section. the service manager at my dealer said "you never have to change it because it is synthetic" he changed his tune when i showed him the manual.

anyway, when i did my first oil change the differential oil was pretty much black. i change it about every 18 months now and it looks just like it did when it comes out of the bottle.

john