Old 04-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

I've always been happy with the 14-15 mpg my 1996 F250 diesel achieves towing my 27-foot International. This was significantly better mileage than available gasoline vehicles when I bought it in 1996, and it used then-cheaper diesel fuel.

From this thread, I see there are several gasoline vehicles achieving or exceeding this towing mileage, with fuel now cheaper than diesel.

I believe my next tow vehicle will be fueled with gasoline.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
After 3 major 3" + hail storms,, 250,000 miles I retired my 98 Dodge Cummins for full time farm use only..( its beat all to heck) Getting old and punching a clutch in town is not fun anymore so trying out a 6 speed auto this time behind the 390hp gasser 5.7L hemi..

Its the bare trim 4x4 Tradesman package and since its main sales are for a work truck its loaded up with everything HD,, with a class 4 hitch and the 10,400lb trailer tow package.. It's 350 lbs shy of the payload of the 3/4 ton and so far its impressed me doing farm work.. The thing that pushed me to try it,, out the door price new was under $28,000.. Not the $32 to $45 of all the other Pu's I looked at with the same payload and tow values.

My 94 Cummins got 25 mpg,, my 98 Cummins got 19.6 and so far this gasser is always bumping 20mpg empty. Have several friends with the new Cummins and they are pissed.. EPA stuff broken all the time and very poor fuel mileage.. (13 to 16 )... We all know if the EPA would just back off to the Teir 2 level,, we could get back into that mid 20s again..

Only had our Overlander pinned up for a few trips with my 2012 and the one day we pushed a 50mph head wind for 300 miles.. MPG was 11.5mpg.. A few weeks ago we took it out for a spring shake down outing at our area lake and got 14.5 mpg all watered up and loaded..

My son has a 2011 hemi and he keeps telling me to wait as once it gets over 12,000 miles the performance will shock me.. Only have 6000 miles on mine so far so we will see..

Sodbust NW Kansas

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #73
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
Ha! I knew you were a Dodge guy.

And I agree that on trailers this size that the latest gassers make more sense than any diesel. Get north of 10k very much and that'd be different. But very few A/S are that heavy.

I'll bet that new truck rides nicely while towing. Mine could use some hep so I'm still investigating what route to go.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Bethesda , Maryland
So - I just need to shout it out one more time.....

DIESEL, DIESEL, DIESEL, DIESEL....

Gotta love that compression engine!!!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #75
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
So - I just need to shout it out one more time.....

DIESEL, DIESEL, DIESEL, DIESEL....

Gotta love that compression engine!!!
DODGE is talking up both V8 and V6 Cummins engines by late 2013.

A turbodiesel makes the most sense for a TV, but the package it's wrapped in is even more important.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #76

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
DODGE is talking up both V8 and V6 Cummins engines by late 2013.

A turbodiesel makes the most sense for a TV, but the package it's wrapped in is even more important.

Well, by the time I'm thinking about another truck, they would have those engines on the market 3 yrs or so, and Ford's Ecoboost will have been out for nearly 5. That should be enough service to have an idea about longevity.

I'm not sure I see the need for both the V6 and V8 Cummins, but of course numbers sell... "I've got more cylinders/displacement/hp/torque than you!" is more important to some buyers than "I've got plenty of hp and torque for my needs."

At 420 lb-ft, with a 6-speed (or more) transmission, I think that V6 Cummins sounds very interesting.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #77
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Willis , Texas
I love my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Liter Cummins diesel engine.

This truck gets a whopping 30mpg unloaded and it cruises with the 34' Airstream at about 18~19 mpg. It's all about the driving.

We searched high and low for a very good 2006 since the 6.7 liter engines suck big time (especially fuel, but they also just suck). This truck had about 75K miles on the clock but it had been a daily commuter of a guy who drove 60 miles each way to work (mostly highway miles) so the engine got broken in for good fuel economy. We got lucky. Most don't get this kind of mileage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30.3mpg.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	155080  

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #78
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
Secguru, you do know that the overhead readout is popularly known as the Lie-O-Meter among Dodge owners? It does not actually measure fuel flow, but runs from a calculation. It is off by a percentage based on a number of factors. Tuners and tire size changes throw it off significantly. Mine tends to be "off" by about .75/gl at my usual travel speed of 58-mph on an all stock truck. The OH will be "off" by a different percentage at higher or lower speeds for any vehicle. I find it a very useful tool for gauging the effects of winds, terrain, etc, as -- while not strictly accurate -- they are otherwise highly consistent so long as I understand that the number shown is not the actual mpg.

The compilation of a fuel consumption record showing all miles and all gallons leaves no room for doubt on mpg numbers. The annual average mpg is the single important number to know as all other fuel mpg claims are as a percentage difference from the average. Numerical claims are easily manipulated or even misunderstood . . fairly well worthless. I can cite my numbers as such, but knowing that the towing mpg is approximately as high as 70% of solo for conditions otherwise similar is a more accurate way of using these numbers for the purpose of gauging reliable, economical operation.

In my signature below I use the current (fuel price) numbers against known mpg figures to show the actual cost per mile in a conservative rendering: 15/cents-per-mile fuel cost, solo; and 25/cents-per-mile while towing. It is a quite handy way of trip planning for journeys where high altitude and long grades are not expected. Those trips would be a sub-set of a sub-set (where the annual average is first, and towing broken out from there, to, finally, the altitude/grade set).

The range expected for towing with most vehicles is 60-70% of solo given a 60-mph speed (going back about 40-years) given otherwise good mechanical condition.

I bring all this up as there are right at one dozen other owners of Dodge CTD's and aero aluminum trailers of from 28' - 34' (7k - 11k) seeing 13-16 mpg. This would be 3rd Generation CTD's (2003-2007) pulling at about no higher than 63-mph overall; really, at below that speed.

Your numbers are, even for those of us with a particular interest in fuel economy (among them Cummins engineers, commercial operators and others with professional interests) are higher than reported for steady state highway mpg, towing or solo. While at least one man sees 30-mpg, it is under different conditions. I will not say it impossible, but being sure all details are consistent with best practice (and in comparison to others with deep, accurate records) not to mention truck specification, climate, terrain and actual use tends to bring higher-than-average numbers closer to the mean experienced by others.

No Ford, and only the early 2000's GM LB7-powered trucks come close to a Cummins Turbodiesel on fuel economy (or longevity). And among them it is the ones that are 2WD with manual transmission that have the highest numbers. I spec'd my truck with lowest fuel burn as a priority and am always interested in the experiences of others, so forgive my "challenge" as I find it to be outside of what extensive reading elsewhere shows. There will be others interested in why that truck is so high if the above can be answered . . your help in that would be appreciated by others would be the point to all this.

The first question asked is, "Well, does that fella keep a fuel log?" I run mine over on ECOMODDER (shown here covering the past 37k miles). There are other online logs (FUELLY, for example) and there are smartphone apps, etc. As said, if that truck is doing that then there are those of us who are highly interested as to why.

Thanks for your consideration.

Finally, there are 2nd Gen CTD's getting very high numbers, but I have not looked closely into those. They would have the highest potential, though.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #79
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Willis , Texas
You're right. It's not accurate. I looked up the trip records. On this particular trip we filled the tank before zeroing the trip odometer and filled it again at the end. Total trip mileage = 1928.2 miles. Total fuel = 64.6 gallons. You do the math. I get 29.84mpg.

Sorry for the brag.

We average about 27.5~28.5 for most trips unloaded. How do we do that?
- Hard cap on the bed (helps a lot)
- Constant speed 60-62mph
- No fast starts or stops, very light foot
- Slow down in construction zones
- Always drive 1-2mph slower than traffic if traffic is less than 60mph
- Few stops as possible (typically every 200 miles)
- Michelin highway low rolling resistance radial tires
- We take very good care of the "Tomato" (our pet name for the Dodge Ram)
- Bought a truck that was already broken in almost exclusively with highway miles

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #80
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
None of that is surprising (actions), it's just higher than others who do the same things (and more). Does the truck have (or evidence of) any kind of "tuner"? Has the timing been advanced? Is it auto or manual? 4WD or 2WD?. I'm aware of one other guy who gets similar to that with a 2005, and it looks as if it all came together on his truck as kind of a fluke. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
On this particular trip we filled the tank before zeroing the trip odometer and filled it again at the end. Total trip mileage = 1928.2 miles. Total fuel = 64.6 gallons. You do the math. I get 29.84mpg./QUOTE]

Do you have an auxiliary tank in the bed of the truck? According to our knowledge (2 Dodges currently owned) the fuel capacity is just about 36 Gallons.
The MPG in a 3rd Gen truck sounds familiar. Driving empty we get about 27 to 30. Of course going avg of 60MPH and considering that we had the Banks Cold air Intake and the Banks EconoMind tunner in the 3rd Generation truck (07 Ram 3500, Auto, dually, 4x2).
The old 94 2500 is even better considering the fact that runs on WVO!
So guess what truck we used to most...?
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #82
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
I think he meant total gallons over a particular trip.

And, more great numbers!! (Towing?)

Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Crawford , Colorado
We've had lie-o-meters in Toyotas too. They typically read 5-10% too high. I wonder if one has ever been made that is lower than reality. We check mileage the old fashioned way—miles divided by gallons. The odometer also reads about 1.5-2% too high, but I don't factor that in when checking mileage.

And, they aren't Dodges anymore it appears. Maybe the cars are Dodges, if they still make cars. All I see advertised are Ram trucks. The Viper is back, but not as a Dodge, just a Viper. It looks really cool though may not be good for towing.

Gene
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
My KW semi,, loaded legal at just under 85,000 lbs has seen 10 mpg more than once with a 11L Detroit... Factor its frontal area,, weight,, and square back end of my grain trailer our "little" Airstream trucks should see 50 mpg or better..

I do know from the wide range of engines I have been around in my life,, the slower the piston speed the longer that energy is held back to make power.. I have a few slow speed diesel Listers that turn only 650 rpms.. Belted up to generators they run the same Kw.hr load on 1/2 the fuel of any gas or 3600 rpm diesel at the same output.. 0.278 grams fuel/ hp/ hr All the newer turbos diesels cant seem to get near the 0.475 grams fuel/hp/hr..

So,, why is the trend line going smaller engines,, and turning the rpms up? It all boils down to the amount of air in,, fuel,, and waste heat out the tail pipe.. Why not a 2 cyl,, 4L 10" stroke engine that the crank turns about the wheel speed around 500 to 600 rpms?

Chew on this data awhile,, I sure do..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel economy, mileage, towing