Old 04-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
anyone have experience towing with a Mazda B4000 or Toyota Tacoma? I saw these rated for 5000 lbs .
Also what about Jeep Cherokee?

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Camarillo , California
I'm getting 13 to 15 with 2 kayaks and 2 bicycles in the bed. Going no faster than 63 or 64 mph. Thats calculating the manual "fill the tank to the same spot" method although my computer calculated mpg is pretty dam close.

2007 AS 23ft SE, Front lounge
2011 F250 CC 4wd Diesel
lkpills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:52 AM   #59
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
We have set up plenty of B4000 / Rangers and Tacoma's. With the right axle ratio's and tire sizes they perform very well but fuel economy on the highway or towing is not dramatically better than the more fuel effiecient full size trucks such as the 4.8 Litre GM's. I would guess that a new Ford with the 3.7 Litre motor would give about the same mileage as a the smaller trucks just becasue the drivetrain is so much more effiecient.

The Jeep Cherokee is a really nice vehicle but at the moment I would likely go with a Traverse or an Edge/Flex for the 6 speed transmission until the Jeep gets the 8 speed.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #60
Refurbished 89 Excella

Sugar Valley , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
I calculated my cost of fuel at 3.70 a gallon, using my V10 Ford. Then I caclulated for a vehicle that gets 17 mpg in town, and one that gets 30. Of course the 30mpg one will not be used to tow. I save about $1000 a year going to a 30mpg. SO; I am gonna buy an old Miata to drive to work, keep the truck for trailer towing and use it only when needed. Seems like a plan.
Alan........Our 250 V-10 is an 03 with 43K on it used pretty much as you describe above since new.........For the everyday vehicle it's either the Pilot at 22 MPG or a 75 R90 BMW that gets 48 mpg. lololol.....doesnt matter which to wear out as they are all paid for, primo, and well maintained...........At any rate for me, to park the truck and use something else has always paid off well.............God bless.....Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I see a lot of people use a truck to tow and otherwise park it. I like to drive the truck—the interior is large, it's much easier to get into or out of for me because of a back injury, and I can see better on the road. Gas mileage sucks, but when I compute it per year vs. other vehicles, it is not that much different that I want to struggle to get in and out of a small car.

Our 4Runner seems small by comparison, and we talk endlessly about what we would replace it with. It would have to be easy to enter and exit, be bullet proof so far as reliability and get good gas mileage. It, of course, would not be for towing. We keep thinking about the Subaru Forester—somewhat better gas mileage, though not strikingly so. Cargo space is somewhat less though, but very good reliability. But the 4Runner is holding up well, so we may just drive it until it turns to dust.

We used to keep vehicles 9 or 10 years, but have been closer to 5 or 6 years recently. It's at about 6+ years that vehicles start looking old in our experience and their value starts to drop fast, so it has seemed a good idea to sell them—this may be a rationalization because we both like to buy a new car or truck.

As for a new tow vehicle, that's years away (unless we go crazy), but the Ford 6 that claims significant gas mileage improvement is intriguing and we will see how that works out as people get experience with it. The Tundra is due for a significant update and we will see what that would be. I'd like to see Toyota produce the quality they used to, significantly increase gas mileage and gas tank capacity and make a 3/4 ton.

Though we would like a hybrid, most are small cars and that doesn't work for me. The Toyota Highlander is just a station wagon (they claim it's an SUV) with very high prices for the hybrid and not particularly good gas mileage.

Gene
Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
I'm contemplating purchasing a friend's 1996 Roadmaster wagon to tow with...
Old 04-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #63

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
I'm contemplating purchasing a friend's 1996 Roadmaster wagon to tow with...
With good new shocks, the Roadmaster should have no trouble towing the GT, but you may find that old Roadmasters shed interior plastic like a cat sheds fur. It's probably not as bad in cool northern CA as it is down here in hot country, though. Old GM plastic that's been in the Texas heat for most of its life is crappy stuff, and there's a LOT of plastic in a '96 Roadmaster. I don't know how much of that is heat and how much is just age.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
... but you may find that old Roadmasters shed interior plastic like a cat sheds fur. ...
Thats's pretty funny- I have seen that with other cars from TX or southern CA, the sun bakes them, plastic shrinks and discolors in a way you don't see here. This car has been garaged all its life, but I haven't seen it in person yet.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #65
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
Thumbs up 1999 dodge 2500 6 cyl diesel 2w drive

I get between 15 and 17 towing my 1992 25' excella. I have been considering doing something to improve the ride. Anyone tried suspension enhancements e.g. air bags or helper springs. My truck is quite noisy but it is in such good shape. I have had the front end rebuilt and used the best shocks I can find. New trucks do ride smoother but 40,000 will buy a lot of trips.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
My tow vehicle is an 08 Tundra 2wd double cab. I only drive it when I am towing the Airstream or need it to carry big stuff in the bed. I never drive it unless I need to because it uses more fuel than my car (2002 BMW 330 coupe @ 26 mpg) and it is just too big- also too hard to park and visibility is bad when I have the cap on.

When driving on the road, without towing, I get 18-19 mpg easily. I consider this pretty good for a huge truck that pushes a lot of air. Towing the Airstream I get 13-14 mpg. The 2wd helps and I have the big 5.7L V8 with the 6 speed transmission. It is only turning 1,600 rpm at 60 mph. I tow at about 60 mph and drive very gently. The truck does not downshift very often as it has a lot of torque.

I hope to get 300-400K miles out of my Tundra since there does not seem to be much strain on the motor towing my Tradewind and the motor is only turning 1600 rpm @ 60 mph. We will see. I only have 38k miles and the only warranty work so far was replacing the radio.

I love the truck. It looks good, has been very reliable, large back seat, comfortable, good ride, 6.5 ft bed, reasonable turning radius, lots of power and torque, great 6 speed transmission, easy to manually shift (on the floor), quiet and reasonable fuel economy. My only dislikes are the lousy electronic limited slip differential and that it is HUGE. I wish a mechanical locking rear differential was available. If I bought a new truck this year I just might replace it with the same truck, although I would also consider the F150 with the max payload option.

Dan
Old 03-17-2012, 01:29 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
We have the same Tundra, 08 extra cab (not the really big one) but with the V6. It's a work truck used by a construction foreman during the week, and I tow with it when necessary. I have to say, I wish we had bought the V8. The V6 is okay with our 2850 pound Globetrotter, but it labors on the hills and I think the mileage must suffer, perhaps more than with an 8. Otherwise, the truck is great for towing. Its fine living in the country, but I took it to San Francisco yesterday, and it's a handful to park. The quality isn't up to the old Toyota standards, and Toyota was nightmarish to deal with for stupid warranty work. Our Honda Ridgeline is better put together and more comfortable, and we're going to set it up to tow too. I just can't see getting a bigger beast of a truck to drive all the time, or to just use part time for towing.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
My neighbor is 'testing' one of, 16ish in the country, a Chrysler Electric Hemi. He is impressed with it so far.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #69
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPorter View Post
I get between 15 and 17 towing my 1992 25' excella. I have been considering doing something to improve the ride. Anyone tried suspension enhancements e.g. air bags or helper springs. My truck is quite noisy but it is in such good shape. I have had the front end rebuilt and used the best shocks I can find. New trucks do ride smoother but 40,000 will buy a lot of trips.
Let's try a few basics, first, as N-V-H has a ton of overlap:

1] Have you dialled in the WDH on a certified scale?

2] Have you, with those scale readings, perfected tire pressures on the TV (as TT tires need always be at sidewall maximum)?

3] Have you gone over the rear spring leaf packs (disassembled, and installed new fasteners, parts as needed)?

4] If the front end was rebuilt did this include polyurethane bushings on the anti-roll bar (same for rear bar if so equipped; add one, IMO, if not).

5] Were body-to-frame bushings replaced? Motor mounts?

6] Is there any slack in the steering (from interior outward to wheels)? Driveshaft balance & u-joints?

7] Have you upgraded [R&R'd] cab insulation? Weatherstripping?

It is a verity that a quiet cab can "suffer" from some ride harshness, but that a loud cab magnifies every crack in the road. IOW, a quiet cab can have a slightly harsher ride and be judged the better ride than a noisy one with a slightly softer ride.

Your truck is ancient. At least, all the rubber is. I'd start there, as airbags, etc, won't address the problem, and as a bandaid won't offer what you need. They'll add nothing in terms of towing improvements.

Focus on restoring the truck to new in the above terms (and more inclusively). Chase down "quiet" and then isolate out the "rough". See http://www.atpwrap.com/html/dodgeram.html for noise abatement after hitch, tire, steering and rubber replacement.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
My neighbor is 'testing' one of, 16ish in the country, a Chrysler Electric Hemi. He is impressed with it so far.

Neil
This is what my neighbor is test driving for a few months for the fire dept. 2015 Ram 1500 PHEV

Neil

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel economy, mileage, towing