Old 07-26-2019, 09:58 PM   #29
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Tell me more about the "death wobble"! Not sure I knew about that?

The stabilizer shock went bad and was leaking. A death wobble is when your front steering shakes back and forth as your front wheels are caught in a back and forth oscillation! It is scary and you have to slow down and pull over!

Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
The stabilizer shock went bad and was leaking. A death wobble is when your front steering shakes back and forth as your front wheels are caught in a back and forth oscillation! It is scary and you have to slow down and pull over!
Haven't had an issue with mine yet. Hopefully they replaced it for you under warranty and didn't try to say it was a "wear item".

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

2018 30' Classic Twin (sold)
2020 25' Globetrotter Twin (inbound)
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:01 AM   #31
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Haven't had an issue with mine yet. Hopefully they replaced it for you under warranty and didn't try to say it was a "wear item".
They did.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:16 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Old 07-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Something was brought up briefly in another recent thread and since my questions about it wouldn't have exactly been on topic I didn't want to hijack that discussion. This thread seems like a better place to get some responses from the forum.

To the point, it's been said a few times that "you can't have too much truck" but is that really true? The comment made in the other thread was that a TV that's too stiffly sprung for the task can beat up the trailer resulting in stuff like popped rivets, cabinets flying open while travelling, additional stress on the frame, etc. I know that those kinds of problems can occur with a poorly matched hitch but it seems reasonable that they could also be associated with a poorly matched tow vehicle.

Obviously it depends greatly on individual requirements, but I'm just wondering if the question of F250 versus F350 is really so completely cut and dried. For example, after accounting for all of the fixed payload requirements like tongue weight, hitch, and passengers my 2017 F250 high trim level diesel with max tow has 550 lbs or so of spare payload capacity. Since I typically carry a couple of hundred pounds of gear in the bed of the truck, this leaves me a significant payload margin. Given that all the other attributes of the F250 are more than up to the task of towing my 30' Classic what would be the advantage of a one ton truck in a situation like mine? And isn't it possible that I'm doing my trailer a favor by not towing with a more stiffly sprung TV than I need? Or not.

Thoughts?
My view (in addition to the other comments) is basically that you can always soften the ride with something like an air hitch but you cannot easily add capability if you want to add payload above what is stock. Maybe next year you decide you want a Quad bike or add a couple of kayaks and bikes. Or you add a topper. Or you get a generator as you decide to boondock. But then again, I am a fan of flexibility. My current situation calls for an F150 (which is adequate but after two years I already feel the need for more payload) but in a few years we will get either a 3/4 or 1 ton.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:46 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
I put 30K miles on our 2015 Ram/Cummins 2500 and had the opportunity to trade it in on a 2018 Ram/Cummins 3500. I've now put 7K miles towing on the 3500. I can't tell any difference in the ride between the two of them.
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
My view (in addition to the other comments) is basically that you can always soften the ride with something like an air hitch but you cannot easily add capability if you want to add payload above what is stock. Maybe next year you decide you want a Quad bike or add a couple of kayaks and bikes. Or you add a topper. Or you get a generator as you decide to boondock. But then again, I am a fan of flexibility. My current situation calls for an F150 (which is adequate but after two years I already feel the need for more payload) but in a few years we will get either a 3/4 or 1 ton.
Good points about flexibility. In my case, I have all the gear I can foreseeably need for boondocking or whatever and I have ample payload capacity left over with a 3/4 ton. But if there is truly no penalty to be paid for getting the 1 ton, then one would be silly not to consider it.

I won't be in the market for a new truck for quite while but when the time comes I'll just have to do some critical comparison testing between a 1 ton and 3/4 ton for myself. My problem is that I know that per the specs the F350 has more springs and they are higher rate than the F250. From my experience with suspension tuning I'm having a hard time with the idea that Ford could somehow have greatly increased payload with a stiffer suspension on two trucks that are otherwise identical design-wise, yet not affect ride quality at all. Seems like magic!

Anyway, I appreciate the subjective opinions on the subject. Maybe I'll try a 1 ton and discover it's not as noticeably different as it would seem on paper.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

2018 30' Classic Twin (sold)
2020 25' Globetrotter Twin (inbound)
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:10 PM   #36
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Good points about flexibility. In my case, I have all the gear I can foreseeably need for boondocking or whatever and I have ample payload capacity left over with a 3/4 ton. But if there is truly no penalty to be paid for getting the 1 ton, then one would be silly not to consider it.

I won't be in the market for a new truck for quite while but when the time comes I'll just have to do some critical comparison testing between a 1 ton and 3/4 ton for myself. My problem is that I know that per the specs the F350 has more springs and they are higher rate than the F250. From my experience with suspension tuning I'm having a hard time with the idea that Ford could somehow have greatly increased payload with a stiffer suspension on two trucks that are otherwise identical design-wise, yet not affect ride quality at all. Seems like magic!

Anyway, I appreciate the subjective opinions on the subject. Maybe I'll try a 1 ton and discover it's not as noticeably different as it would seem on paper.
Next year . . . F-350 or f-450? I actually looked at a 450 the other day. The biggest plus of the 450 is the wide front end and incredible turning radius. Worth the price of admission!

https://youtu.be/jGuEJEyvDtY

Old 08-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
laguna beach , California
2018 F350, always go with bigger payload. Love mine!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1361.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	349803
sparkymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:29 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymark View Post
2018 F350, always go with bigger payload. Love mine!Attachment 349803
Love the blacked out chrome!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:32 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Dike , IA
My 2018 6.2 Lariat rides pretty good with my tires at 55 front, 60 rear. My TW is 1100 lbs, and according to the Michelin weight charts, that pressure is still way more capacity than the tires need. The payload on the gasser is 3116. Pulling an AS or almost any TT, not sure why anyone would need more than that. My TT is 8400 lbs and it accelerates up hills. Sure it uses 4th gear at nearly 4k rpm, but that's where the torque is And how they work. Nothing wrong with it. I wouldnt have any issue with 10k on the hitch of my 250 and would probably go to 12k if it was a 5vr. All without the diesel penalties. If I had a 12k and up 5ver, it would be a diesel f350 for sure.

ISUboy is offline   Reply With Quote