Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
 
2018 23' International
Penland , North Carolina
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Remember the hight the package the less payload you get.
Obviously, there’s a miscue here, but I can’t figure out what you intended to say for “hight”.
Please give it another shot.
__________________

dumbclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:19 PM   #16
CRH
Rivet Master
 
1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,625
He means higher trim level. A truck with a lot of options will have a lower payload than a stripped down model.
__________________

CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:25 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
1990 25' Excella
St Lawrence , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 34
Remember:
"You can never have too much truck.
Many times you may find yourself without enough truck.
But you can never have too much truck."


From an old timer who convinced me to buy the F350
rjmaype is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #18
Cloudland2
 
davidrrand's Avatar
 
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 203
I agree. If you go diesel get, buy the 350. Many diesel 250/2500s only have a hundred or more pounds of payload than my current 15 Lariat 150 4x4 SCab V8 with 2031 lbs. My previous truck was a ‘99 F350 diesel SCab with 6 speed manual and I loved it. The wife, not so much. Noisy and rough riding but durable and good economy. Don’t make em like that any more but new ones are very nice and twice as capable and twice the $$ too��
__________________
Dave & Carolyn
WBCCI #2584
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:06 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 27' International
Western , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 85
Images: 1
The new Diesels are much quieter and civilized, we took ours,out last weekend putting on some miles and wife’s comment at the end of the day was more comfortable than our Sierra AT4.
__________________
2019 International Serenity 27 FBQ “Serenity”

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
mikeinca's Avatar

 
2018 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 589
Something was brought up briefly in another recent thread and since my questions about it wouldn't have exactly been on topic I didn't want to hijack that discussion. This thread seems like a better place to get some responses from the forum.

To the point, it's been said a few times that "you can't have too much truck" but is that really true? The comment made in the other thread was that a TV that's too stiffly sprung for the task can beat up the trailer resulting in stuff like popped rivets, cabinets flying open while travelling, additional stress on the frame, etc. I know that those kinds of problems can occur with a poorly matched hitch but it seems reasonable that they could also be associated with a poorly matched tow vehicle.

Obviously it depends greatly on individual requirements, but I'm just wondering if the question of F250 versus F350 is really so completely cut and dried. For example, after accounting for all of the fixed payload requirements like tongue weight, hitch, and passengers my 2017 F250 high trim level diesel with max tow has 550 lbs or so of spare payload capacity. Since I typically carry a couple of hundred pounds of gear in the bed of the truck, this leaves me a significant payload margin. Given that all the other attributes of the F250 are more than up to the task of towing my 30' Classic what would be the advantage of a one ton truck in a situation like mine? And isn't it possible that I'm doing my trailer a favor by not towing with a more stiffly sprung TV than I need? Or not.

Thoughts?
__________________
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

2018 30' Classic Twin (sold)
2020 25' Globetrotter Twin (inbound)
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:35 AM   #21
AirDreamer
 
turk123's Avatar
 
2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,432
This is kind of an experiment, but I am adding an Add-a-leaf to my 2017 ford F-250 Platinum diesel to increase the payload margin. I have no plans to go beyond the "sticker" on the door (2086 lb.) but my thinking is a more stable ride with my 30' Classic.

I have another thread talking more about this and the predicament I am in with payload. That said, the F-350 would have been a better choice for me. The added leaf will allow 1100 lbs. more payload (not legally as the sticker still stands as the limit) and should give me the same stability that the F-350 has. The F-350 essentially is a 250 with an added leaf. My Ford dealer said they would install my third party leaf for under $200. They have no problem with this.

I am also going to add a Suilastic shock for the rear leaf springs. My concern is the more "stiffer" ride and removing some of this stiffness transferred to the trailer. I have also added a rear stabilizer bar (ford) to the 250.

I would say if you are thinking about a 250 diesel, make sure your trim level gives you enough payload. I added an A.R.E. cap (200 lbs.) and a Bedslide (190). Add the propride hitch, trailer, Thule and roof rack, people, big dog, cooler, grill, bikes, tools, rug, and your payload is used up. The 350 gives you a good 1000 lbs. of margin.
__________________
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin

Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:10 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City beach , Florida
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 37
I was in the same situation. I decided that the 350 is the way to go for the additional payload. There is no real difference in ride quality, I previously owned a 250 so I have experience here. My payload sticker says 3393, it’s a loaded Lariat. I have more options than my friends Platinum! It tows extremely well.
__________________
Jason W.
USAF retired!

2018 FC 27FB queen
2019 F350 CC SRW 6.7 Short Bed
Eagle Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:06 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 7,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
.....

To the point, it's been said a few times that "you can't have too much truck" but is that really true? The comment made in the other thread was that a TV that's too stiffly sprung for the task can beat up the trailer resulting in stuff like popped rivets, cabinets flying open while travelling, additional stress on the frame, etc. I know that those kinds of problems can occur with a poorly matched hitch but it seems reasonable that they could also be associated with a poorly matched tow vehicle.

......

Thoughts?
Hi

Given the way an AS hooks up to the TV, there *is* flex between the two. It's not a 5th wheel. In order for the truck to to crazy stuff *to* the trailer you would need a pretty stiff linkage. With a heavier truck, there is less need for a lot of WD on your hitch. That means a *softer* linkage rather than a stiffer one (at least with most systems).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
This is kind of an experiment, but I am adding an Add-a-leaf to my 2017 ford F-250 Platinum diesel to increase the payload margin. I have no plans to go beyond the "sticker" on the door (2086 lb.) but my thinking is a more stable ride with my 30' Classic.

I have another thread talking more about this and the predicament I am in with payload. That said, the F-350 would have been a better choice for me. The added leaf will allow 1100 lbs. more payload (not legally as the sticker still stands as the limit) and should give me the same stability that the F-350 has. The F-350 essentially is a 250 with an added leaf. My Ford dealer said they would install my third party leaf for under $200. They have no problem with this.

I am also going to add a Suilastic shock for the rear leaf springs. My concern is the more "stiffer" ride and removing some of this stiffness transferred to the trailer. I have also added a rear stabilizer bar (ford) to the 250.

I would say if you are thinking about a 250 diesel, make sure your trim level gives you enough payload. I added an A.R.E. cap (200 lbs.) and a Bedslide (190). Add the propride hitch, trailer, Thule and roof rack, people, big dog, cooler, grill, bikes, tools, rug, and your payload is used up. The 350 gives you a good 1000 lbs. of margin.
Interested in your ride review when you get this all done...I am looking at the Bilstines on mine, but dealer told me this past week, he wouldn't change till the Rancho's need replacement...he said mine are fine while I was in for service. 60K now on my 2017 F250...Not sure if I will go for the topper or not for our Alaska trip next spring...lots of plus's for having a topper; more room for secure storage and kayaks on top, etc...if I go that route, I likely could also use the extra spring to be safe...
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
mikeinca's Avatar

 
2018 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Interested in your ride review when you get this all done...I am looking at the Bilstines on mine, but dealer told me this past week, he wouldn't change till the Rancho's need replacement...he said mine are fine while I was in for service. 60K now on my 2017 F250...
I know your post was directed at turk123 but just thought I'd chime in on the Bilstein series 4600 shocks. My 2017 F250 suspension felt under-controlled on rough roads even when unladen and I had some porpoising when towing; not bad but noticeable. I replaced the front and rear OEM shocks with the Bilsteins even though my truck only had 10K miles on it.

I'm extremely happy with the result. The ride is more composed on rough pavement and on our recent 3000 mile trip after the upgrade I didn't experience porpoising even once. Definitely an upgrade over stock.
__________________
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

2018 30' Classic Twin (sold)
2020 25' Globetrotter Twin (inbound)
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #26
AirDreamer
 
turk123's Avatar
 
2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I know your post was directed at turk123 but just thought I'd chime in on the Bilstein series 4600 shocks. My 2017 F250 suspension felt under-controlled on rough roads even when unladen and I had some porpoising when towing; not bad but noticeable. I replaced the front and rear OEM shocks with the Bilsteins even though my truck only had 10K miles on it.

I'm extremely happy with the result. The ride is more composed on rough pavement and on our recent 3000 mile trip after the upgrade I didn't experience porpoising even once. Definitely an upgrade over stock.
I did the same thing. If you want to wait for the Rancho's (actual ford with Rancho's label) to go bad before you install new shocks, you won't wait too long. Mine were gone at 25,000 miles. Bilsteins all around. Billstein now makes a shock for the rear on 2017 and up F-250/350's with no modifications.

Ride is definitely improved. Don't forget the steering damping shock. Mine was leaking and caused a death wobble!!!
__________________
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin

Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I did the same thing. If you want to wait for the Rancho's (actual ford with Rancho's label) to go bad before you install new shocks, you won't wait too long. Mine were gone at 25,000 miles. Bilsteins all around. Billstein now makes a shock for the rear on 2017 and up F-250/350's with no modifications.

Ride is definitely improved. Don't forget the steering damping shock. Mine was leaking and caused a death wobble!!!
Tell me more about the "death wobble"! Not sure I knew about that?
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I know your post was directed at turk123 but just thought I'd chime in on the Bilstein series 4600 shocks. My 2017 F250 suspension felt under-controlled on rough roads even when unladen and I had some porpoising when towing; not bad but noticeable. I replaced the front and rear OEM shocks with the Bilsteins even though my truck only had 10K miles on it.

I'm extremely happy with the result. The ride is more composed on rough pavement and on our recent 3000 mile trip after the upgrade I didn't experience porpoising even once. Definitely an upgrade over stock.
Thanks for the input! Guess I should order on Amazon and get these going then!
__________________

__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
250 meets 250 meets 250... "made for Germany" in Germany split window Classic Motorhomes 27 11-29-2016 11:44 AM
Any TV off road type tires? 2016 F-250. 250 vs 350? 6.7 Diesel or 6.2 Gas? Need help! Danattherock Tow Vehicles 53 07-19-2015 01:21 AM
250 MH :: 1990 Airstream 250 barend Airstream Registry Discussions 0 08-19-2011 08:32 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.