Old 10-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
got the fuses tightened up and all was ok for our rally weekend. Then on the return, when we hit my driveway I had a puddle of trans fluid under the truck. I could see it running in a thin line straight down. Yikes.
Made it up to the mountains and back with no issues until this. At least I can say that anyway. Now not sure what I am doing next.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:24 PM   #142
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Alan, I had to tighten the coller lines on my transmission, as one was weeping. Diesels vibrate more than gas engines (duh!), and will tend to rattle stuff loose. Try tightening the cooler lines before pushing the panic button.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:28 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Not panicking, yet. I read that when they heat up they leak also, and it did not have any shifting issues. I started up after letting it cool down awhile and did not see any leaks. I will check fluid levels tommorow and see how the atf looks. Also will check the lines. Hope its not a front seal as that seems to be a common failure.
I am considering that it might be sensible to trade while I can.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 10-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #144
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
AlanSD,

Don't know what you are driving but if it is a Ford PSD, then make sure the leak is the tranny. If the O rings go on the high pressure oil pump (HPOP), then it can look like it is a bad rear seal or tranny leak. Happened to mine - quick and inexpensive fix compared to a tranny.
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:32 PM   #145
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
Not panicking, yet. I read that when they heat up they leak also, and it did not have any shifting issues. I started up after letting it cool down awhile and did not see any leaks. I will check fluid levels tommorow and see how the atf looks. Also will check the lines. Hope its not a front seal as that seems to be a common failure.
I am considering that it might be sensible to trade while I can.
If it looks like the fluid came out the overfill tube on top of the transmission, and the fluid looks kind of discolored, you may have a plugged coller. There is a way to check for this, but it is messy (requires high-pressure air, and removing the lines on both sides of the cooler). Your truck does have an aux cooler in front of the radiator?
Old 10-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I do have a trans cooler, and reading on the Powerstroke forums, seems its common for the trans to overheat, throwout a bunch of fluid and then be ok when it cools. Also the front seal is a source of leakage and more so when hot.
The guys there say even with the cooler, you should add another one to be sure, and they talk about driving with the od off.
I wonder whether I should throw more money at this rig or trade to newer one.
Can't swing a brand new one, but maybe less than ten yrs old like the one I have now.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 11-09-2006, 09:27 PM   #147
Mr. Peeps, Pull-It Master

2007 25' International CCD
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Alan,

Twice in 4 years and soon again I have had to get my rotors turned because of brake wiggle when I apply my brakes. The whole front end shakes. I was told by my dealer that it was because I applied my brakes too hard????? Once he told me I should upgrade to the heaver rotors. I asked him why. The truck is a SUPER DUTY F250 - it says so on the side, comes with a tow package - at that cost there should have been the biggest and best brakes on the rig when I bought it. Makes me wonder sometimes....

My 2 cents..... just rambling.....
You can have great brakes but still need to have he rotors turned more often if you overuse them, such as long, downhill braking while pulling an AS. They simply overheat from too much braking (all that kinetic energy has to go somewhere, and it's in heating the brakes). A friend warned me about this last year while we were going over the Sierras sans trailer; he could smell my hot brake pads on the downhill side. His advice was excellent: use my transmission for braking assistance, and occasionally pull over and let the brakes (and tranny) cool off. Otherwise, prepare to have your rotors turned again!!
Old 11-09-2006, 11:16 PM   #148
1 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Lomita , California
We have4 a 2003 F 250 Diesel. Never had a problem towing our 28' 1960 Ambassador. We pulled it last winter from Medford, OR to So Cal. OD off at 55-60 got approx 18 mpg. Couldn't even tell the the AS was there. Went through a pretty severe snow storm going over the pass from OR into CA. The AS tracked just fine.

Diesel is the only way to go....
Old 11-10-2006, 07:35 AM   #149
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
So what is the F-250 size?Is it a 3/4 ton?How big of an Airstream can it pull?

Devoman,

It can pull anything Airstream makes - I can attest.

Since you have a young family, I would tend to point you to an Excursion - but only if you were open to buying used, since they are no longer manufactured (you might be able to still find a new 2005).

Along that same line, I moved from an Expedition to an Excursion (F150 to F250), and I can tell you there is no comparison. The Excursion (F250) is such a much better TV - strength, power, wheel base (length) - all results in about a 100% more enjoyable towing experience - my opinion.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Still happy with our 2006 F-250 SuperDuty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
Devoman,

It can pull anything Airstream makes - I can attest...
Along that same line, I moved from an Expedition to an Excursion (F150 to F250), and I can tell you there is no comparison. The Excursion (F250) is such a much better TV - strength, power, wheel base (length) - all results in about a 100% more enjoyable towing experience - my opinion.
Our truck is now over two years old and has never had a problem. Our enjoyable towing experience includes the feeling of security and comfort for us and our dogs as we easily pull the trailer up and over our local mountains. I also really like the the TowCommand, factory-installed, fully integrated trailer brake controller, along with the telescoping tow mirrors.

A nice, recent surprise was to find that the Doran 360RV Tire Pressure Monitor fits perfectly in the auxiliary storage compartment in the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0057 F-250.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	72346   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0013 Monitor in F-250.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	72347  

Old 12-08-2008, 08:01 AM   #151
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
mpgs

For what ever it's worth:

Towing my 4500# Tradewind with my 99 F250 2wd w/ Triton engine, extended cab, short bed, 3.73 positrac rear, ac off. I drove from Albuquerque area to Carlsbad. At 55mph on the flats I got an amazing 14.5 mpg to Artesia and then crossing a mountain range 12.5 to Carlsbad.

On the return trip I took a different route, flat all the way. @ 60mph I got a dissapointing 11 mpg.

During the summer with AC on at 60-62 mph on mixed terrain I average 11-12 mpg.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #152
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I am on my second F-250 diesel and the '05 and the '08 pull our 30' Safari as if it wasn't even back there. The two/haul cruises with the cruise control and a/c running full blast in the heat of summer on mountainous interstate like I had no trailer at all. I will admit the '05 had more torque and got about 2 MPG's better, but the reason I traded was the comfort. The new suspension along with the new captain's chairs that fit my back perfectly make for a much less tiresome day long trek. The built-in brake controller stops as if there were no load on the truck at all; I can tell virtually no difference in stopping with or without the trailer in tow. Pretty sweet combo.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #153
Mendo Metal Monster

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Mendocino , California
Hey Dude,

I live in Mendocino and I just got back from a trip to the Northeast via Idaho, Yellowstone, Black Hills of SD, Eastern Canada, and returned via the southern route. Put over 10,000 miles on a 2007 F-250 powerstroke. Went east last year as well; so I've probably got over 20,000 tow miles on a 25' 2007 safari.

Truck is great and the extra power you get along with the "tow haul" or mini engine break is a must when doing real grades like Donner or Big Horn Mountains (9,700). Also, I've logged every mile driven and calculated gas miles at every fill-up (the auto gas mileage computer on board the truck is often inaccurate to the tune of 2 or more mpg's on the high side).

In short, you can get close to 15 mpg on flat surface with no wind at 55. Move up to 65 in same conditions and you're down to 13 mpg or so. If you haul in the mountains out west (Yosemite, Sequoia, Yellowstone, etc.) where there are real grades, you will be getting 10 or so mpg often.

In sum, living in Nothern Cal has its advantages; but gas mileage while pulling a trailer is not one of them given we can go no where on level ground other than the San Joaquin valley (which I only see on the way to the mountains)!

Cheers

d
Old 12-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #154
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I know you guys love your diesels, but the numbers for maint over a gasser is significant. Add that to the cost of diesel and this is a real issue for those on the edge making a decision to justify a diesel. I have 23k on our 08 5.4, 4 oil changes @ dealer for less than 30.00 each and no real other filters need changing for at least 50-60k.