Old 11-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #15
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post

The big three are kind of like politicians when it comes to their claims.
Are you insinuating that politicians lie like cheap rugs????

Cheers
Tony

Old 11-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Those numbers do not mean a lot anyway. For towing an Airstream the numbers that are limiting are the rear axle rating and the payload. Does Ford subscribe to the new tow rating testing procedures? If so, then you can be pretty certain the truck will do what they said. I think it quite likely that manufacturers of trucks see towing as a strong use and are developing trucks for towing more than they used to. Just the fact that they developed the industry test for towing indicates that to me.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My understanding is that Ford was going to J2807 with the '15, F150, but my eyebrow is raised by the published numbers. GM and Ram both are J2807 on 1/2 tons. GM isn't on the HDs until Ford does so. Ford is not J2807 on 250s and >....all this is the latest I've heard, or not heard, as the case may be.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I agree with dznfOg. The fuel mileage test is standardized (although your actual mileage may differ), emissions tests are standardized, horsepower tests are standardized. When everyone advertises their tow ratings are the result of standardized tests, we can started comparing apples to apples. Right now most tow ratings are marketing hype.

I like the automotive press comparison tests: same weather, same loaded trailer, same grade up and down, same altitude. Those tests mean more to me than sales brochures.

Modern pick ups and passenger vehicles are so much better than they were 20 years ago. We often say "I can't believe these numbers!"

David
Old 11-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Class V receiver to go with it?

It will be interesting to see if they put a class V hitch on the high capacity model to utilize the cargo capacity. I am betting it will come with a class IV (1000 pound max hitch weight) which you will likely not be able to find an upgrade for.

So you will have all that cargo capacity but you will still be over the receiver capacity when you hang a larger Airstream on it with pivot point projection hitch (combined tongue weight of >1200 pounds).

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Don't think corrosion on the new fords will be an issue. Yes it will be alum but the material will be a lot different than the material used on the AS body.

There is a big article on Forbes about the new truck.
Ford’s Epic Gamble: The inside story - Fortune

They put an alum truck through the Baja 1,000 with only half making the entire trip down.

I think this will be the leading truck in sales and dependability going forward as the ford brand has show over the years.

I, as a ford vehicle and stock owner, do keep up with the goings on with ford and consider this endeavor to be the wave of the future in gas/fuel saving for large truck.. I see the f-250 brand being the next one to go alum after they prove this frame out in the 150..

If you check out a site called Fast Lane Trucking they do real world test on the various pickups and the eco boost was a towing machine up the Ike gauntlet in Colorado. This 8 mile 7% grade up I-70 that starts at 8200 ft and goes to 11300 ft is a real tow test and the eco-boost was one of the best in the 1/2 ton lineup.

Here's a video from the site showing the first 2015 F-150 that comes off the line to mass applause.
Watch the first 2015 Ford F-150 Roll Off the Assembly Line in Dearborn, MI [Video] - TFLTruck.com: Truck News, Views & Reviews | The Fast Lane TruckTFLTruck.com: Truck News, Views & Reviews | The Fast Lane Truck

A lot of time, money and effort went into the development of this alum thing. One thing to remember Alan Mulally came from the airline industry and was very familiar with alum in high strength needs. While the application is different the strength needed is greater in airline frames than a truck.

I look forward to this new truck and see the stock and it dividend as a good place to put my money so in 6 years when we try to go full-time it provides a good income for us going forward.

just my two cents,, paid quarterly and reinvested in ford stock..
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I agree with dznfOg. The fuel mileage test is standardized (although your actual mileage may differ), emissions tests are standardized, horsepower tests are standardized. When everyone advertises their tow ratings are the result of standardized tests, we can started comparing apples to apples. Right now most tow ratings are marketing hype.

I like the automotive press comparison tests: same weather, same loaded trailer, same grade up and down, same altitude. Those tests mean more to me than sales brochures.

Modern pick ups and passenger vehicles are so much better than they were 20 years ago. We often say "I can't believe these numbers!"

David
but not to forget the ratings are something a person can use in court against the manf, if the weight rating shown were not accurate. Most ratings are set below the actual weight they can tow. If you pull a trailer every day I would not go much above the ratings.. I have see trucks 1000 lbs over loaded and do ok for 50-100 miles or more but every day use would cause issues.

I read a lot of comments about towing heavy and stopping which is true. If some does something stupid in front of you loaded or not you might not be able to avoid an accident.. $hit happens.

and i agree the test done by non manf types hold more water to me as well..

I like this site for good test. TFLTruck.com: Truck News, Views & Reviews | The Fast Lane Truck - All Trucks - All the Time!TFLTruck.com: Truck News, Views & Reviews | The Fast Lane Truck | All Trucks – All the Time! check it out..
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Setting aside the tow ratings, but with regards to my original question, how can the F-150/Ecoboost get such a larger GCWR than the Ram/Hemi (with similar rear axles), while having less HP (but slightly more torque).... is that Ram has gone to the J2807 standard and Ford has not?
Old 11-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
Setting aside the tow ratings, but with regards to my original question, how can the F-150/Ecoboost get such a larger GCWR than the Ram/Hemi (with similar rear axles), while having less HP (but slightly more torque).... is that Ram has gone to the J2807 standard and Ford has not?
Maybe, to you last question. But remember, load specs regardless of what spec, is limited to the weakest link in the chain. Maybe Ram has a trans not up to the loading. Maybe it's the drive shaft. Maybe its the diff. Maybe it's the braking. There's no way to know which component is limiting GCWR.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #24
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Tow ratings are still a moot point, becuase that's changes based on configuration, and the big 3 all pretend in their marketing that every F150, Silverado and Ram can tow up to XXX.

It's in all the materials. And everyone here knows that configuration of options changes that. So really, if Ford can tow 12000lbs what does it matter if it's tow rating in a Platinum is the same as a Dodge Laramie?

End of discussion. You're welcome.

Tow ratings are the horsepower claims of the truck world.

Horsepower doesn't equal track times. Tow ratings don't equal real world performance. The end.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Tow ratings are still a moot point, becuase that's changes based on configuration, and the big 3 all pretend in their marketing that every F150, Silverado and Ram can tow up to XXX.

It's in all the materials. And everyone here knows that configuration of options changes that. So really, if Ford can tow 12000lbs what does it matter if it's tow rating in a Platinum is the same as a Dodge Laramie?

End of discussion. You're welcome.

Tow ratings are the horsepower claims of the truck world.

Horsepower doesn't equal track times. Tow ratings don't equal real world performance. The end.
J2807 IS real world performance...read up on it. Marketing dept. no longer have any say. It is what it tests out to be, pulling a trailer up a given hill at a given speed with prescribed accessories operating. Who's all using it right now???? What I know is upthread...what I don't know is what I don't know. That's why the SAE developed the J2807 standard....to be STANDARD across all manufacturers. It's has been phased in quietly through car and truck lines for several years.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #26
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
J2807 IS real world performance...read up on it. Marketing dept. no longer have any say. It is what it tests out to be, pulling a trailer up a given hill at a given speed with prescribed accessories operating. Who's all using it right now???? What I know is upthread...what I don't know is what I don't know. That's why the SAE developed the J2807 standard....to be STANDARD across all manufacturers. It's has been phased in quietly through car and truck lines for several years.
I know what it is, have read and followed it for years, but you missed my point entirely.

Not discrediting these numbers, just how'll they'll be used in marketing material to mislead and confuse. And now that it's a "standard" even more confusion to follow.

My point is that the big 3 use the best number even if it's J2807, for marketing ALL of their trucks. Most people don't buy the best configuration. Again, see my point about Max Tow vs Max Payload option on Ford trucks. Why name something MAX TOW if Max Payload is the true option for the best tow rating, if not to get one by on the consumer?

1000lbs of bricks on a flat bed trailer is a lot different from 8000lbs of SOB trailer with 1000lbs of hitch weight.

I still think, even with the standard, folks will buy trucks, and then eventually end up on forums complaining when they discover the truck isn't up to the task the dealership lead them to believe.

See screenshot.

Unless you're telling me that J2807 means that all F-150's in all configurations can tow 12,000lbs, then I'm buying a crew cab short bed King Ranch tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_Shot_2014-11-15_at_2_37_51_PM.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	226593  
Old 11-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Oh, I did misunderstand.....but of course the mfr is going to advertise the max for the car/truckline. J2807 is NOT nor was it ever meant to be a substitute for proper spec'ing a vehicle for the individual customers' needs and desires. No question. And yes, I do believe it will still be very confusing and argued/discussed just like before J2807. I don't think it is more confusing than before, just a different set of confusions. It does however give a consistent BASELINE methodology from which all accepting manufacturers start.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Are you insinuating that politicians lie like cheap rugs????

Cheers
Tony
Only when their lips are moving. Sal

TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote