Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
F-150 FX4 towing 2008 25'FB International -- Am I OK?

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the Airforums.com, so first off, just want to say HI!

Now on to my Question: I am going to be buying an Airstream next summer. The one I really have my mind set on is the 2008 25'FB international series. My current Tow vehicle will be a 2006 Ford F150 FX4. That truck has the 5.4L Triton engine, 4X4 package with factory tow upgrade package. I need to varify for the exact wheel base length, but I have the super cab (not super crew) with the 6.5' bed. I have to double check, but I believe the Max. Tow rating is 9200 lbs. for my configuration. Will this vehicle be sufficient to tow the 5410 lb (empty weight) trailer without running into any problems/uncormfortable driving conditions? Are there any truck upgrades or tips I could consider in order to make the towing experience more comfortable?

To elaborate a bit more on my outings, I will likely be taking this rig mostly to the Eastern parts of Canada and the US in the summers including areas such as Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and into the eastern states such as ME, VT, and NH which I know can be somewhat mountainous. I will also probably be taking it to FL for the winters and may be passing through the Blue Ridge mountains in PA on my route down from Toronto to Miami where I also anticipate some fairly impressive grades. My cargo will be maximum 2 adults + a large breed dog (115 lbs) as well as modestly packed clothing, food, small yardworks 950W generator (35lbs) and another couple hundred pounds of misc. stuff that I can't think of but would like to allow for. I also would Ideally like to be able to travel with the tanks loaded up (Both LP and H2O) since my trips will normally be longer in nature.

Now, the truck I am using has been my work truck for the past 3 years. I am due for a new work truck within a year, but due to the nature of my job (new home construction), I only require a half-ton. Would it be an idea of upgrading to a 3/4 ton for personal use and keep the F-150 for work? or will I be fine keeping the 150 as my personal use TV and then just replacing my work vehicle with a newer half ton?

Thanks for your help! And I appologise in advance for the lengthy post!
echoroxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Echoroxy,
My two cents is you may be just inside the envelope for towing with your F150, but an F250 would be better, and an F250 diesel would be best. I am sure others will chime in, but like I said, just my two cents.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Welcome to the forum. Hit search button above. Then sit tight as you will find about 10K posts on this subject. There are three groups. Those who think you can tow and haul any weight with any vehicle that will get it moving. Those who believe that you must have a 250/2500 class to tow anything but a Bambi. Finally, those somewhere inbetween. For even more fun, go to the RV.NET forums. Those folks go for blood on the issue of how much truck one needs.
Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
thanks for the info! will definitely start searching!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Hi Echoroxy,

I have a 28' Int that I tow with a F150 4x4 5.4 and it goes perfect. If rated for 9200 lbs you'll be more than fine.
Going with a F250 with the same engine won't give you more as the 250 is heavier than the 150. Then going with a diesel is overkill.

As you are in Toronto go to see Can Am, ask to talk to Andy he'll tell you everything about towing.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
_

. , .
hi roxy welcome to the forums...

there is a LOT of info here on the 150s and towing capability with various 'streams...

while your current truck will handle the new 25s loaded, consider this...

many folks opt for a larger/longer trailer VERY quickly after the 1st 'stream...

so given where u are in your truck purchasing cycle, it makes sense to consider a 250 class tv with MORE engine...

or watch for the diesel version of the 'big' 1/2 tons that are in the pipeline...

for folks who have SPACE and can afford to have 2 vehicles,

separating out the towing/travel use from day2day 'round town needs is a successful approach.

so you are on the right track with the process and thinking this through....

just keep in mind that the towing capacity u see listed...

for virtually EVERY tv (except vw/audi/porsche) is LOWERED whenever cargo/payload is IN the tv...

using your '9200 lb' rating above, 1500 lbs of people, gear n options (a shell) IN d' truck, results in an adjustment to 7700 lbs...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
echoroxy,

Welcome to the forum.

My truck is not a Ford, but a GMC simularly equipped, and I tow a '01 25' excella with no issues to date. My truck is the 1/2 ton, extended cab, short bed (same length as yours), with GM's 5.3 liter, 2WD, and tow package (3.73:1 rear end ratio). I believe you will have no trouble with the 150. However, I think at this point if I were buying a new truck, I would consider the 3/4 ton diesel. Just my opinion.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks to all for the replies! Sounds like I should be OK, but may want to consider a 3/4 ton if I can foresee an airstream upgrade in the future. Now I can't say for sure, but I feel that for my purpose, the 25' should be more than enough room with the amount of passengers and type of traveling I tend to do. But then again, who's to know... I may just get tempted for a 30' slide classic years down the road. For the time being, I since I am going to be in the market for an Airstream before a TV upgrade, I am going to try this setup on short trips next summer to see how in handles. If I'm happy, I'll keep the TV as is, and if not, when it's time to upgrade trucks next fall, I can take the plunge and go for a 3/4 ton. My biggest priority is to feel comfortable with the trailer that I am pulling. I want some extra power as security, but do not want overkill.

I'll keep you updated!

Dufferin - Can Am, is that the dealer located in London ON?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Echoroxy,

I recently downgraded from a 2000 Excursion diesel to a 2005 F-150 that I use to haul a 25' Safari. The F-150 handles the trailer as good if not better than the Excursion. That's impossible, right? There's no way a 1/2 ton truck can tow better than a 3/4 ton! Wrong. The steering is better, the suspension is far better, the stability is better. It's a great truck.

However, you're not going to be racing up any mountains. I can climb the Ozark hills in 3rd gear without dropping below 55 mph but I'll be out in Yellowstone next summer where I'll probably be climbing the 7% grades in 2nd gear at 50 mph.

I've taken a pretty bad hit on fuel cost. Even though diesel fuel is more expensive you get better economy that more than makes up for it. I was getting 14 mpg with the Excursion. Now I'm getting 11.5. That's about $50 more per 1,000 miles at current prices.

I can't wait for the 2010 F-150 diesel.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Hello Echo

You have a great tow vehicle for that trailer. That 5.4 liter is the new generation 3 valve per cylinder. You could tow much more that you are with no problem.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
No, we're not there yet!

1966 22' Safari
Acworth , Georgia
Hi Echoroxy, I have a 2006 F150 extended cab with the 5.4 3 valve and tow my 1966 22ft Safari with no problems. I get 21mpg without and 17mpg while towing with the truck bed loaded to the max. Like others said....a diesel 250 would do better but you'll be fine with what you have. Steve
Maddoxx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
We have a 2005 F-150 4X4 with the 5.4L Triton, SuperCab, Tow pkg etc. etc. We pull a Safari 27 FBSE & WD hitch. While it's may not be the optimal TV, according to some here, I'm not out there hot rodding with the trailer in tow. I've been very comfortable with the setup. My biggest issue was the adjustment from pulling a 22' AS (our prior tt) to the length of the 27. That extra length can be tricky if you don't watch carefully.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Florida
Echoroxy ----

Go to www.rvtowingtips.com and read all the details you need to get the 'scoop' on towing. This author has done 'a ton' of research and put it in words that are easy to understand.

Zeke
zekethebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks for all the replies, it's comforting to see how helpful people are around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTruck View Post
We have a 2005 F-150 4X4 with the 5.4L Triton, SuperCab, Tow pkg etc. etc. We pull a Safari 27 FBSE & WD hitch. While it's may not be the optimal TV, according to some here, I'm not out there hot rodding with the trailer in tow. I've been very comfortable with the setup. My biggest issue was the adjustment from pulling a 22' AS (our prior tt) to the length of the 27. That extra length can be tricky if you don't watch carefully.
What specifically do you mean by "can be tricky" with the 27' AS? Are you referring to extra tranny and engine stress caused by the extra load? Towing up grades? Or do you just mean that it can be more tricky to maneuver due to length? Do you think I may face some of the same challenges with a 25 footer? (It's kind of something in the middle between a 22' and 27')
Old 09-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #15
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoroxy View Post

Dufferin - Can Am, is that the dealer located in London ON?
yes Echo.

You'll be surprised by his setup. But he knows his stuff. Some of my friends do tow a 34' classic with a 300 magnum HEMI and they do travel the all winter with it. No problem for them.

At the Region 1 Rally in PEI I followed Andy's seminar and the guy doesn't put hazard in the setup. He does some math and then try it on the road. His brother Kirk was at the same site a week prior with a Jetta diesel towing a 19'.

He will actually tell you that a 3/4 ton is too stiff for an Airstream ask him to show you some pics of what those kind of trucks can do on the AS frame.

But sure some feel more comfortable to go with a big truck and big engine... as said already the 150 will come soon with a diesel... woth the wait.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The F-150 will pull a 25' International fine; if you don't overload it with "stuff". You are right on track about waiting until after making a few trips with your current truck before making a decision about sticking with an F-150 or keeping the current one as a work truck and getting a 3/4 ton for towing. Keep in mind that you won't have to get a diesel to tow with. You can get a V-10 F-250 for a little more than what a new F-150 will cost you and much less than an F-250 diesel.

The V-10 will have similar towing power and torque as the diesel and similar fuel mileage (or Km's in Canada). The big difference will be that the 3/4 ton will have larger brakes and a tougher transmission, suspension, and frame. At least Ford advertises that they do. These are the items that will make towing more stable and the tow vehicle more durable. Especially the transmission if you do much mountain towing. I have an F-250 diesel and am very satisfied with it towing my 30' Safari, but could easily do it with a half ton. But I wouldn't have the torque and acceleration or hill towing power that I do nor would I be as comfortable with long term durability that I have.

All said and done, again, you are spot on with trying it with what you have now before making a decision.

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your new Airstream.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #17
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Tricky to me is maneuvering. We up-sized from a 22 to the 27 (which is actually 28' according to the specs). The additional 6 feet requires paying closer attention to where the trailer is. Switching lanes on the highway and needing to be 150% sure I've got the room to move over. Turning corners and making sure I don't curb it.
The towing capability is absolutely ok with my setup. We live at the foothills of the Blue Ridge and need to travel over two mountains in order to get to I-81 with the requisite switchbacks, up and down. Again, the truck isn't strained by this but I keep a sharp eye out for clearances, use the engine for braking when I can so I don't overheat the brakes etc.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferin View Post
yes Echo.

You'll be surprised by his setup. But he knows his stuff. Some of my friends do tow a 34' classic with a 300 magnum HEMI and they do travel the all winter with it. No problem for them.

At the Region 1 Rally in PEI I followed Andy's seminar and the guy doesn't put hazard in the setup. He does some math and then try it on the road. His brother Kirk was at the same site a week prior with a Jetta diesel towing a 19'.

He will actually tell you that a 3/4 ton is too stiff for an Airstream ask him to show you some pics of what those kind of trucks can do on the AS frame.

But sure some feel more comfortable to go with a big truck and big engine... as said already the 150 will come soon with a diesel... woth the wait.
YES, I actually think I saw his setup with the Jetta Diesel and 19' Trailer last year. It was on display at the Toronto RV show. I think it was a navy blue Jetta if I recall correctly. I definitely am going to take a trip down to London this fall to speak to the guys down there.

Ford Truck -- Do you think I'll run into braking issues on long downhills even if I have trailer brakes? Should I still use engine braking to help assist the braking?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
Just be glad you have a FORD and not a Japanese truck like I have. I tow my 25 with a Nissan Titan and the truck is perfect. There seems to be MANY members who hate the idea of having a Japanese truck!!! The families in Mississippi that made my Titan seems to enjoy the paycheck.
DrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
The families in Mississippi that made my Titan seems to enjoy the paycheck.
As does, I'm sure, the Nissan Corporation in Japan.