Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member
1998 34' Excella 1000
Arlington , Texas
Well I finished my in bed transfer flow tank install this weekend and here are my thoughts. I bought the 50 gallon in bed tank, did the install myself, no problem if you have any mechanical ability what so ever and can follow the very straight foward instructions. Its a very neat system and the trax system really works as advertised, when the main tank (factory tank) gets to 1/2 a tank the pump turns on and transfer's fuel into you factory tank up to a little over 3/4 full, this is to allow for expansion and to have no chance of overflow. The LCD screen shows the number of gallons in you factory tank, your new aux tank and a total of the two. The purpose of the install is to give me options, not that I want to tow close to 1000 miles nonstop, but I figure its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. We are leaving on a two week trip at the end of the end of the month and I'll let you know how it works out.

HighFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Hmmmm. I wonder if you can buy in bulk?

You are going to come up on the EPA and NSA for fuel purchases that big!!

Just kidding....that is a ridiculous thought...big rigs buy that much daily..

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #45
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Great range, except my bladder can not last that long. So that tends to color my range as I usually refill the truck tank when I empty mine.

What got me started on this is on this site people have complained about being able to find gas stations that can accommodate a 25' trailer. Being a newbie to RVing I of course freaked out. The truck is coming with a 36 gallon tank so perhaps that is enough and I will just have to look for truck stops for refuelling.

big rigs buy that much daily..

Three quotes by three different folks. I see this correlation and am always amused by the idea that tank range and bladder range have something to do with one another. At work I may buy $500 or more in fuel per day. And cover 1,200-miles in a thirty-plus hour sprint that also means crossing 60-100 miles of a giant North American city several times. At 77,000-lbs. And an average of 5-mpg. With next to no choices about where to pull over for very long periods/distances. One need plan before setting out.

Bladder range and specified rest breaks have only to do with time (and thus slightly related to distance for planning purposes). We buy from designated retailers. Thus, one must know in advance where they are located and be able to predict ones arrival. To the point one can calculate where one will be in several days time despite problems encountered enroute.

The day is broken out into legs when against the clock. How close is the only difference between work and pleasure.

(I just came in from one of these. Started two hours ahead of another driver and wound up a good eleven hours ahead of him. And was able to get under another load which he couldn't. For the same number of hours worked I made a very good deal more money. And we were both away from home the same amount of time. This was experience, but tempered by safe practice in a number of areas. How to pace ones self, you could say. Had I known he was dispatched to the same customer I'd have seen to it that his inexperience was helped by my experience but I was unaware of his situation until a day too late. By phone I cleared up some of his troubles and saw to it that he shortened the times/distances and had his stops planned properly. Truck driving is a good back pocket career, but it has a steep learning curve. With some "new legs" that mans day improved. As did mine years ago with the help of others).

Two hours is the maximum one should travel between rest breaks. They may not be more than 10-15" in length, but one should adhere to that advisory religiously. This is best safe practice as one needs to take ones temperature. And adjust accordingly.

At four hours, one needs be out of the vehicle for one hour or longer. As RV travel is best described as 300-miles or 3 o'clock for the days duration the mid-day one-hour break can correlate with the fuel fill. And dinner ("lunch" for you non-Texans). Wise practice.

Actual fuel consumed is beside the point. I don't care whether the Peterbilt takes on 77-gls or 137-gls if it otherwise fits into the itinerary. I use a maximum of 600-miles as that correlates with maximum fuel purchase per day approved. But rarely come close to that distance, even on a maximum effort day. One needs about 30-minutes total to pump this much fuel, buy typically cardboard fast food, vist the restroom and start grabbing gears again . . we also have a maximum number of driving hours within a set number of work hours. That is of greater importance.

The greater range of an RV due to increased fuel capacity means flexibility in choosing the day to re-fuel over other considerations. Making the choice of where to buy is the advantage as I see it over exclusively when.

It wouldn't occur to me to travel solo without knowing in advance my stops -- I'd much rather stop at what to me are nice places, whether state rest areas or fuel retailers or "road food" emporiums of the local variety -- as vacation and personal travel means the luxury of just this approach!!

Fuel range is one of several particulars which define a trip plan. Stopping when one wants to stop, or wandering off on a sdie road is all part of vacation travel. Planning takes all of this into account!!

I would not be able to emphasize enough how easy it is to correlate the factors involved in time, distances and stops plus the differences in whatever manner one wants to travel. Give it a shot!

Great big fuel tankage is not an end in itself. It is but the increase of a margin. And only that.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote