Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
TransferFlow is in Chico, CA. 1-800-442-0056. They should answer all your questions. Very helpful people.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Thanks, I did find them and called them. The best they can do is install the tank but it would be a tank with a nozzle etc. No automatic transfer. The smallest tank that they have that would fit is 82 gallons. I was really looking for a 30-40 gallon tank. For EPA reasons a diesel tank is no problem. Different story with a gasoline tank.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Sorry to hear that. I thought that if anyone could help you it would be TransferFlow.

It seems that a few years ago, they had lots of tanks for gasoline applications.

Guess the laws have changed.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
When my father got his TransferFlow gasoline tank there was a minimum GVWR requirement which excluded most 1/2 ton trucks from legally getting one.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
" . . I got a transfer flow 50 gallon in bed tank, which gives me a 140% increase in capacity. "

I may have missed what truck you have. That is a lot of fuel that with the tank filled so you'd want to know how much reserve you have -- if any -- on the rear axle / tire ratings. Some before & after passes across a CAT Scale will give you an idea. It may be that you are unable to top off the auxiliary tank even with WD dialled in correctly and the usual load for camping aboard your truck.

And no one should forget that raising the center-of-gravity on a vehicle already compromised in this fashion needs to be respected. USDOT may not pay a great deal of atttention (and few states do), but fuel in the bed of the truck is a caution no matter the tank or the mount, etc.

There is no free lunch. 50/gls may not be much, but the 90's and bigger ARE a concern.

Frame mounts are to be preferred over the bed mounts. The "leverage" against the tires remaining in contact with the road is reduced even with more fuel carried than in a bed mount.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Hi all,

I have a question. If you decide to replace your factory tank (mine is a Ram 2012), what would you do with your old tank. Is it worth anything, can it be traded or sold?

Thanks
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
My 1 month old 2011 F-350 26 gallon tank was cut up and tossed out - not worth a damn....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #28
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
I have a short bed 5.5' which increased my option problems. In addition I have a Leer Cap on the bed so I am not sure if gasoline fumes would be a problem. Even if I find something that will fit still debating the safety issues with an in bed gasoline tank.

Again, diesel is not a problem for there a many options for that fuel.

Thanks everyone for your 2 cents. Keep the ideas coming.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Just setup some "on-road" fueling just like what occurs "in-air" with Naval & AirFarce aircraft when flying for further distances then what their "bubbles" aka droptanks can provide for.

Perhaps a retractable probe extending out of the truck cap with a piercing front end, see a tanker on the road and puncture the side, fuel up - then get the heck out of there just like in a Mad Max movie....

JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
I have a short bed 5.5' which increased my option problems. In addition I have a Leer Cap on the bed so I am not sure if gasoline fumes would be a problem. Even if I find something that will fit still debating the safety issues with an in bed gasoline tank.

Again, diesel is not a problem for there a many options for that fuel.

Thanks everyone for your 2 cents. Keep the ideas coming.
You may want to check J.C. Witney for larger replacement tanks for gas if you run out of options for an inbed tank. I had doubled the capacity of a van I used to have by swaping out the OEM tank to a larger aftermarket unit. When I did that I lost the extra space for the spare and had to carry that inside.
It was a cheep solution and had no computers and no way to tell how much fuel was in the tank till it was half full, then it would start to register on the OEM gauge. I used it that way for many years and never a problem.

On my present truck with diesel and an in bed tank with a cap on the bed, I have no fumes as the fumes are vented outside the truck bed. So if you do find a inbed tank that suits your need, just make sure it has a way to vent the fumes directly from the tank to the outside. Mine does it in 2 places, at the overfill at the fuel fill up and also with a tube that passes directly from the tank thru the bed to underneath of the truck.

On edit, rethinking the vent underneath the truck may not be such a good idea with gas fumes. It might be worth a question or 2 to the manufacture though.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #31
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Larger fuel tanks used to be a common mod in the 1970s but federal regulations, both DOT on fire safety and EPA on evaporative emissions, sent those the way of the dodo, especially for gasoline fueled vehicles. The prices on oversize replacement diesel tanks from Transfer Flow and Titan reflect the considerable compliance costs these companies incur.

Yes you can get in-bed refuelling tanks. They are rated for diesel only but many people put gasoline in them. I wouldn't.

Federal regulations prohibit installing any fuel tank with a gravity discharge or any sort of connection for transferring fuel to another tank on the vehicle. In practice the only two legal choices are a larger replacement tank or a refueling tank in the bed that can be used to manually refuel the main tank while stopped.

Refueling tanks pose a risk of contamination and stale fuel so you can't just fill it and leave it -- you have to rotate the fuel through it regularly even if you aren't in a situation where you really need to use it.

With the prices of these mods, the hassle, etc., it's not worth it IMO unless you're out in extremely remote areas or have a truck with unusually poor range with its factory tank.

My Suburban came with dual fuel tanks from the factory providing 38 gallons of capacity total. It's a well-engineered setup, they fill from the same location, switch automatically, and the fuel gauge shows the total.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Aux Fuel Tank

We purchased the ATI Aux Tank and have been very pleased. They have a lot of options. Locking fuel cap, fuel gauge, shutoff valve on the tank, filler neck filler with ball valve. We ask for a couple of custom changes to our tank and the company was very accommodating. The installation was very simple and we have had no leaks or other problems.

www.atitank.com
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #33
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Where is your tank installed? In bed or under your tow vehicle?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
My 2012 Dodge fuel gage could not be calibrated to the new tank capacity. However, the trip meter has two tracker areas and one is reset with each refueling. Since I record gallons and mileage on my iPhone (info floats over to the iPads as well), I have a good idea what the real mpg is. With 56 gallons, I figure I could get over 600 miles. That is longer than ten hours. Great range, except my bladder can not last that long. So that tends to color my range as I usually refill the truck tank when I empty mine.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #35
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
What got me started on this is on this site people have complained about being able to find gas stations that can accommodate a 25' trailer. Being a newbie to RVing I of course freaked out. The truck is coming with a 36 gallon tank so perhaps that is enough and I will just have to look for truck stops for refuelling.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #36
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I think you'll find that the 36 gal is adequate or most of your travels. In my Dodge I have a 34 gal tank. Like already mentioned by that time I need a stop anyway to stretch my legs if nothing else. I've rarely had difficulty finding a station with enough room and I have a 30'er. Yes some are tight and I've had to by-pass a few too but usually I can find one without too much trouble

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Read the owner's manual

Whatever brand of diesel TV is acquired, carefully read the owner's manual, specifically in the fuel area to see what percentage bio-diesel may be used without voiding the warranty. Note that Love's truck stops clearly state on their dispensing pumps for both big rigs and the car side that their fuel may contain from 5% to 15% bio-diesel.

My 2012 Dodge manual states a tolerance for up to 5% bio-diesel for the Cummins. Using a higher percentage can void the warranty for engine damage caused by a higher percentage of bio-diesel.

YMMV

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 06-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
switz,

I am just wondering if you had the Titian 60 gal. replacement tank installed in your 2012 Dodge? I am considering this option and was told that the new capacity could be calibrated for accurate reading of the fuel gage.

Is there something I missed, don't understand, or we talking about different models.

Also, are you aware of any warranty issues with your replacement tank?

Thanks for any info.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
The largest Titan diesel tank for the 2012 Dodge diesel short bed truck in January 2013 was the 54 gallon tank. Their 60 gallon tank fits a long bed truck. Any leaks from the tank itself fall on the Titan warranty. All the mechanical and electric parts associated with the fuel pump are switched over in their entirety, so those would still be Dodge's responsibility. However, I added a Cummins water separator filter between the tank and the engine fuel filter and a two micron Cummins fuel filter between the engine fuel filter and the cp2. In less traveled areas, one can encounter less than pristine fuel.

I was told that there was no way to calibrate the fuel system for distance to empty. However, the fuel level seems close. I use a sub trip meter to check miles on the fillup and know approximately the mpg at every stop. The truck's range far exceeds my personal range between stops....

I also retrofitted both an engine oil auxiliary filter and an auxiliary transmission fluid filter. I am not extending service intervals and in fact plan to change more often. Oil has always been cheaper than main bearings replacement.

All steel springs were removed from the truck and replaced with Firestone airbags as part of the complete level ride Kelderman suspension package that also includes an air storage tank with compressor, so I have an outlet on the back of the truck to connect an air hose for trailer tire and truck tire inflation. The front stabilizer bar was replaced with a stronger unit and the steering gear box support was reinforced. Dodge would not warranty the suspension changes.

A warranty issue discussion might be interesting as Dodge attempts to weasel out of responsibility for anything except perhaps a window crank.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Thanks for your explanation. I do have a long bed. At least, the info the salesman told me is accurate concerning the calibration. Also, I had no clue about the options for the fuel and transmission filter. Who retrofitted your engine oil auxiliary filter and an auxiliary transmission fluid filter, you or Dodge?

You have made some serious changes. I did consider the "Banks" Cold Air System and the Exhaust system. When all was said and done, I decided against it. Based on the cost (parts alone about $850) for only one or two miles increase, to me, does not justified the cost.