Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2005, 06:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Unhappy Extended Vans

I have an opportunity for a 1996 3/4 ton extended van.

I did some searching of the forum and found a little that is about as clear as mud.
This is what I know;
My Chevy Caprice is rated at 5000 lbs and towed wonderfully.
This van is rated at 7500 lbs, so it should do well.

I read something about the 3 feet of over-hang from the rear axle to the hitch may cause problems. If this is true what problems would they be?? Also, would I have to change out my 800 lbs trunion arms for a different weight rating because of the vehicle change??

I'm not looking to start a debate in best tow vehicle, just some insight on extended vans.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Love my extended van. Tows like a dream with no problems.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:36 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I used to tow with a 1 ton extended van, which was set up for towing. I liked it a lot.
The overhang makes turning corners easier, without having to make a very wide swing. The extra room in the van was great for people like me who hate packing things tightly. Just put it in the back - bikes and all.
I believe that it towed smoothly because of the shape of the van, and the resulting airflow over the trailer.
Some of the pictures in my gallery might still show this van.
I tow with a Suburban now. Besides that the Suburban is easier and more economical to drive daily, it is not an improvement over the old van.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Extended Vans

Greetings Till!

The two things that would be of concern are is the van a Conversion, and/or does it have a rear-mounted spare tire carrier? One of my previous (1983) tow vehicles was a G20 GMC conversion van - - the conversion added so much weight that the hitch weight pushed the rear axle over its maximum rated capacity. In my case, the van was a standard wheelbase/non-extended van, but it had the rear-mounted spare tire carrier - - the drawbar was extended to provide clearance between the van's spare tire and the trailer's LP tanks - - this was enough to upset the balance on that trailer (it was the Nomad that I had prior to purchasing the Airstream) and sway was an issue. If the van isn't a conversion and doesn't have the rear-mounted spare, I wouldn't be excessively worried with your Reese Dual Cam system.

One thing that I might suggest if you routinely have a mechanic perform your regular maintenance, is to check with your mechanic to determine whether there will be signficant extra cost for routine service. My mechanic charged an extra .5 hour whenever he serviced my van because the interior doghouse had to be removed to service the air cleaner and pollution controls.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
It is not a conversion, but does not have a rear mount spare. The spare is an under mount. I'm sure that my mechanic will not up charge for the van service. I have known him since we were 10.

Thank you for all the input! I hope that his works out.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 01-27-2005, 07:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Clear as Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
I have an opportunity for a 1996 3/4 ton extended van.
Tedd -

My belief is that, on an engine, there is no substitute for cubic inches, and on a tow vehicle, there are no substitutes for Wheel Base and Mass.

Quote:
I read something about the 3 feet of over-hang from the rear axle to the hitch may cause problems. If this is true what problems would they be?? Also, would I have to change out my 800 lbs trunion arms for a different weight rating because of the vehicle change??
Tedd -

I think you should really study the several recent threads about "over hitched" and "Weight Equalizers".

It is good that we at the Forums are fortunate to have "Inland Andy" share his many years of AS experience, it is also fortunate that there are others that express the "rest of the story" (or, at least, the "other side of the coin").

Having said that, there very well COULD BE ISSUES with the extended van.

Any time you add length between the rear axle (fixed point) and the hitch ball (movement freedom (albeit limited) in ALL axes except the longitudinal (surge) axis) - you add potential problems.

Remember the saying about the fulcrum and lever - given a long enough lever (distance between the axle and hitch) you could move the earth.

Besides primary sway, pitch, and heave, secondary systems come into play - the worst I could imagine would be a panic stop (the one maneuver that proponents of “too light of a tow vehicle” choose to ignore, focusing, rather, on raw horsepower - how fast will it accelerate and how fast will it go).

In a panic stop, nose dive will be at a maximum, meaning that the hitch will be raised to some height ABOVE normal – the more overhang, the higher the hitch will PROBABLY be raised. All sorts of variable dynamics are raised here – suspension type(s) – both front and rear - , total overall length from front and rear axle to hitch, total suspension range between stops, suspension sway control, suspension geometries, straight axle’s vs independent suspensions – the list goes on and on.

The point is, that in a panic stop (max nosedive) the angle presented between the TV and the trailer COULD BE great enough to unload the equalizing bars - then the sway starts - …..the old saying “quickly going to hell in a handbasket” comes to mind here.

As Andy (Inland RV) pointed out in several previous threads, his studies with Caravanner proved that this is not a good thing.

I believe that a major problem is that given the HUGE variables of TV chassis design (see list of variable dynamics above), accurately predicting the proper “Exact” amount of “bar load” (or even the proper weight bars themselves) would probably be quite difficult (recall Andy’s studies here – he found (I believe) that in some cases a lighter than anticipated bar actually worked better on some tow vehicles that a heavier one). What I am thinking is that a lightly sprung extended rear ¾ ton would “need” much lighter designed bars than, for example, my heavy sprung 1 ton cabriolet – the bars for the extended rear end and lightly sprung TV would have to be “Lighter” – 500 lb bars instead of 700 lb bars - so that the driver/operator could bring the bars closer to the bottom of trailer frame (bring the bars up under tension one or two chain links) in order to insure the equalizing bars remain under tension during the extreme TV to Trailer angle increase caused by the worst case panic braking scenario (max. nosedive).

Then again, on the other hand….heavier bars would tend to LIMIT the amount of nose dive, since more weight would be transferred to the trailer's axles to START with...then again, in a nose dive, the arms would STILL unload - but how much????

These are my thoughts only – no engineering analysis – no field trials – just one possible scenario for argument within the “my rig is better than your rig” piscing and spitting contest.

Given your trailer size and weight, I would think (off the top of my head only) that you would be happy with the ¾ ton extended van – I would, however, limit the speed much closer to 60mph than to 65mph – always err on the side of safety and caution. Take into account all of the comments here in the Forum - especially Inland RV's input - study the websites of the various hitch manufacturers - and draw your own conclusions.

Quote:
I'm not looking to start a debate in best tow vehicle, just some insight on extended vans.
I have owned extended vans in the past (3/4 and 1 ton) - before the "heavy half", 3/4 ton, and 1 ton distinctions became blurred, but I REALLY like my present "heavy half" Ford (short) conversion van. Having towed with both my current 1 ton diesel dually cabriolet/PU and the "heavy half" conversion van - there really is no comparison between the two - apples to oranges - two entirely different vehicles - I can say, though, with 800 lbs or so on the hitch and a few hundred pounds in the bed the one-ton rides MUCH better than it does unloaded - again no accelerometer studies, but I really do not believe the 1 ton is transferring a huge amount of "road chatter" to the frame of the trailer.

Good luck in your decision.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:46 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think there are two classes of extended vans on the market. Ford and Dodge extended vans have the additional length added on to the van. The wheel base remains the same as the standard length vans. The GM extended vans actually have a longer wheel base which makes the vans look much more proportional. Personally I would believe that the extended wheelbase would add to the stability of the van although it would affect the turning radius.

I drove an extended Dodge passenger van a few years ago for a couple of hours and it didn't seem to exhibit any nasty handling traits.

Quite honestly the GM vans built before the major body change that I think came in the late 90's handled much better. I had a '88 Chevy Beauville passenger van which I considered the best towing van I ever owned.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Having towed with an Impala (same as your Caprice), the larger 1000lb bars are kind of required as the suspension is sooo soft. I found that after I got the 3/4 ton Burb, that the 1000# bars barely flexed at all. Now keep in mind, I since downgraded my bars to 800# (or maybe they are (750s)bars. The hitch weight is about 800lbs (factory listed at 750lbs). I find that the 800 bars do have some flex to them, keep the Dual Cam HP in place and operational. Though it may be the right thing to do, I am not entirely comfortable putting on 500lb bars on.

I'll tell you this Till, the Caprice has the raw guts to pull 8k if it had to, particularly if you do all the bells and whistles to it. The first time you tow with a 3/4 truck or van, you'll wonder why you wasted so long doing it regardless of overhang. I spent about $3k getting my Impala to be able to pull 6300lbs (basically swatted a fly with a sledgehammer) and now find it was a $3k lesson. I'd go for it particularly if it had all the other gear with it (gears, trailer pkg, trans cooler, etc). I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
The point is, that in a panic stop (max nosedive) the angle presented between the TV and the trailer COULD BE great enough to unload the equalizing bars - then the sway starts - …..the old saying “quickly going to hell in a handbasket” comes to mind here.
that would be some interesting up and down angles!

In a panic stop, your best safety is in good trailer brakes and a well adjusted brake controller. The only thing better than this is not getting into a situation where a panic stop is needed.

I don't think sway bars are going to help in a panic stop such as you described as they don't prevent jacknifing. The forces involved are much larger than a simple turn in a corner that is in no way inhibited by sway control mechanisms. If sway control won't stop you from going around a corner it certainly isn't going to keep the rig straight in a panic stop or sudden maneuver.

No matter what type of sway control, from Hensley to friction, once you get an angle between the tow vehicle and the trailer with large forces on each end (as in panic braking without strong trailer brakes) the whole rig is going to fold.

A van can make a very good tow vehicle, even a heavily loaded and top heavy B van such as the Airstream B190 (ca 89-99 rip). An extended van will usually benefit from good sway control due to the long differential to ball distance that aggravates instabilities. All of the other factors in terms of handling, rigging, and specs need due consideration as well.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Arrow When it rains, it pours.

OK, points well taken, but (there is always a but, isn't there??)

I have new information to add, the guy I was talking to didn't give me the right information. Here it is;
1996 Super Clubwagon E-350 (read one ton)
GVWR 9500 lbs
5.8 L (351 C.I.D.) 205-210 HP
Full floating rear, 3.54 gears.
Level one tow package I'm still looking into this one to find out what it is.

So, I guess all of the above input is not completely wasted, but will be re-read and checked against the new facts.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 01-28-2005, 05:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
a 351 engine with a 3.54 rear is likely to be a bit weak for towing, I think.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 07:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

An E-350 van with a 3.55 rear end has a gross towing weight of 16,000 pounds. You will most always be towing near or at gross weight. A 4.10 rear end has a 20,000 poung gross towing weight. The fuel mileage with a 4.10 rear end is really poor. I have a 3.55 rear end and get about 12 MPG. Anti lock brakes is a must have !!! I have been in a panic stop and the trailer followed behind nicely while the Airstream brakes were locked tires smoking and the van manuvered with total control around the stupid driver that decided to stop on the freeway saving the rig and my day. Remember.... Get, Anti-Lock Brakes.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:12 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
Extended vans

I just placed an order for my 8th van, seven of which were extended. Love them for all they do. In my Ford with one bench seat in you can still put a piece of plywood in the back. Just remember in the winter it is like a pick-up a little light in the rear end, just add a little weight and it handles fine. Specs on the van you describe are fine except the level one hitch. Level one is the bumber hitch and not recommended for heavy trailers. You need a level III or IV hitch, which could be added easily.
Good luck,
stagecoachbill
stagecoachbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Love My E-350 SuperDuty Diesel

Till,

With a large family (#7 due next month), we have no choice but the extended van. Best thing we ever did! The room is wonderful, and my wife loves being able to see out and be taller than most everyone else. There are some handling considerations that are just common sense (avoid sudden swerving, high speed cornering, etc.) . From '99 on anyway (maybe before, I'm not sure), they come with 4 wheel disc, anti-lock brakes.

We started with a '99 (in 2001) with the 5.4 gas engine, 3:55 rear end which was great until we started towing the Airstream. Tow mileage was in the 8-9 mpg range and it really had to work on any hills so last summer, I started looking for a used E-350 with a PowerStroke in it. Found a 2001 in California with 88K (still under warranty), had it shipped (a friend checked it out for me), and have never looked back. I installed some 2004 factory towing extending mirrors (like on F-250), slapped some factory Alcoas on it, hooked it up to the Overlander, and towed it on a 3300 mile trip this summer to Colo Spgs and back. It pulled like a freight train and with the load equalization bars, I barely knew it was back there once we achieved highway speed. Average fuel consumption was 10-12 mpg (@60-70mph), power was priceless. (I plan to install a 4" exhaust, AFE air filters, and a programmer which should increase performance noticeably) Without tow, mileage averages between 15.5-18 mpg.

I've never towed it with a pick-up so I can't compare, but I can't imagine it towing any better. We just returned from a trip to Jacksonville two weeks ago, and I can't count the number of times I commented how well it towed to my wife. Ford owns the full size van market in my book and I'm not aware of a diesel being offered in any of the others.

My recommendation is to not be in a hurry and do a nationwide search to find one with a diesel (if you plan to tow a lot, you'll get better power and torque, more performance options, better mileage, and usually a better transmission). I am certainly happy with my mine (102K now).

Below, ascending out of Palo Duro Canyon, Amarillo, TX this past summer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	july 047a.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	10247  
Attached Images

PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 07:42 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Till, to put it into perspective, if I recall, you are not towing anywhere near 8k. The 5.8L w/ 3.54s will do just fine in your application if you are not near 8k. Dare I say far better than your Caprice of a rated 5k without any mods. The full floating axle is good, but really isn't gonna do much in your particular app. Can't hurt though. I've read that the 1 tons can be a bit harsh, but all you'd really have to do is take out one (maybe two) leaf(s) off the rear spring if you really had to.

There are folks here towing with 6.0L 3.73 GM trucks and though your van has about 90 less horsepower and possible less torque than the GM 6.0L, again, I'd be shocked if you're towing at ot more than 8k including gear, passengers, etc that you'd really see any problem. Even the GM 5.3L 1/2 ton w/ 3.73s is rated in a Suburban for 7400lbs.

The one area where I'd like to see 4.10s with that particular engine is if you planned to go to places like the Rockies. There 3.54s might be a bit shy, but for normal everyday use and towing in most areas, I think you'd be fine.

BTW, regarding a diesel, great power, perfomance, MPG towing, check with Norby. He has one too. I know he tows his coach all over creation and could also provide good feedback.

I agree that you should take your time on this one since it could be something you're gonna have in the stable a little while.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:45 AM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Tedd,
We use the Extended vans at work for crew vans, alll of ours are set up for towing, some are after thought set up, but they all tow up to around 6k with no issues. They are all V-8 some are the older 351 and at least one is the newer 5.4. Rear ends range from 3.55 to 4.10's. The 4.10 is in the oldest one that is refered to as "the beast"...smells like one too but that is another issue. I really like Ron's setup, hard to beat.

Ron,
How did you all like the Palo Duro? We went thru there back in Sept of 03 and had a blast. Get a chance to see the museum in Canyon?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Palo Duro

Aaron,

Palo Duro was neat! We did walk through the museum and took pictures at the top and bottom. We didn't even know it was there until the KOA people told us about it. It is second only to the Grand Canyon in size, in the US anyway, maybe more (I can't remember).

Unfortunately, we were on such a tight schedule (another story and lesson learned), we didn't spend much time there. There is a campground at the bottom that we drove by.

Like most Airstreamers, we purchased ours to travel, not camp out at the lake (although it does work for that also). We have put at least 5000 miles on it since we purchased it a year ago (not to mention all the restorations, replacements, and remods) and I really couldn't be happier with the towing setup. I was very intimidated with the diesel idea at first, as I know very little about them (I'm learning). While I hated to see the Silver Bullet go (my old silver 5.4 gas E-350), I'm very pleased with the replacement. And I am definitely of the mind that I'd rather have more power and towing capacity than I need, than near or at capacity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	palodurokids.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	10248   Click image for larger version

Name:	breakfast.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	10249  

Old 01-29-2005, 11:34 AM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Ron,
That was the same KOA we stayed in...did the bunnies come vist you all? Amarillo is one place I defintely want to go back and visit again. Santa Fe Railroad has a museum there with IIRC the largest steam locomotive ever built, the museum I was refering to was the one in Canyon, TX (just up the road) it has a massive collection of Texas history from dinosaurs to electric cars to wedding gowns, basically anything to do with that area of Texas.

We plan to travel in ours too, but right now we are using it as yard art

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Ron,

Just had to say you got one beautiful family. Six? And four of the them boys close in age? Well I bet that makes for some interesting roadtrips. I remember mine with my brothers and my mom's famous line, "you boys stop it right now or your father will reach back with his long arms..." Never could figure out how my dad could drive and reach all the way to the back seat of the stationwagon but sure never wanted to find out. I knew somehow he could manage it. Oh, what stories there were!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Exclamation Amarillo KOA & Road Justice

Aaron,

We didn't see any rabbits but we remember the airplanes taking off and landing, as well as the nice swimming pool. Wish we'd known about the museums, but we probably wouldn't have had the time anyway.

Big Dee,

Another feature of the extended van (just to keep with the thread) is the space available to administer the love and justice that all boys so often require. Unfortunately, there is no safe way to accomplish this without pulling over. While I've found that it can affect eta, it generally assures us of a quieter and more pleasant ride.