Old 01-29-2005, 08:42 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Till, to put it into perspective, if I recall, you are not towing anywhere near 8k. The 5.8L w/ 3.54s will do just fine in your application if you are not near 8k. Dare I say far better than your Caprice of a rated 5k without any mods. The full floating axle is good, but really isn't gonna do much in your particular app. Can't hurt though. I've read that the 1 tons can be a bit harsh, but all you'd really have to do is take out one (maybe two) leaf(s) off the rear spring if you really had to.

There are folks here towing with 6.0L 3.73 GM trucks and though your van has about 90 less horsepower and possible less torque than the GM 6.0L, again, I'd be shocked if you're towing at ot more than 8k including gear, passengers, etc that you'd really see any problem. Even the GM 5.3L 1/2 ton w/ 3.73s is rated in a Suburban for 7400lbs.

The one area where I'd like to see 4.10s with that particular engine is if you planned to go to places like the Rockies. There 3.54s might be a bit shy, but for normal everyday use and towing in most areas, I think you'd be fine.

BTW, regarding a diesel, great power, perfomance, MPG towing, check with Norby. He has one too. I know he tows his coach all over creation and could also provide good feedback.

I agree that you should take your time on this one since it could be something you're gonna have in the stable a little while.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:45 AM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Tedd,
We use the Extended vans at work for crew vans, alll of ours are set up for towing, some are after thought set up, but they all tow up to around 6k with no issues. They are all V-8 some are the older 351 and at least one is the newer 5.4. Rear ends range from 3.55 to 4.10's. The 4.10 is in the oldest one that is refered to as "the beast"...smells like one too but that is another issue. I really like Ron's setup, hard to beat.

Ron,
How did you all like the Palo Duro? We went thru there back in Sept of 03 and had a blast. Get a chance to see the museum in Canyon?

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Palo Duro

Aaron,

Palo Duro was neat! We did walk through the museum and took pictures at the top and bottom. We didn't even know it was there until the KOA people told us about it. It is second only to the Grand Canyon in size, in the US anyway, maybe more (I can't remember).

Unfortunately, we were on such a tight schedule (another story and lesson learned), we didn't spend much time there. There is a campground at the bottom that we drove by.

Like most Airstreamers, we purchased ours to travel, not camp out at the lake (although it does work for that also). We have put at least 5000 miles on it since we purchased it a year ago (not to mention all the restorations, replacements, and remods) and I really couldn't be happier with the towing setup. I was very intimidated with the diesel idea at first, as I know very little about them (I'm learning). While I hated to see the Silver Bullet go (my old silver 5.4 gas E-350), I'm very pleased with the replacement. And I am definitely of the mind that I'd rather have more power and towing capacity than I need, than near or at capacity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	palodurokids.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	10248   Click image for larger version

Name:	breakfast.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	10249  

PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:34 PM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Ron,
That was the same KOA we stayed in...did the bunnies come vist you all? Amarillo is one place I defintely want to go back and visit again. Santa Fe Railroad has a museum there with IIRC the largest steam locomotive ever built, the museum I was refering to was the one in Canyon, TX (just up the road) it has a massive collection of Texas history from dinosaurs to electric cars to wedding gowns, basically anything to do with that area of Texas.

We plan to travel in ours too, but right now we are using it as yard art

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Ron,

Just had to say you got one beautiful family. Six? And four of the them boys close in age? Well I bet that makes for some interesting roadtrips. I remember mine with my brothers and my mom's famous line, "you boys stop it right now or your father will reach back with his long arms..." Never could figure out how my dad could drive and reach all the way to the back seat of the stationwagon but sure never wanted to find out. I knew somehow he could manage it. Oh, what stories there were!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Exclamation Amarillo KOA & Road Justice

Aaron,

We didn't see any rabbits but we remember the airplanes taking off and landing, as well as the nice swimming pool. Wish we'd known about the museums, but we probably wouldn't have had the time anyway.

Big Dee,

Another feature of the extended van (just to keep with the thread) is the space available to administer the love and justice that all boys so often require. Unfortunately, there is no safe way to accomplish this without pulling over. While I've found that it can affect eta, it generally assures us of a quieter and more pleasant ride.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Quote:
Another feature of the extended van (just to keep with the thread) is the space available to administer the love and justice that all boys so often require. Unfortunately, there is no safe way to accomplish this without pulling over. While I've found that it can affect eta, it generally assures us of a quieter and more pleasant ride.
AMEN!!! That is one of the big advantages to having a van let alone an extended van. With the extra space for the kids to spread out a little, the trip is a lot more pleasant.

I'm guessing that I will just hold tight and if the van deal works out I will give Fogdall (sp?) a call about hitching the Ambassalander to the extendo-van.

As a side note, my list of places to visit is growing every day that I read this forum.

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote