Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Extended Cab or Crew Cab 2500HD w/Duramax for TV???

Now that I have realized that I will need a new TV I would like input as to the practical benefits/differences between a CC regular (short) box or an extended cab short (regular) box. (Seems what used to be called the short box is now called the "regular" box...vs the "long" box.)

I have to admit to liking the looks of the extended cab better...but wonder if the practicality of the four door CC is worth the extra "bulky"...just my opinion...appearance.

The TV will be used primarily as my daily vehicle and occassionally for grandkids (or others) in the back seat...oldest grandkid is 12 years at this date.

I guess there is some towing advatage to the extra length of the CC?

I assume an extended cab 2500HD with Duramax could tow any (34'?) AS. I do not plan on a 34' but would like to know I had that flexibility???

Thanks for the continuing education...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Tom,

I've got a 2006 GMC 2500HD Extended Cab with Allison/Duramax. Box length for extended & club cabs are the same. The truck length looks to be almost 10" longer for the club cab. There are minor theoretical differences in towing ability due to this difference in wheelbase, but you'd never lack with either model actually. We've gone into the Twin Cities (75 miles) with two people on the rear bench seats. They said that's about as far as they'd want to go but it was actually okay. Of course the only way to carry more than two people long distance would be the club cab.

The club cab seats are fixed and have supports bolted between the seats and the floor. The extended cap seats fold up. We have to have that feature so that the dogs can ride on the floor back there. We don't really have plans for extended traveling with more than the two of us. There are more seating options with either 3/4-ton full sized van or Suburban.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Tom--We have a 4 dr. short or standard box Alis-Duro Chev that we tow a 30' Classic with. It's also our daily and only vehicle. The fact it's our only is the prim reason for going 4 dr. I agree, I think the extended is a bit better looking but we choose function over appearance. As to length I think you'll find ,if they haven't changed them, the wheel base of the 4 dr short bed is the same as the extended long. They do make a 4 dr long wheel base also. There is another advantage to the extended-long bed that being it has a larger fuel tank. I think its 34gal as oposed to the 26 in the short bed. It has to do with fitment as there isn't room for the bigger tank with the longer cab. Also if you should ever need to put a 5th wheel hitch in the bed the longer is better as the short bed requires a sliding type hitch. Perhaps someone can chime in here as to how they pull 34's but based on my experience with our 30' Classic I don't think there would be a problem.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've PM'ed hookedonclassic and asked Rich to look in on this post when he's around. He drives a similar rig with a new 34'.

I have had experience seeing a couple club cab long beds -- not everyday vehicles! They have the turning radius of an aircraft carrier.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
I've PM'ed hookedonclassic and asked Rich to look in on this post when he's around. He drives a similar rig with a new 34'.

I have had experience seeing a couple club cab long beds -- not everyday vehicles! They have the turning radius of an aircraft carrier.
There used to be a song that reminded me of them, something about ,"give me 40 acres to turn this rig around". ----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Turning radius

Quote:

It may not mean much - but I believe my 2003 GMC crew cab 4 x 4, with the long bed, will turn inside my 1995 Silverado 4 x 4 extended cab with the short bed. I wouldn't swear by that observation but I haven't found the 2003 GMC to be a problem with respect to maneuverability in an open area. As to "It may not mean much -" the earlier model GM 4 x 4 pickups were not known for a tight turning radius! The real problem with the 2003 beast comes when you try to fit it into a slot on the average multiple lane parking area. There simply isn't enought room in most of the aisles to get all of that body out of or into the slot. For the same reason, some campgrounds can be a real challenge for the long body when maneuvering a long trailer. But hey - that's when the fun begins!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I had a '94 Chevy extended cab and currently have an '04 Duramax 4 door. Both are 4wd.

I was planning to buy another extended cab. But I learned the following:
1) People I barely knew were calling to tell me to get a 4 door.
2) People who are in a position to know told me that the resale values are not even close - used buyers want 4 door models also.
3) No one ever buys a 4 door and then goes back to an extended cab.

There is no question that the turning radius on the new Chevy is much smaller than the '94 - even with the longer wheelbase.

Mark
Old 09-02-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
In June we set out to buy an extended cab and 6 1/2 foot box, and ended up with crew cab and long box. We knew we were planning a 3 week trip that would include 3 or 4 passengers. Sitting in the back of the '06 extended cab made me wonder If I liked these people at all. If I did, I would not expect them to ride there for 4,000 miles!

We are very happy with the rig we bought. The fifth person, sitting in the center of the back seat is less comfortable than the other two rear positions.

Compared to the '99 suburban we replaced, it has a much larger turning radius. I echo the description of parking in a lot where the turn is 90 degrees. I'm learning.

I did not have a hint of sway in the entire trip, unlike the suburban that would like to have put us in the ditch once. Pulling 31' classic with the box failrly full of camping supplies and 4-5 passengers it did nicely. Being new, the mileage was 10.2 mpg for the trip. I expect that to come up. Am doing 14 on interstate not towing.

Dwight
GMC 2500HD, 6.0L, 4.10
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Very Happy With the 2500 HD Crewcab Short Bed

I find this to be a very nice tow vehicle after three Suburbans.
We leave the rear seat folded down in the dog carrier configuration (two dogs and a cat lounge in comfort). We reconfigure when we carry humans.

If you have a long trailer I suggest that you avoid the long bed/crew cab combination. At that combined length, you'll find getting in and out of many state parks a challenge. The most maneuverable combo is the extended cab/shortbed, but we opted for crew cab's passenger (dog and human) comfort.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
my wife hated the extended cab because the doors open backwards and using them in a parking lot situation when you have to load stuff was really irritating. You can load groceries into a crew cab even when it parked next to other cars.... if this is a daily driver think about getting things in and out of the truck when it is parked...
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have a 4wd crewcab with big box and dually wheels. I park way out in the open in the store parking lots. If I parked close, I would take up 4 spaces. I would not consider this big a rig for a daily driver. It tows wonderfully and teaming up with another couple or 4 grand kids in the back is great. Turning radius is not a problem, if you keep an eye out for tight spaces and do not go there. Manuvering in campgrounds has not been a problem but we do not go to the smaller old parks or county parks. We stay around the middle of the country most times and in the flat land the parks are not that compact.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Tom, we test drove both the extended and crew cabs with kids and grandkids in the back, and they voted unanimously for the crew cab-as comfortable for riding as most sedans. It's held up for passenger riding for long trips as well. Especially after your LC, you will want a comfortable riding truck! The seat in the extended cab was stiff and uncomfortable to them--and to me too when I tried it. Granted, you cannot put down the seats. We've carried our Weimaraner and German Shorthair in the back seat after covering the seats well-they loved it too Good luck deciding. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Oh, But You Can Put Down the Seats!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Granted, you cannot put down the seats. We've carried our Weimaraner and German Shorthair in the back seat after covering the seats well-they loved it too Good luck deciding. ~G
The back seat in my 2005 Chevy 2500HD is a 2/3 1/3 split. You can fold one or both forward to nest against the back of the front seats providing a nice, flat space for coolers or dogs, or both. I have a big diamond plate, heavy plastic, cargo mat that I pulled out of one my suburbans. It fits nicely and protects the carpet from dog debris. Hope this helps.
P.S. You'll never regret buying a crew-cab as long as you get the short bed.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
We really like the crew cab with the 6.5 bed. Fold down the rear seats for a huge inside storage area. Big adults are amazed at how roomy the back seat is. And the duramax rocks...
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Quote:

Just returned from a short trip up in northern Wisconsin. Beautiful weather. No fall colors yet. Anyway, back to the thread. We really like the cc/short box for our needs. The cc worked well with a trip to the Black Hills with our mothers last month. For them, it was 300 miles that was comfortable. We would have not done the trip in a extended cab. Access was important. We often travel with 3. With the 34', the extra length in the wheelbase is nice (cc vs exteneded) but I'm sure the extended cab short box would work good too. With the triple axle, I try to avoid tight turns as much as I can but it takes room to turn. For everyday driving, I like the cc with the exception of parking in tight spots. You have to remember it's a truck and not a car. I'd buy it again without reservations.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
We have two young children, so the extended cab would have been okay for us. But after looking at them and really evaluating them, we opted for the crew cab. The extra length is worth the bigger turner radias.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Tom
We have the crew cab and find it handy when we are traveling and want to take a ride with someone else to go sight seeing or out to eat. Much more comfortable than the extended cab. Also we have grandchildren and the car seat fits very well. I'm not sure if a car seat even fits in the extended cab??? I have a friend who manages a Chevrolet dealership and his comments on resale favor the crew cab. Brad
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Edgewater Park , New Jersey
I have a Chevy Crew, 4X4 , 4 wheeler, with the 6ft bed and I think it handles like some sports cars. I use to have a Dually Crew with an 8 ft bed and that was a big truck! For some reason GMC offers a slightly shorter bed ( I think its 5.5) than Chevy. Hard to believe but I compared one side by side.
FiveOJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:21 AM   #19
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Just a note: The people who rode in the back of your extended cab were being polite when they answered your query.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:27 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
just as an aside... the mega cab dodge ram is pretty amazing for back seat comfort. I had a ride in one and it is better than a limosine because it is easier to get in. The one I rode in was a 3/4 ton two wheel drive and wasn't even that hard of a step up

Mike

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote