Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rocky Mount , Virginia
Expedition v. Excursion?

I've been towing our 1966 24' Barth trailer with my '98 5.4 Expy for the last few years. I'm relatively happy with it, with 2 kids I like the accessible enclosed rear area of the SUV as opposed to my old extended cab with a shell. The Expy is my daily driver and another thing I like in that aspect is the turning radius, being able to get into a parking place. I'm at 225K now and thinking about getting something else. I've thought alot about another Expy but one of my frustrations is that overdrive is not recommended for towing and going 60 mph gets old on long trips. I pulled about 4k miles last year. The appealing thing about the Excursion is that it would be able to tow at higher speed and I'm guessing it would pull hills better than the Expy with a V10 or diesel. My impression is that the Excursion would be similar to my Ex Cab Chevy 1500 in turning/parking, which I've dealt with and could again. From what I've read there is not much difference in gas mileage between the two. Any thoughts?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
We have a 2000 Excursion with the V10. It tows great at 70 though we don't usually go that speed all the time. It barely notices hills. It is a HUGE vehichle with seating for 8 and still has 3 - 4 feet of space behind the third seat. It averages about 11.5 mpg towing. Overall, we like it and plan on keeping it awhile longer.

Cons: It is a very large truck and can be hard to park. We call ours the Behemoth. Not towing it's best mpg is 13.5. These were not made anymore after 2005 so they are getting to be older trucks with all the maintenance hassles that come with that. They are not cheap to work on and sometimes it takes longer to find parts.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is not going to be that much harder to park than the Expedition. The Expedition is based on the F150 truck chasis and the Excursion is based on the F250-F350 truck chasis. I have a 2000 V10 Excursion and it does not seem to mind the 31 ft Airstream being back there. I get about 11 MPG empty and 8-9 Towing. I have the 4:30 axel which is going to tow just about anything you put back there. The 3:73 axel will give you about 14 MPG empty and probably a couple MPG better than the 4:30 gears. If you go with a V10 and 3:73 get you a bigger trans cooler from a 6L diesel. Parking is not too bad since it is still relatively short. The 7.3L diesel is the best diesel but I for one don't like the extra hassel of a diesel. Unless you tow a lot, the diesel MPG savings won't outweigh the extra cost of the fuel and maintenance. The V10 you pretty much put oil and gas in it and drive it for 300-400k miles.

Used Excursions are pretty cheap because they have the gas hog SUV reputation and they don't have the redneck love factor that pickups have. I would rather have a truck but the Excursion cost me $7k and a truck would cost me $40+k. I am going to pay my house off instead.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We've been using our 2001 Excursion (V10, 4x4, 3.73 gears) for three years - great tow vehicle, IMHO...

It's large size (3/4 Ford 4x4 pick-up chassis) is steady as a rock when towing our 28ft AS, and rarely is bothered by passing Semi's blast of sideways air cone...

The 4x4's use a Live front axle, as so the ride is not as 'soft' as a 2x4 model with IRS front suspension...

Out here in the West where we have some 'real' hills...... the V10 has to gather most of it's ponies to best the steep inclines...It's a bit unnerving to see the RPM's jump up to 4,500, along with the screaming heard under the hood - It's then time to slow down and enjoy the scenery - never short of power, just calming down the ponies a bit...

We get about 9.5 MPG up in the hill, and about 10.9 MPG down in the flat lands traveling 55-60 MPH...

The diesel version would do better, MPG wise, but it's heaver and more costly to purchase (& operate, IMO)... We got our EXC with 110K on the clock, and didn't want to buy a used Diesel that may need some extensive maintenance in the near future...

When we bought our EXC, they were available at very reasonable prices due to their low MPG ratings - many were being traded... We picked up our 'Limited' model for $7,500...

Since Ford stopped production in with the 2005 model, I understand there's now again increased demand for these larger models for towing - Used Pickups are still demanding higher prices in our area, which effects the EXC's prices as well...

And, they are Built Ford Tough...
Old 03-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Would have liked a Excursion but they were unavailable. Tried one, but the engine was bad and needed everything. So we got an Expedition El which has done well. It has the big tow pkg., sway control, etc. and did good with the 28' but would not take it to the big hills out west. Now have a 25' and it is does much better. If Ford ever makes the eco boost in the Expedition we would get one. Or if they bring back an Excursion type we would consider that. There is nothing big enough fin an SUV for the hills in the west.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

I have a 2000 diesel Excursion purchased new now with 208,000 miles. I get 11-12 towing a 25 Safari and 17-18 solo. I have kept the vehicle in top condition and I would leave tomorrow to go anywhere. I plan to keep the Ex until they pry it out of my cold, dead hands.
No problems with the engine and transmission but everything else has kept me busy repairing. Everything that gets spun by the serpentine belt has worn out with the exception of the a.c., the front end has been almost completely replaced and the power windows and locks have had lots of parts. All of the parts are easily available and are available the same day 90 per cent of the time. Factory rebuilt parts are reasonable. Repair costs over the years have been a fraction of the cost of depreciation on new vehicles obtained at normal trading intervals.
Negatives are the turning radius is huge. It is a chore to drive and park downtown. It is too tall to get in many parking garages and many parking spaces are too small. With leaf springs and solid axles the ride is a little rough.
Positives are fuel economy, almost 800 mile range (with a 44 gallon tank), towing (it is the ultimate tow vehicle) and will tow effortlessly at the speed limit on the flat, curves, up or down mountains you name it, hauling capacity (we have never had a bunch of stuff we could not fit in in one load), firewood, branches rocks you name it and last, durability my Ex looks and drives almost new. I can go up the same hill at 75+ mph that I could when the vehicle was new.
It is hard to find one that doesn't need a lot of work to bring up to good condition. Most people drive the axles off of them and don't put any money into repairs. I would avoid a 6.0 diesel (made after 2003). But if you find a good one for under 12k, I would jump on it.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The Expedition EL has the distinct advantage of fully independent suspension, a long wheelbase and short rear overhang. Add to that rack & pinion steering. This isn't a serious question, is it?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The Expedition EL has the distinct advantage of fully independent suspension, a long wheelbase and short rear overhang. Add to that rack & pinion steering. This isn't a serious question, is it?
Yes, it is all that, but it is also on a 1/2 ton chassis, and so has all the limitations in tow capacity and weight capacity of a 1/2 ton. Usually good for up to a 25' Airstream, if you keep the loading down.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have a 2000 V10 Excursion, the only downside for mine has been the small electrics, switches and such. They just wear out. Cheap to replace though. I have done the door lock switch, wiper switch, vent switch.
It now has 150000 on it and runs like new. Change the oil, lube the susupension and go.
I would like to get something smaller now that I have a 26, but what else could I get for the $ I have in this rig?
Mileage for us is 12-13 in town empty and the same towing at highway speeds.
I do get as much as 18 empty on the highway , but nothing to write home about.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Our Expedition EL is doing well though it does not have power of the Excursion Alan has...those Excursions are just not easy to find.
The Expedition w all the sway control, etc. that we have is the next best thing and hopefully Ford will update to a larger engine or bring back the Excursion w one of the new engines someday.
With the smaller '07 25' Safari FB SE we just got (weighs a lot less than the classic 28' we had) and the Hensley, we have a safe vehicle and trailer package that meets our needs.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I don't think Ford will bring back the Excursion because of politics. Big SUV's are not green but the same thing in a pickup truck is ok. Get on Autotrader or Craigs list to find one. Here in the southeast they are easier to find because pickups are more popular. They maybe harder to find in places were folks need and want a big capable SUV. I was able to find one that was used as a mom vehicle that was relatively unmolested. It still took some work and about $1000 to get everything back in order.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
I have an 07 Expy EL with 140k on it and love it. While I've only taken it through the Blue Ridge Mountains, it did fine pulling my '78 Sovereign. We just got back from two weeks up in South Carolina and Georgia and averaged 12mph pulling the trailer.

When the trailer is disconnected, I average 15-16.

While I love my truck, if you checked my internet browsing history over the last few years, you'd see that I've often looked on Craigslist for an 04 Diesel Excursion.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
There's a few of them available around here:

2004 Excursion Eddie Bauer

2005 FORD EXCURSION LIMITED 4X4 6.0L DIESEL LOADED DVD 157K CLEAN

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0L 2WD
Old 03-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The EXCURSION with a 6L diesel engine just might be the worst TV of the past decade. From an engine that is a disaster, to a chassis with shortcomings all over the place . . get ready to spend, spend, spend. And still wind up with something that is less than.

Equating TV size with towing performance is shortsighted. Fails to see what this TT type can do under real world conditions.

The choice of TT was the crucial choice. Shape, not weight, is the key determinant from then on where TV's are concerned.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
What "shortcomings"? I have the V10 and it has been a great truck. Towing our 31 at highway speed in an emergency maneuver it pretty much save us and the Airstream.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
My next door neighbor has an 01 diesel Ex love it! Just saw one on CL with diesel and a propane conversion...that's the hot ticket I'm sure! They claimed 28 mpg on propane, and nearly 600 mile range with a full tank of diesel and propane.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
What "shortcomings"? I have the V10 and it has been a great truck. Towing our 31 at highway speed in an emergency maneuver it pretty much save us and the Airstream.
I have the same truck as alan; at 212k miles I have no complaints at all- Towing or otherwise
Great cargo capacity, lots of legroom, power, and great visibility.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
My next door neighbor has an 01 diesel Ex love it! Just saw one on CL with diesel and a propane conversion...that's the hot ticket I'm sure! They claimed 28 mpg on propane, and nearly 600 mile range with a full tank of diesel and propane.
That sounds interesting! But a 600 mile range is only working out to about 14mpg (excursions have a 44 gallon fuel tank). At 28mpg the range with full propane/ diesel tanks should be somewhere in the 1200 mile range....that would be impressive!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 04-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Not sure how big the propane tank was.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Not sure how big the propane tank was.
Either way, it sounds like an interesting setup!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24