Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
My only excursion complaint is the front brakes. The rotors warp. I replaced my pads with ceramic last time I got rotors- about 35000 miles later they are warped again.
Guess its not too bad as I have not spent much on this truck in 5 1/2 years.
Due for brakes, and some front end bushings.
Still amazes me at how much take off power it has for a beastly tho stock vehicle. Would be nice to have headers.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #22
Rivet Master

The answer to the brake problem is slotted racing rotors and performance disks.
I replaced my front brakes with after market upgrades at 70k miles after two sets of stock brakes. I am still driving shudder free at 208k. Towing in the mountains is murder on stock brakes which are weak to begin with. Resurfacing the rotors lasted me only 10k miles.
I have an exhaust brake which also helps. This option is relatively inexpensive and increases engine braking. I installed the exhaust brake at 70k miles and it has performed well for 110k miles.
If you have 4 wheel drive check the hubs. Worn out hubs will cause a shudder even with good brakes.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
My Expeditions front rotors warp easy too. I've just given up and accept that I replace them almost annually. I found that the cheapest for about $40 last as poorly as the expensive ones. At least its and easy and quick do it yourself job.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I didn't do mine last time myself as I worried about lifting the big beast. MIght do it this time, I have lots of brake experience just not enough extra heavy duty equipment.
I will check into the slotted rotors. Using ceramic pads may have given me a little more mileage out of the rotors, I got 35000 from this set.
Mine is 2 wd.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The heat treatment and alloy quality of the rotors has more to do with warpage than anything else. A billet stainless steel rotor would be the least likely to warp.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1982 31' Airstream310
Monroe , Georgia
Wink Ford Excusion

I had a 04 diesel Excursion and it was the best vehicle I have ever owned for towing.It was almost dangerous because I would forget I had the 28 behind me.I once got 14 mpg in tow and averaged 18 empty.
Yes you could have some EGR or head gasket issues but look at the price the diesels are going for.The one you want is the 2003 7.3engine model with low miles or a 6.0 that had EGR delete,head bolt and gasket replacement work that has been done.
Just look in the trader.They are very hard to find with low miles and are worth gold when you do find a clean unit.They also turn shorter than the 4 door Ford truck due to the shorter chassis.
I would buy a 7.3 in a heartbeat if I could find it.
But no it is not Cummins powered and you can't have your cake and eat it to usually.
Turbo nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The 6.0 problems were mostly due to the EGR cooler causing problems. If you get one that has not been abused (CHEAP) and do the EGR delete you will probably have a good truck. Looking for a good Excursion is like looking for a good used Airstream. It takes time. In my opinion you would have to put a ton of miles on a diesel to come out ahead on the fuel savings over a V10.

Perry
Old 04-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Owned both

I have owned both an Expedition (not XL) and two Excursions. There is nothing like the turning radius of an Expedition, really liked that vehicle. But for towing I didn't like it that much; always felt like I was right on the edge of control.

The Excursions (both diesels, one 7.3L and one 6L) were GREAT towing vehicles, absolutely fantastic. For around town they are a big vehicle, but for my purposes and my driving habits the size was not really an issue. I would have bought a third Excursion if they had kept making them.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
While the 6.0L engine was a disaster, the Excursion also featured:

- worst in class braking (230' from 70-0; 167' from 60)
- worst in class handling/steering (50' turn circle; .68g slalom; 48-mph in slalom, the trailer is better than this)

There are better choices out there for a tow vehicle. Those two categories are at the top of what matters. No wonder there are dozens of threads on Ford truck forums of the need to improve it and an aftermarket developed just for it.

If you want one, have at it. If I just had to have a Ford with big interior capacity I'd choose an Econoline van far ahead of an Excursion in the used vehicle market.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Is the braking any worse than other 3/4 ton trucks? Why do I need to do slalom in a truck? I have a sports car for that.

I would rather have had a van but finding one outfitted for passenger use seemed to be harder than finding an Excursion. My Limited Excursion is nice inside. My wife and daughter love it. I like being able to put a bicycle in a van without having to take the wheels off it or for that matter being able to put a motorcycle in the back. So I do miss having a van.

The Excursion is the most modern tow vehicle that I have every driven but I drive older vehicles that are just as reliable as newer ones because I maintain them. In fact, it is the newest vehicle I own. It does not matter how good the new trucks are. I don't have $40-$50k to throw at one. My Excursion is probably 70% as good as a new truck. It cost me about 1/7th the cost of a new one. Despite the short comings, it is much better than 1/7th a new truck in capability.

Perry
Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Well, let's see. My truck -- and others -- has come to a full stop when the EX is still trying to get under 20-mph.

An Airstream, behind a number of other TV's, can get through a slalom faster than the EX can solo.

Are we to say that even with competing vehicles FAR better at accident avoidance, be it stopping or lane-changing that a used EX is a good idea?

perryg114 don't you have a thread from today about how your EX suddenly put you into oncoming, or was it overtaking, traffic while towing?

The OP asked about an EXCURSION versus an EXPEDITION. The latter is close to state-of-the-art for an SUV. The former -- with the 6.0l engine -- is a problem from any angle at all.

Steering and braking matter most for a tow vehicle. Interior appointments are at the bottom of the list in importance. They're easy enough to change if one must. Re-engineering the chassis is another thing altogether.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
How does the suspension and chasis differ from a 3/4" ton truck of the same era? The Excursion is just a pickup with the bed covered.

Perry
Old 04-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I think the excursion vs. expedition question would be similar to the F150/ F250 question.
I have not had steering or braking problems with my Ex nor have I had rotor problems. Stability /lane changing is no problem. Very very stable, even in emergency maneuvers.
I believe that the standard engine in the Excursion is the gas V10.

I especially like the three door rear hatch. very convenient and you don't hit your head on the open lift gate like the expy.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:33 AM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
How does the suspension and chasis differ from a 3/4" ton truck of the same era? The Excursion is just a pickup with the bed covered.

Perry
One would want to read the great number of threads on a FORD forum. It is not quite that simple.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Diesel Econoline vans with the 7.3 engines have the intercoolers removed due to space limitations. This results in less power and probably reduced durability due to higher exhaust temps.
Vans are noted for their squirrely handling. There is reduced crash protection due to the seating position in the front.
My wife was passing a truck in Mexico driving our Excursion when we had a rear tire blowout with the original and since recalled Firestone tires. With the rough road and narrow traffic lanes, we would have had an accident if Excursion had done anything but track straight and narrow which it did. I endorse what others have said the vice free handling of the vehicle. I agree also with comments about the wide turning ratio which probably contributes to the poor slalom performance. In the shopping center, I pass on parking places and take two tries to park straight when I find a space that fits.
The Excursion is a great tow, road vehicle but a chore downtown.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am kinda wondering about what worst in class means? If the Excursion is grouped in with smaller more nimble SUV's then of course it will be worst in class. My Ranger handles alot better than my F350 did but my Ranger could not haul 3500 lbs of concrete without even batting an eye like the F-350 did. The Excursion should be grouped with 3/4 ton trucks not SUV's. I guarantee it handles better than an empty pickup truck. I have never had a rear end loss of traction with the Excursion like going around a corner in the rain like I have in empty pickups. I have also never gotten it stuck even in sand pulling the trailer up a hill. I have pulled pickups out of the sand with it before.

Perry
Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
I have an 07 Expy EL with 140k on it and love it...
While I love my truck, if you checked my internet browsing history over the last few years, you'd see that I've often looked on Craigslist for an 04 Diesel Excursion.
I thought I'd add an update to that post as I'm now the proud owner of an 04 Excursion 4x4 with the dreaded 6.0 Powerstroke.

It turns out, if you do your research on that engine, you'll learn pretty quickly that once you address two items, it's a VERY good engine and that most people bashing them don't really have any idea what they're talking about, they're just propagating misguided information because of a design flaw added at the last minute to address emissions. This is not to say that their intentions aren't good, just that MOST don't really understand the issues, they've just read or heard about them and they know to stay away.

I've got an appointment to address two of the issues proactively (oil cooler and EGR).
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rocky Mount , Virginia
I really appreciate all the thoughts. Since my original post I've towed a couple more 6 hr trips, one to Chattanooga and one to the NC Outer Banks. I've made a little change to my towing rpm in the Expy, going from 2,300 to 2,700 which changed my speed from around 58 to almost 65 mph, that's cut my trip time down.

Another thought that I've had has been in regard to pulling a mid 60's trailer with the stiffer suspension of a 250/350. When we towed our first Barth trailer home we used my brother's F350, which rearranged everything inside the trailer. Most of the brochures for these trailers show them being towed by a Lincoln.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
I thought I'd add an update to that post as I'm now the proud owner of an 04 Excursion 4x4 with the dreaded 6.0 Powerstroke.

It turns out, if you do your research on that engine, you'll learn pretty quickly that once you address two items, it's a VERY good engine and that most people bashing them don't really have any idea what they're talking about, they're just propagating misguided information because of a design flaw added at the last minute to address emissions. This is not to say that their intentions aren't good, just that MOST don't really understand the issues, they've just read or heard about them and they know to stay away.

I've got an appointment to address two of the issues proactively (oil cooler and EGR).

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'd be happy to get a report on how the Six point oh no! is treating you after those fixes, Taylormade. It could well be our next tow vehicle.
SanchezDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #40
Rivet Master

I am still driving my 2000 diesel Ex. Now it has 230,000 miles. Latest repairs, last year were oil and fuel leaks. Oil leaks were turbo gaskets and fuel were o rings in injector pump. Both repairs cost about $400 total. Brake discs wore out also after 120k miles, cost to repair about $500. Now I am had the point where the vehicle is as trouble free as a newer one as I am ahead of the game in repairs.
Repairs to bullet proof the 6.0 diesel are in the 4k range so it is best to find one where needed repairs have been done.
This years Expedition has the 3.5 Ecoboost which gives you both the cake and eating--better mileage and more power. Still hearing complaints about the weak rear end not handling heavy tongue weights very well. Best match would be with a 25 foot or smaller trailer.