Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2003, 10:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
Question exhaust temp on diesel tow vehicle

I need comparisons from anyone towing with a diesel-powered vehicle. I have a Ford F-350 with 7.3 Banks turbo-charged engine. While towing last weekend I noticed the exhaust temps were getting pretty high, about 500. Idling temp in 90-degree, humid weather is about 250. How do these temps compare with anyone else's?
Thanks.
Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
EAP,

I don't have any guages on mine (yet) so I couldn't really help you. I would check out the Dieselstop.com forum. There are some serious diehard diesel nuts over there and they could tell you right off. Checked your sig, be sure to get in the right forum, I guess the 7.3 turbo IDI section, they are different, only made for 1 year I think.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 11:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question EAP

Your question..or rather a series of questions.

Quote:
I need comparisons from anyone towing with a diesel-powered vehicle. I have a Ford F-350 with 7.3 Banks turbo-charged engine. While towing last weekend I noticed the exhaust temps were getting pretty high, about 500. Idling temp in 90-degree, humid weather is about 250. How do these temps compare with anyone else's?
Leads to more..
1.How long have you had your gages on your tow vehicle?

2.I assume that you're not towing "full-time"? Aside from the IDL temp range, what is your average trip indication around town and/or on extended trips while not under tow?

3.Just for my own references, what kind of gages are you using besides EGT? make/analog/digital??

4. What are the other gages reading and, have any of those peaked sharply as well?

5.Did this happen while under other than normal situation? Like climbing a very steep grade for extended period?

6. When was the last time you had the vehicle in for services for air filter change, oil/oil filter/tranny/fuel filter replacement??

Just trying to see if there was anything performed on your tow vehicle just prior to this..

As I drive a GMC diesel, I think Chars idea has merits~!

Look for your reponse as to what is going on, whatever the causes you find..share plse..
Good luck to you..
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 01:20 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to julestertx2 Send a message via Yahoo to julestertx2
I have a 1999 7.3 diesel, F-350 dually with 4.10 rear end and the banks system. When pulling our 15,000 pound 5 wheel, I see my exhaust around 600. I will see it go up as far as 1000 on a steep hill. The Diesel mechanic said I need to keep it under 1450 as that is when the pistons melt. Even though the exhaust gets higher, I have never seen the factory guages (engine heat) get above normal, which means everything I put it through the engine is staying cool. Hopes this helps.
julestertx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 01:07 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
interime report

Since it was raining too hard yesterday and last night to go out and fool with the truck, I spent lots of time with my shop manual, plus the Internet, especially the DieselStopforum and the GaleBanks website. The DieselStop is an AWESOME site. I just did a lot of searching and gained enough information to be able to look at some possibilities today.

So here's the order I checked;
1. Blown head gasket : Don't think so, but there is some oil leakage at the join that I have to check out further.
2. Dirty radiator exterior, both front and back: Nope. Looks pretty good.
3. Obstruction in the turbo intake: Didn't see anything, but that doesn't mean there isn't something. When I opened the hood, a chipmunk popped out of the nest it had built on top of the engine and looked at me with great irritation before skedaddling. I spent half an hour or so pulling the nest out of there, but still have to get some high pressure air to it to blow out the rest.
4. Dirty coolant (meaning dirty or clogged radiator): Nope, nice and green.
5. Dirty oil: Possibility. I do need to change it. It has been about 3k since the last change.
6. Dirty filter: Haven't checked that yet. Will do so when I change the oil.
7. Faulty gauge: Real possibility. When I went to start the engine to visually check for active oil leaks at the rocker cover mentioned above, I glanced at the EGT gauge and noticed that COLD it was registering about 200. Since the truck had been sitting a couple of days, I knew that couldn't be right. Oh well, I've been thinking of installing a complete set of gauges and maybe now is the time. The EGT is the only one I have and it is a no-name. Any recommendations? I'm leaning toward ISSIPRO (?).

BTW, from the DieselStop forum I learned about pre and post-turbo temp probes. I couldn't figure out which mine had. This is an aftermarket Banks Sidewinder set up. I’m not sure if it was installed completely correctly since I don’t seem to have the power boost that the DieselStop guys and the Banks website imply will happen.

In answer to FlyingCloud’s questions:
1.How long have you had your gages on your tow vehicle?
It was in it when I bought the truck (as a complete newbie to diesel) used in ’97.

2.I assume that you're not towing "full-time"? Aside from the IDL temp range, what is your average trip indication around town and/or on extended trips while not under tow?
It used to stay pretty much at the bottom of the gauge, maybe moving up to 250. Towing on the interstate might see 350.

3.Just for my own references, what kind of gages are you using besides EGT? make/analog/digital??
Only an EGT, no-name analog.

4. What are the other gages reading and, have any of those peaked sharply as well?
The instrument cluster is the standard +/- gauges, so there aren’t really good indicators, but nothing in the cluster has acted strangely.

5.Did this happen while under other than normal situation? Like climbing a very steep grade for extended period?
No, just seems to be running hotter. Also, there is a lot of heat coming into the cab on the right side, even with the heater off. This is the same side as the oil leak mentioned above.

6. When was the last time you had the vehicle in for services for air filter change, oil/oil filter/tranny/fuel filter replacement??
About 3-4k ago. (I know. I know. "about" isn’t very good! Sort of like the +/- gauges!! )

Well, that's it for now. I'll report more when I have talked to some technicians. Thanks for the help thus far.
Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 01:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Just fer starters

Take a look at this...

westach gauges

This will get you in proper direction on choices and, info on different gauges.
ciao

I'll get back with you later about your excellent notes.

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 02:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
exhaust temp on diesel tow vehicle

Greetings Eugenie!

Quote:
5.Did this happen while under other than normal situation? Like climbing a very steep grade for extended period?5.Did this happen while under other than normal situation?

No, just seems to be running hotter. Also, there is a lot of heat coming into the cab on the right side, even with the heater off. This is the same side as the oil leak mentioned above.
While I am not a diesel owner, the isolation of the problem to the right side triggered a thought - - is there a device on the right hand exhaust manifold that might be sticking in the partilally closed position? - - if it were a gasoline motor I would suggest looking at the exhuast heat riser valve (a problem area on my big block GM V8s) - - on a diesel, possibly an exhaust brake that is beginning to malfunction? The hot floors are a primary indicator of a sticking exhaust heat riser in my GM big block V8s so thought it might be some device that resides below the exhaust manifold.

Good luck locating the problem!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 03:59 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Re: exhaust temp on diesel tow vehicle

Quote:
Originally posted by EAP
Thanks.
Eugenie
500 degrees while towing is nothing to worry about. The "sweet spot" for a 7.3 Powerstroke is supposed to be 600 degrees. I was told that 1250 (pre-turbo) is the safe limit.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:52 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Exhaust temps

Eap,
I have a 96 F350 4wd crew cab with 4.10 gears a Dieselpower chip, big down pipe and 4 inch exhaust. I have Autometer Ultra Lite gauges. My exhaust pyrometer probe is mounted post turbo in the exhaust manifold near a exhaust port. Pulling the trailer with a gross weight of between 14000 to 15000 lbs depending on what is in the truck my exhaust temps are as follows. At 64 mph temp is about 800 degrees,it may vary 50 degrees above or below depending on weather , wind or small speed changes. Unloaded temps at same speed is about 550 to 600. After an extended drive on the highway towing, idle temps are 350 t0 400 for a little bit , but I always let it cool down to 300 before shutting off the truck. Max exhaust temp pre turbo is 1350. I start to back out of the throttle or downshift at 1250.

I believe the Banks setup has the pyrometer probe mounted in the downpipe which is post turbo.
If I remember correctly post turbo max temps should be between 250 to 300 degrees less than pre turbo.

The Dieselstop forums should give you enough info to make your head hurt for a long time, much like this site does for our Airstreams. Make sure you go to the 94 to 97 section for info on your truck.

Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote