Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post

However, at 8 years old everything else was starting to show its age.
Based on your long list of issues I guess I don't understand why some folks report "The X is a glorious TV"?????

Sure they seem to have a great engine but all the other negatives sure take away from the glory thing,

I guess the issue is the lack of similar vehicles to compare. Vehicles that can haul a load and still carry a family of four plus gear.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Most people give up on their vehicles long before 200k miles for the reasons TinLoaf suggested. I am skeptical of claims of 300k trouble free miles with only fluid changes. The fact is things wear out and you have to be proactive in repairing and replacing them. I think the engine, transmission and body integrety of an Excursion is way better than average but there are lots of other things on your Excursion to repair or replace.
A ten year old Excursion owned by someone else is a project; before you volunteer for it you need to ask yourself some questions.
1. Repairs are always more than you think. The former owner has most likely let things slide anticipating sale of the vehicle. The question is are you willing to spend 5k or more on a vehicle worth 10k?
2. Do you have an independent mechanic that is both skilled and trustworthy?
3. Are you willing to take your new to you vehicle in for repairs several times to get it right?
4. Are you willing to face the possibility of having your vehicle towed behind a wrecker and being seriously inconvenienced?
If the answer to all these questions is yes, go for it.
The payoff is that you get a vehicle that is not made anymore, that is very good at towing heavy trailers and carrying lots of things and people and is fairly economical doing all that. Once you get your Excursion to standard it will be almost as reliable as a newer vehicle
Whatever you spend on repairs will be much less than depreciation on a new vehicle.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote