Old 10-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

We tend to pop up these videos of trailers flipping over and say "that's sway". Well, yes, that is sway. It's extreme terminal sway right at the very end of the process. Sway is one of several ways to describe instability in a lash up. Instability in any vehicle makes it hard to control.That leads to fatigue. WD / anti-sway improves stability. It makes things easier to control. Driving tired *also* causes accidents ....

Bob
Driver error is a bigger issue. I think lots of people use WD, carry gobs of insurance, wear seat belts and hold the steering wheel at 10 and 2, and forget you have to actually drive the vehicle.

You're not gonna crash if you lighten the front axle of an F250 by 200 lbs unless you screw something else up. I use mine every time (it's a Hensley) but don't kid myself.

Tow Vehicle: Ford Superduty crew cab 6.2L V8
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #86
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is a segment that buys anything with the word "safety" in it's name. There is a second layer that believes that if all the "safety" items have been bought, I can do whatever I want to. Next layer is to go on the nearest forum and violently complain for the next hundred years when that does not work out. Indeed, all those things need to be compensated for.

Bob

Old 10-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
So driving for the first time with my new AS heading to AZ. I have an Equilizer that was installed by my dealer. I also installed Rock Tamers and cut them to the recommended 3-4 inches of clearance. Driving yesterday, after also loading up the rear of the pickup with things like Honda generators, I noticed that the Rock Tamers are now almost touching the ground. Can someone explain how to use the certified scales at truck stops to see how my Equilizer is doing? How much does this typically cost? What do I do with the data I get other than adjust and re-weigh?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
So driving for the first time with my new AS heading to AZ. I have an Equilizer that was installed by my dealer. I also installed Rock Tamers and cut them to the recommended 3-4 inches of clearance. Driving yesterday, after also loading up the rear of the pickup with things like Honda generators, I noticed that the Rock Tamers are now almost touching the ground. Can someone explain how to use the certified scales at truck stops to see how my Equilizer is doing? How much does this typically cost? What do I do with the data I get other than adjust and re-weigh?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi - there are lots of threads here you can search for more detailed information but for starters, check out these instructions from the CAT scale people: https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/

What you may be seeing with the rock tamers so close to the ground is the effect of tongue weight on your receiver (or you could also be overloading). Have you adjusted the hitch to increase its weight distribution?

What you are looking for at the scales are (at least) 3 different tickets. Do these on the same day in any order that's easiest. Be sure you're fully loaded for camping - full tanks of fuel, full fresh water, all the gear you carry in the trailer and tow vehicle, passengers/pets, etc. you want real world numbers. Your first weigh is $10 or $12 and each additional that day is $2.

One ticket should show just your tow vehicle (again, fully loaded) by itself. The ticket will show the individual steer and drive axle weights and the total weight of your fully loaded TV.

Another ticket should show your TV attached to your trailer with NO weight distribution applied by your hitch. You'll now have different numbers on your TV steer (it will be lighter) and drive (it will be heavier) and your trailer axle(s).

The last ticket you need is the TV and Trailer but now with you weight distribution fully engaged. Depending on a lot of factors, a good rule of thumb can be to restore the steer axle of your TV to what it weighed when it was by itself.

Again - there's more detail you can play with but for starters at the scales that should get you going. Post pics of your tickets and you'll get some good insight from the crowd here.

You can also approximate a good setup without the scales. Here you measure the TV height at the steer axle (put a piece of masking tape horizontally on a spot on the fender above the center of the tire) just by itself. Then hook up the trailer without any weight distribution (just drop it on the ball). Now go back and measure the height of the fender over the steer axle again. Odds are, it went up. Now, apply weight distribution on your hitch until the front fender returns to the height it was when solo without the trailer attached.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:23 AM   #89
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
Reminds me of my father when I was about 10.
Paraphrased:
"I have all the experience and you have none. So do what I tell you."
My father was neither happy nor well liked.

What ten year old needs a better answer than that? You don't trust your father, mores the pity. My father and grandfather quizzed me about the hitch set up when I thought I knew it at that age. Where to set the thumb-screw on the Kelsey-Hayes brake controller. Ha!

That doesn't change due to the calendar. One can miss the details at any age. Ignorance has a cure. (Experience of that matters. I got into a smoothbore tanker gig. Was set up wrong. Went and asked the experienced what was off. Read industry literature. Found out. Now to get truck owner on board. Don't ask me why his other 25-drivers didn't. Guess they were worried about popularity, screw the dangers and increased component wear).

You'd prefer someone whose experience is shallow? Range of vehicles, hitches, trailers, etc? Plenty of them around here. With nothing to teach, but lots of "advice". Based on no real understanding. But a gold star on their forehead when they did it like the herd.

For you, popularity equates to trust? Better they tiptoe around your feelings, huh? That comes first? That's their problem?

Here's the problem:

Use the scale to set the lash-up. Test the adjustment range in driving. Both of WDH and of TV tire pressure. That's the basic minimum.

If you don't know how to test (I guess you don't), ask.

You'll notice the herd never answers whether their rig can stop as fast as the TV solo, or up to what speed an emergency lane change can be made. They have a magic one ton. End of discussion.

Be terrible they found out a smaller TV was better all around. By every measure.

So what they bought is one thing. How well it does on the road separates men from sensitive little boys. A rig spec'd badly can always be improved. And knowledge of its limits informs all miles.

That last part has a whole lot of crybaby in it. If things go wrong. When it goes wrong (not "if") any honest self appraisal has little to do with driving skill.

It's the knowledge of the rigs ability.

"Too fast for conditions". Define this.

So, a one ton is just as safe at 70 as a car, right? (Wrong). And a combined vehicle presents no obstacle to high speed travel (ignorance as bliss as never tested), thus if I'm careful (again, NOT DEFINED) all will be well: I have the one ton magic.

Man, or boy. You choose.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #90
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Your comments may or may not be accurate, but your demeaning attitude makes them useless. No one likes a persistent know it all even if he is correct.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #91
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Your comments may or may not be accurate, but your demeaning attitude makes them useless. No one likes a persistent know it all even if he is correct.
Leave out the drunks, and more than fifty people are killed on the roads every day, year in and year out. Hundreds more seriously injured. Every. Single. Day.

A rollover is some serious ****.

Those who've never taken this seriously are the ones with the problem. Believing that a decade or three of commuting is adequate example of their prowess. And never a thought about vehicle spec affecting that.

Calling stupid, stupid, isn't the problem.

Ignorance is nothing of which to be ashamed. Conflating the two isn't my problem at all.

You miss that those who "disagree" don't/won't/can't offer up other data. That's the definition of stupid: can't say why, but are vehement in their belief.

95% with bad hitch lash-up seems to be no wake up at all. Where some time with the thing would make a difference.

Why don't you try the posts over the past dozen years where I've offered tools and how to analyze. How to get started. As have others.

Magic one tons ARE stupid. Why? Have answered that as well. But one should at least do the best with it as can be done. Proof thereby. Multiple attempts to get it right is the norm.

Driving slow with a bad combo isn't an answer. Not when it's easy to remedy.

"Too fast for conditions". Define.

"Loss of control". Define

"Wind loads chief factor." Define

"Overcorrection at wheel". Define

Definitions are boundaries. Is, or isn't.

Stupid is not making the attempt. Stupid is rejecting what affects my family's well-being.

Man, or boy. It's that simple.

If that's "demeaning" one is in the wrong thread. This ain't about color choice.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #92
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
I guess I better get rid of my stupid F350 with equalizer hitch Towing my 30ft Classic and get a VW bug to pull it with.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
I see a LOT of big enclosed cargo trailers on the road. Big boxy things - 24+' long. Roofing, siding and gutter contractors have them. They would likely be more prone to wind effects because they are square. Yet I never see any kind of wd or sway control on them.

I also see a lot of SOBs on the road. They are likewise big square boxy things and more often than not they have no wd or sc.

Are all those people really just stupid?

Those are just the ones with similar sail area to an AS.

As for the millions of utility, boat and equipment trailers on the road -which of course don't have the sail area - but do weigh more than a TT and they almost never have a wd on them. Are those people just stupid too?

Airstreamers seem to love all those add ons. That's just fine with me.

Maybe it increases your comfort level.

But to say that everyone needs that stuff or else they are stupid is not only out of line, it is also evidence of a smug lack of understanding on your part.

Simply stated, I would be a fool to tow my Airstream 80 mph without my “premium hitch”. It is safe to about 60 or maybe 62 on the ball. That wont cut it for me. That being the case, the money I spent on my premium hitch is some of the best money I spent on my trailer.

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #94
Rivet Polisher

1978 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Simply stated, I would be a fool to tow my Airstream 80 mph without my “premium hitch”. It is safe to about 60 or maybe 62 on the ball. That wont cut it for me. That being the case, the money I spent on my premium hitch is some of the best money I spent on my trailer.
I hope you have the tires that will handle that at 80 mph, most are designed not to exceed 65 - otherwise you're just fooling yourself. But if you are in such a hurry to get somewhere where is the enjoyment of the journey?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #95
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
What ten year old needs a better answer than that? You don't trust your father, mores the pity. My father and grandfather quizzed me about the hitch set up when I thought

Yep.
Neither happy nor liked.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhorses View Post
I hope you have the tires that will handle that at 80 mph, most are designed not to exceed 65 - otherwise you're just fooling yourself. But if you are in such a hurry to get somewhere where is the enjoyment of the journey?

I use LT tires all around.

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #97
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Leave out the drunks, and more than fifty people are killed on the roads every day, year in and year out. Hundreds more seriously injured. Every. Single. Day.

A rollover is some serious ****.

Those who've never taken this seriously are the ones with the problem. Believing that a decade or three of commuting is adequate example of their prowess. And never a thought about vehicle spec affecting that.

Calling stupid, stupid, isn't the problem.

Ignorance is nothing of which to be ashamed. Conflating the two isn't my pro mini jblem at all.

You miss that those who "disagree" don't/won't/can't offer up other data. That's the definition of stupid: can't say why, but are vehement in their belief.

95% with bad hitch lash-up seems to be no wake up at all. Where some time with the thing would make a difference.

Why don't you try the posts over the past dozen years where I've offered tools and how to analyze. How to get started. As have others.

Magic one tons ARE stupid. Why? Have answered that as well. But one should at least do the best with it as can be done. Proof thereby. Multiple attempts to get it right is the norm.

Driving slow with a bad combo isn't an answer. Not when it's easy to remedy.

"Too fast for conditions". Define.

"Loss of control". Define

"Wind loads chief factor." Define

"Overcorrection at wheel". Define

Definitions are boundaries. Is, or isn't.

Stupid is not making the attempt. Stupid is rejecting what affects my family's well-being.

Man, or boy. It's that simple.

If that's "demeaning" one is in the wrong thread. This ain't about color choice.

Your comments are still demeaning., Correct or not. I've put you on ignore.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I use LT tires all around.
Good God, I hope you're not driving around doing 80. But don't worry, we have Jaws of Life in the truck.

Tow Vehicle: Ford Superduty crew cab 6.2L V8
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote