Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
here in London, Ontario thieves just stole 170 bronze vases from a cemetery - the vases that go on the headstones. now that's LOW
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Back in the days of the gas shortage (I think it was about 1974), I had a problem with someone stealing gas out of my LTD. It had a 26 gallon tank, and a locking cap did zero good. If I was lucky, I'd have enough to get to the gas station at the end of the street the next morning. After several attempts to secure my gas, I got creative.
I went to my neighbor, a dairy farmer, and borrowed an electric fence module, and hooked it up to my car, and plugged it in. About 1 am I heard an ungodly gargling, retching, scream. I put on some clothes, and went out to find an empty 5 gallon gas can next to the car, and a garden hose dangling from the filler. An electric fencer pulses jolts similar to what you would find coming from a high performance ignition coil, or even a stun gun. From evidence at the scene, the "gas borrower" managed to open the gas flap and remove the filler cap between pulses, but happened to get the full effect of the fencer about the time the gas reached his mouth. Residual stomach contents showed gas, beer and pizza don't mix when flavored with high voltage.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i guess that was a job "well done" !
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart View Post
here in London, Ontario thieves just stole 170 bronze vases from a cemetery - the vases that go on the headstones. now that's LOW
That has been happening here in New Orleans, they were busted when the attempted to sell them for scrap. Those sell for several hundred dollars. The scum bags were stealing the copper plumbing from houses whose owners were rebuilding after the Katrina flooding, that is low.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
I fear that with the way our economy is going, it's going to get worse before it gets any better.

I asked the parts guy at the Chevy dealer about a locking cap for the 'Burb, he advised against it. For many of the reasons gone over here already (punching holes in the tank, cutting gas lines, etc). At least the thief didn't damage the truck...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sorry to hear about this....be thankful they didn't put anything in the tank!

I've had locking gas caps on my daily driver for well over 10 years now. Folks that want to steal are going to go with the least possible resistance. That is why they hit your truck. It was an easy thing to do. Though the value is high for gas, you tend to see converters from emission control devices stolen in the manner that has been suggested here.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:41 AM   #27
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
that makes a double steal...

first by oil company and then the thieves... sucks.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
It would seem that a switch, cleverly mounted on the gas filler door and connected to a very loud alarm, would be a simple set up. The switch should work by having the filler door pull a pin that could only be replaced, or by-passed, by a knowlegeable person - or something else along that line. I would probably use a self-powered alarm to avoid running the car battery down if no one was around to reset it. A somewhat crude device but less costly than 15 gals of fuel - or a damaged tank (---due to a locking cap!)

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:26 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i've like the pager alarms without the siren. you get to make a few phone calls before you respond to the pager.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Well, my only pay back is the f150 always has a tank full of e85. It should screw something up like an 02 sensor or worse. I can only hope anyway. if they really wante the stuff has a real sweet smell, maybe it will give them a good gut ache and a drunk driving charge.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Back in the days of the gas shortage (I think it was about 1974), I had a problem with someone stealing gas out of my LTD. It had a 26 gallon tank, and a locking cap did zero good. If I was lucky, I'd have enough to get to the gas station at the end of the street the next morning. After several attempts to secure my gas, I got creative.
I went to my neighbor, a dairy farmer, and borrowed an electric fence module, and hooked it up to my car, and plugged it in. About 1 am I heard an ungodly gargling, retching, scream. I put on some clothes, and went out to find an empty 5 gallon gas can next to the car, and a garden hose dangling from the filler. An electric fencer pulses jolts similar to what you would find coming from a high performance ignition coil, or even a stun gun. From evidence at the scene, the "gas borrower" managed to open the gas flap and remove the filler cap between pulses, but happened to get the full effect of the fencer about the time the gas reached his mouth. Residual stomach contents showed gas, beer and pizza don't mix when flavored with high voltage.
He really "blew" that job huh!

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Terry.

Excellent surprise, except it could have backfired, if that gas caught on fire.

I like the wired alarm setup.

No fire hazard.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, another old trick was to remove the filler hose from the outside filler tube. Next you put a new filler tube and cap inside of your trunk. After that, you put a gas can inside of the trunk connected to the original filler neck. [This won't work on all cars] Now you fill that can with 1/2 gas, 1/2 diesel, and about 1/2 can of Comet cleanser. "Go ahead and steal my gas now".
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Talking Doggone Gas Theives

I recommend 30 - 100 pounds of yard dog. The Lowlife theives won't syphon, puncture, or crowbar anything; just spittin' & a gittin'
Old 06-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #35
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart View Post
Man... where's Scotty when you need somebody beamed up!?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:39 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMo View Post
I recommend 30 - 100 pounds of yard dog. The Lowlife theives won't syphon, puncture, or crowbar anything; just spittin' & a gittin'
I presume our 11 cats looking out the front window wouldn't qualify...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #37
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler
I presume our 11 cats looking out the front window wouldn't qualify...
Distilled litterbox contents could always be substituted. There's nothing like a mouthfull of stale cat urine to overcome most larcenous intentions...