Old 06-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #15

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
Seriously, why don't the american manufacturers think that having a non locking filler door is a good idea? My VW has one, as does my wife's Volvo. Guess it's time to get a locking gas cap for the Dodge.
Because gas is too cheap, here, to be bothered stealing it.

Oh, wait--

guess that ain't true, anymore. was when they decided to make the cars that way...

Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I was listening to an automotive guy on the radio the other day talk about locking gas caps. If you have a late model vehicle you need to purchase the locking cap from the car manufacturer. Apparently the late model cars go through emissions test while you drive down the road that checks the integrity of the gas cap via a vacuum. An aftermarket locking gas cap will cause the computer to throw a check engine code because they do not seal properly.

crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #17
2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
A crew here had a hose line on an extendable arm. Siphon pump and tank in their car. Pull up next to a vehicle and siphon it dry.

Now, just wait until the same thieves strip the copper from you AC.
2007 28' Int CCD.
2011 F 250 Big Honking Diesel
DTV 5lnb on a tripod.
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #18
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Twenty years ago I had saddle tanks on my F250 SuperCab Ford with locking caps. We left for a week with the truck parked inside a locked gate, fenced yard and came back to find that they'd removed the rubber connecting hose at the tank, slipped their own over it, and siphoned all but about 5 gals that way. Crooks are ingenious.

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Almost impossible

I have tried to siphon gas out of our 2005 Suburban and was not successful. When I asked my dealer what was up he said that the roll over protection that protects from gas spills in a roll over make it impossible to siphon. But with a 37.5 gal tank I had better install a security system...
"Abe" & Melissa Lincoln
1976 Overlander "Spirit"
2005 Suburban w/q-steer
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California

Best I remember, about 15 years or so, someone tried to siphon gas out of a brand X motorhome, as reported in a newspaper.

Unfortunately, they put the hose in the black water tank flush out filler neck.

They must have left in a hurray, because the hose they used, was left behind.

HOORAY. Bad guy "0" Good guys "1".

But wait. There are coarse screens that you can get at auto parts stores that you insert into the filler neck. Stops that problem, quickly.

But leave it to some of those enterprising grammer school "almost" graduates, they don't mess with the gas filler neck.

Instead, they get under the vehicle, especially trucks, with 5 gallon cans, and simply punch a hole in the bottom of the fuel tank. That with a little funnel, and your in business. No hoses needed.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
here in London, Ontario thieves just stole 170 bronze vases from a cemetery - the vases that go on the headstones. now that's LOW
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #22
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Back in the days of the gas shortage (I think it was about 1974), I had a problem with someone stealing gas out of my LTD. It had a 26 gallon tank, and a locking cap did zero good. If I was lucky, I'd have enough to get to the gas station at the end of the street the next morning. After several attempts to secure my gas, I got creative.
I went to my neighbor, a dairy farmer, and borrowed an electric fence module, and hooked it up to my car, and plugged it in. About 1 am I heard an ungodly gargling, retching, scream. I put on some clothes, and went out to find an empty 5 gallon gas can next to the car, and a garden hose dangling from the filler. An electric fencer pulses jolts similar to what you would find coming from a high performance ignition coil, or even a stun gun. From evidence at the scene, the "gas borrower" managed to open the gas flap and remove the filler cap between pulses, but happened to get the full effect of the fencer about the time the gas reached his mouth. Residual stomach contents showed gas, beer and pizza don't mix when flavored with high voltage.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i guess that was a job "well done" !
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Originally Posted by redstart View Post
here in London, Ontario thieves just stole 170 bronze vases from a cemetery - the vases that go on the headstones. now that's LOW
That has been happening here in New Orleans, they were busted when the attempted to sell them for scrap. Those sell for several hundred dollars. The scum bags were stealing the copper plumbing from houses whose owners were rebuilding after the Katrina flooding, that is low.
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master
1972 Argosy 20
2007 Base Camp
Middletown , New Jersey
I fear that with the way our economy is going, it's going to get worse before it gets any better.

I asked the parts guy at the Chevy dealer about a locking cap for the 'Burb, he advised against it. For many of the reasons gone over here already (punching holes in the tank, cutting gas lines, etc). At least the thief didn't damage the truck...
Bob Fowler

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #26
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sorry to hear about thankful they didn't put anything in the tank!

I've had locking gas caps on my daily driver for well over 10 years now. Folks that want to steal are going to go with the least possible resistance. That is why they hit your truck. It was an easy thing to do. Though the value is high for gas, you tend to see converters from emission control devices stolen in the manner that has been suggested here.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:41 AM   #27
Islay - 63 O.
1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
that makes a double steal...

first by oil company and then the thieves... sucks.
Canadian Atlantic Unit Past President
Protect your dream from others and first yourself...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
It would seem that a switch, cleverly mounted on the gas filler door and connected to a very loud alarm, would be a simple set up. The switch should work by having the filler door pull a pin that could only be replaced, or by-passed, by a knowlegeable person - or something else along that line. I would probably use a self-powered alarm to avoid running the car battery down if no one was around to reset it. A somewhat crude device but less costly than 15 gals of fuel - or a damaged tank (---due to a locking cap!)

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote