Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Question Emergency jump start of tow vehicle

Hi

Considering purchasing a Powerall XL3 to jump start my TV, in the event the battery discharges and will not start. Don,t want to get stranded somewhere in the event we are in an area without phone service or fellow campers that may be able to give us a jump in an emergency.

It claims to have 1000 cranking amps which is large enough to start my ford f250 diesel. The rep claims it will do this 30 times.

Does anyone carry one of these or something similar and is it recommended ?

Harry
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I have a set of jumper cables in the tow vehicle, a 12v battery in the Airstream, and the tools needed to remove the battery from the Airstream.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
That's what I'd prefer, too. That said, Murphy would say that the need for a jump will happen when you have the least amount of time to pull a battery, jump, and then replace the battery and that it will be dark and sleeting at that time with the possibility of a tornado in the neighborhood. <grin>
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
This earlier thread might be helpful:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...rs-166767.html

We bought the NOCO 1000 amp unit discussed in the first post, and other recommendations are good to review.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo1952 View Post
Hi

Considering purchasing a Powerall XL3 to jump start my TV, in the event the battery discharges and will not start. Don,t want to get stranded somewhere in the event we are in an area without phone service or fellow campers that may be able to give us a jump in an emergency.

It claims to have 1000 cranking amps which is large enough to start my ford f250 diesel. The rep claims it will do this 30 times.

Does anyone carry one of these or something similar and is it recommended ?

Harry
Absolutely a good thing to have. I have a similar one, 5 years old with 1500 CCA that I used when I drove a tow truck. It will start and run a big diesel even if the battery is missing completely. Jumper cables are no match for a good jump box.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I carry one as well. Another reason, and actually how I use mine the most, is when my AS batts are getting close to 50%, and I'm leaving first thing in the morning, I'll connect the jump box rather than get out the generator.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:49 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
BIL had a problem starting his diesel. One of the battery harness cables had a poor connection. It's not just a jump, but also good troubleshooting skills, that you be needen. So 30 times is not so out of consideration. Always found a good battery solved a whole batch of issues. Not so sure that these pesky diesels won't require two good batteries. But then, they do. Or at least his did. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Two sets of jumpers can reachfromtv to trailer.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:19 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
One note of caution, I experienced a fire from a lithium battery powered jump starter during a camping trip.

Fortunately, I was able to quickly remove the device and prevent any major damage to my tow vehicle.
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbcpa View Post
One note of caution, I experienced a fire from a lithium battery powered jump starter during a camping trip.

Fortunately, I was able to quickly remove the device and prevent any major damage to my tow vehicle.
While charging or draining or just sitting idle?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up. Could you please tell us the brand and model, as well as any other details, like air temp, the use at the time, and so forth? Was the unit supplying electricity to the TV’s batteries, sitting in the sun, etc..

Thanks for any details which might help others avoid having a fire.

Peter
Old 02-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
It was an early model of the micro-start. ( I think any lithium battery can be subject to this )

Jump starting a dead battery on my expedition after leaving the hatch open overnight camping. ( before any comments, the cables were properly connected )
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #13
S/O mbr. #48

2009 30' SO Classic
Saline , Michigan
12v vs. 24v

You may want to check to see what you vehicles starting voltage is. If you have two batteries in your diesel vehicle, your starting voltage could be 24V. not 12V.
NardEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by NardEngineer View Post
You may want to check to see what you vehicles starting voltage is. If you have two batteries in your diesel vehicle, your starting voltage could be 24V. not 12V.
All commercial diesels that i know of are paralleled 12v batts. Military are 24 volt still, last I knew.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
It was an early model of the micro-start. ( I think any lithium battery can be subject to this )

Jump starting a dead battery on my expedition after leaving the hatch open overnight camping. ( before any comments, the cables were properly connected )
Thanks. Did you disconnect the unit immediately after the engine started? Apparently leaving it connected can lead to problems. Glad you were able to avoid a fire!
Old 02-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I use a Noco GB70 on my Escalade. Already saved my bacon twice.

https://no.co/gb70

http://www.ourflyingcloud.com/2017/03/dead-battery.html
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
I was in the auto repair bis. for over 30 yrs. , also as a side , alternative energy bis. .
Not only replacing batteries & alternators , but rebuilding [ including batteries ] .
So from a professionals perspective , the 1st thing I would do is ask ,
Is draining your battery happening often ?
-- or using your battery in a way that discharges it low / or anything else beside starting your engine ?
If yes to any above - DON'T DO IT , misuse of most any product is going to cost you much more .
There have been all kinds of jump starters , they all had goods & bads like everything .
Alternative jump starter are most problematic for lots of reasons , one of the first was a super battery that I got from the Snap-On Tool dealer , after early failure , I took apart , inside was a very special & rare battery [ never could get a replacement ] - the next problem with it was , it acted like a capacitor - needed to be kept plugged in until used ,
next issue - cost a lot more , needless to say , these are no longer sold .
Next is now lithium battery chemistry , these generally are too expensive because still kinda new , let alone the fire issue , mainly because of chineeze cheap , a quality lithium battery has a good BMS Battery Management System , but then quality costs .
So we are back to just the old lead acid battery jumper boxes , mostly these are relatively cheap , because of the chineeze made are about the only ones out there .
And generally speaking , most of the ones I have had , opened up , I got for free .
This is because they failed for some reason , and so far every one the battery could be matched up with a replacement from almost any of the battery sellers , in the area of about $30-$50 .
Add to that , most of them are doing extra things , like mounted flashlight , aircompressor etc.
One thing to keep in mind is the same with most all batteries / users - is MIS-USE , and this last jumper being sealed lead acid , any lead acid needs to be fully charged at all times , lead batteries all have whats called , sulfating issues - this is a process , that is always happening in a lead base battery , no mater what , the only variation is time and SOC - State Of Charge , as the charge declines - the more sulfation , and the longer a battery is not fully charged - then also increases the process of sulfaction .
So there should be nothing connected to your battery - radio memories , alarm systems etc. all drain batteries over time [ and all batteries have a self-discharge-rate ] .
So with one of these lead based jumpers - keep them plugged into a source of 12v [ min. 13.8 for charging ] , not sure on all , but many only charge through the cigarette plug , so build a wire long enough to store the jumper into both the jumper & your car or truck .
Just a side , I have taken modern plastic case batteries , where there were a couple of dead batteries , and used a hot knife to open 2 batteries , through testing find the bad cell [ most always the pos. cell ] cut internal connection with hack-saw , remove the bad cell from one battery , and good cell from another battery , and put the good cell in place of the bad cell , then solder the connection , hot-glue the case back together .
Now I have one good battery , and 4 more good cells .
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I had a friend jump my Dakota with a 1000 amp module. Instant start!
I purchased a 750 amp unit which will start a 6 cylinder diesel and a V8 gasser but you need the 1000 for your F 250 deisel.
Another advantage over jumper cables is the emergency power for your cellphone or other devices and the LED Lights and emergency flasher built into the module. BTW it charges via a USB cable (included), so you can charge it at home or in the 12V vehicle
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote